Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?  (Read 25313 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?
« on: March 27, 2021, 01:49:29 AM »
A chapter break is upon us once again, and perhaps we can all use a break from the recent drama in the fandom.  What better way to reconnect with what you have always loved about SSSS (the story), than showcasing a series of hideous and/or frightening beasts?  Once again we have each day** allocated to one of our talented Minnions to produce a new fanwork, to tide us over until the new chapter.  The theme this time out centers upon the bears featured in the Bear Registry, and Forests in general. 

And as always, if the day's prompt inspires you, feel free to post your own work - poem, drawing, story, photos of charging bear beasts, whatever you would like to share.  Look for my posts each day in the early hours of the day Forum time.

**This break is to last for 3 weeks, and there are a couple is just one! unclaimed prompts we shoved to the end.  Please see this message to see what prompts are still outstanding and message Jitter or thegreyarea to claim it.

Edit:  I'll put a table of contents of sorts here, and link to the messages as they're posted.
1.  (How to Catch) Nalle (no link, it's the next message!)
2.  Woodland Sounds
3.  (How to catch) Möntti
4.  Fir or pine trees
5.  (How to Catch) Lalli (the bear)
6.  Bird(s)
7.  (How to catch) Metsänukko
8.  Moss and/or lichen
9.  Brook, pond, or spring
10. Rowan or birch
11. Hilly landscape
12. (How to Catch) Karvaturri
13. Oak or lime (tilia) trees
14. The bear family
15. Leaves and blossoms
16. (How to catch) OC bear beast
17. Night in the Forest
18. Bear vs moose
19. Hunting and/or game
20. Outside the Known World
21. Mushrooms
22. (How to catch) Hallavanahka
23. (How to catch) Kusiaistennuolija
24. (How to catch) Pöppö  (New chapter starts!)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:36:37 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 01:59:54 AM »
Day 1 Prompt: (How to Catch) Nalle

Lucky me, I get to go first!  I have concocted a plan for Nalle in words & pictures.  It's under a spoiler because there is a kinda sorta gruesome bit of horror in the pictures, commensurate with the level of horror we see on the pages.

Spoiler: clever plan to kill nalle the rampaging pekinese • show

"Nalle is one of the worst beasts documented on the Bear Registry.  As the Registry puts it, 'nearly half of this bear is a mouth', a maw capable of swallowing a person whole.  That claim is not hyperbole; the team that documented Nalle lost one of its members that way.  It's likely that more souls have been lost inside that pit which defies belief.  On the registry she is listed as not slain.

The beast cannot make out what is directly in front of her.  Like a baby, her main form of interaction with the outside world is to put it in her mouth.  As both offensive and defensive reaction, sustenance and threats alike are taken in without testing for wholesomeness.

This tendency to swallow anything without discrimination can be used to advantage to eliminate Nalle."

"Nalle is active in an area with many trolls, which often spew half-chewed and defecated gobbets of infected material everywhere they go.  With so much pressure from the harsh environment, many other creatures are desperate for any scrap of sustenance they can obtain, and mistake the strewn spew for a savoury stew.  Thus, swallowing these is a major vector toward spreading the contagion in the area.

What you must do is gather together bits of the offal strewn about by other these trolls and place it into the back of a stony cavern.  If you raise a clamour around Nalle, she will feel as though she is threatened on all sides and will retreat into the cave.  Once inside the cave, she will hear her own thrashing and roaring echoed back at her.  Alarmed, she will back further into the cave, stepping into the offal piled there.  Her limited vision will be of no help to her as she becomes maddened by the terrified grunting and growled threats she hears in the echo chamber."

"Your team should now back away, keeping a defensive and watchful position outside the cavern.

Inside the cave, Nalle will become aware of the offal piled around her, and probing it with her tongue, will mistake it for something that will sustain her.  Every noise she makes will resound in the echo chamber, and she will be beset by a frenzy of eating and growling, still believing herself surrounded by enemies.  When she encounters her own back foot, covered with offal, she will become completely enraged at the pain of her enemies' bite, and attack."

"By the time she realises it is her own feet and backside she's stuffed into her maw, it will be too late.   Like an ourobouros, she will eat herself.  And that, will be the end of Nalle.  Now, are there any questions?"

-----
(We can hope this team (with or without blue hair) manages to move Nalle on to the forests of Tapio and Mielikki where she belongs, soon.)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 02:02:22 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

catbirds

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 02:45:35 AM »
Haha, thank you Wave! I loved the expressions this team's leader had, they put a smile on my face at this very late hour :>

Their enthusiasm for getting blue hair really shines through!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 03:35:09 AM »
"Ooookayyyy ... so, Red Team, what's your approach?" :torbjorn:
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 06:17:38 AM »
Um-m-m...
Why not just feed her a bomb?
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »
I Like the pictures. And the Plan and the blue hair thing. Excellent work.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »
Amazing, Wave! I love it! Very well done!

"No, these plans with bombs don't work. The beast seems able to smell explosives from very far away. Next question!"
"Can I choose the tone for the blue hair?"
"Grrr...."
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 08:15:13 AM »
"No, these plans with bombs don't work. The beast seems able to smell explosives from very far away. Next question!"

What kind of explosives can it smell? Can it smell something, that will only become explosive, being mixed with it's
stomach acid?
Can it smell a capacitator powerfull enough, to zap it dead from the inside?
So much possibilities and I only came to see them now T_T
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 08:42:33 AM by Maglor »
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 08:36:00 AM »
Yaaay it has begun!!!! Heeheh I love it Wave; quite a clever strategy for getting rid of such a beast. I love how this combines imagines and dialogue below, almost like, yes, a comic (or a children's book. a children's book with very gruesome content).
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
Wave, this is really quite funny! I definitely enjoyed this first chapter break entry.

(And again, thanks so much to you (and jitter and grey) for taking on the responsibility for the chapter break filler this round - I genuinely don't know whether I would've managed, given how busy I've been.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
Great work Wave! And Grey, Maglor, your continuation of it works well :)

There are indeed a couple of days free, we have 21 prompts claimed but there are 23 days before the first page of next chapter. So, anyone who wants to do a piece about any bear beasts or something to do with forests, give me a shout or PM me and / or thegreyarea!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
Ah it's started! Hurrah!

Oh crud, one of my contributions is barely (haha) started! (Don't worry, I'll get it done on time.)

Wonderful, wave, a suitable convoluted plan that will totally work, riiiight?  ;D
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 01:59:11 PM »
That's great, Wave! Wonderful combination of art and text!
It remains a universal truth, teachers of any kind need to be careful what they threaten promise!
I really needed some humour like this right now....

Sevseres

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
I hope the mage actually can turn hairs blue, I feel like those two would haunt the guy forever otherwise! I had enough experience with kids to know that  :onni:
Thanks for the great start wave!
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
Wavewright, this has me giggling helplessly! I like it.

And anent blue hair: don’t do what I once did! I had put a blue dye through my hair for a part in a play (this was back in the 1960s so I was still a redhead rather than having the faintly red-streaked white that my hair is now). I then made the mistake of going swimming in a heavily chlorinated pool before going home and to sleep.

The next morning I stumbled out of bed at 0430 in the dark of a winter morning, got dressed, brushed and braided my long hair in the dark, and hauled myself off to work. I was getting strange looks all morning, but it was around noon before I passed a mirror and realised what people were looking at: between the dye and the chlorine my hair had become a viridian green. Until the colour faded I looked very strange!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!