Author Topic: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'  (Read 108068 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« Reply #600 on: April 24, 2021, 11:41:39 PM »
Here in the United Snakes, the far-right is rather fond of waving large amerikan flags.  It seems to be a preemptive challenge: "My views are right because of Flag!" So now I can't look at an amerikan flag larger than one in a school classroom without thinking of a racist, imperialist, aristocratic, parasitic empire.

Way back in the 1970's, I bought a small American flag to carry at protest marches. It's my flag and my country too; they are Not Allowed to claim it for a specific political position (especially not for positions I disagree with!)

I wore the poor thing out, between fall 2016 and the beginning of the covid shutdown. I'm gonna have to get another one.

As someone who still has great potential to be the person scratching their head, let me tell you this. Some people may not get it immediately, but will keep it in a corner of their heads. And after a few extra weeks, months or even years spent simply continuing to live their with what you told them in a coner of their head, they will finally understand what you meant. What you told them may serve as a base to build on or add to an already exisintg base, and while it's entirely your choice to share or not, whether you share or not may make a difference on the information they have on the subject. My current understanding of the situation of minorities I'm not part of is not built entirely off what I got from a single source or person. It's made out of like five to ten sources at least, and having only the information from any single one of them would have left me scratching my head.

To add on Cat’s commentary, in internet discussions there is always the collateral readership. So evwn if your explanation doesn’t make any difference to the person you are talking to, someone else just reading and not commenting may get something important out of it.

Both of the above.

Online, there are always more people reading/watching. And people do change their minds -- but very rarely all at once, and very rarely in public in the middle of a thread or in the middle of a conversation; even a private conversation. It's very often an accumulation of things over time that does it -- the back of the head is thinking things over while the front is still arguing its old position; then at some point, maybe in the middle of the night while the person's asleep, opinions shift.

This whole event just affected me very deeply and I feel self-conscious about that, like it shouldn’t affect me but it does.

Of course we're affected by stories. Telling stories is the thing that humans do. We create the world, in large part, out of the stories we tell each other (occasionally of course a cliff comes crashing down on people, no matter if their stories all said that cliffs don't do that. But the survivors will make a story out of that too --)

There is nothing that matters more to humans than the stories that we tell.

In case anyone’s interested, there’s another comment from Jojusu, who has identified himself as Minna’s father, in the Disqus comments under page 417.

That's an odd post. It seems to ignore entirely the fact that many of Minna's readers felt attacked by the comic and/or the author's text, and not to be addressing any point of the outrage and injury at all. And yes, PyroDesu's right -- it isn't the readers who are missing any perspective about the non-Christian characters; it's that Minna didn't put any of that in there.

And this snip, which I'm spoiling just because Windfighter did, is also very to the point:

Spoiler: enjoy • show
Here's the thing tho: If Minna wanted to make a point about the Uighurs, she could have made the story actually about muslims instead of erasing them from the narrative and ending it with a note that says everyone should convert to christianity which would also erase muslims.

-- saying everybody must become Christian seems to me, also, a really, really odd way of defending Uighurs.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #601 on: April 25, 2021, 12:52:04 AM »
Windy especially, but all of you make very good points. Yeah, I still think that the dishonesty is what most rankles with me. I was sad about the poor art and characterisation, which is not usual for Minna, but as I replied to Jouni, I believe that an honest presentation of her theme without the vicious and alienating afterword might have got much more of the result Minna wanted rather than alienating and disgusting so many of her readers.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #602 on: April 25, 2021, 12:56:03 AM »
Also the part where one of the bunnies rants on the internet about her followers struck me as a bit too personal, it suggests that she really has not gotten over the whole "Emil" incident and at that point I just lol'd, she might be less nice than I thought she was.
I've been away for about a week so I'm still catching up on my reading but I really wanted to comment on this before I go to bed.

I think that's perceptively spot-on. I also lol'd upon reading your comment, because this didn't occur to me at the time I read LP. But you're right. In hindsight, I can see that being a direct "FU" to her past (and future, at the time) critics.
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
« Reply #603 on: April 25, 2021, 01:31:46 AM »
Hi, all.

Haven't been active on this forum in ages, but I wanted to log in and state how valuable I found this thread to be. I drifted away from Stand Still when the pandemic began to really sink in, both because the plague premise was not escapism anymore and because of the nebulous weird vibes mentioned earlier. I haven't contributed much to the fan community, only a handful of old fanarts, but this just feels so... personal. I don't mind my old works being on here, but it just feels very wrong to me that someone out there roaming the internet might see my drawing of Sigrun and get sucked down this increasingly bitter rabbit hole*

*ouch, pun

I will concur with some of the earlier posts that I was willing to gloss over some of Minna's dicier past comments with the old "oh, she doesn't know any better, she's European" argument, in years past. That was wrong. Reclusive or not, the internet makes research easy and refusing to learn from mistakes is not a good look. Thank you to superdark for posting the stream transcript, I had heard a vague allusion to "BLM comments", but the context was valuable, if disappointing.

The confrontational nature of this comic does feel extremely bait-y. I think earlier commenters hit the nail on the head, that no matter how people react to this, it fulfils a confirmation bias loop. If they love the Christian messaging, they're lovely people. If they're confused or upset, not to worry, they're just helpless sinners.

These past few months have raised up a lot of weird religious grief in me. The church I grew up in is dissolving, and my parent informed me that their sister organization has far less charitable views as regards queer folks (speaking of revelations that darken years of memories!) I lost a childhood friend to a very culty Christian group, a wound that was recently reopened by one of my remaining friends confessing how she was aggressively courted by the same group. I hope that whatever people Minna might fall in with, that they might act as a moderating influence, rather than a further radicalising one. I wouldn't blame her for snapping under the strain of the last year. But the utter confrontational nature of this has been very... unhappy-feeling, to me.

I apologize if I am centering my own emotions too much in this post. I feel like I have had a cold weight in my chest, these past few weeks, and to see so many of the old familiar faces and insightful newcomers talking through their same discomforts... It's like having a hand to hold, through all of the feelings. Thank you all, so much.

PS, if it is not too far off topic, I would like to mention another story a 'bit' like LP (or at least, what I think LP was...trying for?) That story is 'The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas', by Ursula K Le Guin. While it doesn't discuss technology, I think the questions it raises come across with infinitely more punch. And it's only 4 pages, to boot.

I'll link it, if the mods are all right with that?
Hard Content Warning Below-
Spoiler: show
graphically described child abuse, (the crux of the story) as well as some brief abstract discussion of sex and drugs (both in a non-abusive context)

https://learning.hccs.edu/faculty/emily.klotz/engl1302-6/readings/the-ones-who-walk-away-from-omelas-ursula-le-guin/view

(Link from Houston Community College)

catbirds

« Reply #604 on: April 25, 2021, 01:39:21 AM »
I treasure a memory of explaining herd immunity to an anti-vaxxer (this was long before the current pandemic) who was making some outrageous claims and getting thanked by a by-reader who said they had finally understood and see now why vaccines are important. Usually you don’t get the feedback, but in al, things (public) internet there are more readers than actively engage.

This is somewhat encouraging to hear, especially in this late phase of the pandemic. A lot of videos out there explain the concept really well, but it is very unlikely that an anti-vaxxer will go out of their way to click on a video titled "HERD IMMUNITY AND VACCINES" or some such.

And on that same topic, perhaps there's a much larger portion of people who simply decided to put down their tablets/turn off their computers after they read the bunny comic because it took a LOT of energy for me to unpack all this when I first read it. At least, I saw firsthand what went down in the instagram comment section when it was first released and most of it was praise. And even I had to sit down and think about it for six hours before I could make like three incoherent tweets about it. It's weird thinking how far we've gotten in this discussion since then.

I think that reaction you mention derives from the fact that you –sadly– live what they are criticising. I've found myself reacting the same way when somebody wanted to explain to me why 'I don't care that you love another man as long as whatever you do you do it in private' is homophobic to the core. But, in order for them to win other people over, people that are oblivious, they have to start at the basics. The most basic of basics. They have to educate people, so they cannot asume for their audience to have any literacy in the matters they talk about.

Yeah, you got it down pretty much. Sometimes, like now, people who watch those videos end up with pretty meaningful understandings of the topics, too! Not flawless, perhaps, but a more sympathetic one coming from a video that was very well researched. I believe they even cite their sources for further reading, so while it shouldn't be your only source on these issues, it's a good place to start?

And I do think heteronormativity/outright homophobia is a half-decent analogue in discussions in internet communities where gender/sexuality is frequently discussed. It's still not perfect, but at least you've gotten somewhere from there.

Re: your small gush over SU, I'm very happy for the way they're portrayed in the cartoon. Far too many shows do the exact thing you've talked about, made out LGBTQ+ people to be the "weird" ones. Even ones for kids. I don't think I have a way to watch it at the moment, but I'll try to find one!

I don't have many things to add to this today, though! Words have flown from my brain, but thank you for understanding.

yes, Klaus is one of the very few medias outside of scandinavia that depicts saami people!! they got a young saami girl from tromsø who does not at all speak english to play márgu, which is honestly adorable and fantastic.
and yep, hannu does indeed say the R-slur. i reread the comic sometime last year, partially through the physical copy and partially through the online version, as was honestly shocked to not only see it on print, but that nobody had pointed it out in the comment section. WELP!

Yes!! I loved Márgu in the movie and the way they included the language barrier was great in my opinion. The fact that they had a saami person voice it is also very good, since animated films as a medium don't even require it.

As for the R slur business, and all the other potentially offensive jokes in aRTD, I don't think we have any ability to go back and change it now (and Minna isn't quite in the business of doing that kind of thing on her own, as we know), but it's good to go back and be able to see that it's not helpful to make such jokes. I read through the first few pages just now, and a fat joke is literally just there Immediately :(

i really relate to having a difficult relationship with SSSS - it feels like for years, my relationship with it has been facebook status 'it's complicated' as i've tried to reconnect to it, find the parts within it that were and still are important to me, parts that have brought me joy, only to get dissappointed by something in it or its creator afterwards. i think the thing that made it most difficult to enjoy SSSS fully, however, was how HARD it was to bring up these topics before.

Absolutely, I think most SSSS fans who've had conflicting or downright negative feelings about the bunny comic have gotten on board with this feeling now, even if they were pretty alright with SSSS prior to it. And missed the offensive things Minna has said. I wasn't there for incidents you mentioned (which is probably why I'm able to be here without much discomfort today), but this place feels like it's gotten significantly better. No, the comic itself is not going to suddenly become Diverse and Inclusive. In fact, we know now that it's about to reach its end because the creator has taken a sharp turn in the opposite direction. And yes, talking about this kind of thing is incredibly exhausting and it's unfortunate that a lot of people like you have become distant from the fandom because of how hard it is to bring up. A lot of people right now might also be feeling a similar kind of guilt, too. But like the example that Jitter brought up, these conversations might have a greater impact than you can see!

Urgh, I really don't have much to add, I just think it's good that there are people like you who've made active efforts to be empathetic, and if what drives others to do that is guilt for their past actions, then so be it. And I hope people like you do stay, somewhat, even if it is just for discussions about Hard Topics.

[REDACTED for privacy]

In response to the comment by the father of Minna:

1. Yes, Windy and Pyro are right, it misses the point.

2. The proof for this is that Minna's author's notes basically explained her entire reason/motive/reasoning behind the comic, and none of it mentions Uyghurs. The alternative explanation to this is that Minna is simply a bad writer who does not know how to write about social issues and, uh, human rights violations, but requiring Translators' Notes from her own father is another level of egregious.

3. Some Christians changing the bible to be slightly more inclusive is absolutely NOT acceptable as an analogy to this.

[REDACTED for privacy]

There are various ways to discuss whether the author's intent should be taken into account when analyzing a story, but in this case we got an entire essay discussing the author's intent, and it was Not to help the Uyghurs. To me, it would make more sense if an author, especially a white author in one of the places with the highest standard of living, who cared about this issue used their platform to fundraise or spread information about it. Think about how many people would have become aware of it if Minna's thousands of twitter followers were linked to an article about it! Also, she has a gigantic Instagram following that could learn a lot, too! But if the bunny comic were actually about the Uyghurs, then I think my glasses prescription must be pretty severely out of date.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 10:34:02 PM by catbirds »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #605 on: April 25, 2021, 03:34:39 AM »
Yes. The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas. Says it all really.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #606 on: April 25, 2021, 03:40:51 AM »
MAN that comment by Minna's Father (mumbles "if that's even your real name" under my breath as if i'm in a cartoon) feels so deeply disingenuous. i mean, i'm gonna be fair, a rather unpleasant amount of the disqus comments about LP have felt deeply disingenuous to me, and i've only Skimmed them. lots of putting words in people's mouths and strawmanning. lots of replying to "i'm happy that you've found a faith but some of the things you bring up and the way you depict them are deeply concerning" with "WOW i can't believe you HATE MINNA FOR FINDING A FAITH!!!!! don't worry minna, WE love and accept you, not like THOSE sensitive babies who cannot accept the TRUTH!!! anyway here is a deep quote about how important it is to Accept and Tolerate everyone including people with different opinions than you and i am one of those people who is So Very Tolerant of other opinions, i love you above commenter even if you are a hateful spiteful being who cannot empathize with me like i empathize with you. we are all one race... the human race"

... okay maybe *i'm* the one exaggerating comments now. i'll freely admit it, i'm just chasing that catharsis right now. i just wanted to talk about how bringing up "actually minna cares about the muslims that are being oppressed for their faith!" as some sort of gotcha isn't... very reassuring? if she is such a champion for freedom of faith and speech she can say so herself, or better yet, show so herself. 'cause as many have pointed out, LP really Does Not give that impression, nor has its creator said or done anything to give any other impression.

in danger of Engaging with a Disingenuous Comment: i read the comic, what, three times? (something something watching trainwrecks) and homemaker bunny is FINE. nobody has a problem with homemaker bunny. i have not seen anyone express their distaste for homemaker bunny. nobody is trying to erase homemaker bunny's christian narrative. nobody is citing homemaker bunny as the actual proselytizing element of the comic and You Know That. i WOULD discuss how teacher bunny is one of the most upsetting characters since she literally uncritically teaches kids propaganda about 'trash people' and how they deserve to be shunned, and there is no reflection on her part over how she has directly contributed to innocent bunnies getting punished by the evil government secret police - and hey, maybe we ARE supposed to read between the lines when she realizes "oh heck they labeled my daughter a trash person and i KNOW she is not a trash person!", but it also feels like that requires more intentional reading comprehension than... almost everything else in the comic (the alexa lookalike LITERALLY says 'i spy'. truly a masterstroke of subtle storytelling).  i think this thread has discussed how the story as it is is not doing a good job of serving its own narrative multiple times - the story WOULD, in theory, benefit from another 70 pages where they can actually delve into a more nuanced and complex exploration of the Themes and Topics, but that is assuming LP wasn't hastily thrown together to slide a very specific agenda of remember to repent and convert xoxo under the door with the guise of ACTUALLY warning us about the dangers of totalitarian regimes and corporations controlling social media. there is no thematical cohesion between the story and that agenda. it's like putting a dagger inside a pillow and trying to convince everyone the pillow is 100% soft you guys. why are you upset about the soft pillow. would it be better if the pillow was BIGGER?? why aren't we discussing what REALLY matters here: pillow covers. everyone is making such a big stink about the dagger!! as if none of you have ever used knives!! the HIPOcRISY

yes i had about 4 hours of sleep tonight i hope i shan't regret any similes and exaggerations later

As for the R slur business, and all the other potentially offensive jokes in aRTD, I don't think we have any ability to go back and change it now (and Minna isn't quite in the business of doing that kind of thing on her own, as we know), but it's good to go back and be able to see that it's not helpful to make such jokes. I read through the first few pages just now, and a fat joke is literally just there Immediately :(
sighs. yeah. it's dissappointing. i know commenting on it wouldn't have helped, probably not then and definitely not now - it's more just... looking around and trying to see if ANYONE is going to push back on it, and feeling a little dejected when people are just letting it slide, maybe even completely unnoticed. that's what's important to me about the discussions too - finding that you're not alone in feeling hurt or dissappointed by something, and the validation that not everything should be readily accepted.
... for all we know, maybe someone did comment and it got deleted. but considering this must've been several years ago, when saying the r slur was more "accepted", i think it's more likely nobody really cared.

PS, if it is not too far off topic, I would like to mention another story a 'bit' like LP (or at least, what I think LP was...trying for?) That story is 'The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas', by Ursula K Le Guin. While it doesn't discuss technology, I think the questions it raises come across with infinitely more punch. And it's only 4 pages, to boot.

I'll link it, if the mods are all right with that?
Hard Content Warning Below-
Spoiler: show
graphically described child abuse, (the crux of the story) as well as some brief abstract discussion of sex and drugs (both in a non-abusive context)

https://learning.hccs.edu/faculty/emily.klotz/engl1302-6/readings/the-ones-who-walk-away-from-omelas-ursula-le-guin/view

(Link from Houston Community College)

i had, by chance, read this story a couple weeks prior to all this and this story is SO GOOD. genuinely thought-provoking piece that doesn't talk down to its audience. thank u ursula k le guin for having been such a remarkable and thoughtful writer & person delving beyond the surface level of how the world spins and leaving us this legacy

you'll know where to find me.

PyroDesu

• Laudato si ad astra
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #607 on: April 25, 2021, 04:47:03 AM »
MAN that comment by Minna's Father (mumbles "if that's even your real name" under my breath as if I'm in a cartoon)

That's something I was concerned about when they first popped up in the comment section (I actually said as much when I replied to their comment under the comic where LP was released). It's easy to say you're something on the internet, but we don't have any actual proof that they're her father. Frankly, for all we know they could be Minna herself sockpuppeting.

I think, at least with the first time they popped up, we mostly took them at their word in the hope that we could convince a somewhat more rational person with close ties to Minna that, for me at least, there was reason to be concerned about Minna's apparently sudden (though not so much in hindsight) swerve into fundamentalism and other unsavory opinions.

But with this comment?

Honestly, it's basically a strawman argument. That's how hard it missed the point. It makes me concerned that even if it's from her dad, he might not exactly be the best person either, because there's no way for anyone who actually read the criticism to interpret it so incredibly wrongly by accident.

(Also, going to join the chorus praising The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. Read it as part of my American Literature class a couple years ago and it's pretty much burned into my memory - Le Guin had a fantastic command of language to write something so impactful in so short a story. I'm not sure it's quite comparable to LP, but I think I can understand where that position is coming from.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 04:52:30 AM by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #608 on: April 25, 2021, 06:06:31 AM »
My personal opinion regarding it: he completely missed the point of the reaction and critique.

The only part of substance that I can meaningfully respond to is that yes, "there should be tons of interesting stuff to discuss and speculate about [the two main characters who are NOT Christians'] background, education, support network, values, viewpoints, experience of reality etc." Which Minna seemed to deliberately exclude from the comic. In favor of the "Christian homemaker". The show is stolen in the comic itself, not the critique.

