Author Topic: Music that fits SSSS?  (Read 71028 times)

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
Re: Music that fits SSSS?
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2016, 08:49:11 AM »
I know it's likely been posted already, but has anyone suggested "sound of silence" by Simon and Garfunkel?

I feel it would really fit well with the gloomy atmosphere of a world empty and in ruins.
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »
I know it's likely been posted already, but has anyone suggested "sound of silence" by Simon and Garfunkel?

I feel it would really fit well with the gloomy atmosphere of a world empty and in ruins.
Someone (not sure who :( )actually made a music video of it  ^-^
Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
Haaaaah, yaaaay!!! :D So glad someone did that!
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

IKEA

« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »
That's pretty impressive. Another song that fits well is "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd: gives a slightly spooky, forgotten and desolate feeling.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:57:25 PM by IKEA »

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2016, 11:06:28 AM »
Although it's more general, Hawkwind's "The Watcher" might fit.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2016, 12:45:59 PM »
I didn't realise we had this thread! I would have posted this:

here if I had. I think it quite nicely catches the feel of the prologue (it is about the survivors of a plague, after all) even if it is about something else.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
I'm really glad someone already brought up Finlandia. Sibelius is an incredible composer and Finlandia is one of the first pieces I thought of in regards to SSSS. There's also wonderful nordic folk songs someone reccomend to me one time in the comments and I've been listening to those both for the purpose that they make me think of SSSS and they're just gorgeous songs on their own. The first one especially reminds me when Lalli enters the dream world because as soon as I got to those parts I was just like "dang, I need some pretty and mysterious sounding Finnish folk music because I can practically already hear it during those parts."

As for something that's a bit more modern and 'pop' a lot of songs by 'Of Monsters and Men' really makes me think of SSSS, especially this one even though the words are somewhat vague and at some parts downright nonsensical I still can't help but feel some SSSS imagery. Especially when it mentions the 'creatures of snow' and it especially makes me think of Lalli who I've always seen as almost feral in his personality.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »
A lot of songs by Leaves' Eyes have always made me think of SSSS. Specifically "New Found Land" (detailing a journey into the unknown):

and "Senses Capture" (which always makes me think of the dream realm):

Another bonus: the vocalist is Norwegian!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Demon-Something

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2016, 01:33:25 AM »
Radiohead always came to mind during the prologue, especially the Sweden scene.

This one really felt like a desolate, scary, snowy scene filled with the anxiety of a crumbling civilization.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »
Demon-Something: Yes! The prologue made me think of Radiohead as well.
Also, the entire comic reminds me of this Shearwater song:

I'm not sure why, but that song makes me think of a journey through lost worlds...
Also, this song:

This just seems to remind me of Stand Still, Stay Silent... even with the "Welcome Home" lyrics, which don't really fit.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
I'm not sure why, but that song makeeven with the "Welcome Home" lyrics, which don't really fit.

I feel like the 'Welcome Home' lyrics do kinda work! In the sense that they're going back to lands that used to be occupied by people that nobody uninfected (that we know of) has really been to in a long time, so they're going back to places that used to be civilization and a lot of people's homes, and they might be the first uninfected humans there in a long time, so lyrically it still kind of works I think, maybe but I dunno if that really makes sense  :P But yeah I'd have to agree I feel like the sound of that song really fits SSSS too :3

Edit:Sorry that's probably super incoherent, I haven't really slept in three days except for little sporadic cat naps due to scrambling to finish a term paper on time :c
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:21:45 PM by Juniper »

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »
Sorry that's probably super incoherent, I haven't really slept in three days except for little sporadic cat naps due to scrambling to finish a term paper on time :c
No, it's okay! I think I understood what you meant!
Not only are they exploring new worlds, they are returning to the homes their ancestors left behind. Something like that, maybe? (I might be a little sleep-deprived myself...) :P
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2016, 09:34:47 PM »
Radiohead always came to mind during the prologue, especially the Sweden scene.
This one really felt like a desolate, scary, snowy scene filled with the anxiety of a crumbling civilization.
The visions of the dead city and the tall dead guys make em automatically remember "How to disappear completely"... Good choice.

Demon-Something: Yes! The prologue made me think of Radiohead as well.
I'm not sure why, but that song makes me think of a journey through lost worlds...
Also, this song:
This just seems to remind me of Stand Still, Stay Silent... even with the "Welcome Home" lyrics, which don't really fit.
Going back to the Cat-tank after a busy autumn evening... fits perfectly ^^
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2016, 11:11:58 AM »
As mentioned quite a while ago about "Banner saga" OST, there is now a sequel for it "Banner saga 2" with more song that could work. All done by the same composer Austin Wintory.
It's mostly non-vocal with a few exception.

/>
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2016, 11:51:19 AM »
Hamradun's "Sneppan":

Is it cheating to use a song that's already about the black death? But I mean. It's about a woman who was the only survivor of her village, and after the sickness passed she was so wild and horrible or stricken that she didn't rejoin society in another village, rather those neighbours came and threw meat off a cliff down to her so she wouldn't starve. And sunset/night imagery is used all through the song in a way that transfers perfectly as a literal interpretation for SSSS...

So for SSSS one could think of such a story about the only immune person of a village, horrible enough lonely fate; but to me it kind of sounds like she trollified and they kept throwing her meat (or live mammals, who knows) anyway, as she stayed safely on the bottom of the cliff; she was enough herself that someone still wanted to take care of her or cling to her as the only thing left of that village... (However, according to the song, this one gets a happy ending: she will invite a final death when she's sufficiently overcome by the horribleness of her existence!)
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark: