Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581213 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #2880 on: January 09, 2017, 11:45:56 PM »
Hi, Dave! We deal with rage with cookies and hugs, so we hope you're kinda ok with that haha ^^!

You can find the break survivor badges here, I think: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=410.0 ... I can't remember where the flags are.... but you can try putting your country between ":", I think? like :(for example:brazil): > :brazil:

If you click the "Help" button just under the site logo, there's lots of information there on how to insert flags and other things!

Welcome,  MR.RAGE and everybody else new here lately! And welcome back curry! ;D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Harper

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2881 on: January 09, 2017, 11:56:23 PM »
Good evening (or appropriate time) all!

I'm Harper, a 26 year old PhD student from the USA. (I am a biologist, and I work on the neurobiology and behavior of insects and their response to environmental contaminants.) My distinct features, according to other people: I am great at finding animals (dead or alive) that others overlook, I have good balance, I am a deep but slow thinker, I am gullible, I am a bad liar, I either look as though I am frighted or as though I am frightening, I am curious about almost anything, I am physically strong, I might be a cat, I make excellent yeast bread, and I adore invertebrates.

I am currently embarking on my second read through SSSS. I seriously adore monsters, art, and friendship, so this is the webcomic for me. After I started to dream about this comic, and after I saw how friendly and creative the fandom was, I felt that I needed to intrude upon you all! So, uh, hi! You all seem so great!

All the best!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2882 on: January 10, 2017, 12:11:49 AM »
Welcome, Harper! And I look forward to conversations, being rather fond of invertebrates myself. I have a large garden full of interesting creatures, a nearby forest ditto, and I help to run the local community garden, where one of the highlights of the year for the local children is the emergence of the dragonflies from the ponds where we grow our aquatic plants.

I agree with you about the comic. Minna draws nature so well! See you around, I hope!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2883 on: January 10, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum Harper and MR. RAGE  :D
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

MR. RAGE

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #2884 on: January 10, 2017, 12:42:20 AM »
MR. RAGE: Hello and welcome! Hope you don't find us too enraging!

I doubt I'll have any problems with anyone here. I like to joke that my default emotional state is constant, restrained anger, but in actuality I like to consider myself fairly even-tempered. It takes a lot to get under my skin!

Hi, Dave! We deal with rage with cookies and hugs, so we hope you're kinda ok with that haha ^^!

You can find the break survivor badges here, I think: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=410.0 ... I can't remember where the flags are.... but you can try putting your country between ":", I think? like :(for example:brazil): > :brazil:

I'm sorry, did you say cookies and hugs? I take that back, I am continuously-enraged, and I dare you to try and make me not with your cookies and hugs!

Also, thank you!

If you click the "Help" button just under the site logo, there's lots of information there on how to insert flags and other things!

Welcome,  MR.RAGE and everybody else new here lately! And welcome back curry! ;D

I somehow completely missed the help button! I feel a mite foolish now, but I guess it's a good thing I got that out of the way!

Welcome to the forum Harper and MR. RAGE  :D

Thanks Jacob! And thanks to you all for the warm welcome. Looking forward to seeing you guys more!
Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap14:

--Languages--
Native: :usa:
Relearning: :germany:
Wishlist: :finland::france::poland::russia::southafrica:
Chance I'm Going to Actually Do It: I Can Dream, Can't I?

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2885 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »
It's been far too long since I looked into this thread, so I'll just welcome ALL the new people to the Forum!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2886 on: January 11, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »
Hæ and welcome for all new people whose appearance at the forum I missed! Hæ and welcome again! So nice to see so many newcomers! Wow!
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Harper

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2887 on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:09 AM »
Thank you for the welcome Róisín, JacobThomsen, urbicande, and heiteru!

Welcome, Harper! And I look forward to conversations, being rather fond of invertebrates myself. I have a large garden full of interesting creatures, a nearby forest ditto, and I help to run the local community garden, where one of the highlights of the year for the local children is the emergence of the dragonflies from the ponds where we grow our aquatic plants.

I agree with you about the comic. Minna draws nature so well! See you around, I hope!

Oh the dragonfly emergence sounds fantastic! (And now I'm curious about what the aquatic plants are for.) Kids really seem to love the creepy crawlies don't they? I really love odonates in general- they're such amazing predators, their visual and motor systems are really cool, and they feature in a lot of folklore and art. I had a pond in my backyard growing up, and we would use the pond skimmer to pull out all sorts of organisms, including the big predatory dragonfly larvae!

Again, thanks for the welcome all!

Róisín

« Reply #2888 on: January 12, 2017, 03:51:02 AM »
We grow water plants as part of the effort to educate the local kids about growing food plants in difficult situations and small spaces, for environmental education, for beauty and habitat, and for fun. The dragonfly nymphs seem to enjoy hanging around the water chestnut and reedmace plants, which fortunately we don't need to harvest until long after the dragonflies are moulted and gone. The water plants are pretties, edibles, rare native plants which we then put back as part of regenerating damaged sites such as riverbanks, and we sell the surplus to raise funds to keep the community garden going, because it is a community garden in the broadest sense, a sharing garden rather than, say the English allotment system. Anybody can wander in and pick a meal.

If you're curious look up Mount Pleasant Community Garden, South Australia. Specify SA because every state in Australia has at least one Mount Pleasant except for the Northern Territory, and the name is also common in America and Canada.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2889 on: January 15, 2017, 12:05:50 AM »
So many new faces...!

Welcome welcome, ÞórirPP, TheDreadPirateHolmes, yung_chrysanthemum, Lili, Curry, MR. RAGE/Dave, and Harper!

And also yes, I can attest to the fact that there are many Mount Pleasants, and other related names. XD
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #2890 on: January 18, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
So many new faces...!

Welcome welcome, ÞórirPP, TheDreadPirateHolmes, yung_chrysanthemum, Lili, Curry, MR. RAGE/Dave, and Harper!

And also yes, I can attest to the fact that there are many Mount Pleasants, and other related names. XD

It's been a while since I last was even on the forums at all.  So happy to see it's so active and our community continues to grow, and welcome, everyone!  Willkommen!  Velkommen!
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

Tiny Blood Friend

« Reply #2891 on: January 20, 2017, 02:04:58 AM »
Yo. I'm Tiny Blood Friend, you might have seen me INTENSELY SOBBING in the comments on the site.

I'm bad with words (y'all are so eloquent, I'm jealous) and have poor grammar and sentence structure, so don't be surprised if what I say is illegible, despite English being my native language. You can call me Ace if you'd like.

My interests are dying and being dead, and I'll mostly lurk around whilst I sob and wish I had the lovely sense of humor everyone else in this fandom has.

Excuse the run-on sentences and poorly gathered thoughts.

Little edit! After posting this, I've just noticed there's a member named Ace. But Blood is quite the unfitting name. Pick what you want, I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:34:21 AM by Tiny Blood Friend »

Róisín

« Reply #2892 on: January 20, 2017, 03:09:39 AM »
Tiny Blood Friend, welcome! We're not really that scary, you should be fine.

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2893 on: January 20, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Welcome Tiny Blood Friend :D And dont worry about your (potential) poor grammar, many of us here aren't native english speakers so we probably won't notice anyway
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #2894 on: January 20, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
Yo. I'm Tiny Blood Friend, you might have seen me INTENSELY SOBBING in the comments on the site.

I'm bad with words (y'all are so eloquent, I'm jealous) and have poor grammar and sentence structure, so don't be surprised if what I say is illegible, despite English being my native language. You can call me Ace if you'd like.

My interests are dying and being dead, and I'll mostly lurk around whilst I sob and wish I had the lovely sense of humor everyone else in this fandom has.

Excuse the run-on sentences and poorly gathered thoughts.

Little edit! After posting this, I've just noticed there's a member named Ace. But Blood is quite the unfitting name. Pick what you want, I suppose.

Run-on sentences and missing words/poorly-gathered thoughts will work just fine here (unless they're extremely disjointed sentences), but because so many here are not native English speakers, using local expressions and colloquialisms might result in confusion (I mean, local sayings rarely translate well as it is). That's my main finding, mostly via Disqus comment threads on the comic itself.
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4: