Author Topic: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'  (Read 108067 times)

Jellyfish

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
Re: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« Reply #360 on: March 28, 2021, 10:30:43 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I may have mixed feelings now, but I still don't want Minna to work herself to exhaustion here. As much as I enjoy the comic, if Minna wraps it up because she can't go on I won't complain.

catbirds

« Reply #361 on: March 28, 2021, 10:37:37 AM »
As a Christian I am not upset by the Father/Mother/Universe thing because I in any way want to make anyone feel excluded from Christianity (and I really don't think most Christians would want such a thing) or mocked for being who they are (okay, apparently many Christians are guilty of that one, which is very, very sad). But Jesus chose to use "Father". Why is it so hard for people who have struggled for their own right to the pronouns they prefer to respect God's decision to what he prefers?

Oh, I think we may have a bit of a misunderstanding here. Minna changed the text in the bible in the context of her comic from "father" I presume to "father/mother/universe," which is not a direct jab at God or Jesus, just a jab at when a lot of texts (NOT the bible, the bible just happens to be the only book mentioned in the bunny comic) went from using exclusively EITHER he or she to using inclusive pronouns like he/she/they. Now most people can just use "they" in speech, so the he/she/they part is not totally accurate.

I don't think anyone actually cares to revise the bible to the point where "Father" is actually changed to "Father/Mother/Universe," the bunny comic itself was just a hypothetical situation. I've read parts of the bible and I have always liked learning about history, so I value its many testaments as they are despite not really having a faith. But I am talking about how the way Minna chose to alter it in her comic is a jab at inclusive pronoun use.

Overall, this is a relatively small part of the text that I did not think many people would discuss, considering the other, bigger problems people have pointed out. I still hope my explanation helps.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #362 on: March 28, 2021, 12:05:04 PM »
Out of interest, do you mean that when such a post is eventually released, it will not mark the thread as having new content, and if it has other new content, clicking the "new" button will not take us to that "oldest seemingly-new post"?

I'm a bit confused because that's not what I remember from the occasions when posts or threads were moved after the fact, at least ...

This is slightly different to moving posts. The posts by a moderated member are still present within the thread, but they aren't visible to anyone other than mods until we either approve or reject them. Once they are approved, they are visible to everyone, located at the time when the post was originally made (possibly *before* other posts which have been made since that time), rather than at the time it was approved. As for whether you will receive a notification to say there is new content, I'm not entirely sure and will need to check.

Thorny - just be kind and you should be fine :) We want to keep this thread open as a place for people to express both their well thought out opinions, but also their hurt, their anger and their confusion, both at the comic itself and at the response to it (or their enjoyment of the comic, that's a valid response too). Disagreements are going to happen, as are posts that push against our worldviews and make us uncomfortable, but so long as the discussion remains understanding and civil there's no problem!

Miragia - I appreciate you coming on this thread and giving your perspective as a Christian, as I'm sure it can't be an easy thing to read through so much content where the faith that brought you comfort has caused harm to others. I have huge respect for people who are willing to admit they were wrong and try to understand and grow from the experience (one of the reasons why I'm so disappointed in Minna tbh). Please continue to talk with us :) I've been a bit worried that the content of this thread as a whole might make our Christian Minnions feel unwelcome or defensive, but this forum is for them as well, and the many posts by Christians on this thread have given me a much better understanding of the message as they read it, and as Minna (possibly) intended, which is something I would have had difficulty with by myself.
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

blabo

« Reply #363 on: March 28, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »
Overall, this is a relatively small part of the text that I did not think many people would discuss, considering the other, bigger problems people have pointed out.

I would argue that this is actually pretty central. The criticism directed at inclusiveness and political correctness is perhaps even more explicit than the one directed at consumerism. PC and inclusive language - viewed as "fake", forced by the authority, and in opposition to being true to oneself and one's own beliefs - are actually used as a trigger to the turning point in the plot. They are portrayed as the threat to Christianity / the Bible.
:it: + :gb: / :no: (anstendig) / :dk: (vil svare på norsk) / :fr: (un peu) / :nl: (een klein beetje)

Hedge

• Tumblr
« Reply #364 on: March 28, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
I agree that it can easily get grating, but the fact is that even if you were to remove all religions from the face of Earth, that concept would still be very much alive and well. Look at ecological footprint, look at what modern psychology (and criminology) has found out about the base instincts in every human being, look at pretty much every philosopher telling people they ought to change, look at the parents pondering whether they should send their kid to a Better School™ and trying to match the effect on the kid's later income to the expense. "You start out negative [to everyone else] and need to improve, pronto" all around, and not all of them are just ideological make-believe.

Hah, absolutely. It's definitely not just limited to religion in general or Christianity in particular, but I think there's certain flavours of/approaches to it that are more...prevalent in some systems. Spoiler content: mild mental health stuff, Calvinism, Conservative Christianity & The Discourse (social and environmental justice) rambling

Spoiler: show
I know it's a popular viewpoint and I've had my own issues with cripplingly low self esteem to know you don't need an external actor for it either, it's just that I find it particularly galling when it's written into an ideological framework, and there's a difference between "we should try to be better people than we are"/"we all have an instinct for cruelty that we must be aware of" and "we must try to be better because we're all objectively and automatically terrible/unclean/impure/trash people". It just feels like a very unhealthy mindset to cultivate the idea that your base state isn't neutral but actively detestable.

And yeah that very much goes for some of the similar attitudes surrounding eco-consciousness too, though I'd argue that there's a significant thread of that that runs through social and environmental justice discourse that was imported wholesale from US-Brand Christianity ("now with added Calvinism!").

You see it a lot in the Anglosphere at least where there's a lot of folk from conservative American Christian backgrounds. Many of whom are quite young and aren't yet aware of how, while they've changed the views they were raised with on what specific details make someone a good or bad person, they still (understandably) tend to approach it through the same mental framework: It's sin and virtue, a dogmatic approach to received wisdom from authorities, deemphasising questioning things even to improve understanding, extreme intolerance for even minorly dissenting views and the base assumption that of course you're inherently a deeply sinful problematic person and past actions, even born of ignorance, are an indelible stain that you must feel guilty about forevermore. Also a bunch or other stuff that's less relevant here but still, the influence can be glaring.

This may have gone off the rails a little bit, but yeah tl;dr: people will always keep reinventing the idea that everyone starts out evil and must be redeemed but also in a bunch of stuff that seems unrelated in the modern world it's probably directly inherited from certain forms of Christianity.

Also, I've been wondering what continuing SSSS might do to Minna, assuming that we're reading her right as saying "I'm continuing this for y'all but my heart isn't it anymore". It threatens to paint her memory of SSSS as a time where she was lugging a ball and chain along, preventing her from doing what she wanted, and such a memory might cause her not to want to come back to it even if she turns away from her current path later on. A year-or-so of "meh, for old times' sake" in return for slamming the door eternally shut behind her, is that the deal we want ... ?

(Of course, right now, we probably couldn't get the message of "it's OK, don't bother" across to Minna if we tried, so it's an academic question for now ...)
God sent Jesus to reshape the world, which obviously needed someone to get His hands dirty, but for a divine and eternal end; I don't think that that will cause a double-take.

Also this, we all hate the dreaded "indefinite hiatus" when a webcomic creator loses their joy for a project but like, webcomics are a lot of work and I don't want people to be doing it out of obligation when once it was a labour of love. This comic has brought us all a lot of joy for a long time and I'd hate to see her leaving it behind with bitterness.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #365 on: March 28, 2021, 12:31:19 PM »
I would argue that this is actually pretty central. The criticism directed at inclusiveness and political correctness is perhaps even more explicit than the one directed at consumerism. PC and inclusive language - viewed as "fake", forced by the authority, and in opposition to being true to oneself and one's own beliefs - are actually used as a trigger to the turning point in the plot. They are portrayed as the threat to Christianity / the Bible.

Agreed. The consumerism criticism is actually very weak, it almost seems to me that it's a bait to get people to nod along and let their guard down for what follows. Despite taking so much space in the comic (and in some of the readers' takeaway from it) we don't see any punishment whatsoever for bunnies who don't engage in endorsed influencer-style consumerism - they just don't get the extra points, but none are deducted from them either for not buying enough or for being friends with other people who are not enthusiastic consumers.

On the other hand, not updating your Bible, reading the original version and even being friends with other bunnies who do despite not reading it yourself, all decrease your score, and severely so, as we've seen. The World Council explicitly cares way more about controlling bunnies' religion than their consuming habits.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #366 on: March 28, 2021, 12:47:13 PM »
Note: quotes below taken from under a spoiler. I don't think these particular bits need to be spoiled; but I'm leaving this note and a gap.

there's a difference between "we should try to be better people than we are"/"we all have an instinct for cruelty that we must be aware of" and "we must try to be better because we're all objectively and automatically terrible/unclean/impure/trash people".

And also a very large difference between "we all have negative tendencies as well as positive ones; we need to be aware of the negative ones and should try to encourage the positive ones" and "we are all utterly and irredeemably worthless and there's no sense in trying to be any better."

while they've changed the views they were raised with on what specific details make someone a good or bad person, they still (understandably) tend to approach it through the same mental framework:

Yup; what I call "back-of-the-head assumptions."

We've all got them. And they are very hard to see -- until one sees them, at which point they may suddenly look glaring.

I've found at least some of mine; hauled out into the light where the entire mind can look at them I agree with some of them but have done my best to get rid of others. I do wonder what might still be in there that I haven't seen yet.

Maple

« Reply #367 on: March 28, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
On the other hand, not updating your Bible, reading the original version and even being friends with other bunnies who do despite not reading it yourself, all decrease your score, and severely so, as we've seen. The World Council explicitly cares way more about controlling bunnies' religion than their consuming habits.

Also, all of that needs to be seen through the lens of "this is in here for a reason." This isn't a real-life event where things just happen, and after the fact you can go "that's weird how that ended up!" This is a work of fiction, and each word and each panel was created by Minna. If it wasn't important to the story, then it wouldn't be in the comic.

I know some people are trying not to make assumptions about Minna, and I respect that. But I still have to ask the question: Why was this in the comic? Why did this corrupt government- which is 100% fictional and made for the purpose of the story, so every action they take was written on purpose- decide to target Christians explicitly and to such lengths? What narrative purpose does it serve?

The answers I'm coming up with on my own aren't that hopeful either.

catbirds

« Reply #368 on: March 28, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
Oof, Maple, Sc0ut, and blabo, you're absolutely right, my waving it off was an oversight. I'd only seen a few replies and one person's tags on tumblr point this out, so I thought it was minor.

I know some people are trying not to make assumptions about Minna, and I respect that. But I still have to ask the question: Why was this in the comic? Why did this corrupt government- which is 100% fictional and made for the purpose of the story, so every action they take was written on purpose- decide to target Christians explicitly and to such lengths? What narrative purpose does it serve?

The answers I'm coming up with on my own aren't that hopeful either.

Spoiler: more rambling? • show

This is the approach that I think this comic needs to be analyzed by. The way she made fun of PC language use (the pronouns, being inclusive to other faiths, etc...) as the reason why Christians are being persecuted in-universe was what bothered me from the beginning. It's something that I've never understood, because why not respect other people's preferences and faiths?

Her choice to frame it as "oh, PC language is going to make us change OUR sacred text" is deliberate. She's already come out to say that she wanted this work to mean something, so when I got to that turning point (p. 39), I just said a big "oh no."

As I said earlier, I don't think anyone would change the bible's passages to what was discussed on page 39 of the bunny comic. I don't even think people should, although I agree that teaching it with the lens of "this text may have some outdated beliefs that are harmful to minorities or women, just make sure to think critically" isn't a bad way to go about it (or any body of text).

And yeah, the consumerism criticism part is pretty weak. It feels like being bashed over the head with a textbook I'd already completed the exercises for two years ago. Almost literally.

Kevin_Redcrow

« Reply #369 on: March 28, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
Gleaning some random data from pages 23-25 of this topic, I am becoming aware of the frustration that none of us can fully know why this happened.  We each base our opinion of Ms. Sundberg on the particular combination of her postings, content of her creative works, and audio commentary of her videos. And allow me to add: things said by each of us in the fandom.

I based my opinion on the content of her creative works, introductory comments on each new comic page, and a paltry two videos she posted, Hence the opening statement in my first-ever posting on this thread and in this forum:  I did not see this coming

To those of you who feel that Minna is being attacked:  This may very well be the case of a few people here. But the motivation for this is likely not a blind act of prejudice, but from a deep sense of loss. At least, this is the basis of my disappointment and disillusionment.  A true attack would be from a random troll from outside of the fandom.

A few pages back I saw a very raw, angry attack apparently addressed to Ms Sundberg directly. I agree with the Moderator's reply about keeping things civil in this Forum(and his "sigh" gave me a chuckle). And I want to commend the moderators for allowing that one post to stand.  I can relate to the raw internal reaction this poster must have been feeling.  There was a time in my younger days when that would have been my own reaction.

In the end, I hope for an outcome which will at least partly gratify all of us: Ms. Sundberg, her social-media followers, and the fans of SSSS. Barring that, I hope to find acceptance of what ever the outcome is.

pinkysaxton

« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »
This is a good point. I for one would prefer if SSSS were left on a hiatus indefinitely at the nearest non-cliffhanger point, with the possibility of Minna returning to it when and if she genuinely wants to draw it again, rather than her trudging through making hundreds of pages that *she* doesn't enjoy and her new found audience might not either, at a time when she has alienated a large part of her traditional following to varying degrees. As disappointed as I am in her recent behaviour, there's a small part of me that hopes she will change her world view again, this time for the better (by which I don't necessarily mean I dream of her becoming an atheist again, just maybe adopting a more moderate and tolerant understanding of Christianity, the one she mocked in her new comic, that is).

I think it was lucky that Minna had to take a few extra weeks to finish the comic, because this prompt chapter break will hopefully help her that figure out. I know she said she'll continue with it, (to the end of this book instead of the adventure maybe?) but once she gets inspiration for her next story she may decide to funnel her energy elsewhere. And I think once 409 dies down and her audience decreases (either back to where is was without the newbies or with less of the old crowd), she may feel less of that burden to complete the story arc.
And who knows, if this is a temporary thing and she reels back on the fundamentalism, she may be glad to have cut it off early and give her a chance come back to it later. Without feeling the need to redo some of the panels.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #371 on: March 28, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »
Oh man. The sheer volume of amazing discussion in this thread is overwhelming. I really wanted to process it into a whole and find some conclusive balance, so last night I sat down to try to write a summary post condensing all of the big ideas into sort of a opinion-free cheat sheet for anybody who is also feeling overwhelmed. . . . Turns out there's just too much. :P

I don't have a lot to say about the comic's themes that hasn't already been said, so I'll try not to write a wall about them. I think I fall into the same camp as most of the people here: religious faith can be a wonderful thing, self-deprecating faith and evangelism is alarming and can be harmful, the sci-fi aspects of the comic are interesting and could be expanded upon. That's an extremely truncated, dry synopsis, but it's good enough.

In keeping with recent practice, I'm putting my gratitude/long story below the spoiler cut:

In all of this, I keep thinking about Minna. It's hard to avoid speculating about her experience right now (as Maple mentioned while I was writing this), what she means by the things she says and does (or doesn't do, as Minna seems to be taking a very hands-off approach at the moment). Particularly because, as JoB mentioned just a bit ago, we do know some things about Minna's personal life from her comic page posts, art streams, and YouTube vlogs. I'm going to try not to draw any conclusions about what she's thinking and feeling, because as other people have pointed out, the bottom line is that we really just don't know her -- this is partly because she's a private person (as is her right to be), and partly because you can never really know the life of somebody you have a professional or creator-fan relationship with. But I do wonder.

When I read the afterword to Lovely People, it felt to me less like an organized argument and more like a stream of consciousness piece, as if Minna were talking to herself instead of to us. For me, that's often what the writing experience is like: I'm just talking to myself on a screen, and the words that ultimately make it out to my audience don't have the context that they did when they were swimming around in my head. If I'm very careful, if I review and revise, I might get it right, but if I were to release a stream-of-consciousness piece, I know it wouldn't be complete because I hadn't taken the time to reflect on my own arguments. I don't mean to suggest that this is actually what's going on in Lovely People, but it feels that way to me -- both the comic and the afterword feel unstructured, derailed in the middle as Minna and her characters seek out a moral foundation to help them cope with/escape from a world that has become increasingly materialistic. It brings up an interesting question for me, one that I don't think we can answer because, again, we don't know Minna: did her conversion occur in response to these dystopian trends she saw arising in the world, and that's why the story goes the way it goes? Or did she start writing the story first with a different vision for the conclusion, become convinced of her own sinfulness, and then tug the story sideways? That stream-of-consciousness feeling I get from the whole thing suggests a lack of beginning-to-end planning, which means that this comic might be an interesting artifact preserving the process of Minna's conversion to Christianity. . . .

I was raised without religion and never had a Bible thumped at me until I was an adult -- part of why I'm so grateful for everything that's been said in this thread this past week-ish. Lots of really valuable perspectives. One thing that has struck me over the past two or three years, having gained loved ones who are deeply connected to their Christian faith, is how powerful a motivator it can be to do good and to have compassion for yourself and for others (depending, you know, on what branch of Christianity you subscribe to). I'll admit I've been a little envious of that sometimes, particularly during a very low point in my life a few years ago. "Gosh, you know, it would be so convenient if I believed that somebody knew me completely and loved me unconditionally, even when I don't. It would be nice to have a reason to do good things that outweighs this feeling of futility." In my own way, I've lately and very slowly started to discover a secular version of that faith-based motivator, and one of the most helpful ways to explore it has been by writing conversational scripts between myself and the people I take inspiration from, and drawing out bits of scenes as if I were going to make a graphic novel. So when I read Lovely People, knowing that Minna had recently converted to Christianity and talked on Twitch about spending more time reading the Bible, I saw her doing something sort of similar to what I've been doing for the past few months -- speculating, exploring, sorting ourselves out through works in progress because we are works in progress. I saw Lovely People as an imperfect, incomplete story, a by-product of Minna's spiritual journey which is still actively unfolding. I still see it that way, in addition to now seeing it the way that many other people do.

I'm not saying anything about Minna's choice of words, the flavor of her faith, or how she's handled criticism of both of those things. Those are different conversations that have pretty much already been had here. But I do want to say that, to me, Minna's focus seems entirely taken up by spiritual reflection, a deeply private experience that may be filling her up so fully that she's compelled to express and explore it in her professional art. I understand that feeling of fullness, of needing to create in order to understand and clarify it. I think we all do to some extent. I think we all hope that her journey is a healthy one for her, that it gives her support when she needs it.

This is where it becomes difficult to avoid speculating, because I already know a bit about Minna's lifestyle: she's very private, she appears to prefer avoiding heated conversations, she works very hard and lives alone. I can see myself developing quite a bubble that way. If strong faith suddenly came into my life, I can also see it filling the bubble quite a lot and making it easy to set aside whatever happens outside of the bubble, including people's responses to a very personal graphic short story I felt drawn to create as an exploration of my new, powerful faith. Especially if I know that those responses are going to be heated, as they often are whenever religion is brought up, in any form and with any measure of grace or non-grace. Not making any comments about the quality of the responses -- clearly there are some very valid negative responses coming to the table in this thread -- just that I can see how somebody who doesn't like confrontation would prefer to avoid dealing with them.

Is that true for Minna? Again, I don't know for sure, I really don't. I feel a little guilty opening the floor for speculation in the first place here.

Is it important to be aware of the effect one's words and actions have on their community? Absolutely. My perspective of what I've said and your perspective of what I've said are two sides of the same coin. What is the responsibility one has to the people that are hurt by those words and actions? That's an extremely important question that different people have different answers to, and I think it's a fundamental component of the tension I've seen arise in this thread and in the comments on SSSS page 409. Interestingly, it's also fundamental to Lovely People itself -- "When somebody says something that someone else doesn't like, what should be done, and by whom?" (I'm not the first person to point that out in this thread, but I think it bears repeating.)

Anyway. Sorry to throw another wall of text into this conversation. I've read all 25 pages of it. I understand why people feel the way they feel about Minna's religious statements, the way she's handled controversy now and in the past, and even the way she portrayed the Lovely People society itself (exclusive of religion) -- I understand both sides of each of those points.

I guess the point of this is to say: thanks for being civil, guys, thanks for talking to each other. For people who are being patient with folks you don't see eye-to-eye with, thank you. We should always keep conversation open, even if it's hard -- especially when it's hard -- and strive to see the other person's humanness before we decide what's to be done. At that point the decision about the Right Thing to Do is yours.

ETA: Kevin_Redcrow and Gwenno beat me to the humanist punch and I totally agree with you guys :P
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:14:45 PM by SkyWhalePod »
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

hollow

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »

It brings up an interesting question for me, one that I don't think we can answer because, again, we don't know Minna: did her conversion occur in response to these dystopian trends she saw arising in the world, and that's why the story goes the way it goes? Or did she start writing the story first with a different vision for the conclusion, become convinced of her own sinfulness, and then tug the story sideways? That stream-of-consciousness feeling I get from the whole thing suggests a lack of beginning-to-end planning, which means that this comic might be an interesting artifact preserving the process of Minna's conversion to Christianity. . . .

I was wondering about some of these questions myself! As you say there's a total limit on speculation. In the end there are some things we can't and won't know about Minna's life. However, the story (Lovely People) feels almost split into two. There's a story about the dangers of the internet age and then there's a story about Christian faith and persecution. The two have connections between them (surveillance dystopia can lead to persecution of Christians) but on the whole they feel separate. It makes me wonder if Minna started writing a story about the social credit system (as she explains in the end notes) and then suddenly converted in the middle, leading her to retroactively add in all the Christian subplot and add the end text that seems so disconnected from the rest of the story.

I have read the entire thread as of now, and as many others have said, thank you moderators! This whole thread has been cathartic. I feel like I've lost a story and an artist who I greatly admired, yet gained access to a wonderful community of thoughtful people.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
Some more guessing and pondering along the lines of what was in @SkyWhalePod's spoiler.

This is where it becomes difficult to avoid speculating, because I already know a bit about Minna's lifestyle: she's very private, she appears to prefer avoiding heated conversations, she works very hard and lives alone. I can see myself developing quite a bubble that way. If strong faith suddenly came into my life, I can also see it filling the bubble quite a lot and making it easy to set aside whatever happens outside of the bubble, including people's responses to a very personal graphic short story I felt drawn to create as an exploration of my new, powerful faith. Especially if I know that those responses are going to be heated, as they often are whenever religion is brought up, in any form and with any measure of grace or non-grace. Not making any comments about the quality of the responses -- clearly there are some very valid negative responses coming to the table in this thread -- just that I can see how somebody who doesn't like confrontation would prefer to avoid dealing with them.

You've made great points in this comment, and I largely agree with it. However this part doesn't really click for me. Neither making the comic nor posting it were a spur-of-the-moment decision. Minna worked on it for months, she surely had time to think about the response, and she is obviously both intelligent and experienced enough to have a good guess at how it would go. If she is so consumed by her religion, why not just keep it personal, but instead make a high effort comic (not to mention the even more infamous afterword), and post them knowing full well how it would go? If she doesn't care about what happens outside her bubble, why go out of her way to make arguably her first political comic ever, that is all about criticising current society as she perceives it?

To me, it feels like the need to lash out to the world, including a subset of the ssss fandom, was at least an equally strong reason to make her comic as sharing her new-found religion was. In fact, knowing what went down in the fandom, it seems to me Minna has been upset about certain aspects of contemporary international culture for a long time, and she recently happened to come by a religion that validates her concerns and allows her to really feel superior over those she dislikes, so she rolled it into the comic package for an extra punch - so more or less what @hollow said while I was still writing this.

At the end of the day you're right that it's impossible to know what she really is thinking and I remain aware of that. Just wanted to add my 2c to this.

Raaffiie

« Reply #374 on: March 28, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »
Gleaning some random data from pages 23-25 of this topic, I am becoming aware of the frustration that none of us can fully know why this happened.  We each base our opinion of Ms. Sundberg on the particular combination of her postings, content of her creative works, and audio commentary of her videos. And allow me to add: things said by each of us in the fandom.

I based my opinion on the content of her creative works, introductory comments on each new comic page, and a paltry two videos she posted, Hence the opening statement in my first-ever posting on this thread and in this forum:  I did not see this coming

Thank you for putting that feeling into words. I've mostly been staying out of the discussion, as I don't think I have much to add, and Minna's words didn't hurt me personally as they did some others. But even so, there is that feeling of loss.

Personally, I don't really believe the art can be separated from the artist; it's just that a given work only shows a very limited part of an artist's personality. I cannot claim to really know Minna, but through her work I had the very minimum of ideas of what she was like, through her sense of humour and how she used different cultures in her writing. At the same time she made it no secret that she was quite isolated, and I often disagreed with the way that she handled things. Still, I'm having a lot of difficulty connecting the dots.

Contrasting her recent behaviour with her earlier writing, on the CoH blog for instance, I can't help but feel that she's ended up in a very dark place mentally, particularly since the pandemic really took hold. But at the same time, I feel that it's massively presumptuous of me to speculate like that about someone I only know of in a very limited capacity. Going back in the SSSS archive and further back to aRTD, I keep wondering when she started thinking like this, or if this was always a part of her. It's not just that I strongly disagree with Minna - if it was only that, I could just distance myself from her work, even though that would still sting a bit. As is, I just don't know how to place it.
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