Author Topic: 12 Days of Christmas Event 2023  (Read 2428 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: 12 Days of Christmas Event 2023
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2023, 02:09:19 AM »

On the fourth day of Christmas, Sol gave to me, a marvelously soulful Onni! 

Mod's commentary: One of my favourite Onnis in canon was the teary-eyed Onni sleeping rough on the Västerström's doorstep, and Sol has captured his look perfectly, I think.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2023, 03:12:05 AM »
Oh wow, that's an amazing Onni!! Very emotive
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2023, 05:00:44 AM »
Grey, that was unexpected but sweet!

Sol, your Onni is marvelous. You have captured both his Onni look and a wintry look perfectly!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Sol

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2023, 02:58:38 PM »
I'm glad! I really enjoyed painting this

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2023, 12:40:54 AM »

You know what we all associate with the 28 December? 
Oh.  I was hoping you knew.

Our 5th day falls during that liminal time that are technically still part of the holidays for many, but is not itself a holiday. Chores still need to get done, though.  So today, let me honour Mr Just-Get-It-Done-Even-If-It-Is-a-Thankless-Task, Mikkel Madsen.

My condolences to thegreyarea and others who are back at work, and a very happy birthday to those who celebrate.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2023, 05:51:58 AM »
Hmmm, Mikkel reminds me that I should do some laundry… and is gorgeous in the meantime! Thank you Wave!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2023, 06:50:30 AM »
Wow, what a gorgeous artwork Wave! I did in fact have work yesterday (the 27th), but as I'm a student I only work part-time so today I got to relax again.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

dmeck7755

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2023, 11:04:33 AM »
Wonderful art!!  I have laundry also ;)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2023, 11:39:41 AM »
On the fifth day of Christmas the forum gave to me,
five drying shirts
four sighs from Onni
three ghostbird timejumps
two shining lights
and a playlist for the Hotakainen family
(Lol any of you poets feel free to do a better job at this... xD)

Amazing works, everyone!!! And I hope everyone had a nice Christmas/whichever holiday they celebrate!

Jitter, I did a double take at the "tonttujen jouluyö"-song, because a rather famous childrens-songwriter from Germany has made a song with exactly that melody (and the tip-tap-motif). Only it´s not a Christmas-song, but about some kids getting scared by noises in the night which turn out to be their dad getting snacks. Well well well, seems that song wasn´t as original as I thought. Nice to find its origins. :.D
And a very sweet story to go along with all the music!

dmeck, a lovely poem! I also agree very much with the sentiment. <3

Grey, a nice adventure of Tuuribird! She couldn´t help everyone but at least she has some memories of real palmtrees to show for it!

Sol, this is beautiful! Both the expression and the way you painted the texture of the different materials!

Wave, thank you for hosting this!!! And that is a really nice picture, you can really see the wind in the scene!
As to whether this day counts as a holiday, I still don´t have classes until the 7th, but I also have Covid right now so I can´t really enjoy it... -_-
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2023, 12:20:32 PM »
Mirasol, great filking!

The song Tonttujen jouluyö is listed for a Wilhelm Sefve aka Svensson but I have no info whether Wilhelm is Swedish, Finnish, German or other. We have quite a lot of Christmas songs that are originally German, although I hope most of the ones I listed are originally Finnish or at least the words are original rather than translation. We do of course get a lot of the Anglosaxon songs, both in English and in translation, but I didn’t care to include those as I’m pretty sure everyone has already heard them sufficiently many times by the 24th :reynir:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2023, 01:44:07 AM »

The classic song from which this event takes its name is chock-full of gifted birds, which is appropriate for today's gift to us, from our esteemed admin Keep Looking.

Keep's notes: "Nokikana means coot in Finnish. The Eurasian coot is found across parts of Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia, including both my home and in Finland.

I hope you all don't mind I haven't written a poem this time! I wasn't in a particularly poetic mood, so you get to try my first shot at fanfiction instead."

Year 87, Keuruu

Keuruu was a place of routines. Lalli liked routines.

He knew when he had to get out of bed and when he had to report to the scouting headquarters. He knew the different scouting routes, and how long he was expected to patrol for, and what food the canteen would serve when he got back.

Tuuri said Keuruu was boring and stifling. She wanted to see new and exciting places full of different people - like Reykjavik, wherever that was. Sometimes she would say these things when Onni was around, and they would start arguing. Lalli thought Tuuri was being stupid. Life was easier if he let the routines carry him from day to day, falling into a safe and predictable rhythm.

There were other rhythms in Keuruu too. Grandma had said it was important for mages to pay attention to the changing seasons and the cycles of living creatures. Keuruu was not Saimaa where the lakes and islands were endless, but the land was still alive here.

As summer approached and the days got longer, Lalli’s return route from second shift night scouting would take him by the lakeside just as dawn was breaking. Lalli would run the last few hundred metres back to the scouts headquarters to the squawks and honks of the waking waterbirds. Ducks, geese, even swans, and flocks of white-beaked nokikana.

Every May, the nokikana would make their scraggly little raft nests out in the reeds. Soon enough, the chicks would be out following their parents, their bright red and yellow heads like tiny flames on the water.

One time after Lalli had a night off, Tuuri woke him up from napping, insisting that he should “go outside” and “talk to people”. Lalli thought this was stupid, as he was perfectly happy napping. Still, he let Tuuri drag him to the canteen, where he picked at his food while Tuuri chatted to some other skalds. Afterwards, they went out to the lakeside. The nokikana were out on the lake with their chicks. Tuuri turned to Lalli with an excited look, like she’d just remembered something.

“You know Lalli, we have a book about birds here in Keuruu. It says that nokikana are found on three different old-world continents! You could travel thousands and thousands of kilometres away from Keuruu, and you might still spot them.”

“Mrr.” Lalli didn't really understand what Tuuri was so excited about. Of course birds were found in other places. Wasn’t that how birds worked?

“Lalli? Are you listening? Imagine all the places we could see nokikana… if only we could get out of Keuruu! We’ll make it someday, Lalli!”

Tuuri grabbed Lalli by the shoulders. Lalli twisted until he was free, and ran back to his room. Tuuri was getting weird. This meant that it was better to leave, or she’d start saying weird things around Onni again. Lalli was already seeing the nokikana here. Why would he need to see them anywhere else?

Year 91, Saimaa

Lalli was pretty sure this house was safe. There were no traces of trolls and everything was surprisingly tidy, despite being understandably run-down after nearly a century of abandonment. Maybe the owners had moved out before the rash had happened.

The others would be glad. It was very rainy. Emi was probably whining about his hair already.

Still, Lalli made sure to check the big chest of drawers in the main room. Sometimes small vermin beasts would nest in drawers and cupboards. Other times, they might have food or interesting items. Like the funny colourful cube Lalli had found in that strange old-world building with shelves full of small objects.

Unfortunately, the drawer only contained a strange, shiny piece of paper. It was coated in a transparent substance that was peeling at the corners. On one side was a picture of a nokikana paddling in an unfamiliar-looking lake. The other side had a message, slightly blurred by water damage and the wrinkling of the transparent covering.

Thankfully, most of the message was in Finnish.

“Dear Täti Lilja - Merry Christmas from Australia!”

Lalli paused. He was unsure what “Merry Christmas” meant, although he was sure that he’d seen it somewhere. Maybe. He would ask Emil about it later. He was also unsure of what Australia was, although he assumed it was some kind of foreign, old world country. Like “Singapore”. Tuuri had always gone on about some place called “Singapore”, after she’d found a booklet about it by someone called “Lonely Planet”. Apparently it had been a city full of old world technology, and travellers from other parts of the world could “fly” there. Lalli wasn’t sure how they were able to fly places. Tuuri had tried to tell him about old world cities and technology, but all Lalli knew from the photos in her booklet was that they were dangerous places full of tall buildings that probably had lots of trolls in them. Old world people were very stupid like that.

“My studies here have been going well, and I’ve made a few friends. The weather is very hot though! It feels strange to have warm weather at Christmas. December is still winter to me!”

Lalli considered this line carefully. He was not aware that months could be other seasons. Foreign countries were weird.

“There’s a nice lake near my accommodation, and I’ve been going for walks every weekend. I know you were probably wanting pictures of interesting Australian animals, but the nokikana feel like old friends, and I can’t help taking photos. They call them “coots” here, which I found funny. Still, it’s nice to see some familiar wildlife. It’s like a bit of home has followed me here.”

Lalli flipped the paper over again. He looked at the nokikana, paddling past a strange papery tree trunk that stood in the water. Even in a foreign country, it looked just like the ones in Keuruu.

Tuuri had wanted to see nokikana all over the world. Lalli wondered if she’d have been excited to see this picture. Lalli had thought that birds would be the same anywhere, but even some of the birds in Denmark had been different.

If souls were birds when the swan took them to Tuonela, Lalli thought that maybe Tuuri’s soul was the kind of bird that travelled to different places. It probably didn't work like that. Probably the swan just took the souls to rest, and nobody worried about what kind of bird they were. This felt like a stupid thing that Emil would say. Still.

Lalli carefully placed the picture back in the drawer, and ran outside to bring the others in.

Somewhere else, a small white bird flew above a strange looking lake. Travelling this far was probably risking her freedom a bit, but Tuuri had always thought that some things were worth the risk.

Besides, physical distance didn't matter so much in this form. As far as Onni knew, she was just scouting for him. She would return soon.

For now, Tuuri swooped over the flocks of nokikana that gathered on these distant waters. She heard the piercing whistle-call of odd-looking black ducks, and the warble of a small brown bird in the reeds. Trees with sheets of pale paper-like bark stood on the waters’ edge, and the swans among them were black instead of white. Even if their quest didn't work out, it was worth re-awakening just to see this place, where everything familiar was somehow new all over again.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 01:47:16 AM by wavewright62 »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2023, 01:45:47 AM »
She says she didn't write any poetry, and yet I am taken with the poetic imagery evoked - little flames gliding on the water ooooo!  A very successful first fanfic indeed.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2023, 06:09:29 AM »
I agree with Wave, very poetic prose!

Apparently I’m allergic to nokikana, sniff. Oh the precious children, both of them! (At first this read precious chicken, which also would have worked, nokikana literally translates to soot chicken).

On a personal level, just this past summer I have enjoyed seeing coots in Switzerland and Italy. I’m not 100% sure whether I’ve ever seen them in Finland, but when enjoying their company I was aware that they live in Finland too (I just checked, I probably haven’t seen them in Finland, they are fairly rare here, despite which they are hunted!).

So too points, I think they are very pretty and I fully agree with Tuuri’s awe at thinking about the wide world. I’ve also been deeply moved by this, for example a few years back when we were talking about the starry skies here on the Forum, and Keep mentioned Orion being so bright, and then Orion was up and magnificent here too and I thought about me and Keep looking at the same stars at the opposite ends of the Earth and then I was allergic to stars 🥲

Yeah so thank you Keep for this lovely piece of not poetry, and Wve again for organizing this. And all of you Forumites for being here!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2023, 01:46:51 AM »

On this 7th Day of our event, I am delighted to present to you this hot take on tradition from gjuerne

gjuerne's intro, “In honor of Reynir’s Icelandic heritage, Mikkel and Sigrun have dressed up as Gryla and one of her Yule Lad sons. Mikkel, skald that he is, knows that although their modern depiction is quite benevolent their old world origins are much less so. And thus Mikkel contemplates the candles he has added to the Yule porridge Sigrun is about to serve the crew. He is delighted that he has accomplished the traditional mischievous aspect of the festivities.”

Please note that your humble mod is guffawing. {ahem}

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2023, 01:49:24 AM »
Happy holidays all! I am just catching up here, as I have been busy... writing...
Anyway, it's been fascinating! I feel like all the contributions fit together so well. Especially the two Tuuri-stories, which seem to share her exploratory bird-spirit. (And they're both so well constructed, as stories, with a lovely emotional payoff.)
Dmeck's poem looks out over the world as well, with hope that seems similarly Tuuri-like.
And then we have the more domestic side of things, with jitter's Finnish Yule (it's fascinating to hear those songs!), and with those two drawings of Onni and Mikkel looking just as one would imagine them looking on their relevant days. (Or at least as I would imagine them looking: Onni broody, Mikkel busy.) I also appreciate the skill that went into both the pictures. As others have already mentioned, the coziness of Onni's outfit and the wind in the laundry both come across really well.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others