Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580966 times)

scheherazade

• Super-Newbie
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #1485 on: October 12, 2015, 01:44:41 AM »
cookies! & of the squirrel variety. nice!

also i recognize your icon- i might've attempted to communicate with you on tumblr eons ago when i was just getting into ssss so hello again !

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1486 on: October 12, 2015, 01:50:04 AM »
cookies! & of the squirrel variety. nice!

also i recognize your icon- i might've attempted to communicate with you on tumblr eons ago when i was just getting into ssss so hello again !

Hmmm, that's possible! I did post the drawing on there back in May...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1487 on: October 12, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »
tl;dr someone talk lalli & physics to me
Hi! Welcome! Have some cookies!
OK, Lalli and physics, here we go.
Lalli, who weighs 70 kg, falls from a 3m-high window. How much force does he exert on Mikkel when he lands?
I'm like 90% sure this has been done already, but shhhhhh
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

scheherazade

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #1488 on: October 12, 2015, 03:06:22 AM »

aaa i love this thank u for this LOL

well since weight is the force of gravity acting on an object it is already measured in newtons
but we could say lalli has a mass of 70kg & is accelerating under gravity @ -9.8m/s2
the force of an object is the product of its mass & acceleration so 70kg multiplied by -9.8m/s2 comes out to 686 kg x m/s2 or just 686 N of force
have fun mikkel

funny how this is relevant to the work i should be doing but also not someone teach me how to not be so easily distracted now

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1489 on: October 12, 2015, 04:57:04 AM »
Welcome among us, scheherazade :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Troposphère

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • because chaos.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1490 on: October 12, 2015, 06:01:11 AM »

aaa i love this thank u for this LOL

well since weight is the force of gravity acting on an object it is already measured in newtons
but we could say lalli has a mass of 70kg & is accelerating under gravity @ -9.8m/s2
the force of an object is the product of its mass & acceleration so 70kg multiplied by -9.8m/s2 comes out to 686 kg x m/s2 or just 686 N of force
have fun mikkel

funny how this is relevant to the work i should be doing but also not someone teach me how to not be so easily distracted now

686 N is Lalli's weight, but it's not the force he will exert on Mikkel since he will decelerate much faster than this. His velocity after a 3 m fall is sqrt(2*g*z0) = 7.67 m/s. Now, we don't know the deceleration, but let's assume the fall is damped by Mikkel over a distance of 0.60 m. At Lalli's speed, this is done in 0.078 s. So the acceleration is a=98.1 m/s.

Finally, the force is m*(a+g) = 7554 N. It hurts and shows that Mikkel can't actually catch Lalli but just slow down his fall.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:11:21 AM by Troposphère »
native: :france:
ok: :uk:
have learned for years but can just say hi: :germany:
just a few words: :sweden: :iceland:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #1491 on: October 12, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
Lalli, who weighs 70 kg, falls from a 3m-high window. How much force does he exert on Mikkel when he lands?

Yes we did but it was a long time ago so we can do it again :P

Ok, this is all well and good (physics, yay!) but I think 70kg is way too much for Lalli. My brother has pretty much the same body type as Lalli (and is probably around the same height too) and he weight only about 50kg. So using the same method as Troposphere did, I get the force as 5395N. It would still hurt, and Mikkel probably still wouldn't be able to catch Lalli so much as break his fall. So I guess this bit was pointless, but I wanted in on the physics :))

Also, hi scheherazade! Another squirrel cookie just for good measure :squirrelcookie: And if you like that image, we have a whole reaction image hoard that you can look through. There's an image in there for practically any situation, and more are always coming ^-^
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Mélusine

« Reply #1492 on: October 12, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
but I think 70kg is way too much for Lalli.
Same for me but I don't understand anything to your calculations so I was :-X
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1493 on: October 12, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
To put it in perspective for my fellow non-metric-system-using friends, 70 kg is about 155 lbs. 50 kg is closer to 110 lbs.
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #1494 on: October 12, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »
Welcome scheherazade!!

Lalli, who weighs 70 kg, falls from a 3m-high window. How much force does he exert on Mikkel when he lands?

Yes that was my physics home work from last year! Here is the thread. Maybe now that school is happening again it's time to resurrect it.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #1495 on: October 12, 2015, 11:45:16 AM »
heelloo ssss forum aka the thing has successfully kept me from studying for my upcoming tests by making my brain  feel all fidgety like it couldn't move on to any other task until i posted an introduction on here for some reason what is life
well w/e ima do the thing where i talk about how much i lov ssss & webcomics in general because they keep me sane while im trying to get through school but ironically also makes it super difficult to focus at times like right now!
what i (& many others!!) especially like about ssss is how it opens a door for discussing & reveling in the glorryy of language & culture by shoving a motley crew of baby war-goers out into the dead dead danger zone i love that so much. also there's lalli
a redtail's dream is equally enjoyable to me. hannu makes me cry
also much appreciation for the artistry & creativity im seeing throughout the forum that is something i do like.

that dragged on longer than i thought it would
tl;dr someone talk lalli & physics to me

wheeeeeeee

Once you are fully assimilated into the forum, school will not matter anymore. Welcome to the forum! I hope you have an awesome time going through the nigh-infinite amounts of fanfics, fanart, and stuff here and probably contribute some of your own work!  :D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #1496 on: October 12, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
Welcome scheherazade! Here's a guide to all the art threads on the forum (and if you scroll up there's a lot of useful information too!) I hope you enjoy your time here! :D
YEET

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1497 on: October 12, 2015, 06:37:46 PM »
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1498 on: October 12, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »
I am bad at estimation :P

And I'm overly nitpicky. We balance each other out :P

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

blackberryblossoms

• Tumblr
« Reply #1499 on: October 14, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Hello everyone! I am excited to be joining the fan forum at last! My name is Christina and I am from Washington state. I am a college student and a year younger than Lalli and Emil. I've been reading SSSS since the middle of August this year, but I only just recently started exploring the forum. I also finally read aRTD and it is fantastic!! Though I'm sure I probably don't need to tell you that. I like to think that I'm an artist, so sometimes I draw SSSS fanart, but I won't have too much time to do so very frequently. And finally, though I have lived my whole life in Washington, I have always dreamed of learning Swedish and traveling to Sweden, because that is where my family is from. (Part of the reason I enjoy SSSS so much is because it reminds me of my Scandinavian roots). Pleased to meet you all!!!!
:usa: native
:japan: learning
:sweden: learning
:chap9: Chapter break survivor