Author Topic: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'  (Read 108039 times)

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »
You know, reading the last post, I've had an interesting idea.
Ok, so the comic came out allright, and then the afterword made a tonn of noise. Someone's offended, someone's not, but everyone is in it. Minna have a long career in media by now, so I think she knows how things work.
What if she made her afterword intendebly offensive (though it's still just a bit rude for me, but that's just a difference in our standards of offensiveness, I guess) to make people pay attention to her message? To make them talk about it, think about it, start a discussion?
To think about it, a lot of Romans and Pharisees probably found Jesus'es preaching offensive, but that's exactly what made him popular.
I considered this as well. Not just to get people talking about it but to get a good chunk of her current readership upset by it. Minna's well aware that quite a lot of her current readers are not Christians, are LGBTQ+, are members of minority populations, or in some way "othered" by the mainstream societies in which they live.

Here's my cynical take on it: She expected this backlash. She wanted it. Remember, according to her own notes WE are the bad guys here. The irredeemable sinners.

In this context, it's us who represent Alizongle. If we are turning away from her, "casting her out" then she must be doing something right. She can hold this up as "proof" that The World™ rejects "The Truth" of Jesus, that she and people like her ARE being persecuted for their faith in the sense that their faith alone causes others to shun her.

This is great marketing for the new direction she's taking. There's no such thing as bad publicity, right? She is already building a new base of Jesus Minnions. We can see their comments defending her under comic 409. I'm sure they will carry her forward into her new Christian endeavors and will have no problem telling her how right she was to abandon her godless prior works and the fanbase that went with them.
But she could have started questioning it when she saw the beggar bunny. That is more in line with Christianity, and would have made for a stronger story.
It's more in line with Christianity as it reads on paper, but time and again it is proven by these people that nothing is a problem no matter who is being hurt ... until it impacts them personally in some way. The beggar bunny was a stranger and she's clearly not reading enough of her Bible if she doesn't know Matthew 25:31-46 and the story of how you treat "the least of these." Maybe she felt bad enough about the beggar bunny to pray about her (off panel, of course), because that's literally the least anyone can do for anyone else and still feel smugly sure that you've done something to help them. No, it wasn't until it was her own daughter that it was a problem. Too bad Minna misses the part where the beloved church members will turn away and shun you if you can't get your problem kid back in line. Either get them in line or disown them. That's a pretty solid recurrent "Christian" theme based on my own experiences and what I've seen happen to others.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:34:36 PM by Tarnagh »
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2021, 01:37:47 PM »
So as I've been reading through this thread I keep seeing some mention to something everyone refers to as the "Emil incident," but I have no idea what that is. Would someone be nice enough to point me in the right direction so that I can figure out what this is? I started reading this comic forever ago and once I got caught up to the most recent page (at least the most recent page at the time) I ended up forgetting about it and I'm just now coming back to reading this comic again. I started reading the bunny comic, and I'm not done yet and will reserve judgement for when I finish, but I came over here to see what everyone thought of it. Anyways, everyone's mentioning something to do with Emil and I kind of want to know what exactly happened so that I can make an informed decision. So can anybody help?

The Emil incident refer to this page, 549 of Adventure I:

Apparently (I wasn't in SSSS community yet, so I wasn't witnesses), initially Emil used not a "kung fu", but another word, which is considered rude racial slur toward Asians. This caused major backlash. Minna (as far as I know, again) handled the situation... not well, which led for a large number of Minnions leaving the fandom.

tzelly

• Preferred pronouns: She/They
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
It would have made for a more powerful storytelling moment- AND a more powerful Christian storytelling moment- if the beggar bunny had been where the teacher bunny had started to question the system. It's easy to overlook suffering you hear about but don't see on your own. But seeing a bunny unable to get food when they are not a rotten person, that would have been a more powerful world-shattering moment for teacher bunny. Maybe not enough to make her give up the system, having her daughter be the moment she gives up on the government is okay. But she could have started questioning it when she saw the beggar bunny. That is more in line with Christianity, and would have made for a stronger story.

Absolutely, that would have fixed some of the problems with the story flow and make a clearer message. And also actually giving the teacher bunny some time to think about what it means to disobey. It really seems like the story was a first draft and rushed rushed rushed. As a whole it needed a few more re-writes and editing.

Maybe in addition, stretch out the Insta bunny's isolation after banning her friends, show the life getting sucked out of her. Like still reviewing products and just showing no interest on here face. Her points trickling to nothing and showing that even if you comply its going to eventually turn into a lose lose situation. Rather then exploding in rage and showing her bunny butt to the world.

And there really isnt a story for the good wife bunny that I can remember, she was mostly pointless except to show Christian oppression, oh and finding the map for the other bunnies to escape. Could literally cut her out and give that task to anyone else and the story would not have changed much.

Wow, I really dislike all these characters... not a one is likeable. except for the teacher bunny's elder daughter, she is ok..

sacredgrove

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Wow, looks like I'm not the only one to join just for the sake of commenting on this mini comic. Hello!

So, backstory, I suppose: I've been following Minna's stuff since the early chapters of A Redtail's Dream. It quickly became one of my all-time favorite comics; the art, story, and characters were phenomenal and lovable, even when they were jerks. Of course I'd follow her into SSSS, too.

I've always really enjoyed how religion/folktales/mythos/etc played a role in her work; never too imposing or in-your-face, but never looked down upon as silly nonsense. I actually loved the way Anne was handled since it was neither spoken of as some kind of "true belief" system but rather as the answer for those lost souls specifically. I feel like religion either gets depicted with a heavy hand or as the butt of a joke, so it was nice. I used to be one of Those Atheists who hated on religion as a teenager. Nowadays, I've grown into someone who can respect and enjoy the differences in beliefs, and where I can learn more I happily will!

When Minna first announced this comic, I was really excited! I loved all her previous projects, and even have a copy of A Redtail's Dream in hardcover. I figured it would be either a cutesy break from her usual more serious tones or a cutesy style for a darker story. Either way, I was following the progress with bated breath.

And then it was released.

If I'd known from the beginning what, "Lovely People," was going to be about, I wouldn't have read it. Not even out of curiosity. But there was no warning, no label about what I was about to read. She'd turned off comments so I couldn't even get a glimpse from other readers.

When I finished it, I sat there staring at the afterword for ten minutes. I have no words to describe the sheer hollowness of that moment, nor the overwhelming sense of distress that came after.

Like many others here I, too, was a victim of the Christian faith. I don't want to talk about my experience. It was bad. I doubt I'll ever be able to escape it, really, so I try with all my heart to focus on the positives in life. So hearing one of my all-time favorite creators say that...I couldn't even process it. This was her message to everyone? I thought I was reading too much into it. Surely it was me in the wrong here? But after re-reading it multiple times to glean what the "proper" meaning might've been...I came to the same conclusion.

I feel like I was spat upon.

This wasn't a small, "ugh, not this again," feeling. I've been upset for days now. I innocently walked into a comic and relived so much past trauma I swear I feel it physically. I heard the countless voices in my past screaming scripture and repentance at me. It's so deeply unsettling that in a space where I felt comfortable and accepted that I would be violated so thoroughly by radical religious doctrine. It has been beaten into me time and time again to the point where stewing too long in it wears down my mental health. Here, once again, I had to face it. With no warning.

I decided to keep trying to read SSSS despite how horrible I felt looking at it. Didn't really go well, honestly. That joy I used to feel when reading a new page isn't there anymore. I've never been on this forum before this moment but decided to click into it after noticing comments were still disabled. Hey, who knows, maybe reading another person's opinion would help me sort myself out, y'know?

Anyway: I read all seventeen pages of this thread.

It was so cathartic. At times it felt as though, despite not being part of the conversation, I was being welcomed into a comfort group. Just knowing I'm not alone in feeling this hurt has helped me so much. I don't have other people to talk to about this. There was so much to unpack all by myself that the sheer weight of it all made me double over.

From the bottom of my heart: thank you. I don't feel so alone anymore.

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »
Wow, looks like I'm not the only one to join just for the sake of commenting on this mini comic. Hello!

It seems to me that you're not. Since Minna's Christian bomb lovely people are multiplying here like bunnys...
I'm growing certain with a thought that it was made for hype. The purpose of a hype in unknown, but the outcome is obvious.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:13:28 PM by Maglor »
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Dan_Urios

• Digital illustrator
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #260 on: March 25, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »
Welp. I finally read it.
I read it thoroughly without missing a single word. So please let me be a little mean.

Stand Still Stay Silent is a good comic. It has pacing and it knows how to tell a story.
Lovely People is laughable. It lacks subtlety and goes as far as explicitly pointing at that "atheist" society and accusing it of doing things Christianism is very known for. It contradicts itself constantly, too.

Lovely People is a comic worth skipping, and I'm not talking about religion here. Although if we were, no piece of media should exist only sustaining itself on a single message. Lovely People is nothing without its half-assed religious messages and it has very probably made me lose faith (hah) in Minna as an author. This looks like a first-timer comic.

I needed to vent. Thank you.
Hi! My name is Dan, and I'm a digital illustrator based in Spain. If you wanna check my sfw work (like other SSSS fanart) here's my INSTAGRAM. Also, all of my social media accounts are HERE and my commissions are OPEN!

Fluent in: :es: :us: and

Learning: :de: :fi:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »
- The lack of a trigger warning, or any sort of note that might tell people of the very christian and sensitive nature of the afterword (though, as others have said, I don't think the comic or afterword was meant to be hurtful)
Something I realized just today:
There have been numerous requests by people feeling hurt by the "no faith but mine" part that Minna adds a trigger warning for that. (Which she still ignores, page 411 still announces "the mysterious bunny comic" with no more indication of Christian content than one protagonist being "a Christian homemaker".)
I don't remember seeing even one of the Christians who deplore the persecution of their faith in the comments ask for a trigger warning; after all, the comic also depicts such persecution, though not as its culmination point.
Wonder what that's trying to tell me ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2021, 03:24:34 PM »
Something I realized just today:
There have been numerous requests by people feeling hurt by the "no faith but mine" part that Minna adds a trigger warning for that. (Which she still ignores, page 411 still announces "the mysterious bunny comic" with no more indication of Christian content than one protagonist being "a Christian homemaker".)
I don't remember seeing even one of the Christians who deplore the persecution of their faith in the comments ask for a trigger warning; after all, the comic also depicts such persecution, though not as its culmination point.
Wonder what that's trying to tell me ...

I think it just shows which group has, and which group doesn't have, direct experience with being marginalised. For some their persecution is a theoretical possibility, for others a lived reality that got to traumatise them already.

Anyway: I read all seventeen pages of this thread.

It was so cathartic. At times it felt as though, despite not being part of the conversation, I was being welcomed into a comfort group. Just knowing I'm not alone in feeling this hurt has helped me so much. I don't have other people to talk to about this. There was so much to unpack all by myself that the sheer weight of it all made me double over.

Hey, I'm really sorry the comic affected you so much, but I'm glad the thread helped. You are seen, and definitely not alone in how you feel.

I considered this as well. Not just to get people talking about it but to get a good chunk of her current readership upset by it. Minna's well aware that quite a lot of her current readers are not Christians, are LGBTQ+, are members of minority populations, or in some way "othered" by the mainstream societies in which they live.

Here's my cynical take on it: She expected this backlash. She wanted it. Remember, according to her own notes WE are the bad guys here. The irredeemable sinners.

In this context, it's us who represent Alizongle. If we are turning away from her, "casting her out" then she must be doing something right. She can hold this up as "proof" that The World™ rejects "The Truth" of Jesus, that she and people like her ARE being persecuted for their faith in the sense that their faith alone causes others to shun her.

This is great marketing for the new direction she's taking. There's no such thing as bad publicity, right? She is already building a new base of Jesus Minnions. We can see their comments defending her under comic 409. I'm sure they will carry her forward into her new Christian endeavors and will have no problem telling her how right she was to abandon her godless prior works and the fanbase that went with them.

Yup. I think page 409 has the most comments a SSSS page's ever had at this point (and consequently, a lot of views and possibly ad revenue). This is not even a creative way to get popularity, plenty of people put out content that toes the limit of "too offensive" and benefit from the backlash, which naturally also attracts people who fight against the backlash because "freedom of speech". I don't know if Minna banked on it being a net positive for her, or whether she figured it was worth losing a portion of her old viewers (while gaining others, maybe even a bit fewer) as long as she gets the satisfaction of flipping off at length those of us who criticised her for the slur and lack of diversity. And before anyone accuses me I'm too harsh, she literally said her heart is full of spite herself.

Anyway that's why I've stopped engaging with the conversation on disqus and I only hang out here for now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:52:18 PM by Sc0ut »

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #263 on: March 25, 2021, 03:46:36 PM »

*Mental hugs from Mother Russia* You are most clearly not alone.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:48:36 PM by Dilandu »

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »
Like many others here I, too, was a victim of the Christian faith. I don't want to talk about my experience. It was bad. I doubt I'll ever be able to escape it, really, so I try with all my heart to focus on the positives in life. So hearing one of my all-time favorite creators say that...I couldn't even process it. This was her message to everyone? I thought I was reading too much into it. Surely it was me in the wrong here? But after re-reading it multiple times to glean what the "proper" meaning might've been...I came to the same conclusion.

I feel like I was spat upon.

This wasn't a small, "ugh, not this again," feeling. I've been upset for days now. I innocently walked into a comic and relived so much past trauma I swear I feel it physically. I heard the countless voices in my past screaming scripture and repentance at me. It's so deeply unsettling that in a space where I felt comfortable and accepted that I would be violated so thoroughly by radical religious doctrine. It has been beaten into me time and time again to the point where stewing too long in it wears down my mental health. Here, once again, I had to face it. With no warning.

I'm sorry that happened to you. It shouldn't happen to anyone. You are definitely not alone!  <3
I decided to keep trying to read SSSS despite how horrible I felt looking at it. Didn't really go well, honestly. That joy I used to feel when reading a new page isn't there anymore. I've never been on this forum before this moment but decided to click into it after noticing comments were still disabled. Hey, who knows, maybe reading another person's opinion would help me sort myself out, y'know?
And thank YOU for pinpointing a feeling I've been trying to define since All This™ started! There was an unspoken trust in Minna and her work that I find I don't have any more. SSSS has become just another comic (albeit still a beautifully drawn and so far still well written comic). I follow a lot of comics. This one is the only one I have ever dropped Significant Money on just so I could have hard copies of the book versions. This is the only comic I've ever blathered on about to friends and family about how great it is and how they should read it, too.

I can't say I would invest that kind of emotional effort into promoting this comic any more, knowing what's likely to happen. I would be betraying the trust of people who respect me, if I were to shove them into a situation that would also hurt them.

I find myself still very sad about this but thank you for helping me define exactly why I'm still feeling this way. Now I can work on sorting it out properly. :)
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2021, 04:00:31 PM »
Another long post warning, though due in this case not to long replies but just to their being a lot of them:

In that case, there would be no point in having an actual village at all, just a killbox sufficiently far away that the main part of the society will never get to know about it.

The point would be that for some time dissidents and potential dissidents would be getting messages from their actual friends, saying 'come on in the showers are fine.' This would probably make it easier to get people into the kill box.

Could it be a reference to a Biblical times, where early Christians were actually persecuted?

In a comic depicting a society full of modern tech, where the repression works through their phones?

Faith is a choice, even Christians will tell you this.

Some of them will tell you being gay and/or trans is a choice, too. See below.

But Faith, for those that truly believe in it, is not a choice, is indissociable from their identity.

Entirely true.

But also, in the other direction  (as I've said in the thread before, but it's a long thread; I'll quote a bit below): believing is also not a choice for those who don't believe. It isn't possible to just make oneself believe something that to the nonbeliever is obviously not true.

Practice is a choice, yes. The nonbeliever can show up in church and mouth the words; the believer can not show up and/or hide or not perform rituals out of fear or embarrassment or even inconvenience. But that's only a change in outward behavior, not in belief.

What I said before:
people can't just decide to believe something. I can't just decide to believe, at least without massive injury to my brain, that there are no cats that are expecting me to feed them and will be seriously upset if I don't, or that it doesn't matter how upset they are. (Fill in young children, if you've got any, instead of cats, and try it.) And I am no more capable of believing that Jesus of Nazareth was and is the one and only God of the Universe than I am of believing that Arthur of Britain is. Or that my brother-in-law is.

In this case Minna's afterwords, together with that last page, gave the story a different meaning, one of religious proselytism.

It's not just the last page and the afterword. I saw the story clearly heading in that direction when the change in version 2 of the Bible that Minna chooses to stress is the bit about Jesus being the only way to salvation.

Minna, from what we have seen, should be smart enough to know better. People don't like to get pushed.

Some humans, however, like to see other people get pushed. That afterword was clearly not intended to appeal to the portion of her audience who are being insulted and/or injured by it. It's intended to appeal to those who want those "others" to be repelled.

Whether that's a conscious decision on Minna's part, or whether it's an unconscious defensive maneuver, or whether it's been fed to her by people trying to isolate her from other opinions, I don't know.

Oof.. I can see you mean well but I think people cut her too much slack for not being American. Race and other minority issues exist everywhere in the world. There are plenty of different ethnicities in Finland, some of them with a long history of being there, others shorter, but they visibly exist (I've visited there and I saw). Besides, the internet is an invaluable teaching tool for all of us regardless of our upbringing, if we choose to use it.

Thanks for the perspective. And very good points.

Anyways, ignorance is bred from not being exposed the oppressed and their struggles.

Unfortunately, not always true. Slaveholders, for instance, must have been very much exposed to those they were oppressing and their struggles. Many of them managed nevertheless to remain ignorant of the humanity of those they were oppressing.

And in almost all cases, when women are oppressed, there are women living intimately with the oppressors.

Minna have a long career in media by now, so I think she knows how things work.
What if she made her afterword intendebly offensive (though it's still just a bit rude for me, but that's just a difference in our standards of offensiveness, I guess) to make people pay attention to her message? To make them talk about it, think about it, start a discussion?

That really doesn't work. What it's made nearly everyone do is divert from any discussion of the credit system to instead discuss the offensiveness, or claims of the lack of it.

If I'd known from the beginning what, "Lovely People," was going to be about, I wouldn't have read it. Not even out of curiosity. But there was no warning, no label about what I was about to read. She'd turned off comments so I couldn't even get a glimpse from other readers.

[ . . . ] I innocently walked into a comic and relived so much past trauma I swear I feel it physically. I heard the countless voices in my past screaming scripture and repentance at me. It's so deeply unsettling that in a space where I felt comfortable and accepted that I would be violated so thoroughly by radical religious doctrine. It has been beaten into me time and time again to the point where stewing too long in it wears down my mental health. Here, once again, I had to face it. With no warning.

And she's been told of this reaction, repeatedly, in the Discus discussion that she states she's been reading. And the comic's still being promoted on later pages, still with no warning, no label, no comments to allow other readers to post a heads-up.

Either she's lying about having read the Discus comments, or this is entirely deliberate.

sacredgrove, you are most definitely not the one who is in the wrong here. Welcome, and may this place continue to provide shelter.

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #266 on: March 25, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
That really doesn't work. What it's made nearly everyone do is divert from any discussion of the credit system to instead discuss the offensiveness, or claims of the lack of it.
But you're here. Discussing. Not the credit system, but cannons of this kind are never too precise. We're all here discussing what's exactly offensive about this comic, which is connected to a religion. And once are butts cease to burn, somene might even start a dicsussion about credit system.

CherryShrimp

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2021, 05:24:12 PM »
I'm a long time fan of Minna's work and like many, I am disgusted at this situation.  This is my first time posting on any fan forum, but I feel I have a perspective which would be cathartic to many.  If someone else has already touched on this subject, please forgive me.  I've read all the posts over the past few days, but I'm feeling pretty sick, so things are a bit blurred. 

There's been a lot of discussion of personal experiences, religious views,  Minna's true intentions, etc.  From what I've read, I think most of us would be happy and respectful that Minna had found a faith that was bringing her meaning and that she was exploring it through her writing -- except that she blindsided people with what feels like a personal attack on their beliefs. And I've re-read that bunny comic enough times to feel confident that the text provides evidence that this was meant to shock. 

As someone with an MFA in Fine Art who is looking to make a career switch to the animation industry, I can tell you that blind-siding the people who have been financially supporting your career/ability to make your own art would be seen as deeply unprofessional.  I've attended CTNX and LightBox for the chance to learn directly from the pros in the animation industry.  And one of the first lessons from the pros is what constitutes as professional conduct -- they do not hire new recruits who cannot meet this requirement. 

I hope that Minna earns a second chance after things cool down (key word earns).  But I'm seeing enough people who have been deeply hurt by the handling of this incident that I wanted to let you guys know how this looks through a professional lens.  This isn't an issue of freedom of expression, religion or censuring.  This is a breach of professional behavior. 

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »
But you're here. Discussing. Not the credit system, but cannons of this kind are never too precise. We're all here discussing what's exactly offensive about this comic, which is connected to a religion. And once are butts cease to burn, somene might even start a dicsussion about credit system.

I at least am no longer interested in anything Minna has to say about a social credit system. I might be interested in what someone else has to say about it, sure; but it's clear to me that anything she has to say is going to be seen through a distorted lens, so I'm going to discount it.

ETA: even if what she was trying to do was to get people to pay attention to social credit systems, it's not true that whacking them upside the head with a board is a reasonable way to go about it. It's not only that they're far more likely to focus on the board than on whatever else you were trying to say. It's also that you've got no business whacking people with boards.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:43:13 PM by thorny »

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2021, 05:49:40 PM »
Irresponsible, irrational, rudey way - but an effective one.
Hey, I just don't like to think, that my favorite author just went coo-coo for no reason.