Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580870 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #3120 on: July 15, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »
Hi Jacob, and welcome. You should find lots of folk here with similar interests.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3121 on: July 15, 2017, 05:51:28 AM »
You would be correct in that guess (I was also born in october so there's that)!  And like I said, you mostly have my friend to thank, I wouldn't have clicked on it otherwise!  I'll definitely look into that story. You can also possibly expect some art from me in the future if I ever manage to draw something that doesn't totally suck.

Saving you the trouble of a scavenger hunt, here is the story I mentioned about the Last Astronauts:  http://archiveofourown.org/works/4334900
...from a post on the "Survivor Communities outside the Known World" thread:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=24.msg56870#msg56870

and here's another fan-fic I remember fondly, involving the first inter-continental plane flight in the Known World, in Y120.  http://archiveofourown.org/works/2798174/chapters/6281342

Happy reading!  And we'll hope you have happy arting!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3122 on: July 15, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »
CAMIR, whoa, for me it sounds perfect  XoX

My thesis or the whole studies? With both I totally agree.  ;D I did something else before but now I am home. I don't know where you live but maybe you can have a go at it, too?

CAMIR, its sound very interesting! I want make Scandinavian studies too, but in the context journalism. But not this year.
My recommendation: Do it! It's the best that ever happened to me. If you can combine it with something like journalism - even better.

@October Sky: Welcome from me, too on board. I hope you have a nice time.
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #3123 on: July 15, 2017, 03:51:50 PM »
My recommendation: Do it! It's the best that ever happened to me. If you can combine it with something like journalism - even better.
Thanks! But there is a problem. I have a Bachelor's degree and I really want to take a Master's course in order to continue my research (if being more precise). Yet, my country has nothing similar, but there are such courses in Sweden and other countries. Getting into Swedish university is hard but possible, I guess. So now I'm learning Swedish and English and preparing to try.
If you want, I can write to you in PM about that  :3
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #3124 on: July 15, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks! But there is a problem. I have a Bachelor's degree and I really want to take a Master's course in order to continue my research (if being more precise). Yet, my country has nothing similar, but there are such courses in Sweden and other countries. Getting into Swedish university is hard but possible, I guess. So now I'm learning Swedish and English and preparing to try.
If you want, I can write to you in PM about that  :3
I'd be interested to hear more about it by all means. In the meantime I keep my fingers crossed that there will be a space for you in Sweden.
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3125 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
heeeyyyy welcome to the forums Jacob! Fancy meeting you here.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3126 on: July 19, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
Hi and welcome, Jacob!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #3127 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
Welcome, Jacob. I'm sure you'll have fun here.
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Seriema

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3128 on: July 28, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
Hello! I'm Seriema and after seeing the ads many times on Flight Rising I finally caved in and started reading SSSS about two weeks ago. I caught up in less than 24 hours. :P

I'm a biology student and very interested in all things pertaining to it, but I've got a special fondness for zoology, paleontology, and evolution. (And birds. I love birds. Can't forget that.)

I enjoy drawing and writing, though I haven't done the latter in quite a while. I mostly come up with thirty different stories I want to write and end up forgetting about half of them because I don't actually write them.

I'm from southern Brazil and I'm relishing in the cold while it lasts. Besides Portuguese and English I know some Italian and German, though both are very rusty as I've took those classes waaay back in middle school. Italian a bit less so, as it is similar enough to Portuguese I can pick up some things naturally.

I also have no idea how to make introductions.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3129 on: July 29, 2017, 12:15:30 AM »
Hello! I'm Seriema and after seeing the ads many times on Flight Rising I finally caved in and started reading SSSS about two weeks ago. I caught up in less than 24 hours. :P

I'm a biology student and very interested in all things pertaining to it, but I've got a special fondness for zoology, paleontology, and evolution. (And birds. I love birds. Can't forget that.)

I enjoy drawing and writing, though I haven't done the latter in quite a while. I mostly come up with thirty different stories I want to write and end up forgetting about half of them because I don't actually write them.

I'm from southern Brazil and I'm relishing in the cold while it lasts. Besides Portuguese and English I know some Italian and German, though both are very rusty as I've took those classes waaay back in middle school. Italian a bit less so, as it is similar enough to Portuguese I can pick up some things naturally.

Looks like a great introduction to me, and I've seen a lot!

Welcome to the forum, Seriema!  Am I right in thinking you're named after these? 

If you're interested in biology and evolution, you may enjoy some of the speculative threads on the SSSS board within the Forum about Rash biology or how world ecosystems might be adapting in Y90 when the vast majority of mammals (except the Blessed Felines) were wiped out.  You'll also find plenty of temptations to draw and write. 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or one of the other admins.  Or just ask around -- people here are friendly!  :) 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3130 on: July 29, 2017, 01:04:03 AM »
Seriema, welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you will find lots to talk about here, and interesting company. Also seconding Sunflower's question about the birds. Those are amazing creatures, one can really see the dinosaur in them!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3131 on: July 29, 2017, 04:59:25 AM »
Hello! I'm Seriema
Welcome to the forum Seriema :D
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Seriema

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3132 on: July 29, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
Seriema, welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you will find lots to talk about here, and interesting company. Also seconding Sunflower's question about the birds. Those are amazing creatures, one can really see the dinosaur in them!
Welcome to the forum, Seriema!  Am I right in thinking you're named after these? 

Yes, that's them. If you think they look like dinosaurs like this (it's because they actually are!), just take a look at their feet:

Genuine raptor claws. They're not very well-known outside of being the "closest extant relative to the Phorusrhacids (terror birds)", though they have pretty much the same ecological niche as the much more known secretary bird.

If you're interested in biology and evolution, you may enjoy some of the speculative threads on the SSSS board within the Forum about Rash biology or how world ecosystems might be adapting in Y90 when the vast majority of mammals (except the Blessed Felines) were wiped out.  You'll also find plenty of temptations to draw and write. 

Ecological impacts of the mass extinction of most large animals seems really interesting! Thank you for the tips, I'll have to check out these threads.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3133 on: July 29, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »
GAAAHHH!  I mean, welcome! 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #3134 on: July 29, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »

Hello and Welcome! It's always nice to have more people on the forum. Biology is neat, innit? Living in Brazil must give some nice opportunities. From my understanding there are a lot of interesting species in the rainforest.
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot