Author Topic: Emergency Chapter Break Challenge - Expected / Unexpected  (Read 5166 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Emergency Chapter Break Challenge - Expected / Unexpected
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 04:37:17 AM »

Not unexpected,
death and taxes come to all,
sometimes hand-in-hand.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »
Sometimes hand-in-hand;
and if sometimes hand-to-hand
still we're together.

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 10:44:20 AM »
Still we are together,
no matter what the weather,
a fish will never fly.

Spoiler: Some silly sketch (Ba-dum-tss) • show

Emil regains consciousness and finds himself shackled to a wall. Through the darkness, interrupted only by a few lightbeams from barred window, he notices Sigrun to his left and Lalli to his right. Shackled as well. He tried to call out to them, but he only managed to cough.
He tried to remember how they got here, but he got interrupted by voices coming from behind a barred door across the room. “Are you ready?” a loud and uneven voice. “...” some murmur answered. Red robes appeared behind the door. “Ah, I see. One has woken up”, said the uneven voice, a man with an enormously broad hat. Also red. ‘Should he have tried pretending to sleep?’ Emil asked himself. Anyway, they were coming in.

“Now young man! You are accused of heresy on three counts! Heresy by Thought, Heresy by Word, Heresy by Deed and Heresy by Action. Four counts. Do you confess?” ...

--

A few hours earlier, in the ruins of some abandoned building. The team looking for something or other.

Tuuri finds something: “Well, I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition in Finland.” Men in red jump in through the doors and broken windows. “Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Apprehend them!”
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 11:43:43 AM by Groupoid »
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
If fish never fly.
Then why are there flying fish?
Secrets from the deep.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2021, 05:53:01 PM »
Moment of repose
Fly fishing for flying fish
Pop! Alas, no fish.

(loving the haiku chain)

Spoiler: bwahahaha • show
Don't forget the Comfy Chair!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:14:36 PM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
The jetty now gone
The time to chat cut too short
At least there is cake
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »
Back to waking world
Painful boredom is the worst
Surprise visitor

Spoiler: Just in case I misunderstood • show
I apologize, if I got the reference wrong.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 04:45:00 AM »
Now I'm fat and short??!
My mortal enemy's here!?
This is a nightmare.
----
I've never been here.
Emil's here but he's a kid?
I understand him!
----
Oh, this memory.
Grandma, and me, and... what now?
You two? This is new.
----

Ja, no nature references, just the number of syllables is vaguely haiku-ish, forgive me.
Spoiler: show
Nope, muidole, you're perfect. There is no set structure going on here, we're all just riffing off each other.

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 05:36:09 AM »
Two week quarantine
Blink for a two week time skip
Let's look at the town

Hilja has a bag
Why did Ensi look at her?
Ensi's probs possessed

Time to reminisce
Cool old boat from the prologue
Ooh, cat scratching tree!

Spoiler: show
Ah ok, good to know. Thanks!  ;D

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2021, 08:49:46 AM »
I'm also loving the haiku chain!

And here's my (un?)expected contribution! :)

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
Grey! 😆 Are they fishing for the thing there was a specific warning sign against at the Lehto? Wasn’t there also a specific prohibition of fishing with explosives? Is someone going to be in trouble? (Besides the obvious trouble this most best plan will put them in)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2021, 09:41:49 AM »
We don't sweat the rules.
Taking Haiku 101.
Here at Haiku U.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2021, 10:27:34 AM »
Expecting

The Hotakainens were in the sauna. Emil was visibly excited about something. “C’mon Lalli, we can tell him! He’s practically part of our family too!” Lalli remained silent, looking parts quietly pleased and smug.

“Tell me what?!” Onni demanded. He didn’t mean to! But somehow everything came out tersely, especially when talking to Emil. Lalli merely shrugged at the other two men looking at him expectantly. With no answer forthcoming from his cousin, Onni turned to the Swede. “What is it?” a little less commanding now, good.

Emil glanced at Lalli, who shrugged again, “Suit yourself”.

“Ok, yeah” Emil gushed, “guess what, Onni! We are expecting!”

Onni was confused. Emil was clearly expecting a reaction, probably a happy one, but he hadn’t given any information yet! Surely his Finnish was better than this already? When no further hints besides excited hovering materialized, Onni had to ask. “Expecting for what?”

“Expecting! You know!” Emil was waving his hands now. “Baby! We are having a baby!”

Onni spluttered. “A... baby? You?” Emil looked besides himself with joy, and Lalli retained his pleased expression, blended with unmistakable fondness when he was waiting for his husband to carry on with the conversation he’d started. Emil really does him good, Onni thought fleetingly, before returning to the problem at hand. “Emil, in Finnish “expecting a baby” is used when someone is pregnant and will give birth, not when you are waiting to adopt...”

“I know! We are having a baby!” Emil was starting to get confused now.

“But, Emil, you...”, Onni was indicating towards both boys,  “you can’t”.

Emil’s face fell. “Why not? Is there a problem? A custom I don’t know about?” Emil turned to Lalli now. “Help me out!”

Lalli, clearly amused now, just responded “You wanted to talk, you talk” and wrapped his arms around his knees, apparently concentrating in the löyly.

So, Emil had no other recourse and turned back to Onni.
“Onni, please, explain to me what is the problem? What do we need to do? I will... we will do whatever is necessary for the baby”

Onni knew Emil’s schooling hadn’t been very long or successful, but certainly he knew? He had to know about babies. Right? Seething at both boys for putting him into this situation, he started awkwardly. “See, Emil, you are boys...two men cannot...”

Suddenly the penny dropped for Emil. “Oh! No, it’s Inka who’s pregnant! And Rakel will of course be a mum too! We are the dads! We...”

Onni hurried to cut this vein of the conversation short. “Please Emil, no details!” Really, didn’t the Swedes have any notion about privacy? Onni had noticed that the two couples sharing the larger Hotakainen house were close, but he certainly hadn’t seen this coming. “So... I... I have always thought you... and the girls... and... ” He gave up. It was what it was, and they all seemed happy. ”So, anyways, congratulations. I guess.”

“Isn’t it wonderful news?” Emil was bubbling again. “We would like to tell everyone!” Upon a sharp nudge from Lalli, he corrected himself,  ”I would like to tell everyone! But the girls asked me not to, not yet. Inka and Lalli can tell the baby is ok now, but you know how it is...” Even villages with noitas lost many babies, and occasionally mothers too. “And just think! You will be its uncle! Uncle Onni!”

Onni grunted and wrapped his arms around his knees just like his cousin. “I guess I can do that. Let’s bathe now.” He threw a large spoonful of water on the kiuas, resulting in all of the men grouching down to enjoy the hot löyly. That way the silly Swede didn’t see the wide smile on the face of Uncle Onni.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2021, 11:45:52 AM »
Oh, that is a lovely story.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2021, 12:31:19 PM »
Amazing story, Jitter! Amazing! Oh, too see uncle Onni with a large, happy smile!  :)

Nice haiku, midwestmutt. I've never thought before on using numbers!

You know, Jitter, I didn't recall the warning sign, or the one about the explosives, until you mentioned it!  ;D Yes, the beast looks a lot like that, but since this is Sigrun's drawing we can assume that she just remembered it from the Lehto, or it's just a coincidence. I suppose they aren't anywhere near the Lehto, because there were no fishing villages, or high cliffs, near that area. So they wouldn't have problems with Mieliki, which is good since they seem to have already a good amout of trouble waiting for them.  ;D (seriously, what could go wrong?)

BTW that's my first try with the SSSS font! It looks really good. Will be great for edits! Also I loved to draw the team XKCD style!   
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society