Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581155 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 18, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
*he-hem*

Hello all,

My name is Jenna
[...]
P.s. I'm a shameless Lalli fangirl, and will be until the day I die. Fanart forthcoming.

Hello! Welcome! Have some hugs and cookies! Want more? Then make fanart!  ;D
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:42 PM »
*he-hem*
Welcome, welcome, welcome!
Glad to have you aboard!
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
I have a disorder called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, MCS, which makes me have painful allergy-type reactions to most every artificial chemical I come into contact with, most notably fragrance, so I spend a lot of time in my house, alone, trying to stay away from the dangerous world.
How does this work? You can deal with the scent of a flower but not the scent of a flower concentrated into perfume? Or are we talking about fragrance in general, as in the fragrance of coffee?

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »
All mass-market perfumes these days are based on the same limited repertoire of artificial molecules, with bits added on or mixed in different proportions. Only the very most expensive perfumes use "real" ingredients! As a result, all perfumes a person can expect to come across will be artificial, and it's very easy to develop allergies to a sufficient number of the chemicals to be allergic to effectively all perfumes.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2015, 07:21:42 PM »
All mass-market perfumes these days are based on the same limited repertoire of artificial molecules, with bits added on or mixed in different proportions. Only the very most expensive perfumes use "real" ingredients! As a result, all perfumes a person can expect to come across will be artificial, and it's very easy to develop allergies to a sufficient number of the chemicals to be allergic to effectively all perfumes.
Oh? That I can understand when you put it like that, but what's so bad about the structure of artificial chemicals that they as a class of chemicals cause reactions for some people?

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
Oh? That I can understand when you put it like that, but what's so bad about the structure of artificial chemicals that they as a class of chemicals cause reactions for some people?

That I am less sure of. I suspect they may all have some similar structure that "looks" to the immune system like the same thing.

I will do research if time permits.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2015, 11:02:55 PM »
How does this work? You can deal with the scent of a flower but not the scent of a flower concentrated into perfume? Or are we talking about fragrance in general, as in the fragrance of coffee?

MCS is a pretty complicated disorder that I'm still learning about, and is only recently being recognized by the medical community as actually existing. Basically, I don't have reactions to anything actually natural, like animals, pollen, or food, etc, and can safely use essential oils. My body (immune system+ other stuff) can't handle the toxicity of artificial chemicals, so over time it has become hypersensitive to such things. If unmanaged by limiting exposures, it progresses into more severe reactions to a larger range of chemicals (gas fumes, bleach, cigarette smoke). Multiple areas of the body are affected, such as respiratory, circulatory, nervous system, and even digestion.
In a country obsessed with putting artificial fragrance into EVERYTHING on top of the large amount of chemicals already in use, this makes my life a rather delicate balance of trying to remain a functional person, while also not being bedridden and/or hospitalized by some stupid air freshener or someone's perfume.

And sorry about the "general discussion" topic in the Intro thread. I'll leave it at that and try to continue any further commenting somewhere more appropriate. ;) I'm happy to chat via PM if anyone feels so inclined.

Thanks for the warm welcome! And for all the cookies. :3 *grabs glass of milk* 
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico:

Laowai

« Reply #382 on: February 19, 2015, 01:12:02 AM »
I'm an American girl living in Zambia, going to an international school and learning Mandarin.

Whooo! Another Chinese speaker!

For those of you who feel like you're left out:

Haha Piney, you're awesome!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:01 AM »
Haha Piney, you're awesome!
I know I mean, I'm here to please! :)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2015, 04:18:43 AM »
Whooo! Another Chinese speaker!

Hellooooo! (I tried to reply in mandarin but the forum didn't let me :'( )
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Laowai

« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2015, 12:20:19 AM »
Hellooooo! (I tried to reply in mandarin but the forum didn't let me :'( )

aww! ????

Laowai

« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »
hahahaha! what?! I just typed "weishenme" in characters and it made that funny smiley face instead!

??
??
??
??
??
???
????

my preview button says thats all chinese characters above. lets see.

Laowai

« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2015, 12:26:38 AM »
welp, so much for that  :(

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2015, 07:18:44 AM »
welp, so much for that  :(
This instance of SMF hasn't been converted to UTF-8 (yet); Eich tried and ran into some sort of problems. So it's limited to some slightly extended (because Umlauts work) variant of the Latin alphabet - maybe ISO-Latin-1, I didn't check to make sure yet ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2015, 08:00:17 AM »
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man