Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580814 times)

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #4770 on: April 10, 2023, 08:52:17 PM »
Welcome, Daywalker!

If you want to talk about SSSS, you're in the right place. :) Don't be afraid to comment on old threads if you feel like it, I have seen discussions resparked that why. Or to start new threads. There are also threads for things outside of SSSS as well.

I hope to see you around!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4771 on: April 10, 2023, 11:36:41 PM »
Hello and welcome, Daywalker! Nice set of interests, promises some fascinating conversations. And yeah, feel free to discuss anything! Reptile keeper sounds interesting, I love the creatures but don’t so much keep them as attempt to maintain friendly relations with the ones in my garden and the nearby bushland (I  live in country South Australia). I share my garden with skinks, stumpies, bluetongues and the occasional snake, goanna or frilled lizard.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4772 on: April 11, 2023, 04:27:02 AM »
Daywalker, we are happy to have you back! Like NightMareMage already said, we have loads of threads and you can comment on any even if it’s been a long time since the previous post. We currently have an ongoing joint re-read and would love to hear (well, read) your thoughts on those discussions!

Based on your nickname, do your interests also include vampires? Incidentally I just came across the panel of Lalli you have as your avatar and remembered again how much I like this particular picture of him. He’s lovely, and this picture really shows it!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Bippity Boppity Boop

• Call me Boop!!
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #4773 on: April 28, 2023, 07:04:27 AM »
Hello all, SSSS was recommended to me by a friend and I subsequently read it over the course of 15 days. It's been a joy, not just because it's a good comic, but also because of the incredible comments. Once I found out you can sort by "best", my enjoyment doubled. I kept scrolling up and down between the page and the comment section to look for details I missed. The poetry and filks were often inspired and touching. The theories were fun because I could read them, then instantly find out how far off the mark they were (which was often, despite what usually felt like solid reasoning).
If I have the money for it, I might buy the physical editions one day, which would be cool, because physical books rock, but also a little sad, because they won't have the comments.
I don't think I'll be online much after this, forums aren't really my kind of thing. I just wanted to phrase my appreciation to all the people of the original commentariat. You are all amazing.
Best regards,

Boop!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 07:05:59 AM by Bippity Boppity Boop »
Call me Boop!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #4774 on: April 28, 2023, 09:35:09 AM »
Hello all, SSSS was recommended to me by a friend and I subsequently read it over the course of 15 days. It's been a joy, not just because it's a good comic, but also because of the incredible comments. Once I found out you can sort by "best", my enjoyment doubled. I kept scrolling up and down between the page and the comment section to look for details I missed. The poetry and filks were often inspired and touching. The theories were fun because I could read them, then instantly find out how far off the mark they were (which was often, despite what usually felt like solid reasoning).
If I have the money for it, I might buy the physical editions one day, which would be cool, because physical books rock, but also a little sad, because they won't have the comments.
I don't think I'll be online much after this, forums aren't really my kind of thing. I just wanted to phrase my appreciation to all the people of the original commentariat. You are all amazing.
Best regards,

Boop!
Hello, @Bippity Boppity Boop ! And welcome to the Forum! :)

Well, at least you took 15 days! You would be amazed by how many people showed up here, or in the comic comments, telling they did it in just one or two days...  O_o
(sleep? what's that?)

Of course the first thing they usually heard after being welcomed was a suggestion to read it again and take enough time to read the comments. We all learned so much from them. About the comic, the places and so much more.  ^-^

I hope you show up more around here. Take some time to read a few threads that you find interesting and soon you will see that all the spirit, humor, knowledge and fun from those comments still exists here. There's talking about SSSS and so much more. And the best part is that you can be part of it!

