Author Topic: YoinkTober 2021  (Read 9126 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
YoinkTober 2021
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:13:28 AM »
Hey everyone!  It's nearly October, and that means....YoinkTober is upon us!  For those unfamiliar with the concept, this is our Forum's variant of the InkTober challenge, where you are challenged to produce a fanwork every day in October, generally following a series of prompts.  Classically, this is an art challenge, focused on expanding your technique, but we expand the brief to include our wordsmiths as well.  The daily work does not have to be large or elaborate, just an attempt to take a moment for development of that part of your brain.  The daily prompts leave you all heaps of interpretive latitude.

This year the fandom, our Forum and its denizens have been through significant change and upheaval.  The Forum itself has responded with a major re-organisation, including expanding our community to appreciate works from fandoms beyond those created by Minna Sundberg.  Our YoinkTober theme this year therefore focuses on:
Transformation and Change

Prompts:

1 - Magical (Girl) Transformation
2 - Change of Season
3 - Masks
4 - Destruction
5 - New Clothes
6 - Familiar
7 - Sigrun's Birthday
8 - Fire
9 - Just a Tweak
10 - Theme Music
11 - Both is Good
12 - In disguise
13 - Food
14 - Character Growth
15 - Family
16 - Unpredictable
17 - Marriage
18 - Rearranged
19 - The Moon
20 - One Door Opens, Another Closes
21 - Birth
22 - Death
23 - Right in Front of Your Nose
24 - Water
25 - Community
26 - Tried & True
27 - Glow-up
28 - Made to Order
29 - Judgement
30 - Cats
31 - Costume

Good luck to all!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: YoinkTober 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
Thank you Wave! I’m in, although I won’t make a 100% commitment to do every single day, but I definitely want to do more than I currently am. So a fun challenge is just what I need!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:56:11 AM »
Oooh I like those prompts! I´ll definitly participate again, though hold it like I did last year and not only draw SSSS-art, but also other things. I just like to have the variety. ^-^ But I´ll be sure to post the SSSS-ones
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 02:26:15 PM »
Mirasol, please post all of them! The idea is to transform and change, also our fandom :) SSSS won’t be here forever. Actually this is probably the last YoinkTober we are having unless we manage to create enough content that doesn’t depend on the comic continuing.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:17:29 PM »
Mirasol, please post all of them! The idea is to transform and change, also our fandom :) SSSS won’t be here forever. Actually this is probably the last YoinkTober we are having unless we manage to create enough content that doesn’t depend on the comic continuing.

Agreed - Mirasol (and everybody), as the top post says, all fandoms or non-fandom-aligned original works are valid for this challenge. 
(And as such, I ....don't see why this should be the last?  Shoot, check out the Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion fandoms sometime, for an example of a fandom that exists and generates new fanarts loooong after the work is finished and the creator *ahem* leaves the fandom.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 04:22:17 AM »
(And as such, I ....don't see why this should be the last?  Shoot, check out the Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion fandoms sometime, for an example of a fandom that exists and generates new fanarts loooong after the work is finished and the creator *ahem* leaves the fandom.)

Indeed! Hence “unless”. My point was that we must evolve to avoid dwindling down. And we will! Let this YoinkTober be one proof of many!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 12:02:34 AM »
As time and the exigencies of life permit I shall try to put in something.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 11:02:50 AM »
Wave, those prompts are excellent! Thank you so much! Also excellent choice on the theme! ;)

They are all so good that I'm having trouble choosing one (or two), but I'll think about it. Anyway I'll try to do small things for most days.

This is going to be fun!  <3
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 02:47:27 PM »
Soon. Soon! SOON!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »

Content warning: snakes

1.10.2021 Magical (girl) transformation

It had been almost a year and a half since Sointu's magic was discovered. A young man who introduced himself as a noita had been to Kaijatsaari a couple of times to meet her. He had left her some books, but Sointu didn't seem very interested in them. Every now and then Joni asked what she had learned, but she would roll her eyes and say that the books were a complete waste of time.

Last winter, when her vipers had gone to sleep (under the house, much to the dismay of some of the villagers, but hey, a noita was definitely a good thing to have, so they had to cut her some slack!) Sointu had been so bored that she had actually read through the books, and she had taken to singing songs of her own fashioning. Sometimes they sounded like something from the Kalevala, but sometimes there was so much hissing it sounded completely alien. In either case, while some only left her frustrated, some of the songs seemed to work. The fish catch was good, the cats had many live kittens, and the winter storms were severe, but they lost no one all year.

While Joni couldn’t' even begin to understand how it worked, he had some tiny insight on what was going on. Ever since that first encounter, he had felt that the adders… approved of him. He had never felt threatened by them, even when they got all agitated hissing (later it turned out this was very useful, because it meant something was nearby that needed being disposed of).

This feeling was not shared by everyone in the village. Most people tried to be friendly and polite, but it was clear they shuddered at sight of the vipers, and it didn't really feel very welcoming. Some actively shunned Sointu, and some even the entire family. No one had been in a hurry to move out of the island, though. Happy to accept the good fortune, of course!

September was ending, and the vipers were sluggish. Sointu, on the other hand, was overwrought. She worried about the snakes, but more about the long winter months without their company.
"Dad, why must they sleep all winter?"
"Well, see for yourself, they need the sleep. They are all groggy already."
"Yes, but why? They tell me it's because of coldness. But if they were in here with us, and we kept the fire going all the time, they wouldn't get too cold, would they?"
"Um, dear, I don't think that would work. Firstly, I don't think mom and your brothers would agree. But also, I'm sure the snakes…
"Vipers!"
"Yes, the vipers, they need their sleep. They are built that way."
"They tell me the same. "We cannot live in your housssssee. We will wake up in ssspring." But I don’t' want that! It's not fair!"

By the first of October, all of the vipers were under the house. Sointu was sulking on her bed, facing the wall.
"Come on honey, you must get up! We can't lie around all day!" Joni was cheering her daughter along. But she didn't answer, beyond a quiet hissing sound.
"Come on lazypants. Your chores don't wait for your friends to wake up!"
Joni grabbed Sointu's shoulder and shook her. The girl felt limp, and cold. Joni got worried. Finally, Sointu seemed to come around. "What isss it, dad? Let me ssssssleep… Wake me in the sssssspring…"

Now Joni was alarmed for his daughter and shook her vigorously. "Sointu! Are you all right? Don't tell me you are going to hibernate?"
"Whyyyy not… sssspring is better… ssssstay warm…"

Sointu opened her eyes. Just for a second, Joni was staring at vertical slits, where he daughter's eyes should be. A hissing sound was coming from her mouth. Joni yelped and let go of her, even though he was still strangely more surprised than actually horrified. "Sointu!"

"Aww dad! Winter is boring! And I hate chores!" Sointu sat up, yawning, and glared at her dad with her perfectly normal blue eyes.

Here’s the first one on them, Playtime: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1130.75

And here’s a photo with some vipers (not by me!) taken in 2017 near Tampere. Don’t click if you don’t want to see snakes

https://www.aamulehti.fi/kotimaa/art-2000007410696.html

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 12:38:10 PM by Jitter »

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 11:37:26 AM »
Ooh, I really like it! I've wondered about that particular mage before... I hope she figured out some way to cope with the winter in her much later job posting.

And she's definitely a magical girl, who has a transformation, on October first of all days! You really nailed it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:55:11 AM by tehta »
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »
1.10.2021 Magical (girl) transformation

I think I'll be posting a lot of drabbles.  This time I accidentally wrote two. The second one might be the silliest thing I have ever written.

DRABBLE #1 (Based on a moment in Adventure One)

Spoiler: show
Luna used to love running, alone or with humans. Now it feels wrong. Everything hurts when she runs: her skin, her back, the new limbs that make her faster. But her hunger drives her on, makes her run after the human. Hunting, not playing. That, too, feels wrong.

When the light hits her, her pain deepens. Sunlight is wrong, too -- there are so many wrongs -- and now, somehow, they come out right. Luna’s mind clears, just moments before her teeth sink into her prey.

She turns her head. Her teeth bite air.

“Good girl,” she remembers a beloved voice saying.

DRABBLE #2 (Sorry.  He's magical and it's a transformation, OK? Might be continued later.)

Spoiler: show
 sputters at the sight before him: Reynir, a vision in blue-green. “Is that… a dress you’re wearing?”

“Yes!” Reynir’s skirts fan out as he spins. “Do you like it?

“Hmh. Is this an Icelandic custom? For men to wear dresses to weddings?”

Reynir laughs. “No! But one of Guðrún’s bridesmaids is stuck in quarantine, and it’d be a shame to waste the dress. The embroidery alone took months! So I offered to try it!” He runs a hand down his side, sighing. "Pity I don't have the hips for it. But, wait! You might! And you’re the right height!"

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 05:13:40 AM by tehta »
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »
Oh no tehta, sad spiderdog is sad  :'( :emil:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
Ooh, I really like it! I've wondered about that particular mage before... I hope she figured out some way to cope with the winter in her much later job posting.

And she's definitely a magical girl, who has a transformation, on October first of all days! You really nailed it.

Luckily also the grosslings are greatly hindered by winter!

The first of October was a lucky coincidence. I had this idea for a few days now, and today when I was writing, I checked when do the vipers actually start hibernation. A traditional wisdom has it they go September 21st, so late Sep till 1st Oct worked well. I almost missed it and had it down to late September first:)

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
Oh no tehta, sad spiderdog is sad  :'( :emil:

It was sad! But her soul is at peace now.