Author Topic: Chapter Break Challenge - War / Peace  (Read 3783 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Chapter Break Challenge - War / Peace
« on: August 06, 2021, 05:27:50 AM »
Hello everyone! :)
Again we've been surprised by the sudden arrival of a chapter break! We didn't plan anything, and now have to face two (at least) long weeks.

But we faced that challenge before, and survived, even thrived! How? By the sheer will and talent of the amazing people that populate this space!

So, just like in the previous Break, here goes a challenge! Participate, if you want! The theme will be...

War / Peace

Since this chapter has been a long fight, some might feel inspired to create War (or fight) related artwork. Others might feel tired of the constant struggle and rather let Peace inspire their creations.

Or you may want to contribute with something completely different! Up to you, if you decide to join!

As per usual, anyone is free, no, extremely welcome to participate. The work can be anything that can be relayed via Forum. We have had visual art, stories, photographs, photos of craft projects, music, poetry, recipes, cosplay, multimedia, botany lessons...
You can try to get out of your comfort zone, or stick to your most comfortable form and style.

Just post your work here when it’s done. Let’s hope we get a nice number of works, despite the lack of warning.
Now I have to go work on my contribution... ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:13:12 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Chapter Break Challenge - War / Peace
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 05:10:26 PM »
*thinking*  Yep, I can see ideas brewing, but cannot work on any until tomorrow at the earliest.

Also coming up during this break is the canon birthday of Mikkel and Michael Madsen, on 11 August.  We could do worse than honing in our focus on one or both, related to the theme.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 06:32:53 AM »
I guess it's up to me to start. A modest haiku, because... time.

Killing time before
The dreaded Killing Time comes
Is my fate written?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 10:47:47 AM »
My fate was written
Or maybe it was just luck
Will I find peace now?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 05:28:32 AM »
Welp, here goes, a bit of a triple drabble for Peace, albeit the Peace that follows War.

Emil stared at the plate of spaghetti in front of him.  When he was a young man, he dreamt of tucking in to a big plate of noodles and meatballs, just like this one.  When he was young, this was one of his favourite meals (because even then, he knew perfectly well cake wasn’t really a meal).  Now it reminded him of …he looked away.

This house held so many memories, coming to visit Aunt Siv and Uncle Torbjörn and his little monster cousins in Mora back then.  He could still hear them clamouring to play hairdresser with him.  When he was young, he tried to show little Sune, whose hair was most like his own, how to get his hair perfect too.

So long ago, so much had happened, just so much.  It was a wonder he had any hair left.  He cast a morose gaze upon Sune, who was cheerfully helping his mother bring in the dinner.  Sune had grown, as children do.  Håkan, too, who had easily polished off his own plate and was now eyeing up Emil’s untouched portion; Emil pushed it toward him with a finger.

Emil wondered when he had gotten so introspective.  Cheating certain death when he was young would have done that, he decided.  And when he was young, he had cheated death so many times, even when others di…were directed elsewhere.

Siv came back to the dining room with a pitcher of buttermilk, and frowned at Håkan wolfing down Emil’s dinner.  Emil held up his hand to forestall her admonishment.  “No, it’s all right.  My appetite has never recovered to what it was, before,” sighing dramatically, “I was young then, but a lifetime of privation has left its scar upon me.”

Siv’s smile was lopsided.  “A lifetime, Emil?  That was last year.

Spoiler: wth wave • show
Inspired by a flippant comment I made on Discord about the worst cryptic fast-forward ending to SSSS Minna could possibly make - Emil arriving back at Mora, alone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:33:27 AM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 07:37:33 AM »
Oh no Wave! This Peace doesn’t make me feel peaceful at all!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 12:59:59 PM »
Haven’t done one of these for such a long time! This is a song Onni sings to ask for deities and local spirits to help him. The Finnish is some semblance of the Kalevala meter (a type of trochaic tetrameter, in which everything is repeated in different words, and alliteration is common), but I do it by ear and counting of syllables, so it’s not 100% pure (although neither is the Kalevala). The English is just translation, not even aspiring to being poetry.

Keihästä kysymässä ……..  Song of the spear

Taian tästä taisteloihin……………….I intend to start a fight
Käynen tästä kamppailuihin…………I am walking into war
Isoäitini iloksi………………………….To make my grandmother happy
Sukukuntani suojaksi…………………To protect my kin

Paha on perheeni purrut……………Evil has eaten my family
Koko kansani kateissa……………….Kade has taken my people (all my people are lost)
Apu minun annettava………………..It is up to me to help them
Poloset pelastettava…………………Their poor souls are mine to save

Siksi pyyän parastanne……………..This is why I ask for your best
Toivon teiltäkin tukea……………….Seek support from you
Annattehan apuanne………………..Hoping that you will help me
Vahvistatte voimiani…………………Sure you will support my strength

Ihmeellinen Ilmarinen……………….O wondrous Ilmarinen
Suurin kaikista sepistä……………….Greatest smith of all
Tao terä tulestasi……………………..Forge a blade of your fire
Ahjosta ylin astalo…………………….Form a weapon in your forge

Ukko taatto taivahainen……………..O Ukko father in the sky
Ylin olija ylisen………………………..Highest in the highest plane
Kaa-a keihäs kumustasi………..……Pour a spear of your thunder
Seiväs salamoistasi…………………Join your lightning into a javelin

Kuule Kokko kultalintu……………….Hear me Kokko golden bird
Vaskinokka vaakalintu………………Brazen beaked brazen bird
Voimat varren vahvistele…………….Loan your strength to spear’s shaft
Keihäänkärki koristele………………..Make my blade beautiful

Huuan teille hienot henget……….…I call you o fine spirits
Anon outoiset oliot……………….…I beseech you curious creatures
Mustarinnan murhat miehet…….…Great men of Mustarinta
Kolin kulkijat komeat……………….Handsome people of Koli

Kohottakaa keihästäni……………..Raise my spear
Iskekäätte iskussani………………..Strike in my strike
Lyötävä on luonnottomat………….I must undo the unnatural
Pieksettävä pahat henget………….Succeed over evil spirits

Kateen kätköön kadonneitten…….Those lost within the Kade
Pahojen piilottamien……………….Those hidden by evil
Joutsenelle jouvuttava……………..Should make haste to meet the Swan
Kuolon kehtoon kiikuttava…………Should sleep in death’s cradle

Linnunrata raivattava……………….Birds’ Path must be opened
Tuonen polku tunnettava………….Path to Tuoni mut be known
Kateen käskyt kumottava………….Orders of Kade undone
Vangitut vapautettava……………..Prisoners (must be) released

Minä poika pannahinen……………I am just a poor boy
Kulkijainen köyhänlainen………….Wandered with no wealth
Ei minusta mestariksi……………….I’m not fit to be a master
Kauhistuksen kaatajaksi……………I’m not fit to beat this beast

Siksi pyyän parastanne……………..This is why I ask for your best
Toivon teiltäkin tukea……………….Seek support from you
Annattehan apuanne………………..Hoping that you will help me
Vahvistatte voimiani…………………Sure you will support my strength

Tao terä tulestasi
Kaa-a keihäs kumustasi
Voimat varren vahvistele
Keihäänkärki koristele

Tao terä tulestasi
Kaa-a keihäs kumustasi
Voimat varren vahvistele
Keihäänkärki koristele

Tao terä tulestasi
Kaa-a keihäs kumustasi
Voimat varren vahvistele
Keihäänkärki koristele

(Repeat until spirit spear is strong)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 03:00:27 PM »
Wow, two great contributions!

Wave, yours is terrifying! Even if it has a comic touch, so very Emil! Not, at all, the kind of peace we hope for.

Jitter, yours is amazing! I wish I knew Finnish to proper appreciate it, but the translation does a good work anyway. I hope Onni does something like that, and may the spirits guide his spear! (because he should throw it with eyes closed :)  )

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 07:22:53 PM »
I tried to do a haiku too, but I am more a painter than a poet.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 07:31:54 PM »
That's beautiful, moredhel! I love the hair, shadows... everything! Well done!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 02:58:58 AM »
Thank you so much for kicking off this party, thegreyarea!  Your fate is well-written in this instance.

oooOOO a wistful portrait of Reynir in the lehto!  Lovely, moredhel!

Gosh, I hope Onni evokes a runo nearly as nice as yours, Jitter.  And by 'nice' I mean thoroughly deadly to the evil magicks wrought here.
('I'm just a poor boy' nobody loves me... no no that's not right!  Bismillah...)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 03:23:27 AM »
Wave, from a poor family too! I noticed that but it is the translation so I had to leave it in :)

The point is to show humbleness to the deities and spirits. It is my understanding that in the Finnish tradition the singer is very proud and haughty towards the opponent, but when speaking to the spirits it’s more of the “poor little me I so need help” kind of rhing. Also it’s important that he stresses he’s not asking for himself really, but needs help in helping his kin.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:26:58 AM by Jitter »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 03:25:30 AM »
Moredhel, sweet boy Reynir in his after-sauna-peace (and after sauna hair)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2021, 04:09:44 AM »
Well, I thought I was going to maybe do a picture for Mikkel's b-day, but this popped out instead. A bit of angst, though.

:mikkel: :mikkel: The Thinker  :mikkel: :mikkel:

Mikkel grimaced as he laid the fresh cowpat onto one side of the pile.  He gave it a rough shaping with the shovel, before adding a sprinkling of dust and small pieces of straw from the bottom of his wheelbarrow.  With the hand trowel, he smoothed the edges of the pat to blend with the contour he was creating.  Then he poked the trowel into the holes he was slowly enlarging through the more dry parts of the pile.

Stepping back to scrutinise his work, he adjusted the crude headband he was using to keep the sun and sweat out of his eyes.  Taking advantage of the still-lengthening days, the lump of straw and cow manure was drying reasonably quickly.  He could expect to have the emerging sculpture largely roughed-out within the next few weeks.  Whether he'd have time to refine it was still unclear.

------ :mikkel:

"Hey, that's coming along!"

Mikkel looked up with a start, but relaxed as he saw his sister Mette approaching, smiling under her broad-brimmed hat as she made her way across the paddock.  "Hrm, I suppose so.  We'll see," he swatted at the flies gathering on glistening surface of the more freshly applied areas of the sculpture.  A small chunk fell from the surface Mikkel had been smoothing as the trowel grazed it.  "Perhaps I shall feed the girls some stones, to ensure a firmer material?"

"I wouldn't," Mette laughed, "actually, please don't.  I don't want to blunt my arrowheads."  She gestured across the paddock to another misshapen pile of manure and straw, surrounded by broken chunks.

Mikkel sighed, "I never got to finish that one, and now I never will.  You know, you could set up a different target for archery practice, you don't have to use my sculptures.  It's not as though we have a shortage of hay bales for you to shoot at."

"This is more of a challenge.  You  may have difficulty hitting something the size of a hay bale, dear brother, but the rest of us don't have that problem."  Seeing Mikkel wince, she cooed, "Sorry, but it's true.  Anyway.  What is this one going to be?  One I've heard of?"

"Not likely, knowing your penchant for scholarship."

Mette dramatically clutched her chest as though mortally wounded.  "What?  After I looked up who Henrik Moore was and everything?  That was your best one, even if it didn't look anything like a woman.  I shot a rabbit right through that hole in her head."

"Henry Moore.  Your heart's on the other side, Mette," Mikkel chuckled.  She hurriedly switched her hand.  "And, this one is going to be Rodin's 'The Thinker' - at least, assuming I get to finish it.  Hopefully, I won't."

Mette shrugged.  "Nope, never heard of it.  I thought it was another one of those Henry ones."  She cocked her head to the side.  “Or maybe a troll.”

"I haven't put in any sort of detail yet.  There's only so much I can do with..."  His hands fell to his sides as he frowned at Mette.  "Still no messages for me?”

Mette shook her head.  “Maybe after Midsummer, yeah?” 

Mikkel did not reply.  He crossed his arms and stared intently at the sculpture in progress.

-----  :mikkel:

Mille marched through the paddock, lifting her leg high with each step through the high grass, not bothering to follow the wheelbarrow track ahead of her.  “Mikkel!,” she called, “Hoy, Mikkel!”  Her brother was facing away from her and did not acknowledge her call.  Mille swung her basket savagely in front of her as she advanced, scything the grass and raising clouds of gnats and flies to impede her progress.

Mette followed serenely behind Mille, walking in the wheelbarrow rut.  “It doesn’t do any good, Mille, he won’t even know you’re there until you’re right there in front of him.”

“I. Don’t. Care!”  Mille punctuated each word with a swipe of her basket.

“Then it’s just as well we haven’t gathered the berries yet, or they’d be fly fodder now.” 

They reached Mikkel, his broad back still turned away from them as he sat hunched on a tree stump.  Facing him was a large dusty grey figure nearly as large as he was.  Mille’s mouth dropped open as she realised both Mikkel and the figure were in roughly the same pose, hunched over with one elbow on his knee, supporting his head as he stared.  Mille tried to follow his gaze, but could see nothing but trampled grass and small blobs of the same grey material scattered on the ground.

“Hey, Mikkel,” Mette called out, “I found that book you had the statue in.  It kinda looks like your one.”  Mikkel grunted but did not look up.  “That’s a lot of cow pats right there.”

Mille wrinkled her nose.  “Listen Mikkel, we’re going down to get some berries, okay?  Do you want to come with us?”  Mikkel grunted again.  “For your birthday cake?,” Mille tried again, with no response.  The sisters exchanged a look. 

Mette walked over to the statue and bent over to look at its face.  “Good thing it’s been a dry summer.”  Peering more closely, “You know, it does kind of look like you.”  She picked up some yellowed stalks of grass and held them on either side of the figure’s head.  “There, sideburns like yours.  Now you’re tw-“  She gasped and dropped the grass suddenly.  “Oh, Mikkel!  Oh look, I’m sorry, that was thoughtless of me!”  She looked to Mille for support, but her sister was cringing, with a stricken expression.

Mikkel’s expression betrayed no emotion as he got up and brushed bits of grass off his pants.  “Did anything come for me in today’s post?,” he asked dispassionately. striding away from the statue.

Mette smacked her forehead.  “Yes!”  Mikkel turned sharply back toward her.  “Sorry, I forgot, yes, a letter did come in, Ole brought it right over.  It’s from Norway.  Was…that the one you were waiting for?” 

“We’ll see,” Mikkel said as he strode away toward the Madsen farmhouse.

“Crap, and double crap,” Mille said, watching him go.  “Right.  Mette, come on, let’s go get the berries, anyway.”  She put her arm around her stricken sister and led her away from the scene.  “It’s still Mikkel’s birthday.” 

The flies landed on The Thinker again as they walked away. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:12:10 AM by wavewright62 »

Queen Yoko

• My screen name is an obscure anime reference.
  • Preferred pronouns: She, Her, Your Illustrious Majesty
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »
I’m going to try doing a sketch of Saku, Aino and Ensi as a little girl. Might be some time before I post it. There’s really only one good picture of Saku’s face and that’s on the character family tree.