I'd strongly recommend the Creative Corner. You will find many amazing SSSS stories and art, and also works dealing with other fandoms and originals.
And please don't be afraid to participate on any topic you feel attracted to. We have a long tradition of being a friendly place.  ;)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4775 on: April 28, 2023, 11:36:02 AM »
Hello and welcome, Boop! What Grey said, plus reminding you that the Forum, if not the comic, is still about, and we welcome folk who just want to have a yarn and join in the fun. You will also find links to a couple of fanfic sites at the bottom of the index page. Enjoy!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dmeck7755

« Reply #4776 on: May 01, 2023, 08:46:27 AM »
Welcome Daywalker and Bippity Boppity Boop!!  It is very nice to meet you all
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #4777 on: May 01, 2023, 11:28:54 PM »
(A rather late) welcome to the forum, Boop and Daywalker! It's good to have you here
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4778 on: May 03, 2023, 04:06:41 PM »
welcome to all the people I missed. And sorry for the delay.

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #4779 on: July 10, 2023, 07:40:33 PM »
You know I should probably say something in...this thread, rather than making my whole presence on the forum processing a bunch of emotions.

Hi, I'm Glass, I'm a grumpy internet scotsman with a very delayed interest in this place and the wonderful people in it. I've had a fair few welcomes already, all pleasant, and found myself reinvigorated with an interest in the Silent World; at least from my own perspective.

I'm a huge lover of writing (horror, sci-fi, and fantasy), TTRPGs (the PFP's a character I currently play), and voraciously learning around random things that might not matter to anyone but me.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4780 on: July 11, 2023, 06:42:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum Glass

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4781 on: July 11, 2023, 07:42:02 AM »
Welcome again, Glass! Great to have another Scandinavian* (well, nearly) member :)  I think you may have received this when you signed up, but in case you didn’t here are some pointers for exploring our little village: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1297.0

Also, I didn’t yet mention that I love your profile picture! Is it your own art?

* Scotland has raised the idea that they leave the UK and become a Nordic country. You would be welcome!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4782 on: July 11, 2023, 08:05:58 AM »
Oh and @ Glass, I was responding about fanfics on the other thread but this is better.

So, horror elements of level similar to SSSS are allowed on the main forum at least as links. Anything the reader sees in the comic is ok here, and we have quite a few pieces with chilling, or in some cases, humorous body horror. Just put a content description first. If you are unsure, you can ask me or other staff to give it a look first.

On the horror side of things, mostly visual art with excessive gore have been put on the mature board, and even then there are only a few. It’s more about sexual content, partly due to fears about the site getting into trouble by introducing such content to minors. Somewhat weirdly anything sexy is apparently a lot more damaging to children and teens than violence, so… We don’t make the rules, except here within the forum :)

There is an introduction message on top of the Writing Board (and all of the creative cormer boards) describing content restrictions in more detail.

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #4783 on: July 11, 2023, 10:28:21 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Moredhel - is that a Raymond E. Feist reference for the username?

Welcome again, Glass! Great to have another Scandinavian* (well, nearly) member :)  I think you may have received this when you signed up, but in case you didn’t here are some pointers for exploring our little village: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1297.0

Also, I didn’t yet mention that I love your profile picture! Is it your own art?

* Scotland has raised the idea that they leave the UK and become a Nordic country. You would be welcome!

It's nice to see another Northern European (most of my communities are very North American or other people from Britain) - and don't worry, I'm very much of the 'lets leave the UK and go be friends with our northern buddies' mindset myself. I don't actually think I recieved anything like that link, is it a new member message or something like that? I'll definitely take a look though.

As for the art, it's a piece I commissioned of my character Matthais - the artist is @virlandil over on Twitter, excellent creator. I...only had to stalk their twitter for a few months to get a slot for it <.<

With the writing restrictions, I should be more than within them then - as you say, at least as links; matching the comic's horror level is easy enough, exceeding it would be an exercise in (boring) sadism for sadism's sake. Just need to wait for AO3 to recover from whatever DDOS they've been dealing with. The whole 'violence is worse than sex' thing is pretty frustrating to watch come up - I totally understand the caution from the staff. I've administrated a community or two and it's always been a major sticking point for me to ensure the safety of minors, and compliance with platform rules.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

dmeck7755

« Reply #4784 on: July 11, 2023, 12:02:47 PM »
Welcome Glass!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa