Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580879 times)

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #4395 on: March 23, 2021, 08:35:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum Tarnagh and mate888!
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Raaffiie

« Reply #4396 on: March 23, 2021, 09:07:19 AM »
So I already posted in the other thread, but here's my formal introduction!

I'm a 22-year old Dutch girl, and I've had an interest in Finland ever since I became a fan of Finnish metal bands in secondary school. One thing led to another and I ended up reading Year in Hereafter, a webcomic which is also Finnish and which some of you here will know. That naturally led me here. The themes of the Kalevala and general Finnish culture made me become even more fascinated with Finland, and so five years ago, I finally started learning Finnish for real. Parallel to that, as a fan of anime and Japanese games, I've also been learning Japanese. At the moment I  feel like I'm at an intermediate level for both, and I've tentatively started to pick up Spanish.

I'm not entirely comfortable with learning languages together with other people and prefer to do so by myself, which is why I've been quiet up until this point, but I've always enjoyed the atmosphere around here and I hope I will be able to talk with you some more. It's a pretty strange time to be entering this community, but it's nice to meet you all.

Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

Lallicat

• Scout
« Reply #4397 on: March 23, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
Nice to meet you Raafiie! Welcome to the forum!

Songbird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • 10g of fluff and pointy edges
« Reply #4398 on: March 23, 2021, 09:10:17 AM »
Hey, hello! I like to read and tell stories in whatever format they come.

Languages in order of proficiency: Portuguese (native), English (pretty good but can't make speaking noises for the life of me), German (learning), Swedish (learning), Japanese (mostly vocabulary), Finnish (so little can't really claim to be "learning" yet), Spanish (might be able to mash up something intelligible from Portuguese + an year of school classes eons ago).

Now let's get into the very serious real reason I came to in this thread: What's up with the cookies and dream ducks?!?!

I'm one of those people who quietly reads the comments under every page and this has been intriguing me. Where did these come from? I must know!

Lallicat

• Scout
« Reply #4399 on: March 23, 2021, 09:14:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum Songbird! I'm not quite sure where the cookies come from, but I think the dream ducks are a reference to a random duck that appeared in one comic panel when Emil and Lalli were sleeping in the trash can to hide from the giant. My memory may be faulty though, maybe some more experienced forum members can explain better than I can!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4400 on: March 23, 2021, 09:40:19 AM »
Hello all new Minnions! Something good comes from the storm, if we get new people here and participating in other discussions besides The One too.

Lallicat, that’s exactly where the Dream Duck originated. Nowadays Crumpite raises them and always has some in the hatchery :) 🦆

As for the cookies... I don’t know why they started to happen. There was some discussion about that just recently, but ai didn’t follow it up. Mirasol is the current cookie chef in chief, but there are always enough to gi around. The squirrels have a high work ethic. Or do they?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4401 on: March 23, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
Yay! Even more people! Welcome Raaffiie and Songbird! Great to meet you! Enjoy your stay! This time turned to be a trial for this community but for now I feel like we are keeping everything civil.  :sparkle: Anyways, welcome!  :sparkle:
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

TheOneThatGotAway

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #4402 on: March 23, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »
Hey hey, yes, new to this forum thanks to ... The One ;-) . Isn't it lovely to have a place to be able to discuss things like this? Especially with this whole lot of wonderful people?

About me: 30+ M from Belgium, the land of fries, waffles and chocolate. I started reading SSSS 8 months ago, binged it up till that point in about a day or three-four? I also check Gunnerkrigg Court, Penny-Arcade, Goblins, XKCD, GITP/OOTS weekly and used to be a big fan of Dr. McNinja and Erfworld (I still am a big fan of both, just sad they ended).

Besides that I speak 4 languages (Dutch, French, English, Spanish) and enjoy dancing and listening to music. If there's any questions, or I missed something crucial, shoot!

Lallicat

• Scout
« Reply #4403 on: March 23, 2021, 10:30:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum TheOneThatGotAway!

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #4404 on: March 23, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum, blabo, Tarnagh, mate888, Raaffiie, Songbird and TheOneThatGotAway! Lots of new people all of a sudden! I suppose there is an upside to the controversy after all...

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4405 on: March 23, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »
A welcome to all new Members of the forum.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4406 on: March 23, 2021, 12:56:48 PM »
Oh boy, so many new people!

Welcome back, catbirds!

Welcome blabo, Tarnagh, mate888, Raaffiie, Songbird, and TheOneThatGotAway!

*frantically hands out cookies* :squirrelcookie: I´m glad you found your way here despite... everything.

Anyways, like Jitter pointed out, we´ve had a very interesting discussion on cookies and Minnion-inside-jokes in general just recently, starting here in case you´re interested. ^-^ :squirrelcookie:
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #4407 on: March 23, 2021, 07:08:27 PM »
Well this is a nice side-effect of the excremental meteorological phenomenon going on in the Disqus comments at present - new folks over here! Welcome to you all, I'm not even going to try to list everyone, plus then I'd be ignoring the people who have been trickling in over the months who I haven't welcomed because I don't visit this thread often. It's a friendly bunch here, I hope everyone has fun, learns some cool stuff, and enjoys the great fan art.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4408 on: March 23, 2021, 10:01:18 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome!  <3

YAY! Squirrel cookies!  :squirrelcookie:  Thanks, @Mirasol!

Well this is a nice side-effect of the excremental meteorological phenomenon going on in the Disqus comments at present
Well put, @Vulpes! If things continue the way they're still going on 409, I may just pack what little I have over on Disqus and move here permanently.

Anyone got a spare couch? ;)
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

catbirds

« Reply #4409 on: March 23, 2021, 10:12:02 PM »
Well this is a nice side-effect of the excremental meteorological phenomenon going on in the Disqus comments at present - new folks over here!

Yaaay! I second this :D This forum is a pretty neat place most of the time

Maybe it's unfortunate that this was how you got introduced to the forum, but it's fortunate that you're all around now. Also, Vulpes, that particular phrasing reminded me of that volcano eruption that one person keeps linking to.