Author Topic: SSSSecret Santa 2023  (Read 4984 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: SSSSecret Santa 2023
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2023, 05:12:47 AM »
I figured it was the Voynich at some point, I too know of it although obviously not in any depth. I wonder if Onni can work out the cure from it, maybe together with Reynir? Or will it require a joint research effort by the Finnish mages and the Acdemy of the Seiður? This has the starting point of an interesting arc right here!

So mext up, guesses galore, although I do realize we have yet to see gjuerne’s gift and that may influence the guesses.

Róisín’s art

Spoiler: show
By Angsstronaut

Wave’s art

ny gjuerne

Looney’s story

by Wave

Angsttronaut’s story

by Looney

Mine was already established to be by Dmeck.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 05:18:48 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

gjuerne

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2023, 10:09:31 PM »
I Love Love Love 💕 my gift!

It’s been a busy few days with various bits of family, and as I drove hither and thither, I was able to contemplate fond memories of the five great aunts who were such an important part of my childhood. This story struck so many resonating chords in me, from important protective great aunts to my Saami heritage and nature themes.

And here it is!

————
LUONTO

“Well” said the ancient aunt. “Given our family traditions, I had not been expecting a lagomorph. But that is what the child appears to have. A big one, too. I hope it is able to protect her well.”

The old lady frowned down at her tiny greatniece. The baby was sleeping on her side, her face peaceful and her small body curled around a mass of soft grey fur. Not that anyone outside the family would have been able to see anything more than the sleeping infant. Not unless they were from a Latvian, Saami, Finnish, Estonian or Karelian tradition and were sufficiently in tune with nature to perceive the companion spirits that bonded with children and became a third part of their souls when the child cut their first tooth, or when they received their names. Sometimes these spirits were formless, or wore the shape of a respected ancestor, but often they looked like animals, and caused the child to show characteristics of the creature they resembled - a child whose companion was a moose might be strong and enduring, a squirrel child would be curious and talkative, always poking into things that were none of their business, her own adder made her clever and creative and a dangerous person to cross. This baby’s rabbit brought luck and survival skills, a fondness for children and an ability to endure harsh conditions of life.

The old lady wondered how long it would take for the souls of her family to adapt enough to their adopted homeland to start attracting local spirits, if that ever happened. She smiled at the thought of how a kangaroo luonto might behave. At least it would be strong enough to bring warmth to the body, that animal heat which was a part of the luonto’s gift to its human, along with a link to the magic of the land. But her own roots were Estonian and many generations deep, so adapting might take centuries……

The old lady let her hand drift down to pet the grey, silky fur. As a close relative and one of those who would be caring for the child she was entitled to do so, and knew she would provoke no defensive reaction. All she could feel was a warmth, a softness that was immaterial but very real, and she smiled, knowing that to the baby its presence would be as solid and comforting as that of a real animal. The luonto blinked open its eyes, which were as blue as those of the child, and stared into her own.

“Hello Auntie” it said. “Don’t be worried. I will stay with this little one her life long, and love and protect her as I know you will.”

All would be well.

———

I am really bad at guessing, and we have so many talented writers amongst our fandom …

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2023, 10:24:32 PM »
gjuerne,Wonderful story.  My guess on this one is Róisín :)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2023, 05:35:53 AM »
Wait, you mean the Estonian character wasn't a dead giveaway??!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2023, 05:36:36 AM »
It is lovely! And I concur with Dmeck, it’s Róisín’s!

Now I also womder what a kangaroo luonto would mean. Or an emu, or even better a cassowary? Great white shark? Platypus?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2023, 08:26:36 AM »
Yep, that one is mine! Glad you liked it! And what inspired the story was speculation from a friend who is the daughter of an Estonian/Finnish mother and a Scottish/Australian father, who have a farm not far from where I live in country South Australia, and who are all steeped in the traditions of both cultures, and both my friend and her brother have very traditional Finnish first names because of their mum’s family traditions. All of them are fascinating people.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2023, 04:26:40 PM »
Hehee  :mikkel:
Well I tried, feebly I admit, to throw doubt onto the guess but nobody bit. It was an undeniably Róisín story, and lovely for that.
We have spme really nice works here, don't we? So many thanks to Keep Looking for organising this year's event!

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

gjuerne

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2023, 08:59:55 AM »
Thank you, Roisin! You were my first guess because you are so gifted at weaving old lore into a story, but we do have so many talented folks here I couldn’t be quite certain.

I agree, Wave. A HUGE THANK YOU to Keep Looking for organizing this year’s event <3 <3 <3

dmeck7755

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2023, 10:37:28 AM »
Keep,
Thank you for organizing this.  It would be a much sadder holiday season without your hard work.  Thanks!!

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2023, 03:31:40 PM »
So, two down, four to go! If your contribution has been correctly guessed, please identify yourself :)

Keep will be giving the correct answers soon but it’s funnier if we work it out!

gjuerne

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2023, 06:45:01 PM »
Oops, didn’t promptly acknowledge that wavewright guessed correctly! Yes, I sketched the caroling critters in all their discordant glory.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2023, 02:55:26 AM »
Well, Jitter tagged mine correctly, as a gift for LooNEY_DAC.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2024, 04:49:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for participating and I'm really glad you enjoyed it  ;D

Good job everyone who guessed their giftees correctly! Here's the list of gifters and giftees if anyone was wondering. Happy new year to everyone!

Róisín --> gjuerne
wavewright62 --> LooNEY_DAC
dmeck7755 --> Jitter
Jitter --> dmeck7755
angsttronaut --> Róisín
gjuerne --> wavewright62
LooNEY_DAC -->angsttronaut
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

dmeck7755

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2024, 03:17:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for participating and I'm really glad you enjoyed it  ;D

Good job everyone who guessed their giftees correctly! Here's the list of gifters and giftees if anyone was wondering. Happy new year to everyone!

Róisín --> gjuerne
wavewright62 --> LooNEY_DAC
dmeck7755 --> Jitter
Jitter --> dmeck7755
angsttronaut --> Róisín
gjuerne --> wavewright62
LooNEY_DAC -->angsttronaut

Well I was wrong (LOL).  Thought the story was great!!!

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2024, 06:29:26 PM »
Dmeck! You sort of guessed. The opening bit about the silver envelope was from Keep (or possibly traditional Secret Santa thing?) and the same for everyone :) But I didn’t want to point this out because I would have outed myself. And then no one else suggested any work as mine so I couldn’t comment further.