Author Topic: YoinkTober 2022 - Tarotober  (Read 4448 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: YoinkTober 2022 - Tarotober
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 07:34:35 PM »
3 - 9 of Cups - (U) Self-Satisfaction / (R) Self-Criticism

What can be more self-satisfied than cats or their owner showing pictures of their cats ;)
Spoiler: show

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 05:05:43 AM »
Finally catching up a bit!

Some lovely drawings to start things off (sadly I have not seen the show, listened to the podcast, or played the game, though), and then, the ficlets! Death was always going to be sad, and it is in both takes, even with the addition of the flowers. The emotional takes are, however, all amusing. Well done!
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 10:53:16 AM »
Oo, kitties!

Another character muses in 100 words exact.

Btw while I assume you can tell who is "talking" it would be fun to have you state your guess. Or the first one to do so at least :) Mauri was of course correct on the first one.

4.10. 6 of Swords (U & R)

O Heavenly Father, hold me in your hand. Give strength to your humble servant. I remain to help the helpless, and I will do all I can to fulfil your bidding. But Father, would it be too impudent of me to ask for this work to reach an end? I bear what I must, but I am tired and lost. 
O Father, give me your light to guide me in this darkness. I am so very weary, and my mind grows dark and confused. I fear the day when I will lose hold of You, like I have lost myself.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 11:26:27 AM »
Oo, kitties!

Another character muses in 100 words exact.

Btw while I assume you can tell who is "talking" it would be fun to have you state your guess. Or the first one to do so at least :) Mauri was of course correct on the first one.

4.10. 6 of Swords (U & R)

O Heavenly Father, hold me in your hand. Give strength to your humble servant. I remain to help the helpless, and I will do all I can to fulfil your bidding. But Father, would it be too impudent of me to ask for this work to reach an end? I bear what I must, but I am tired and lost. 
O Father, give me your light to guide me in this darkness. I am so very weary, and my mind grows dark and confused. I fear the day when I will lose hold of You, like I have lost myself.

Anne?

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 11:40:51 AM »
Yes, of course. Although I suppose it could be someone (anyone?) from the prologue as well.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 12:15:04 PM »
Yes, of course. Although I suppose it could be someone (anyone?) from the prologue as well.

True, but to me it felt like Anne

-Frank Zappa

dmeck7755

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 12:21:08 PM »
4 - 6 of Swords - (U) Retreat from Travail / (R) Endurance

Sigrun, Mikkel and Reynir started the procession to the meeting place. None of them wanted to move.  Sigrun knew if they lingered it would mean death to all.  So as tired as she was, she forced all to continue onward. 

Emil looked at Lalli, his heart breaking for the anguish he knew Lalli was feeling. He knew Lalli would have been ok continuing on without him, but something in Emil's heart said Lalli may choose not to.  He wanted Lalli to make it and he was going to walk through the ends of the earth to make sure he did. Both will "suck it up"and continue to the meeting place.

I like writing the little snippets, they are giving me ideas for stories (If I can be not lazy...)

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 02:27:40 PM »
Dmeck, thank you for the Anne comment!

And yes, writing tiny scenes is surprisingly refreshing! That’s the magic of YoinkTober right there :)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 03:11:29 AM »
It's actually the evening of the 5th, but I have made a picture for the the 4th - Retreat from Travail
Is there anything better than collapsing into your favourite armchair with a nice cuppa after a long day?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

dmeck7755

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 08:22:36 AM »
Wave, That looks like my spouse.. :)

Plus it does look sooo comfortable

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2022, 09:44:01 AM »
Oo now I want to go have a little lie down. But alas, not yet.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2022, 01:45:29 PM »
5.10. 2 of pentacles (U? R? Why not both?)

Minkähän takia se Onni olisi Saimaalle lähtenyt? Keuruullahan se on koko aikuisikänsä asunut. Olisiko tuo tanskalainen kaveri sekoittanut asiat? Onnin islantihan on kyllä aika huonoa. Mutta niin, kai sillä on Keuruulla se työpaikkakin. Meniköhän se nyt ihan surusta sekaisin sen Tuurin homman takia…

Surkea juttu kyllä se. Oli se niin huimapäinen likka, lähteä nyt tuommoiseen reissuun vaikkei ole immuuni! Intohan sillä oli kova, pikkulikkana jo. En minä sitä painostanut, itse se aina halusi lähteä. Minkä minä sille voin?

