Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580869 times)

yankai

• Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #3000 on: May 09, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »
Thank you all!!  ^-^
Native: :argentina:
Kind of: :uk: / :italy:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3001 on: May 12, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »
Hello everybody! I started reading the comic a few weeks ago and someone suggested I could join the fan forum, so here I am (as you can see, I'm not so good with english but hopefuly you will understand me). I like drawing a lot, so maybe I'll be posting some art (I did already :) ) but I don't have a tumblr or anything, because I'm quite shy about showing my drawings. I don't usualy join forums either, but you all seemed so lovely on the coments I just couldn't resist ;D
Well, I don't know what else to say. Have a nice nice day!

Welcome yankai!  I'm also a bit abashed to post anything up under my own name, but feel less inhibited about it using a pseudonym.  It can be quite liberating.  Since coming to SSSS I've taken up drawing again, and now writing as well. Have fun, relax, experiment if you want or just doodle for the fun of it, we're a pretty supportive bunch.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Glory

• DeviantArt
  • Learning to sketch. Slowly. Painfully.
« Reply #3002 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:14 PM »
Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. I'm a relatively new reader of SSSS, from around page 680 or so. I read the entire rest of the story one snowy afternoon in a comfortable armchair with a cat trying to rub her cheeks against my ear (cats are weird), and promptly fell in love with the plot, characters, and especially Minna's beautiful art style. Never looked back. I found out about the forum after I started reading the comments on my second time through, decided to check it out, lurked for a bit, and realized I might have some stuff to contribute. So here I am.

I'm an 18 year old American guy from Maryland whose interests include history, military history, historical arms and armor, creating historical arms and armor (mostly just mail right now, both riveted and butted, though I've just started a scale cuirass), historical martial arts (German longsword, rapier and dagger, traditional longbow), competitive epee fencing (unranked as of yet, but getting better), writing poetry (with lots and lots of very nice meter :3), reading fantasy/scifi stories (Arthur C. Clarke is a particular favorite, though I have started some stuff by David Weber and Lois McMaster Bjould and quite liked it), playing the piano (occasionally), wasting entire afternoons on TVTropes and FF.net, and generally lazing about doing nothing of practical value to anyone whatsoever.

I'm probably going to study computer science with a business management minor in college, but, as my family is quite large and roughly 1/2 engineers and 1/2 artists, I'm trying to multiclass between engineering and more artistic pursuits - with mixed, but fun, results.

Due to my general incompetence at languages, I'm only fluent in English, though I still know a (very) small amount of classical Latin from 3 years in high school. I'd love to learn Icelandic at some point, as it's similar to old Norse and I'm particularly interested in Viking Age Icelandic history (bless you Hurstwic, bless you).

Well, that's me. It's a pleasure to be here.
Survived: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3003 on: May 19, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself.
Welcome Glory :D glad to have you here
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3004 on: May 19, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »
Glory, hello and welcome. With your interests you should fit right in here, and the more poets the better! Nice taste in F/SF writers too, there are quite a few of us fen here. Do you do anything with your armour? There are folk here from the Viking Society, MMAS, SCA and NVG as well as several other groups -we even have a reenactment thread in the forum. Have fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Glory

• DeviantArt
  • Learning to sketch. Slowly. Painfully.
« Reply #3005 on: May 19, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »
I was a member of the SCA for a year or so (that's where I picked up the Rapier and Dagger training), but the group I was in was mostly middle aged ex-military and police types, so it wasn't really my crowd. I'm planning to get back into it in college, though, perhaps as a combat archer in the heavy armor fighting groups. If I get the riveted mail shirt I'm making done by then, I'll definitely wear that, though I'm not sure if the scale armor will pass safety inspections due to the thin sheet steel I'm making it out of. I also have a half-completed viking age 28 inch diameter round shield floating around my basement (I'm thinking of painting the SSSS logo on the front when I'm finished :3) and that (with proper backing and reinforcement) should definitely be tough enough for martial arts.
Survived: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3006 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »
Hæ and welcome to the forum, Glory! Your interests sound amazing! Damn, sound so cool that I feel myself unproductive in my 20 years. :'D
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Quirkwood

• Preferred pronouns: they/them is good
« Reply #3007 on: May 20, 2017, 05:24:58 AM »
Nice to meet you, everyone (:

So, I finally joined a forum for the first time in my life, because apparently my SSSS addiction is taking control of my brain. I've discovered the comic a few days ago, decided to read it slowly, failed miserably and caught up with it much faster than I'd have liked. And now whenever I open my mouth it's about SSSS and neither my best friend nor my life-mate (aka the only two people I speak with) have read it, nor they plan to. So, you see, this beautiful forum is the only thing that could stop me (or them) from going insane :D

Right. A short introduction is maybe in order? I speak English, Italian and German fluently, I can read Danish (unlike Emil, HA HA). I love drawing and writing, Germanic languages, reading, walking alone and playing videogames. Leaving the house is BAD, still I'm doing a Master in Medieval Studies and have to do it every day.
Relevant to SSSS: post-apocalyptic worlds are fascinating, Scandinavian history is fascinating, magic is fascinating! I wrote my Bachelor thesis about, well, witchcraft in Viking Age Scandinavia. So you can imagine my joy when I found out about SSSS *__*

Lastly, I positively LOVE your art thread here, so many talented artists! If I can manage to stop judging my drawings so harshly I'd like to post something too, sometime.

And that was it, for now. Hello again!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:37:27 AM by Quirkwood »

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #3008 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:17 AM »
Hi Glory and Quirkwood!
Wow you've both done such amazing things! I wish I was that productive with my life :V
Quirkwood, you must share your work! <3 I'd love to see it!

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3009 on: May 20, 2017, 08:05:36 AM »
Nice to meet you, everyone (:
Welcome Quirkwood :D nice to meet you too
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #3010 on: May 20, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
Quirkwood, hello and welcome! Your thesis sounds fascinating, I think a number of us here would love to read it. Never worry about putting your drawings up here. Some of us, myself included, can't draw at all and are amazed by anyone who can.

Quirkwood

« Reply #3011 on: May 20, 2017, 11:04:33 AM »
Hi Abprallen, JacobThomsen and Róisín!

I'll gladly share some silly drawings. Róisín, I'd share my thesis as well but it's in Italian, since I wrote it in Italy. Still, I'd be happy to talk about the history of witchcraft with anyone who shares the interest, learn something new from you guys and give/receive book recommendations ;)

Róisín

« Reply #3012 on: May 20, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
Thanks Quirkwood. If you are interested in putting up book recommendations on the subject of the Craft and related topics, the 'Supernatural' forum thread might be a place to start, there are a number of book recs there already, and much discussion. My own Italian is rusty and laboured, but I believe there are more fluent Italian speakers here.

Also, anent your friend and partner, don't despair! It took about two years for my husband to develop an interest in SSSS!

Quirkwood

« Reply #3013 on: May 20, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
That must be nice, Róisín... sometimes enthusiasm about something IS contagious. Congratulations on the hard and patient work ^^

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3014 on: May 21, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »
Hæ and welcome to our mad forum, Quirkwood !
Your avatar is so beautiful ** Is that Kieren from "In the flesh"?
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3