Author Topic: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!  (Read 8996 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!
« on: August 21, 2020, 11:47:12 PM »
Hello to all!

.._.._..

As many of you may have noticed, Minna has sprung a surprise mini chapter break upon us! As the break is too short (and on too short notice) for the normal events to be run, we've decided to change things up a little. Conveniently, this break also coincides with the forum's sixth anniversary, which is on September the first.

From today until the first of September, we're giving you guys the overall prompt of Minna's many info pages if you want to make creative works. It's going to be a bit of a guessing game - if you make a piece and post it here, everyone can try to pick which info page inspired it!

We hope you have fun!

.._.._..

A list of the info pages (among other things) can be found here: https://sssscomic.fandom.com/wiki/Table_of_Special_Pages#Other_Fact_Sheets

p.s. There's also been a suggestion that on the first of September, people could post a work in celebration of the forum itself! If that sounds like something you'd like to do, then it'd be a cool way to celebrate the anniversary!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 04:02:22 AM »
Here's a bit of a silly one. I'm pretty sure the one I based it off of counts as an info page (hopefully) :V

(This is the first time I've ever participated in something like this, I hope I'm doing it right  :'D)
:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »
Well, it definitely made me laugh! CeilingFan, I love your work! (and yeah! You're definitely doing this right)

As for an info-page, it'd be the one about the sentinel mages, right? Can't really remember the page number.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 07:35:01 AM »
Phaha, CeilingFan, this is great! I love that seagull on Väinö’s shoulder  :'D

Guess: page 177, second Adventure, ”Sentinel Mages Appointed” :))
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »
CeilingFan, a great start! Thank you!

Yes, you are doing it absolutely right! In many events the work is first sent to an organizer, but now we skip that and everyone is just to post theirs directly like you did.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
Thank you Keep Looking, Annuil, and Jitter! Glad to know I'm doing this correctly! And I'm glad you guys found it funny  :))

And yes, I based it off the info pages about the Sentinel Mages (pgs 177-178)! You guys got it right!

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 03:28:53 PM »
Yay!
Okey, I have finished the first part of the artwork, based on one of the info pages (I hope that one counts as an info page...) the second part I’ll try to prepare for tomorrow. Here is the link to OneDrive, since I still haven’t figured out how to post an actual picture (couldn’t find the right link):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_rUYi4nzMkBjzbUAF

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 03:29:53 PM »
Hah! Great start to the event, Ceiling Fan. That poor reporter... what an assignment.  :))
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 03:35:09 PM »
Yay!
Okey, I have finished the first part of the artwork, based on one of the info pages (I hope that one counts as an info page...) the second part I’ll try to prepare for tomorrow. Here is the link to OneDrive, since I still haven’t figured out how to post an actual picture (couldn’t find the right link):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_rUYi4nzMkBjzbUAF

Oooh, I know which page that one's inspired by!

I like the sad/hungry combo for Onni - and they're both offering food. Cinnamon buns fix sadness!  :haw:

Spoiler: show

Page 585, Adventure 1
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 03:42:27 PM »
My entry hot off the stove, before someone else posts yet again:

After more than a year of being part of this team that had been meant to stay together only for a few months, Mikkel had gotten used to the words “that’s a new one” being an understatement, and that understatement being directed at someone else than him. His radio contact from the cat rehab center, however, was doing great for someone not used to their team’s general weirdness:
-Well, this all the advice I can give you, short of bringing your teammate to the rehab center, which I don’t think will help much in the present case.
-Thank you. I will get to it right away.
Mikkel liberated the radio room for the next person who needed it, and took advantage of the fact that his lunch break wasn’t quite over yet to write up a rough estimate of the costs of the solution suggested by the woman from the cat rehab center. Hopefully, the people in charge of the money would have run into enough cases of cat treat addiction to realize that whatever the costs of taking care of the early stages were, they would only increase if they waited for things to get more serious to come up with the money. Fortunately, Mikkel’s work for the afternoon had brought him to the office in which such things were submitted, and it was approved by the end of the day. It looked like enough people had the sufficient common sense to realize that cat treat addiction and a baseline of being uneasy around unfamiliar people couldn’t mix well. He decided to go to Emil and Lalli’s dorm room to show them the paper approving of the costs.
Emil looked at the paper, wide-eyed:
-So, we’re going to gradually replace the cat treats with mini-cupcakes… paid by the military.
-Yes.
Lalli, meanwhile, was reading over Emil’s shoulder, chewing on yet another cat treat, the next one already in his hand.
In his own room, Onni decided to finally try those fish-shape mini-biscuits that Lalli liked so much. He was right, those things tasted quite good.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »
Hehe, cat treats for all!! Grade E cat, my guess is:

page 69 adventure 2, The Cat Academy 2

also, may i just say that this is all a very good idea!! i like this short, prompt-less chapter break filler thing that doubles as a forum celebration
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 06:44:00 PM »
Huzzah, several entries already!  I love the drawings from CeilingFan, Vulpes and Annuil!
(May I possibly request not putting the pictures under spoilers?  The Forum will automatically truncate them to their larger dimension being 800px, which is pretty large on a phone but not generally too bad. Let them fly!)
Grade E Cat, cute!  Are you perhaps thinking of Goldfish crackers?  Perhaps there's something similar in France?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
Hello! I'm also enjoying this great and funny idea, already filled with nice contributions!
So I decided to sit down and write a small story. I wrote it in just one run, and didn't think much about it. I also didn't gave it to be proofread, so you guys will probably bump on some mistakes... (hopefully small ones)
I also think that no one will have to sweat to find out the info page it's based on... :)
Anyway, I hope you find it interesting.

Lalli could feel that it was a dream, but what a vivid dream! All sounds, so clear and sharp! And the smells! He had never felt such intense smells in a dream!
He was in a large house, and a well preserved one. No broken windows, no mold on the walls... Everything looked new, even those strange devices that people from the old times valued so much.
Maybe he was dreaming about that big house he saw in Mora. Tuuri said that it was some kind of museum and promised that one day they would come back and visit it.
If they survived this crazy adventure that would be... His thoughts were interrupted because he started to move inside the dream. it was strange to be aware of dreaming but unable to control anything.
He crossed a room with many pictures on the wall. They depicted the same persons over and over, in different positions and places, but mostly smiling. He never understood why people were always smiling on old pictures. Was life so good before the rash?
That must have been a family. Two adults, three kids, one or two elders, a dog, a cat... The dream continued to move, taking him to another room. Here things were not so tidy. Drawers left open, clothes scattered, a suitcase partially filled... Somebody was packing in a hurry.
He heard a rasping sound, and a scream.
His movement became vary fast, doors and rooms flashing by. The house was really big, but he crossed it in seconds. Than it stopped, and Lalli could see a troll.
It was almost human in shape and size, but he could tell by its skin, eyes and, most of all, by that acrid smell. He had never met a troll that stunk like this one.
On the other side of the room he saw a girl. She was ten, eleven at most, and looked terrified, tears rolling down her face.
The troll started moving towards her, and Lalli could see that she had nowhere to run, even if she wasn't paralysed by fear.
A violent roar invaded his ears, and the troll attention shifted to him. All his instincts were screaming inside, telling him to grab a knife or run, but he couldn't do anything.
The troll started to move, unsteady, in his direction, and a surprised Lalli felt himself sprinting toward it!
What followed was a whirlpool of fast-moving images involving strange noises, horrible smells, flesh, blood and the most awful taste ever felt invading his tongue. He wanted to puke so hard, but just couldn't!
Finally it all stopped, and he could see the troll in pieces before him. There was blood everywhere, and that horrible taste was filling the world.
He saw the girl pass by, looking at him, still terrified. He imagined himself covered in blood and troll guts, undoubtedly a scary vision. Than someone was calling her name.
The girl looked at him, and than outside. She hesitated for a few seconds and ultimately run. Lalli felt a strong desire to run after her, but he was hurt, that taste made him dizzy, and he blacked out.
___
Lalli woke up and looked around. The taste, thankfully, had subsided, leaving just an unpleasant memory. With relief he found himself able to move on his own. He also noticed that he was still dreaming, but now inside the familiar landscape of his personal space. Lalli raised and walked outside the little pond, feeling that something was calling for him.
He should be careful, because IT could have, somehow, found a way to his place, but he felt no danger and went ahead, wandering through the trees until he arrived at a foggy meadow. By the end of it he could see... people?
He kept walking and was finally able to see them well. It was the family from the pictures! They were even smiling, but... at him! Their dog was there too, and it started running in his direction.
Everything, suddenly, was clear to him.
"So that what's happened, hum? You fought that troll to save the girl!"
Lalli squatted as the dog approached, wagging its tail and barking happily. He extended his hand and felt the soft fur while looking at those round, friendly eyes. A deep feeling of gratitude washed over him... And than that long tongue darted out and licked his whole face, making him fall back.
Lalli tried to clean himself. When he was able to open his eyes again the dog was running back to the family. They were still smiling, and now they were also waving at him!
He didn't knew what to do, but waved back. The fog became more intense and they started to disappear, one by one, until only the dog remained. It barked again and start to vanish. Lalli felt his dream also vanishing and closed his eyes.
___
Lalli woke up and looked around. He was back at the tank, and everybody was sleeping around him. His face felt wet and he was trying to figure if it was from tears or some ghostly licking session when he remembered, and muttered, something that was left unsaid.
"Thanks! Thanks for not biting my friend!"
He closed his eyes, trying to get some more sleep, when he heard a distant, soft bark.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:38:18 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 10:53:16 PM »
I like the sad/hungry combo for Onni - and they're both offering food. Cinnamon buns fix sadness!  :haw:
They surely do!
Interesting thing about this drawing, that I didn’t realise at first but then it made me a little sad...
This “offering” could never have happened... Onni, Reynir and Tuuri could have never be together at the same time :'(

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 11:27:20 PM by Annuil »

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 11:25:29 PM »
Grade E cat, a lovely story!
Btw, have you ever tried to eat the cat treats? I’ve tried only dog ones, but we made them ourselves so it was pretty good but I’m not brave enough to try the ones from the store, they smell weird :'D

My guess is: pages 68-69, “The Cat Academy”, Adventure II

wavewright62, thank you!

And also, thegreyarea, I love your “dreaming in a dream “ story! And I have two guesses about which info page it might be...
Guess one: pages 257-258, “Kalma”, Adventure II, which isn’t probably the one, but the smell of the troll and all those Lalli’s disgusting feelings fit in my mind with Kalma...
Guess two: page 46, the flying calendar, Adventure I or page 132, the picture on the wall which isn’t an info page really but it has the “smiling family with the dog”...
Okey, I feel like I’m totally lost, all of these are probably wrong but I tried... I still love this guessing thing! It makes me think and remember all the pages I saw and which one of those (under which number) it was  :'D ;D