Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580897 times)

Regolith247

• DeviantArt
  • Prepare for Lunacy
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1950 on: February 01, 2016, 01:46:20 AM »
Hi, Reg! I know there are a few other aviation peeps here (I'm waffling around the edges of that interest, it's really cool but I'm not super super invested). What do you think of Mechanical? I'm trying to decide between doing that or Aerospace when I go to college (next school year).

Also, G0vnah, Mechanical is sort of the general Engineering when you want to distinguish it from, say Civil (bridges, sewers, etc.) or Electrical. It more has to do with "how do these pieces that could be part of anything interact and move together?"

I'm not very far into the program just yet, but I'm liking it so far! I opted for ME partly because of the school, and partly because of the fact that Mechanical Engineers have skills that are applicable in pretty much any field, including Aeronautics and Aerospace. It's not something that you should take my word on, however- you should try to talk to an Aerospace Engineer and get their feedback on the subject.

Aviation Enthusiasts for the win!
"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what defines a mans faith."
-Brandon Sanderson, The Well of Ascension

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1951 on: February 01, 2016, 06:07:18 AM »
Welcome, Regolith :) :squirrelcookie:
Is it the moment I say I have an engineer friend working in aviation motors and admit I understand nothing when she speaks about her job ? ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1952 on: February 01, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Regolith! I've also been a reader since the aRTD days, but didn't start obsessively hanging out in the forum until a few months ago. It's good to have you here!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1953 on: February 01, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »
Welcome Regolith247

(Interesting you should say that about mechanical and aerospace.  My dad's undergraduate degree is in aeronautical engineering (which is what they called it way back then), but when he went to grad school he switched to mechanical.  My own degree is physics, which is pretty much useless ;) )

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #1954 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »
Also, G0vnah, Mechanical is sort of the general Engineering when you want to distinguish it from, say Civil (bridges, sewers, etc.) or Electrical. It more has to do with "how do these pieces that could be part of anything interact and move together?"

Ah, I see. Thanks!
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

Dorsalus

• Tumblr
« Reply #1955 on: February 02, 2016, 05:44:31 AM »
I'm Regolith. I'm a first year Mechanical Engineering student, aviation enthusiast, hobbyist writer, and dedicated Minnion from back in the aRTD days. This is maybe my second time actually posting in the forum, so hey guys!

Welcome, I'm 6 years into a Mechatronic Engineering degree so hopefully you get through it a bit faster than me. ;) And yeah you can use an engineering degree for anything that involves projects, management or, surprisingly, project management, so my advice is to try all the different facets. Process engineering, management, validation, project planning and so on, find what you enjoy the most while you're studying so you know what you want to do once you get out.

Noodly, it pretty much depends what you want out of the study. I would recommend Aerospace if what you're planning to do is quite related to it, otherwise Mechanical is a bit more widely applicable. One of my friends I started with in my Mechatronic degree is currently studying part-time while he runs his orbital payload deployment start-up company, so as long as you're passionate, you'll make it work.
However if you want a job at an established aero company (Boeing, Lockheed, Space-X) you will need an Aerospace degree to work directly on their main projects, or so I've heard. They can be... selective in that sense.

I am a little biased because the fluid mechanics equations you use for flow look like this (and I have to do my next Fluid Mechanics subject this upcoming semester), though fortunately a large percentage of the terms drop out for most applications.

(Yes that is a single equation.)
Native :australia:
Learning :norway: :finland:
Want to learn  :poland: :russia:

:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #1956 on: February 02, 2016, 06:32:59 AM »
I am a little biased because the fluid mechanics equations you use for flow look like this

You lie! That clearly summons Nyarlathotep!

;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mélusine

« Reply #1957 on: February 02, 2016, 06:45:04 AM »
You lie! That clearly summons Nyarlathotep!

;D
It explains so many things... ^^ Like, a part of me knew maths wasn't for me. Too dangerous :P
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1958 on: February 02, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »

Wait wait wait... *presses nose against screen* It's been years since I've seen a proper fluid mechanics equation! That's a topic I obviously decided not to study further in, but I always get a little bit of geek-out when I see something I recognize.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1959 on: February 02, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »

It's bee so long that I'm sure I no longer understand any of that.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #1960 on: February 02, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »

O_O

*hides from the scary math*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1961 on: February 02, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »

Though, I also have the feeling you made it longer than it had to be by writing out the gradient etc. ;)

Troposphère

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • because chaos.
« Reply #1962 on: February 02, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
Ohai new engineering people!

Though, I also have the feeling you made it longer than it had to be by writing out the gradient etc. ;)

Exactly! Don't be afraid people. The equation is scary but it just says that energy (in all its possible forms) is conserved and it could be written in a more compact way. There is also one (or three, depending on how you count) for momentum and one for mass, and they are shorter.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:30:46 PM by Troposphère »
native: :france:
ok: :uk:
have learned for years but can just say hi: :germany:
just a few words: :sweden: :iceland:

Mélusine

« Reply #1963 on: February 02, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »
Don't be afraid people. The equation is scary but it just says that energy (in all its possible forms) is conserved and it could be written in a more compact way. There is also one (or three, depending on how you count) for momentum and one for mass, and they are shorter.
Engineering people clearly speak an other language ::)

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1964 on: February 02, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Engineering people clearly speak an other language ::)

Yes! The language of calculus! ;D