Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580858 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #2760 on: November 15, 2016, 07:48:49 AM »
Welcome all newcomers! Chris P. Bacon, Redheaded Beijinger, Adam, Doldrum, Coffee and MR_PLINKETT!

I'm not sure if I've been away from this thread for too long, or if we've just had a sudden surge in membership :)

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

finndutchican

• En garde! (She/her pronouns)
« Reply #2761 on: November 16, 2016, 08:54:49 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a soon-to-be 21-year-old American college student studying astronomy and history.  I use she/her pronouns.  My parents are both immigrants, my father from Finland and my mother from the Netherlands, so all my family is in Europe and I've visited both countries many times.  Unfortunately, I don't really speak either Dutch or Finnish, but I can understand conversational Dutch and I'm trying to learn some more on Duolingo.  Finnish, on the other hand, is an enigma.  I can count to five and say "Good night" and "Thanks", but that's about it.

Anyway, a friend of mine recommended SSSS to me at dinner a week or two ago, and I am now caught up!  It's astounding, easily the best webcomic I've ever read...I can't get over how incredible the art is!  I'm a self-taught artist myself, but I'm kind of at that level where I'm better at drawing than your average person but have just enough awareness about art to know that I'm not good.  Minna's backgrounds make me want to cry! 

I'm super excited to have found this Nordic webcomic community that I didn't know existed.  Looking forward to being in the fandom with you guys!
Fluent: :usa:
Okay:  :spain:
Learning:  :netherlands:
Want to learn:   :finland:

"Finndutchican":  Noun.  A half-Finnish, half-Dutch American.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2762 on: November 16, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »
Finndutchican, hello and welcome to our complex and interesting community. Art and languages - I think you'll like it here! Did you notice that we have a Languages thread in the Forum, as well as the usual threads for art, fanfic and endless speculation? Have fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2763 on: November 16, 2016, 11:41:49 PM »
I love your "absolutely barbaric" profile pics. Maybe papa Rome can bring come CIVILIZATION to the plebeians in the north. :^)

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2764 on: November 17, 2016, 12:56:16 AM »
Welcome finndutchican  :D
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2765 on: November 17, 2016, 04:50:41 AM »
Studying History is so interesting ! Welcome, finndutchican :) A cookie ? :squirrelcookie:
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2766 on: November 17, 2016, 05:36:15 AM »
finndutchican, your story is so cute!  :))
Hæ and welcome!
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2767 on: November 17, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
Welcome finndutchian! I have a feeling you will fit right in here. Your art looks awesome btw :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2768 on: November 17, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »
Welcome, finndutchican!

(I asked my seal to play something suitably Roman to honour your avatar, but all it could manage was "toot toot". Stupid seal.)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2769 on: November 17, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »
Hei finndutchican! Tervetuloa!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2770 on: November 18, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
Welcome welcome, finndutchican! Eee, I love astronomy! I also know next to nothing about it XD Hope to see you around on here! :))
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2771 on: November 20, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
Maybe papa Rome can bring come CIVILIZATION to the plebeians in the north. :^)
To quote Caligula Minus: "Qu'ils essayent! Qu'ils essayent!" [potion powered shadow boxing]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

finndutchican

• En garde! (She/her pronouns)
« Reply #2772 on: November 20, 2016, 12:38:07 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes and the cookies, everyone!

Welcome welcome, finndutchican! Eee, I love astronomy! I also know next to nothing about it XD Hope to see you around on here! :))

I got into astronomy when I watched Star Trek as a kid, and here I am xD  You should find out if there are any planetariums or observatories near you that have open telescope nights!  The one at my school does, and I often help out, and watching people see Saturn through a telescope for the first time is a magical and humbling experience.

I love your "absolutely barbaric" profile pics. Maybe papa Rome can bring come CIVILIZATION to the plebeians in the north. :^)

It's funny, every time I look at my profile pic I hear the words in a British accent...makes you realize how often Brits play Romans in movies (often due to parallels between the two empires)
Fluent: :usa:
Okay:  :spain:
Learning:  :netherlands:
Want to learn:   :finland:

"Finndutchican":  Noun.  A half-Finnish, half-Dutch American.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2773 on: November 20, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »
I got into astronomy when I watched Star Trek as a kid, and here I am xD  You should find out if there are any planetariums or observatories near you that have open telescope nights!  The one at my school does, and I often help out, and watching people see Saturn through a telescope for the first time is a magical and humbling experience.
I am so jealous that you have an observatory at your school? O_O
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

reefhunter

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #2774 on: November 21, 2016, 01:12:52 AM »
Heyyy, so I just realized this thread was a thing. Took me a few days...
Anyway. You can call me Kip or Asa or just my username I guess.
Just a German-born German/Polynesian here. Spent most of my life living in the ol US of A (unfortunately). California and most recently now, North Dakota.

Kinda directionless college dropout. Came upon this comic on a whim when looking for something to binge on and I was a little entranced by it (offensive hiccup aside?). I find it kinda inspiring. As an artist it sort of makes me want to try to work on comics again if I can ever find the time...

Oh! I love languages too. Can't really speak anything but English, but I'm really stoked to try to learn/relearn some languages now that I have more free time and idle hands. I'm under the impression this is a community that fosters that?