Author Topic: Chapter Break Challenge - War / Peace  (Read 3785 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Chapter Break Challenge - War / Peace
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2021, 11:11:34 AM »
Excellent story, Wave! Hopefully the letter carries good news! Also the idea for this... recyclable sculpture is hilarious!

Queen Yoko, I'm looking forward to see it. I love the idea of Ensi in her youth (and the stories that her magical powers could inspire).
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »
Wave, why is he using cow dung? Is this a thing?

Queen Yoko, please do! Sounds like something that’s worth waiting for!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2021, 05:37:17 PM »
Cow manure, because it's plentiful on a dairy farm.  It's something to do.  Digging clay is hard.  It's a metaphor.  Take your pick?

Looking forward to it, Queen Yoko - Saku's looks are also strongly echoed in Ensi's twin sons, Jukka & Juha.  We got a short but reasonably good look at them during Lalli's shared dream flashback.

Edit:  Well, who knew?  I Googled references to a thriving ceramics scene in present-day Bornholm, based upon the various types of clay naturally found there.  Buuuut, I maintain that digging it is hard.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 05:43:43 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 05:38:42 AM »
Good story! And at least Mikkel didn’t take up bellfounding as a comfort/hobby. About thirty years ago a friend scored a Churchill fellowship to study that, managed to get herself a place with a famous and very old traditional English bellfounder, then arrived in England to discover that the old chap had died while she was in transit. She was left frantically scrambling to find another teacher, and eventually located a similarly old and famous bellfounder in the backblocks of Poland who was willing to take on an apprentice who was not only Australian but female. She learned a lot of amazing stuff, including how to cast a bell in an old-style mould made of sand and pulverised cowdung. This worked surprisingly well, and she was later able to adapt the technique to the making of Tibetan and North Indian style singing bowls, some of which are cast by similar methods.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 02:04:24 PM »
Oooh this is going on already? Very nice contributions, everyone!

Grey, nice Haikus! May there be peace and please no Killing Time!

Wave, I enjoy both of your stories a lot! They´re a nice blend between so in character that it´s funny and being sad stories! I don´t like the implications about some characters´ lives (meaning their deaths...) in either story, but now I´m stuck imagining what happened...

Jitter, I love your songs! (I totally didn´t start singing Bohemian Rhapsody at Onni being humble... :'D) I even tried pronouncing the Finnish version while reading with mediocre success. I like what you did with the verse that´s repeated in the end! The lines rhyme among each other yet were interwoven with previous verses. Very nice connection!

moredhel, a beautiful painting! It looks so lush and bright, and very peaceful!

Róisín, that sounds like a very interesting hobby though! Thanks for sharing that story!

Maybe I´ll contribute something if I get struck by creativity...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »
Thanks Moredel! I guess I should record of these to give you an idea of the rhythm. Maybe someday.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Queen Yoko

• My screen name is an obscure anime reference.
  • Preferred pronouns: She, Her, Your Illustrious Majesty
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »
I'm looking forward to see it. I love the idea of Ensi in her youth (and the stories that her magical powers could inspire).

Thanks thegrayarea and Jitter. The sketch is coming along nicely. I’ve got the poses worked out. I’m working of the faces now.   I was trying to copy Minna’s style but I just can’t seem to do it. I’m going to go for something that’s halfway Minna’s style and halfway mine.  Also I just realized that I have no idea how to post jpegs on this forum.

I was going to post a picture of my work in progress but, yeah I have no idea how to do that from my phone.
😓

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »
Queen Yoko, you can't post directly here. The picture must go to a picture hosting site, and the forum actually only links to it. I and some others use Postimg but you can choose something else too. It must allow you getting the url for the image itself (not the page that shows the picture), and Postimg is convenient because it has "share" button that provides various ways to share, including direct link to the image. On Flickr for example you have to go into the page code to find the image address.

Anyways when you have the image url, you click the Insert Image button (underneath Bold button) and post the link between the brackets.

Queen Yoko

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2021, 01:33:30 PM »
Thank you so much Jitter!

Here’s what I’ve done so far. I’m practicing drawing every ones faces on a separate page in my sketchbook.  But this is what I have so far. I’m really happy with how it’s turning out so far.
https://pin.it/4kCn68h

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 04:37:33 PM »
The poses look very natural! It’s going to be great!

Queen Yoko

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2021, 07:08:09 PM »
My sketch is looking great so far. I’m just finishing up some details with Aino’s face. I’m having fun putting in a background too.  <3

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2021, 08:55:04 PM »
I'm looking forward to it as well, Queen Yoko.  Only Pinterest members can see items on Pinterest (I do not have an account nor wish to sign up).   
We do have a thread outlining instructions on inserting images (so they display inside your message). I like to use tumblr or imgur, but I've also seen flickr, Google docs (have to work out your permissions, I think), and others. 

(Note to self, compile a list of acceptable websites and add it to the inseting images thread, as I guess the suggestions are scattered within other threads.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Queen Yoko

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2021, 05:26:01 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out Wavewrite62. Here’s a google dock with my initial sketch. Tell me if you can see it now. https://docs.google.com/document/d/16oRy2UnNNGvxQDXFQW54_OUHHlPVwV8luPtrWM-Wdx8/edit

A more finalized sketch is on its way.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2021, 05:33:56 AM »
I can not see it. Maybe the publish to the web option does help.

Queen Yoko

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2021, 05:46:30 AM »
I think I’ll have to make an account on tumbler. 😓