Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580861 times)

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #420 on: February 24, 2015, 12:40:08 AM »
So in your orbit, are you at the *closest* or *furthest* point from the sun?

I prefer to be at the Aphelion, as I live in the northern hemisphere, but unfortunately I am caught up in the perpetual motion of the planet and am pulled back to Perihelion every year. Life has a way of doing that, and the name helps me to remember that change is natural, and inevitable.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico:

mad robin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #421 on: February 24, 2015, 04:23:11 AM »
Welcome! Here are some cookies just for you! (and for Wolfie, there are lots to go around)
Eeeeeee, thank uuuu! I can't imagine better way to welcome newcomers than cookies.

Welcome, Wolfie! Welcome, Mad Robin!

Hello, mad robin!  If you're talkative and extroverted, just come sit here by me and we'll never let anyone else get a word in edgewise.   :)  (BTW, don't worry about your English -- it looks fine to me.)

If you like writing little stories or "drawing something strange and useless," you'll fit in perfectly here.  Check out the threads for fan-art, memes/edits, and the SSSS Scriptorium. 

And if you like "dancing with a bunch of people in old-fashioned clothes," tell me about it!  I belong to several historic dance clubs and am trying to teach "The Congress of Vienna" Waltz to some of our Forum-ites.

See you on the forum...

Sunflower

P.S.  Is that Moominmamma in your avatar?  I like you already!

Yay! I Wish I could hug you! (All of you  ;D) This is my usual reaction when I am happy (and maybe the answer to the question why all introverts are so afraid of me...) And now I'm really happy!

Yeah, Moomins is my big love for a long time. Actually, on the last New Year's holidays, my cousin presented me a toy-Moomintroll and advised to call it Emil. Because it will make me happy for life. It was an excellent idea, but now no one person is allowed to touch my Moomin-Emil even a finger without my written permission.

Speaking about historical dances ... To be honest, I'm pretty useless in this matter, because in our dance club we get together just to drink tea, eat cookies, laugh a lot, maaaaaybe a little dance and, in the end, make a farce instead of a normal dancing-party.

I've already looked fan-art thread - and woah! - this forum is full of geniuses! I'm not too good at drawing, but I have too much free time now. I think it will have consequences.

And it is time to me to shut up, otherwise my idle chatter will never end.

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #422 on: February 24, 2015, 07:48:56 AM »
Eeeeeee, thank uuuu! I can't imagine better way to welcome newcomers than cookies.
Yay! I Wish I could hug you! (All of you  ;D) This is my usual reaction when I am happy (and maybe the answer to the question why all introverts are so afraid of me...) And now I'm really happy!

Yeah, Moomins is my big love for a long time. Actually, on the last New Year's holidays, my cousin presented me a toy-Moomintroll and advised to call it Emil. Because it will make me happy for life. It was an excellent idea, but now no one person is allowed to touch my Moomin-Emil even a finger without my written permission.

Speaking about historical dances ... To be honest, I'm pretty useless in this matter, because in our dance club we get together just to drink tea, eat cookies, laugh a lot, maaaaaybe a little dance and, in the end, make a farce instead of a normal dancing-party.

I've already looked fan-art thread - and woah! - this forum is full of geniuses! I'm not too good at drawing, but I have too much free time now. I think it will have consequences.

And it is time to me to shut up, otherwise my idle chatter will never end.

Helloo other Newbie. :D *gives you a hug* Your enthousiasm is refreshing. Introverts (like me) don't hate you, they are maybe a little overwhelmed, like a cat that hisses when you suddenly pick it up and cuddle it. :3 As Lalli shows, if they get used to you, beautiful friendships can grow and you can do eachothers hair even.  :-* Tragic story, I became very afraid of watching the Moomins after I saw an episode in which they are lost in a forest. No clue what episode it was but it was apparently such a strong image of 'getting lost' that I thought the Moomins were scary. *cough* Not anymore ofcourse, but I never watched much of it as a result. T-T

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

mad robin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #423 on: February 24, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »
Helloo other Newbie. :D *gives you a hug* Your enthousiasm is refreshing. Introverts (like me) don't hate you, they are maybe a little overwhelmed, like a cat that hisses when you suddenly pick it up and cuddle it. :3 As Lalli shows, if they get used to you, beautiful friendships can grow and you can do eachothers hair even.  :-* Tragic story, I became very afraid of watching the Moomins after I saw an episode in which they are lost in a forest. No clue what episode it was but it was apparently such a strong image of 'getting lost' that I thought the Moomins were scary. *cough* Not anymore ofcourse, but I never watched much of it as a result. T-T
Hellooooo to you too! ;D
Well, all SSSS-readers know how important first impressions are. Better than anyone else :D For me the Moomins started with the excellent book "Comet in Moominland" and it's one of the best childhood memories.
Just realized: observation of the behavior of cats (and Lally) may be the best way to understand how not to annoy introverts.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #424 on: February 24, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »
Ah, yes, I should introduce myself. I'm from Russia, the same age as Tuuri (and the same gender). And I also have the same problem: "you're sixteen?.. or seventeen?.. twelve, maybe?" - That's what I always hear from each new friend.
I'm interested in everything except my university studies (third year student of philosophy - don't know why I got involved in this. I guess, to make sure that I'll never find a job).

