Author Topic: The Forum Advent Calendar 2020  (Read 13541 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
The Forum Advent Calendar 2020
« on: November 30, 2020, 02:52:44 AM »
The SSSS / ARtD / CoH Fan-Forum Advent Calendar 2020
8oo10o3oo1oo6oo20o
14o9o17o22o4oo11oo
21o19o2oo13o24o15o
5oo12o16o7o23o18o

It has become an annual tradition here on the Forum to construct an Advent Calendar of fanworks in various media, based on Minna Sundberg's webcomics A Redtail's Dream and Stand Still Stay Silent, and her game development in progress City of Hunger.  Perhaps we'll even see a submission for the so-far-nameless short comic with fluffy bunnies, that has only just been announced and is being developed as this calendar is being prepared? 
Each day from 1 through 24 December, a new fanwork treat will be added to this thread, with the grid above becoming live with links to the post as the month progresses.  Many of our finest artists and writers are preparing works for our delight, with many focusing on a festive theme.
The (general) target time to reveal each new work will be in the wee hours of Official Fan Forum time.

:squirrelcookie: :sigrun: :mikkel: :reynir: :emil: :tuuri: :lalli: :onni:  :squirrelcookie:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 12:16:27 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
Re: The Forum Advent Calendar 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »
Spoiler: open the door • show

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:  Let's get this party started!   :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
We kick off this year's calendar with a contribution from your ever-humble moderator wavewright62.  I often enjoy the dose of the warm fuzzies we often get at this time of year, don't you?
Spoiler: warm fuzzies galore • show

Like many years, I like to ease into the season and post a more general fanwork. This year, I'm inspired by Kitty's training as a Grade B cat, where she learnt to 'properly' inform humans of the presence of simulated trolls.  (She is apparently not the only one who still requires snacks.)

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 05:51:07 AM »
Is that Simon's cat in the background? Nice! (by the way, I sent you that thing you needed)

Reference:

Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:14:16 AM »
caAATs!!!! Thats certainly a lot of warm, occasionally scratch-y, fuzzies in that picture  ;D. I love the pose of the guy doing the training!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »
Haha, what a scene... and a brilliant cameo by Simon's cat!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 01:35:22 PM »
So many pretty kitties!!!  XoX XoX XoX Lovely drawing wave!
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 02:25:57 PM »
Happy Beginning of December, everyone!
Sadly, I cannot see your picture, Wave... :onni:
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »
Awww, adorable kitties, Wave! The poor trainer, though... :'D And I really enjoyed the Simon´s cat-cameo too!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 02:53:54 PM »
The cat trainer commented on Kitty's unfortunate tendency to ask for snacks after an exercise, and instead of showing Kitty asking for them like Simon's Cat (as she was in the first draft), I just included the actual Simon's Cat.
I am going to have figure something out for you, Annuil.... I sequester *all* of the calendar images onto my imgur.  Does anybody have ideas what Annuil can do to her settings?

Edit: I've uploaded the picture onto my tumblr, which I know you *can* see, so here it is under the spoiler:
Spoiler: kitty training • show

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:42:24 PM by wavewright62 »

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 05:31:09 PM »
Oooh! Thank you, wave, that is so great! I’ve actually never seen your drawings colored and it looks awesome! Nice one! ;D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 07:50:18 PM »
What a way to kick off the advent calendar, Wave! Those cats definitely made me laugh.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »
Love the warm fuzzies, Wave! ;D  I'm sure that suit can handle it, right?...
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 12:26:08 AM »

Spoiler: open the door • show

Today's lovely treat comes to us courtesy of that fine storyteller, Grade E Cat, carrying on the continuing adventures of the Human!Kitty Katja.  Thank you!

Spoiler: show

:sparkle:  Katja’s birthday  :sparkle:

According to the ledgers left behind by her parents, Katja’s birthday was just a few days after Jul. She made the cut for her birthday to be celebrated during the festival itself. Due to the circumstances in which she had grown up and her tendency to follow them to places she shouldn’t, this was going to be Katja’s first proper festival. The day before the festival, Sigrun asked him a question that she somehow hadn’t considered before despite the fact that they had both been Katja’s parents for close to a year:
-Hey, Mikkel, you know stuff, so maybe to can solve a mystery for me. Do you have any idea why children born up to six days after Jul get to be “Jul children”, but the acceptable “before” date is about half that?

-This one is actually quite easy. Old-world astronomers estimated that the actual solstice could be up to a couple days before the usual celebration.  As for the “after” cut-off, I assume you remember that place where we got rid of the ghosts, according to Reynir. That religion had a widespread festival that took place the 25th of December, and sometimes required to have the following day to be taken off, as well. In many places, it got either combined with or outright replaced winter solstice celebrations. According to archives, when Jul became the sole winter solstice festival again and was moved up a few days, people in charge decided that the transition would be eased if people who had been used to the Old World festival also being their birthday party were allowed to celebrate it during Jul.

-25th of December, eh? How did that god not have this happen on purpose?

Both Sigrun and Reynir were insistent that Katja was meant to have a role in regards to that religion as it was. If neither of them asked about it specifically or found out on their own, Mikkel was going to keep what the 25th of December festival was meant celebrate from them for as long as his could. Even if they were right, something that was doubting less and less, having a guardian who didn’t make as much of a big deal of it as everyone else around her may make a great difference for the sort of childhood Katja would end up having. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. It turned out be the mailman:

-A couple packages for you just came out of quarantine. There is another that will be out by tomorrow’s mail delivery, as well.

:reynir: xxxx :reynir:

One of the packages was from Reynir. He was sending over copies of all the books about that religion he could find in Iceland, and had gotten his hand on the latest one close enough to Jul to send it along with the small stuffed sheep that was his actual gift. If books on the subject produced in Denmark and Sweden had a “gods don’t actually exist anyway, but they make an interesting study subject” bias to them, the bias of those from Iceland could be summed up as “that god does exist, but it’s in everyone’s best interest to not worship them”. However, considering how thorough Iceland’s efforts to ban that god’s worship had been during the first few decades after the initial Rash outbreak, any surviving information was good to have. Besides, if any of the things denounced in those books were true, they would be clearly stated and explained mistakes from the past that Katja would later know to avoid if her supposed part in rebuilding that religion from the ground up ever came to be. The toy, meanwhile, was identical to one Katja had played with during her stay in Iceland, hadn’t been allowed to take with her upon leaving for various reasons, but hadn’t been reluctant enough to part with to change anyone’s mind. Emil had sent a small bag of expensive sweets that a bakery in Mora had started to produce within the last few months, and that were much appreciated by his younger cousins.  A second item was found in the package from Emil: a cat figurine that had been sculpted in the most light-colored wood that one could find, painted with markings the same color as Katja’s hair. Its style was promptly recognized. It was very like those two to announce such news by sending presents together out of the blue. On Jul itself, a package from Finland was delivered. If Lalli’s present was accompanying Emil’s, that left only one person who knew Katja who could have sent it. The present itself, however, was something someone else entirely would have chosen: a “mechanics for beginners” book.

(Do check out Grade E Cat's previous Katja stories over on the SSSS Scriptorium thread!)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 04:04:22 AM by wavewright62 »

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 12:51:10 AM »
Grade E cat, I loved your story, and the thought you put into each of the gifts, as well as the consideration for what people would know of Christmas in the SSSS world.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 03:08:30 AM »
I have compiled the original "Katja" story here, by the way.

As for the other short fic involving her, I plan to publish all of this year's short fics as a single chapter of my prompt fic collection at the end of the year, with the story above included as well.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.