Poll

Vote for your favourite!

Lalli Hotakainen
10 (71.4%)
Sigrun Eide
4 (28.6%)
I'm sulking bc my favourite is not here dammit (but you have to post a msg about who it is if you're going to pick this one)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: November 08, 2023, 06:15:09 AM

Author Topic: SSSS Character Smackdown Finals! Who is the fandom's ULTIMATE favourite?  (Read 333 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Happy Anniversary, Stand Still Stay Silent!
On 1 November 2013, page 1 of SSSS made its appearance.  Since then, thousands of people have been enthralled by its enticing mix of art, mythos, worldbuilding, and most of all its characters.

Siince the end of August, we've been running a series of polls narrowing down dozens of trolls, minor characters, members of the crew's extended family, and of course the crew itself, to find the fandom's favourite character.

You, the combined fandom of the Forum and tumblr, narrowed it down to: Lalli Hotakainen v Sigrun Eide (cue thunderous shouts and applause) 
These two are opposites in nearly every way.

Lalli's character strikes a chord with so many of the fans.  He's just a little guy, does not make friends easily, gets overwhelmed by too much stimulation, does not really understand what is going on, and many fans tag him as neurodivergent to greater or lesser extent. But we get quite a bit of worldbuilding thanks to watching him discover this world.

He is however, perfectly suited for his job as a scout, and fulfills so many fans' deepest fantasies as a magic wielder to boot!.

Sigrun Eide, on the other hand, is tall, loud, confident even where she doesn't know what's going on, ebullient, brash, is at ease socially and as a commander, and relishes the action-packed life of a troll hunter. 

Many catchphrases we use in the fandom originated with her.

One of the things this mod likes about them is the growth they experienced throughout Adventure 1.  Sigrun grappled with the loss of her teammates (not knowing that two of them were still alive). 

This scene was played for laughs, but this mod appreciates that she took her first opportunity to apologise to Tuuri.

Lalli's growth arc saw him repeatedly test and finally exceed the limits of his magical ability, but brought a strange and wonderful surprise - finding haven in the dream space of his friend Emil.  (Boy, has the fandom had fun with the ramifications of that!)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 04:55:33 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: SSSS Character Smackdown Finals! Who is the fandom's ULTIMATE favourite?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 08:40:42 AM »
Happy anniversary to SSSS!!!!

I voted for Sigrun because I suspect that Lalli is going to win out of sheer popularity and it's a proud Australian tradition to barrack for the underdogs. Also I liked her end of Adv 1 depression arc. The bonking scene was particularly good. I also wish to embody her spirit of assertiveness (if perhaps with a little less overconfidence).
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: SSSS Character Smackdown Finals! Who is the fandom's ULTIMATE favourite?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 11:48:13 AM »
Happy belated birthday, SSSS!

Finding this comic meant so much to me... It sparkled my first online interactions, sharing my fanart and fanfiction and also meeting the most best people!

I did not vote, because recent times where particularly complicated, but of course (look at my signature) I'd have voted for Sigrun (even if I also love Lalli).

Thank you so much, Wave, for doing this. <3
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society