A philosophy student! From Russia! It is always a joy to meet someone who speaks your language in a such international place. And the one who has spirits to study something they like rather than something more down-to-earth (so few get the job that matches their speciality anyway).
Welcome, welcome, welcome!  :D
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
A philosophy student! From Russia! It is always a joy to meet someone who speaks your language in a such international place. And the one who has spirits to study something they like rather than something more down-to-earth (so few get the job that matches their speciality anyway).
Welcome, welcome, welcome!  :D

*And,* as you may have seen on the Server Move Discussion, before too long we'll be moving the Forum to a new server host that supports Unicode including Cyrillic!  So we'll be able to start a Learning Russian thread and... oh, so much more.

Be very nice to Hushpiper -- she's the one leading the move (*and* probably paying for the future domain name).  And to Eich, as our Admin, making sure we can get all safely packed up and transferred from our current host.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:34:34 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2015, 04:14:28 PM »
*And,* as you may have seen on the new thread, before too long we'll be moving the Forum to a new server host that supports Unicode including Cyrillic!  So we'll be able to start a Learning Russian thread and... oh, so much more.
I can finally make an introduction in the language forum! *wipes single tear* Truly an amazing day
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #427 on: February 24, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »
I can finally make an introduction in the language forum! *wipes single tear* Truly an amazing day
Can't you do that with latin letters (like "privyet")?

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #428 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
Can't you do that with latin letters (like "privyet")?
Sadly, this manner cannot reflect all the sounds correctly  :( Same can be said about any other language that uses alphabet that differs from latin one.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
Well, there *are* transliteration schemes that can accuratedly reflect all the nuances of Russian orthography but:

They tend to look weird, because they use ' and " to differentiate certain symbols.
Some of them still require special symbols that won't necessarily show up on the forum.
And if you're going to the trouble to learn orthography as opposed to just pronunciation, you might as well learn the cyrillic alphabet, which is really useful and not that hard (there is very little material to read in Russian-written-in-Latin, transcription schemes exist mostly for the purpose of passports and such).

Here's an overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Russian#Transliteration_table

Myself I tend to use GOST 2002 (B), but I don't find any of these fully satisfying.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

jp otter

« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:58 PM »
Hi all! I'm Jennifer. I'm a Creative Director in San Francisco, CA.

I found out about A Redtail's dream from Indiegogo. Actually, I saw a picture of Indiegogo's offices, and they had hung a banner for A Redtail's Dream from the ceiling; the artwork caught my eye. I found it online and devoured it quickly. By then Minna had already started SSSS and was running the print campaign for it. The artwork kills me. aRTD was amazing already, but she just keeps getting better and better.

At one point I wanted to get into comics. I took sequential arts in school, and loved it. But after starting my career in graphic design, I mostly stopped drawing. But Minna has inspired me to pick it up again. I'm way rusty, but it's good to see progress.

Since discovering aRTD, I've tried to find other comics I like as much, but haven't found too many yet. I'm really picky about artwork. I'm currently following Prague Race (I have no idea what's going on but it's all gorgeously hand-pencilied), and Wilde Life (the character/life drawing is pretty great). There are a few more that are on my list to check out, but I haven't yet.

I'm typically much more of a lurker than a poster, but I've enjoyed what I've read on the SSSS comments, so I figured I'd try my hand at participating here. I've only looked at a couple of threads so far...looks like there's a lot going on!
Fluent: :usa:
Passable: :france:
Learning: :italy:
Tried to teach myself as a precocious 12 yr/old with terrible results: :russia:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #431 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »
Welcome, Jennifer!  That's an adorable icon.  If you like knitting, you might like our new Needlecraft thread.  You may already have seen our artwork and meme/edit threads.

I'm pleased to see another member in the Bay Area -- I'm on the Peninsula, myself.  Maybe someday we'll be scouting out reasonably priced hotel ballrooms around SFO for an SSSS fan meet-up!   :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:19:09 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

jp otter

« Reply #432 on: February 24, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! Yep, I've seen the artwork thread. I'm gonna post something to that in a bit. I'm not much of a knitter. I can crochet okay, but I don't do it much these days. I'll check out the thread, though!

Are there many Bay Area folks here?
Fluent: :usa:
Passable: :france:
Learning: :italy:
Tried to teach myself as a precocious 12 yr/old with terrible results: :russia:

Kata Kissa

• Tumblr
  • word to your fjord, krissy. word.
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #433 on: February 24, 2015, 10:33:43 PM »
Hallo hallo!  I'm Kata, I'm 28 years old, American, live in the St. Pete, FL area and really really bad at introductions, whoops. ^^;;

I found SSSS on a friend's recommendation last fall, and am madly in love with it.  I've read it through three times (working on a fourth) and it's just.  So fabulous.  I'm so glad Minna's able to post so regularly, it would be MURDER on my soul if this only updated once or twice a week.
Native: :usa:
Attempting to learn: :norway:
Wanting to learn: :finland:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #434 on: February 24, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »
Welcome, newcomers! Enjoy your stay! :) *throws cookies at both of you*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: