Author Topic: Secret Santa 2021  (Read 2706 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Secret Santa 2021
« on: November 13, 2021, 01:11:49 AM »
:sparkle: Forum Secret Santa 2021 :sparkle:

Hi folks! Since it's coming round to the holiday season, it's time for the (almost) annual forum secret santa, a time-honoured anonymous gift exchange and guessing game! Previous examples can be found here and here.

:sparkle: How do I join?  :sparkle:

In order to join, make a post in this thread. You can include some of your interests in order to give your gifter a better idea of what to make you - this can include fandom related stuff like what pairings (both romantic and platonic) you enjoy, what your levels of angst-tolerance and fluff-tolerance are, if you have a strong preference for fanart or fanfic etc. and it can also include some of your other interests that might be relevant, like if you particularly enjoy knitting or hiking or baking things, or if you have a really strong interest in, say, geology (a random example).

Since in recent months we've been expanding the forum to talk about more non-SSSS media, you can also include any other stories/fandoms (eg. other webcomics, books, etc) you might want a gift themed around.

If there are any things you really don't want to receive as a gift, please include those as well.

Sign-ups close at midnight forum time on November 30th. I'll assign the gifters and giftees and PM you who you're making a gift for within the next day or two.

Make your gift! It can be fanart, fanfic, poetry, a narratively intriguing cake recipe - be creative! The only rule is that it has to be something you make, not buy. And keep it a secret!

PM me your gift by midnight forum time December 19th (that's the deadline!). On December 24, when all gifts are collected, I'll send you your gift via PM! Feel free to speculate on who made your gift in this thread! On December 31, or if everybody has made correct guesses before then, I'll release the list of who made what gift.

:sparkle: Important Information  :sparkle:

You need at least 10 posts to join - this is so we know that everybody who joins will actually follow up.

Please only sign up if you know you'll have the time to make a gift. If things are too crazy for you around this time of year and you don't think you can make a gift, there's no trouble in not signing up and just enjoying the Advent Calendar instead.

That said, if life stuff suddenly happens and you can't make your piece on time, please let me know via PM as soon as you can. This means that I'll be able to re-assign your gifter and giftee.

Most importantly of all, have fun!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Secret Santa 2021
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 07:15:15 AM »
Keep Looking, the Secret Santa sounds like fun. I will join up if there is room. I can do poetry, prose, essays (things like folklore, magic, gardening, wild food and foraging, recipes, folk traditions and survival and bushcraft are all things I have written about in our-world media as well as here). Can’t do art, alas!

My interests and things I would be happy to receive include poetry, music, art, stories, recipes and whatever else may come. I especially like night scenes, music, magic and folklore based things, but am always glad to be surprised! Let me know if you have someone for whom I can make something.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »
I also want to participate! I will write a story, or share some information about Finnish customs or folklore. Probably a story though. I am happy to take wishes as for subjects, characters or pairings, also outside of my usual Emilalli and Reynir/Onni (happy to do those too!). I can even try to do some AU setting. I would prefer to keep the Yuletide stuff lighthearted so not very angsty or scary, but unless the giftee specifically doesn’t want fluff, there likely will be some!

I would love to receive either a story or art, lighthearted and humorous and/or fluffy. I’m happy with any characters and any relationship whether friendship or romantic. Very romantic/fluffy Emilalli or Reynir/Onni art or story would be delightful, but I will love whatever you come up with!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 02:43:16 PM »
* LooNEY_DAC checks calendar

...Oops; I seem to have mistakenly thought I'd already signed up for this.

Well, I can give somebody a fic they'll probably guess is from me. Fortunately, my likes and dislikes giftwise are very simple, as I've mentioned before:

Dislikes: NSFW.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 03:13:17 AM »
I am up for this.
Likes for giving and receiving: art, cartooning, humour, nature (particularly cats, reptiles, mushrooms, cool bugs, agates & other semiprecious stones, weather), double entendres, character interactions, cultural practices

Not into: Christmas (I know I know!), nsfw (unless OTT comedy & camp as all get-out), "whump" or dark themes, religion, playlists

I may edit this as I think of more.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

catbirds

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 05:54:56 AM »
I'd also like to sign up! I'll probably draw something.

Likes: birds, low fantasy, ocean stuff, blue and green, anything cute, chocolate, JRPGs, SSSS adventure 1 stuff. But I love receiving almost anything :)

Dislikes: NSFW (I'd just rather not receive it), gore, but I'm fine with angst or more emotional things

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 10:59:13 PM »
Just a reminder that this event does exist, if anyone else wants to join! Signups close on the 30th.

And thank you to everyone who's signed up so far! I have to say, I was about to make a reminder post on the 21st, but then LooNEY_DAC signed up and that triggered a little bit of a chain. I'm really glad that we've got enough people to go ahead with the event!

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »
Alright folks, last call if you want to join the Secret Santa! Signups close on midnight forum time November 30th.

Ruler of Changi Airport

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 05:39:49 AM »
Signups are closed! Our participants are Róisín, Jitter, LooNEY_DAC, wavewright62 and catbirds - I'll assign you each a giftee shortly and you can get onto making your gift! Gifts are due midnight forum time December 19th.

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2021, 01:36:17 AM »
What's this?  This wasn't here a second ago.  It looks like a present... OH! This must be my Secret Santa present! Hey everybody, LOOK!  Look at my amazing present!

The View from Within

The rain poured down, reminding Emil of the day they'd found Kitty in the sodden pool in the sodden school. Neither Lalli nor the sheep clustering so insistently around them seemed to care, or even to notice, for that matter, but Emil decidedly minded getting soaked to the skin on what was supposed to be a pleasant hike to a nice view.

This is not to say that the view from their current vantage point was less than what Emil had expected in any way, but appreciating a lovely vista is always easier when you don't have water trickling down the back of your neck in that extremely unpleasant but inevitable way it always does when you're out in the rain without an umbrella.

Well, enough of that was far too much, Emil decided, and began scanning the slopes around him for any potential shelter. A long moment went by while he looked, but finally he spotted what might be the entrance to a cave a few rocks down. Not checking to see whether or not Lalli was following him, Emil picked his way across the slope until he reached the putative opening.

Caves are not generally known for the quality of light within them, especially when there's a rainstorm going on outside, but a red, warm, almost welcoming light was spilling out from the mouth of this cave. Emil shook off a weird feeling of deja vu and walked into the cave, wondering hopefully if he'd find a fire waiting for him.

Lalli was always quiet, but he'd noticed that when it was safe, you very nearly couldn't shut Emil up; certainly he'd expected Emil to let loose with a flood of maledictions exceeding the steady stream of rain coming down on them, but the Swede hadn't, for once. Lalli glanced around idly and saw why: Emil wasn't where Lalli had last seen him.

Fortunately, Emil hadn't wandered so far that Lalli couldn't track him; the trail of sheep ambling curiously along in Emil's wake also helped. It was weird how every time Lalli looked there seemed to be more of them.

All these sheep were starting to make Lalli just the least bit nervous, as their behavior reminded him rather strongly of the dusklings he and Emil had just barely escaped once he'd managed to get out of Emil's mind. Now, the sheep were herbivores, after all, but at least one of them had shown a decided taste for Emil's hair already, and that was enough to get Lalli suspicious. It was this suspicion that made Lalli try to shoo the sheep off once he had reached the mouth of the cave Emil had entered, but they paid him about as much heed as a flock of pigeons might. On second thought, even the pigeons would have paid Lalli more heed, since they could tell he was a cat and they feared cats. These sheep were just too dumb to be afraid of anything besides the stupid, weird dogs their masters used to herd them.

After a few futile attempts to shoo away the sheep, Lalli shrugged and went into the cave after Emil. He must be pretty deep inside; Lalli couldn't hear a word of Swedish babble--

Lalli almost ran into Emil, who had stopped dead and was standing as still and staying as silent as though they were next to a Giant. Bemused, Lalli turned to see what Emil was gawping at--and froze in astonished wonderment. Part of the cave must have been translucent or even open to the sky, because the entire chamber was practically glowing with illumination, and what magnificence did it illuminate! The incredible display of the ever-shifting light skittering across thousands upon thousands of crystalline structures of nearly every shape and color imaginable in the cavern before them kept both boys utterly silent in wonder--

--until the reverent silence was broken by a loud "BAAAAAAA", because of course the sheep had blithely followed them into the cave; it would seem that even these sheep had sense enough to come in out of the rain, if they were following someone. Emil and Lalli looked at each other, sighed, and turned back towards the sheep...

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2021, 06:21:12 AM »
I received a lovely homely scene with our boys studying, or at least trying to study, some notes from… where? Their trips? Perhaps the artist will give us more background after we have figured out who they are! I have a guess, but I’ll put it under spoiler so you can guess too! (I’m sure guesses are welcome from others than event participants too)

Dear artist, the cat pillows are delightful!

Spoiler: show
I think this sweet scene was painted by Catbirds

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2021, 01:37:01 PM »
What beautiful gifts! I think those sheep know what they're doing, art lovers one and all. And I absolutely love the picture. I have recently gotten into painting, and I am just staring at this in awe. As to what they are doing, are the flowers next to Lalli some sort of clue?
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2021, 02:30:08 PM »
Got mine; love it; have no idea who it's from; on mobile so can't post it yet.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2021, 02:07:09 AM »
Mine was lovely! I have no idea who made it, and can’t post it because links don’t work well for me. If Keep Looking could put it up for me I would be most grateful!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2021, 04:06:50 AM »
I am still at sea guessing who made mine, with such talented wordsmiths among you.  I keep switching whose voice I think it is.... I don't think it's Róisín's voice, though. (Watch, it'll be Róisín now)

Spoiler: show
I agree that this lovely painting is catbirds' work
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 04:10:43 AM by wavewright62 »