No kuitenkin, kaipa pitäisi yrittää selvittää minne Onni meni ja katsoa onko sillä asiat kunnossa. Vaikka ei tämä tilanne minun syytäni olekaan.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2022, 02:45:33 PM »
Wave, I am sad to say that your picture, while fabulous, doesn't seem that relaxing to me. Don't you have to do a sit-up every time you want to take a sip? (Or does the chair help somehow? Or am I the only person who can't drink tea while lying down?)

And Jitter, I don't think Google Translate does your drabble justice. I think it might be Taru thinking, but phrases like "It was such a dizzying piece of shit, to go on a trip like that now even though I'm not immune!" are a little confusing...

I really need to try to get into this drabble business. Maybe tomorrow.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2022, 03:04:36 PM »
Jitter, such lovely drabbles! Even without names you can clearly tell who is speaking!

Spoiler: my guesses for 2 and 3 • show
...as these two haven´t been guessed yet. Though it is clear I think, so technically no spoiler necessary, but better safe than sorry: 2 would be Reynir´s mom. And 3 Siv.

As for the latest one, my Finnish is not beyond the most basic yet, but what I can tell is that the POV-person is remeniscing about Onni, "that Dane", Tuuri and Reynir who is possibly in Keuruu right now(?) Also they seem to be angry about something that is happening to them despite them being not immune.
Spoiler: very hopeless guessing • show
Hmmmm. So it seems to be neither Tuuri nor Onni talking... Maybe actually Reynir?
(haha please do tell how far I´m off the mark.) :'D

Dmeck, your little scenes are lovely too! Hehe yeah, these short prompts do often inspire stories much too long to finish in one day (or drawings...  O:-) )
EDIT: And how could I forget!? Kitties!!! <3 <3 <3

A very comfy scene, wave. It might inspire me to make myself cocoa later.

Breaking news, Yesterday was not in fact Monday, as I´d assumed for an embarassing amount of that day. Tuesdays I´m not actually home for most of it. So I´m only getting around to posting things now. ^^'

3: Self-satisfaction (spoilered due to slight spoilers for the Splatoon 3 single-player-mode)

Spoiler: show
This is Frye, one of the idols (=news anchor) from the new Splatoon-game. She confuses me deeply. On the one hand, she seems to have a rather cute and cuddly personality from how she moves and speaks. On the other, she might set her pet morays on you if you get in her way.
Look how satisfied she looks with the fact she just killed me for the fifth time with the same attack :V

(but a question for ye native English speakers. In the English dub of the game her morays are called "eels". I´ve only heard that in the context of these fellas so far. Did they do that for the pun (her fight is called "the eel-deal") or are eels and morays the same thing?)

4: 6 of Swords

So my brain is currently coping with its fading fixation on the Magnus Archives by latching onto everything else Jonathan Sims has worked on. For now that means the Mechanisms. (expect more art for both of these things for the rest of the month :P )
So if I could interest anyone in some Norse myths-inspired space-steampunk, have Loki and Sygin in their interpretation from "the bifrost incident". They´d both actually fit the "endurance"-prompt best but I really wanted to draw a turnaround-card and the mental image of Sygin defending herself with chains was just too cool.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:05:25 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2022, 05:37:02 PM »
Mirasol, your drawings are delightful again! You are right on 2 and 3.

I guess I’ll have to offer a translation because google transgarble is a failure. Who would’ve thought?

Oh, I wonder why Onni woul have gone to Saimaa? After all, he’s lived all his adult life in Keuruu. I womder if the Danish fella has things mixed up? Onni’s Icelandic is admittedly quite bad. But anywaya, he probably has a job in Keuruu too. I wonder if he’s all messed up with sorrow because of the business with Tuuri…

That was indeed a sorry business. She was such a foolhardy lass, to go on such a trip even though she wasn’t immune! She was always so keen, already when she was a tiny girl. I didn’t pressure her, she was always wanting to go. Who am I to say no to her?

Well anyways, I suppose I should try to find out where Onni went and make sure things are all right with him.  Even though this situation isn’t my fault.

Incidentally this is a drabble in Finnish and 143 words in English. Had I tried to trim it, I could have conveyed the message in less words, but the (quick and dirty) translation tries to reflect the style I used. Finnish words are versatile :)