Author Topic: Forum Advent Calendar 2021  (Read 10006 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Forum Advent Calendar 2021
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2021, 04:23:33 PM »
 :squirrelcookie: O:-)
I'm coming up on my 7 year Forumversary, which was within days of my first binge-read of the comic. I was on Disqus then too (already part of the Namesake fandom). Squirrel cookies were distributed in the Forum when someone reached a milestone. The Mead Moose was invented, but Frances' Urgent Socks hadn't been knit yet and the Moose hadn't migrated to individual greetings, so
(cue weepy violin) While I have helped guide the Moose on occasion, I have never received my very own welcome pack.

But enough about me, I agree that Sleipnope and the ghosts work well in this format. I am having a great giggle over grey's crossovers.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:29:09 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
:squirrelcookie: O:-)
I'm coming up on my 7 year Forumversary, which was within days of my first binge-read of the comic. I was on Disqus then too (already part of the Namesake fandom). Squirrel cookies were distributed in the Forum when someone reached a milestone. The Mead Moose was invented, but Frances' Urgent Socks hadn't been knit yet and the Moose hadn't migrated to individual greetings, so
(cue weepy violin) While I have helped guide the Moose on occasion, I have never received my very own welcome pack.
Oh my dear Wave! Congratulations for the upcoming Forumversary (hey, I learned a new word!). May we enjoy your company for many more years.

And now I must tell you a truth that should be told often:
Spoiler: show
You are...  :sparkle: FANTASTIC!  :sparkle:

And there's more:

Welcome Wave! Here is your non-standard pack of supplies:
Mead (or your beverage of choice, alcoholic or not, but no rum*), a triple pack of Urgent Socks (special edition, with Christmas motives), A large box of Squirrel Cookies** signed by our chef, EZ VIP Pass to the Pillow/Blanket Fort, that 3XL sized box of (virtual) tissues for all your angsty needs and a special Mod Hat!

Feel invited to join remain with us at the Fan Forum (link on the left column forever) where you will find many fascinating things, SSSS related or not, including discussions, art, memes, fanfics... as well as the oportunity to organize events, use your mod powers and share with us your wisdom and art! :)

Enjoy your stay! You can never leave.
No need to strikethrough the never leave part on your case, you know better. ;)

* Sorry, but the rum is always over…
** Squirrel Cookies may contain nuts and/or Dark Matter. Mind the crunchy bits.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2021, 09:39:44 PM »
Grey, Pirate Sigrun is spectacular! I would absolutely join her crew.

Wave, I'll add my batch of squirrel cookies to your anniversary welcome mix!  :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

And here's some for Tehta:  :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie: :squirrelcookie:

I definitely remember the welcoming on disqus, it was a really lovely thing when it was happening, and I think it was one of the things that really established this fandom as a friendly and welcoming place. I remember when I first started writing comments-section poetry everybody was really lovely and it really encouraged me to keep going. Starting to write poetry again was both very fun and also, later on, would give me some way of expressing myself and processing my emotions and memories when I was going through some pretty bad patches, mental-health-wise, back in 2020 and the early half of 2021. Also, writing poems is fun!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2021, 07:44:18 AM »
Thank you for all the welcome gifts! I am speechless!
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2021, 09:41:18 AM »
Grey, Pirate Sigrun is spectacular! I would absolutely join her crew!
Hum... but you already did! Maybe you didn't notice...
Please go back there and check. ;)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »
Hello everybody! I hope it's been a great entrance in 2022, and may this year bring lots of health and love to each one of you and your families!  <3

And to start the year here goes another one, where I tried a different style!  ;D I hope you enjoy it!

Lalli (AKA Neo) and Emil (AKA Trinity), the unstoppable duo from "The Matrix: Trolled"

(Cue image)

Black screen. Ominous music
Groups of fluorescent green symbols start to fall vertically.
Their number increase fast, and soon we get to see the Matrix well-known "digital rain"
The symbols begin to slow down until they stop, still filling the whole screen
The music stops
Some symbols start to fragment and disappear, while other mutate into bigger forms.
The bigger symbols begin to move in all directions, eating the smaller ones
After a few seconds all the normal symbols are gone, and the mutated ones converge to the center of the screen
They merge, creating a bigger, more complex symbol, bearing a strange resemblance with an organic cell, with filaments spreading around it
The thing starts to get closer, and something that looks like an Y shows in the middle
It comes even closer, and the Y opens like some Dune's giant desert worm-style maw.
The camera is "swallowed" by that mouth, and we're back to the black screen.
Some symbols become visible, forming a horizontal line
They mutate into letters, forming the movie title

THE MATRIX : TROLLED

(image stops)

(cue voice in a bad English)

Welcome everybody! I'm Grey, and we are here to talk about that amazing movie. Yes, it's going to hit theaters and streaming in two weeks, and the hype around it is behaving just like those symbols: from small things to an amazing, all-eating monster!

What do we know? So far, very little! This time they - finally - did a trailer that doesn't tell you the whole story, which is great!

(cue images from the trailer with a link button)

If you didn't watch it just go there, now! Click on the link on the screen, and don't forget to subscribe our channel!

Production and actors had been quite silent about this, so we really have have to rely on the trailer and bits of gossip. Perfect for those that like surprises!

(cue images from the trailer)

We do know that something is going terribly bad inside the Matrix. Instead of the pretty normal world we seen before the trailer shows a post-apocalyptic land, with wasted cities where people try to escape horrible monsters that still keep an uncanny similarity with humans. There's even that detail of one of them using a necklace!

(cue close on monster with necklace)

(cue flyover covering the machines city)

A glimpse of the machines world shows us that they also have no clue about what's happening, as tower after tower of their human pods goes dark. There's also a hint that the humans are more important to the machines then we were told so far, because one of them says "we must act" while in the background we see entire sections of their city powering down, and Sentinels - those octopus-like, multiple-eyed frightening machines - falling to the ground.

(images switch to show a cabin on a rural area, with a city in the background. Several columns of smoke can be seen rising from the distant buildings)

We get to see the new faces of Mr. Thomas Anderson/Neo, brilliantly portrayed by Finnish actor Lalli Hotakainen, and Trinity, played by Swedish actor Emil Vaterstrom, trying to live a somewhat normal life in the middle of the disaster, and then being contacted by a man called Morpheus - and yes, you saw that good! That's Danish actor Mikkel Madsen! The guy we got used to see playing Doctor Mikkel Jones, with his hair shaved!

We've heard the producers also wanted him to shave his famous mutton chops, but the actor refused, saying he would turn his back to the job before doing it!

(image from action sequence where a bunch of monsters surround Neo and Trinity cabin, but are burned by a giant flying owl that later turns into a Matrix Agent, with the standard suit and dark glasses)

Them there's that insane scene when Agent Owl, Finnish actor Onni Hotakainen, saves them from several monsters - that they call trolls - and tells, with a disgusted face. "WE need you" and you can see he would rather kick a shelf with his bare toe than deal with these puny humans.

(cue more amazing images)

The trailer goes on with a few action sequences, intertwined with others that fell much more atmospheric and quiet. My preferred is when they go to see an oracle and Trinity says it must be some old and wise person, but the next sequence shows a young woman baking some squirrel-shaped cookies... And we all remember the oracle from the first Matrix was baking cookies, so this pretty lady with a hedgehog cut must be the new oracle, right?

Well, we will find out soon. Meanwhile do you know that those surnames aren't coincidence? Onni and the - supposed - oracle girl, Tuuri Hotakainen, are brothers in real life! And cousins of Lalli, that is said to have suggested them to the producers! You can scream nepotism as much as you want, but both seem to do a terrific job!

And we got to see action outside the Matrix, too.

(Image of a Matrix ship with those circles of electricity all around)

Here! Frezze image! Guys, I love this ship design, and here we see for half second no other than actress Sigrun Eide as the captain! Is she playing Niobe, or someone else?

And there's that terrific ending!

(cue image of Lalli and Emil falling from an amazingly high skyscraper, the windows passing by at high speed while they remain calm and kiss! We see the ground approaching and they are still kissing, their hair waving... And they stop, look at the camera and Lalli says "It's all because of you!")
Wow, that gave me the chills! To whom is Lalli speaking? Is there someone falling together, just behind them? Or they are breaking the fourth wall and speaking with us, the public?

We will have to wait to find out. Now, before we end, let's talk about that leaked after-credits scene! Personally I don't buy that it's a leak. To me they are already promoting the next movie.

(cue brief scene where Morpheus says to Neo and Trinity: "We must find Red!" before passing out, or dying, it's impossible to tell. The couple turns to Agent Owl, but he's becoming transparent, and we can see the green digital rain that's supposedly his code. Owl looks at his own hands and says: "I think we got a problem." The camera focus on Lalli's dark glasses where the reflection of Agent Owl show his code turning from green to red, just before the screen fades to black)

Now, what's that? I can tell you first hand that it's related with the next movie, one that my sources say will be called "Red Matrix", or something like that, and will revolve around this mysterious "Red", that other source says is the one who makes those famous red - and blue - pills that can shake you out of the Matrix.

Seriously, no one knows. But we get a chance to ask, because right next we're going to have an exclusive interview with... roll the drums... Lalli and Emil, in person, here at The Grey Area! You can send your questions to the address below, and I will do my best to ask as much as possible.

(cue image of the channel logo on Youtube)

But hey, don't ask if they love each other also in real life, because that's the first thing I will ask after all the rumours. And don't forget to subscribe!

Bye, and see you soon here, on The Grey Area, the best place for movie news!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 03:38:51 AM by thegreyarea »

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2022, 11:23:34 AM »
I just wanted to give an update about the branches. They are a little late this season. There are 1.5 flowers now.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2022, 01:05:30 PM »
grey, that was so topical as I spent New Year's having a Matrix marathon, concluding with that world-altering love story, matrix 4. No comment on how this applies to your protagonists...

moredhel, thanks for the update! I have been wondering...
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2022, 07:38:22 PM »
Hello friends! Here goes the last one of this series! I hope you enjoy it! (Thanks, Jitter, for inspiring this!)

Reynir, the Red Pilgrim, Wizard.
Few know about this wizard. While Saruman, Gandalf and Radagast stayed on the North, and the blue wizards went East, this one was last seen going South, searching for palm trees...

The Maia Arnason was an Ainu, created by Iluvatar, like all his fellow divine spirits, the Ainur, before Time itself, and present on that first attempt of Gregorian Chant, the Ainulindale, that ultimately shaped the World.
Like all Maiar he was in the backing vocals, following the lead of the biggest stars, the Valar, who got all the solos.
He sang quite well, it's said, albeit with an uncanny tendency to "step over" other's parts, which owned him a few unhappy glares, particularly from Melkor, the greatest (and first) prima-donna. Unconfirmed accounts even refer that it was just after one of these moments that Melkor decided to improvise his own music, jazz-style.
As we all know Jazz and Gregorian Chant don't mix well, which in turn caused unforeseen consequences as Iluvatar's celestial ears were already ringing, prompting the Creator to ponder if all that music and people were indeed a good idea...
The Celestial patience eventually ended and Melkor was cast away, and he bumped painfully against Arnason shoulder on his way out, throwing both on the starry ground. It's said that instead of getting angry Arnason tried to help the powerful Vala, and that made him even more furious. He kicked a passing star, that exploded as the first Nova, and that boiled out the last remain of Iluvatar patience. Harsh words followed, and that was, as we know, the beginning of many problems.
---
After some time (it's hard to tell if it were days or eons, because watches weren't invented yet) Arda, that we now call Earth, was created, and many Vala descended to continue their creative workshop there. A larger number of the Maiar followed to help them, and of course Arnason was one of those.
As part of Yavanna's Green Team he got to help with the creation of many animals and plants. According to Olorin (later known as Gandalf) it was Arnason, after a few cups of Aiwendil's (later known as Radagast) new drink, that created the first Platypus, that he named Perry.
Yavanna was called to "do something about it" but started to laugh uncontrollably at the view of the animal, and decided to let it "just like it was, so people on Arda would always scratch their heads in the Future."
It was time for Curumo (that would be called Saruman) to get angry. The guy was a perfectionist, and had trouble accepting it, but couldn't go against Yavanna's decision. That made him dislike Arnason, and he promised not to speak to, or about him, ever again.
---
Ages passed and many things happened, including the defeat of Melkor, meanwhile rebranded as Morgoth.
However the Valar grew concerned about the growing power of Morgoth's BFF, Sauron, in Middle-Earth. Manwe, big-shot Vala, summoned a council of his peers, and they decided to send a few Maia as emissaries help the Free Peoples. The Vala Aule chose Curumo,  Orome chose Alatar, and Manwe chose Olorin. Yavanna, tired of solving the problems caused by Aiwendil's beverage, wanted him to go to, and Alatar took Pallando, a friend, to go with him.
Curumo (later Saruman) chose a white vest, that he believed was the coolest thing in Middle-Earth, while Olorin (later Gandalf) chose a more practical grey, and Aiwendil (later Radagst) an even more practical brown. Alatar chose blue because he liked it. Pallando couldn't decide and after some long minutes (or weeks, because still no watches) gave up.  But Alatar wouldn't go without his special friend, and convinced him to go robed in blue too, which caused a great deal of gossip among the Ainur.
---
Soon their ship landed upon Middle-Earth's shore. It was, more or less, the year 1000 of the Third Age, and hats were in fashion, so they all added hats to their vests, with exception of Saruman (that, according to Gandalf, was already so swell-headed that no hat would fit him),and then they disembarked, in the form of old Men.
Each brought a large trunk with personal things (backpacks weren't invented yet) and there was an additional trunk with food to nourish their new physical bodies. However when Radagast opened that trunk they didn't found food, but a stowaway inside!
It was Arnason, now in the shape of a tall, lean middle-aged man, with an outstanding red hair, gathered in a long braid, and a matching red beard. His vest and hat were crimson, and his eyes a sparkling emerald-green.
Saruman was furious, and hungry, which gave him a bad temper, but Gandalf managed to find a chocolate* bar on his pocket and gave it to him, thus avoiding the first fight between those that humans and elves would call Istari, or Wizards, among many other names.
They formed a circle and Arnason stood in the middle, telling how he always wanted to see Middle-Earth, and that he didn't understood why they, being spiritual, immortal beings, had to carry food, so he waited and, when nobody was around, hid inside the trunk, just to find himself into a man-shaped body that was too big for the little space available inside. And so after eons an Ainu found out what a painful back really meant.
He always wanted to see those palm trees Yavanna created when she got bored of the usual ones, and perhaps find how the platypus lived.
The other wizards understood, and forgave him, with the exception of Saruman. He thought that Arnason should be sent back to Aman, the blessed land, at that moment, and there the Valar would decide if he should be punished. Outnumbered, Saruman smiled to Arnason and invited him to come with them, but his smile didn't last long, just until he tripped on Arnason's long braid and understood that white wasn't the best choice for trekking through Middle-Earth...
---
They walked for a while and soon were spotted by some elves, that sent for their leader, Thalond. The wizards sat with the hunters around a fire, admiring the animals and plants, and waited. When Thalond arrived she surprised his men by kneeling before the strangers.
"Don't you see, fools? Ah, I forget that you're born here, far from the blessed land, else you couldn't fail to recognize these old looking men as what they really are, spirits of light!" She smiled to Gandalf. "Am I right, noble Olorin?"
That was the beginning of a long conversation that last the whole night. There's no record of it, though, because it was really hard to find a place to recharge batteries on Middle-Earth. All we know is that after it the wizards had already the names we know so well, and Arnason had adopted the name Reynir.
---
The elves showed them the road, and before long they were on a crossroads. Saruman, Gandalf and Radagast would turn North, while Alatar and Pallando would keep going East.
"And you, Reynir?" Asked Gandalf, already smoking from a long pipe offered by Thalond.
"South. I shall go to warm places to find palm trees, and platypus. And after that I'll try to help people, just like you, and keep an eye on any activity that looks like Sauron's work. Farewell, friends. I think we will see each other again, but not for a long time."
And Reynir the Red turned South, and walked many many miles, and befriended people, and helped.
Did he find his platypus and palm trees? Probably, but that will be another story.

* Yes, chocolate was already invented. It's said the Iluvatar used chocolate to teach the Ainur how to create plants and use them to create new things. And of course no one questions the divine origin of chocolate!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:14:54 AM by thegreyarea »

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2022, 05:52:11 AM »
grey, I absolutely love this! Among other things, I am a sucker for Silm parodies. I particularly enjoyed the asides on Creation (of palm trees, chocolate, and the Platypus), and your method for getting Arnason to Middle-Earth was genius. As is sending him south.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2022, 07:28:18 AM »
Wonderful! I can’t help noticing that Curumo broke his promise to not talk to or about Arnason… I wonder if there were any consequences to this?

Also a minor point, one of the Valar is a Vala.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2022, 10:04:36 AM »
Thanks Tehta and Jitter!  ;D

Tehta, I'm quite glad to hit the mark so precisely, and without knowing! Are there many Silm parodies around? Can you suggest one or two?

Jitter, thanks for the correction. I checked the text and tried to find all the points were it happened.
As for Curumo broken promise... I'm not sure, but the guy wasn't the most trustworthy Ainu around, as Gandalf and Radagast would find during the War of The Ring.
I know he carried a grunge against Arnason/Reynir, and perhaps was just trying to show a (false) friendly face while waiting for an opportunity to stab him in the back... Maybe we find out in that next story (I have some ideas, but didn't have time to develop them yet)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2022, 02:26:51 AM »
I think this is a first - fandom treats all the way until Orthodox Christmas!  Thank you once again to grey for that series.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2022, 06:12:20 AM »
I think this is a first - fandom treats all the way until Orthodox Christmas!  Thank you once again to grey for that series.
It has been a pleasure! But let's thank Jitter too: She always finds ways to inspire me to make things!

And it may've been the first, but if it's up to me won't be the last.  ;D