Even then, the vast majority of the reaction is to Minna's own writing in the author's notes.
I see that we're largely in agreement, so let me focus on the smaller part where I hold a different opinion. We¹ haven't been talking about Christian viewpoints because of The Christian Homemaker (whose name is Marigold, actually ... gotta make a list so as not to forget all the time). The Christian who stole the thunder of the LP characters is the one appearing on page 72 of the comic, as Minna apparently could not let the comic reach an end on its own terms before starting a P.S. and pointing out the RL events that prompted her to write it.²

Yes, there would be a lot to speculate on. From The Teacher (Peppermint) bringing three kids into exile with not a word about, much less communication with, their father(s?), to The Influencer (Peony) apparently having no relatives whatsoever that she might want to inform, to how much of a Christian Marigold actually is³, to what they all actually do expect to find (other than "what if it's a trap?") in that exile that nobody has any idea of beyond "here's a map, which we ultimately got from a Christian source (Cinnamon)". No, we¹ aren't doing that, yet. Because we¹ have it on good authority that the actual comic contents are supposed to pale against the RL issues the author brings up.

¹ To clarify, the "we" I'm using above is meant to mostly refer to those who've found LP by way of following SSSS and do not find LP to their liking; those who do did post comments on a number of details and theories around LP, but they're clearly not what Jouni described as "baffling lack of interest".
² Yes, the fact that Minna did that to LP is a major factor in my meeting her promise to see SSSS to a "proper" end more or less with "I'll believe that when I see it" so far.
³ After all, unlike the apostle Peter referenced in the story, Marigold did deny her Christian faith in a setting where she did not have to fear repercussions for doing so, while talking to her closest friends on page 40.

perhaps there's a much larger portion of people who simply decided to put down their tablets/turn off their computers after they read the bunny comic because it took a LOT of energy for me to unpack all this when I first read it. [...] And even I had to sit down and think about it for six hours before I could make like three incoherent tweets about it.
If I remember correctly, there was not a single Disqus comment about LP before Minna herself linked to it on 22-Mar apart from the one where Elaine linked to it on Instagram two or three days prior. I knew we¹ were in for a ride when I found myself unable to, over the weekend, come up with any comment that I wouldn't had feared to start a flamefest right away ...

MAN that comment by Minna's Father (mumbles "if that's even your real name" under my breath as if i'm in a cartoon)
Jouni and Minnas mom have occasionally appeared in the comments before, sans touchy topics, and back when I felt it necessary to pass along certain sensitive information to Minna in a way she would take note of (unlike her e-mail accounts at the time), Jouni and me communicated through what looked like a genuine, long-standing Facebook page of his. No guarantees, of course (and sorry, I'm not on Alizongle and have lost the URL and throwaway Facebook account immediately after), but they are IMHO likely to at least notice if this actually were an imposter.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #609 on: April 25, 2021, 07:28:12 AM »
Wow, Minna's dad really went "this comic that explicitly mocks and condemns religious tolerance, and ends with a message of literal Christian proselytism, was made to support a persecuted Muslim minority". I suppose we shouldn't take for granted even the most basic understanding of a fictional work's message from every reader.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #610 on: April 25, 2021, 10:38:56 AM »
2. The proof for this is that Minna's author's notes basically explained her entire reason/motive/reasoning behind the comic, and none of it mentions Uyghurs.
If it was about Uyghurs, why christians? The logical choice in my opinion would have been muslim bunnys.

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
« Reply #611 on: April 25, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
(Also, going to join the chorus praising The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. Read it as part of my American Literature class a couple years ago and it's pretty much burned into my memory - Le Guin had a fantastic command of language to write something so impactful in so short a story. I'm not sure it's quite comparable to LP, but I think I can understand where that position is coming from.)

As concerns comparison, I mostly mentioned it because the superficial structure (a society centered on happiness and prosperity, pinned together by an ugly truth, featuring dissidents who can't abide by that bargain and leave to seek something else) is a biit LP-esque.  An earlier comment mentioned LP would have more thematic strength if the homeless rabbit was the turning point for the character's emotional journey.

To be clear, I don't think there's any sort of honest consideration of this bunny society. Its a shallow Phone Bad type story with a fairly astounding lack of empathy.   There's none of the moral dilemma that makes Omelas so disturbing. The people who leave, in that story, do so because they can't conceive of a way to save the child without damaging the city. In Lovely People, the presence of suffering is broached and then summarily ignored. They leave because "gee, this place is a bit unfulfilling, really. Guess we'll go live in the woods".

The primitivism...does seem to come around to a bit of a Christian viewpoint again. Now I'm thinking about the story of the Exodus, or all those other biblical stories about fleeing a wicked city. Man. The more I think about ways this reflects onto SSSS the more sad I feel. As someone who gets very sensorily overloaded in cities, I was primed and ready to be in the "aw yeah! Back to nature" camp, but it does all have that dull glow of Reject Modernity, Embrace Tradition*, doesn't it.

*a rather insidious internet meme favored by right-wingy and even white supremacist types. Hard emphasis on that im not lumping Minna in with these people (yet), but this new output steers that interpretation way more towards intentional text. :(  I'm so glad that the forum seems generally devoid of such types, at least the uncloseted ones.

I'm not gonna comment on the Jouni thing, other than that I get the impulse to go on the defensive (especially for a loved one). But this is a pretty egregious thing to defend. Way to use the suffering of others as a shield against critique.

KElder

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #612 on: April 25, 2021, 10:57:19 AM »
I have not posted here in years, though I lurk daily. Like others, I can’t believe it’s something like this that has dragged me out of my very comfortable observation post.

I read LP as soon as I saw it was posted. And I’ve spent the entire time since then trying to process, reading others’ comments voraciously and sometimes just trying to ignore it had been put into the world at all. I'm usually prepared for trauma-triggering media but I wasn’t expecting this one.

So many others have articulated better than I ever could the many personal levels that have been disturbed by reading that comic and the note afterwards. Also, Minna’s and her father’s subsequent commentaries. I have nothing substantive to add on those points.

At this time, I merely wish to say to everyone here that I am grateful to this community and the civility, camaraderie and creativity it engenders no matter the external forces that tempt derailment.
:usa: - Fluent
:france: - Somewhat competent depending on the day

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #613 on: April 25, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »
If it was about Uyghurs, why christians? The logical choice in my opinion would have been muslim bunnys.

While Minna may have been alarmed by the persecution of the Uyghurs and that may have jolted her into thinking about religious persecution within her own context, Lovely People is fundamentally a story about Minna's own Christianity and the things she perceives to be a threat to it. It's not and never was a story about groups other than her own, even if things that have happened to other groups may have been a spark for the fear that drove her to write it the way she did. Like many here have said before me, Minna's father very much misses the point as to why people are angry about the story.

Also, for everybody reacting to Minna's father's comment right now, please remember that while you do absolutely have the right to be angry about Lovely People and the father's comment, this channel is for civil discussion and critique, not throwing jabs at Minna or her father or speculation about them. I don't think things are gonna devolve into that kind of thing, but just keep that in mind - even if people are espousing views that are objectionable or badly-thought-out, they are still people and I think that does give them the right to a certain level of respect, especially in a place like this where we've worked very hard to form a culture where people can have respectful discussions about really tricky and provocative topics such as these.

(also, I read 'Those who walk away from Omelas', and it was a very good story - I feel like I may have read it before, but it definitely sat with me.)
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #614 on: April 25, 2021, 11:45:36 AM »
Minna doesnt care about Uyghurs, she hates China and everything she thinks China represents.

From surface level racist drivel like the Emil Incident to conspiratorial "China is behind all the tech companies censorign my Freeze Peach on Twitter Dot Com".

Everything except admitting she was wrong, and shes been running backwards with it so much that she fell into evangalist christianity because its as racist and anti socialist as she is.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....