Author Topic: Reported bugs on CoH prototype  (Read 542 times)

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Reported bugs on CoH prototype
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:35:32 AM »
Here's a topic where you can talk about the bugs you've found. This way, the more dedicated testers can fiddle around with them and maybe find the root cause ;)
Also, I think it would be best to not overwhelm Minna with reports, so IMHO bugs already listed here should probably not be reported again to <cohgamebugs at gmail . com>
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:47:58 AM by P__ »
:chap5: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book2: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book3: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap17: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6: :chap5:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: Reported bugs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 03:48:37 AM »
I did find a most likely Linux-specific bug where the game wasn't saving because the destination folder didn't have the right permissions. I eventually did manage a fix on my own:

sudo mkdir /saves

sudo chmod -R 0777 /saves

I still sent in a bug report prior to finding my own solution.
:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17:

P__

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:08:13 AM »
I got a bug: pausing the game (going to another window) when a fight starts causes the fade-in effect to break.

Also an issue without a cause: Sigrun got the lion's share of the Exp during one game-run. If someone can find what caused that, it would probably help Minna.
Also got a problem with entering a fight as soon as the Ice Fields loaded, which caused the text-overlay to stay in place forever.

Then more minor issues, which I reported anyway, related to a weird movement/invisible wall area (just left of the Fields' entrance, but it only affected me once) and a few misplaced graphics (one light overlay a few meters south-east of the Fields entrance, three instances of image overlays being less-than-perfect)

I did find a most likely Linux-specific bug where the game wasn't saving because the destination folder (snip)
My saves work fine, but there doesn't seem to be a destination folder, or save-files for that matter  :o . If that's the case for everyone, then your bug is assuredly Linux-specific ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:10:55 AM by P__ »
:chap17: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6: :chap5:

JoB

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »
I'm running it exclusively in WINE and I have close to zero gaming experience, so I'm quite unlikely to send any bug report whatsoever to Minna, but I'm fairly sure I've seen the "getting healed" effect (flush of blue) on the default character (Reynir) instead of the selected recipient (Mikkel IIRC) once or twice.

Speaking of zero experience, is it intentional that you apparently cannot end your turn short of having spent all playable cards of your group? "Wasting" heals and revives on characters who all still have 100% HP seems counterintuitive ...
native: :germany:secondary: :usa: :france:
:artd: :book1+::book2: :book3: :chap17:
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:42:30 AM »
My saves work fine, but there doesn't seem to be a destination folder, or save-files for that matter  :o . If that's the case for everyone, then your bug is assuredly Linux-specific ;)

I think that's less because there's no destination folder as that you're just not seeing what the hardware is doing. Anyone who didn't think to or didn't know how to look deeper would only see that the game wasn't saving when they clicked the Save button - I had to actually go and look at the logfile to see what was wrong, and found that it was throwing an Unauthorized Access error when it tried to access the /saves directory (which I'll add is not in the same directory that the game itself is saved in, but rather in the home or root directory).

That the location itself was not allowing access, though, is probably a Linux-specific error. And the only reason I managed to fix it is that I'm a stubborn Linux user who if something doesn't work the way it's supposed to, then by the gods, I will find a way to make it work because I want to play my video game. ;)
:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17:

JoB

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
found that it was throwing an Unauthorized Access error when it tried to access the /saves directory (which I'll add is not in the same directory that the game itself is saved in, but rather in the home or root directory).
My guess is that we have two possibilities here: Either the game's trying to prefix that with something Windows-ish like %DEFAULTUSERPROFILE% that just doesn't exist on the Linux side, or it's actually trying to save into a direct subdir of (some device's) root dir, in which case the bug will very likely exist in Windows as well.

And the only reason I managed to fix it is that I'm a stubborn Linux user who if something doesn't work the way it's supposed to, then by the gods, I will find a way to make it work because I want to play my video game. ;)
... be it apt, yum, YaST or "./configure;make;make install"? ;)
native: :germany:secondary: :usa: :france:
:artd: :book1+::book2: :book3: :chap17:
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

P__

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »
I think that's less because there's no destination folder as that you're just not seeing what the hardware is doing. Anyone who didn't think to or didn't know how to look deeper would only see that the game wasn't saving when they clicked the Save button - I had to actually go and look at the logfile to see what was wrong, and found that it was throwing an Unauthorized Access error when it tried to access the /saves directory (which I'll add is not in the same directory that the game itself is saved in, but rather in the home or root directory).

That the location itself was not allowing access, though, is probably a Linux-specific error. And the only reason I managed to fix it is that I'm a stubborn Linux user who if something doesn't work the way it's supposed to, then by the gods, I will find a way to make it work because I want to play my video game. ;)
It's good that we have the log :) sadly, it doesn't seem to say anything about *where* the save happens unless there's a problem with it XD (and no files - visible or otherwise - are marked as modified except for the log itself.

I'm running it exclusively in WINE and I have close to zero gaming experience, so I'm quite unlikely to send any bug report whatsoever to Minna, but I'm fairly sure I've seen the "getting healed" effect (flush of blue) on the default character (Reynir) instead of the selected recipient (Mikkel IIRC) once or twice.

Speaking of zero experience, is it intentional that you apparently cannot end your turn short of having spent all playable cards of your group? "Wasting" heals and revives on characters who all still have 100% HP seems counterintuitive ...
There's no option to manually end the turn; sometimes the baddies attack after only 3 actions, but mostly your turn does indeed end once every character has acted or can't act. You don't *have* to use all cards, though, since you can do an action without a supporting card. But that's pointless because all cards are discarded and new ones are drawn each turn.
I'll keep an eye out for the "getting healed" effect chosing the wrong target, see if I can figure what it is about ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:58:47 AM by P__ »

Kis

• Ugh?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »
I reported the overlays (which occured near the entrance and the chasm) too
And another reported minor error: sometimes if I move near the southeastern ledge, the background breaks a little (there is a black line for a moment)
Honestly I'm sure I just repeated other reports  :P
Upd: launched the game again and now I have a strange glitch. Sigrun gets more exp from every fight, even if her cards were used only as support. I thought restart would help but it didn't. I don't think I should report it now, because I don't know if it was caused by me delving the files (but I didn't change anything, just looked through) or it is a bug
Upd[2]: That happens only with my saved game, new ones work properly. Does anybody know what could cause it?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:25:17 AM by Kis »
I hope I'm doing it right..
Native: :russia:
Enough to understand what's going on: :uk:
Learning: :sweden: (oh so cool)

P__

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
And another reported minor error: sometimes if I move near the southeastern ledge, the background breaks a little (there is a black line for a moment)
Found it too; didn't find the overlays near the chasm, though.

Honestly I'm sure I just repeated other reports  :P
Better to report an error twice than not to report it at all ;)

Upd: launched the game again and now I have a strange glitch. Sigrun gets more exp from every fight, even if her cards were used only as support. I thought restart would help but it didn't. I don't think I should report it now, because I don't know if it was caused by me delving the files (but I didn't change anything, just looked through) or it is a bug
Pretty sure it is a bug. I had it too on a game I didn't save (ETA: I think, but maybe I just don't remember about it), and now on a game I saved in the middle slot (slot 1 on the output log), which I had first saved before a first fight, just after getting into the Fields. If something other than random glitchyness is the cause of the bug, I suspect it's one of these 2 factors.
Edit2: reproduced the glitch by having another game saved in the Ice Field, before any fight. Seems like that's the cause; I'll test a bit more before reporting it to Minna
Edit3/6: the bug is indeed caused by saving, in the Fields, without having won a fight, and then closing the game and loading it. This is not affected by: running away, having a game-over, going to the main menu, loading another game-save, saving in the first room, healing at the vending-machine, havimg won fights during previous sessions. I think I have enough for a report now.
Edit4: Kis' latest post happened while I was doing the testing/message-editing. I'll wait a bit for potential new info before sending the e-mail
Edit5: the bug has propagated to my "normal" game-save, which I had saved immediately after opening for testing purposes. This warrants further testing, but I'll not be doing it now

Edit: I pointed out earlier that sometimes the enemies' turn starts after 3 characters attacked. That seems pretty rare, so I wonder if it was a glitch. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:48:17 PM by P__ »

Kis

• Ugh?
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
did't see edits 3-6 for some reason. straaaange
About enemies' turns. I think that was a glitch. Haven't seen that in all my previous sessions and for the past hour (well there was a time when I used both Reynir's cards as support and thus had only three attacks which I, being inattentive as usual, thought was the thing you're talking about before realizing what I did). Will tell if I manage to provoke it somehow
Upd:oh no I'm so slow
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:40:57 PM by Kis »
I hope I'm doing it right..
Native: :russia:
Enough to understand what's going on: :uk:
Learning: :sweden: (oh so cool)

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:32:35 PM »
Edit3/6: the bug is indeed caused by saving, in the Fields, without having won a fight, and then closing the game and loading it. This is not affected by: running away, having a game-over, going to the main menu, loading another game-save, saving in the first room, healing at the vending-machine, havimg won fights during previous sessions. I think I have enough for a report now.

Edit: I pointed out earlier that sometimes the enemies' turn starts after 3 characters attacked. That seems pretty rare, so I wonder if it was a glitch. Any ideas?

I got the XP-bug as well, though I noticed it after I already won several fights. Saving + closing the game seems to be the thing with my machine (Win7).

As for the enemy turn one early: Could it be that the only character left had not any cards left to use b/c they have been already used as auxillaries by the others? I got the glitch only once, but thought it might have been that.
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

P__

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »
As for the enemy turn one early: Could it be that the only character left had not any cards left to use b/c they have been already used as auxillaries by the others? I got the glitch only once, but thought it might have been that.
Yeah, it's probably just that. It hasn't happened again for me either since I started paying attention :))

Grade E cat

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
I think I may have just run into something. I left the shelter without speaking to anyone and got hit by an enemy spawn basically as soon as I exited. When this happened, I ended up with only the card part of the battle menu on a dark screen.
But how it happened was quite odd: I did briefly have the screen change from landscape view to battle view, but it happened along with the camera progressively moving toward the top right until the battle image was gone.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:46:05 AM by Grade E cat »
Note to self: I live in France and go to bed early, I do NOT get time zone induced early updates
Native: :france:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :usa:
Buried under years of non-existent practice: :spain:
Mummified remains: :japan: :germany:

P__

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 03:19:09 AM »
I think I may have just run into something. I left the shelter without speaking to anyone and got hit by an enemy spawn basically as soon as I exited. When this happened, I ended up with only the card part of the battle menu on a dark screen.
But how it happened was quite odd: I did briefly have the screen change from landscape view to battle view, but it happened along with the camera progressively moving toward the top left until the battle image was gone.
Happened to me once too (although my camera moved top right). Did you pause the game while the screen was scrolling down in the landscape? I did when the problem happened and thought it might have something to do with it.
I wasn't able to make it happen on purpose (yet), so I think it's just due to a critter randomly spawning too early/too close and messing things up...

update on the EXP problem: I think I found how to solve it (I'll test a bit more to be certain) - if you play a start a new game, fight, and then go to the main menu to open your bugged game, it's back to normal.
upd 2:
Testing is still needed to check if all these things are needed. What I don't know yet is: if just playing a non-bugged game is enough to remove the problem, or if you actually need to start a new one; if when starting a new game, you need to have a fight; if double-saving causes the bug only in this saved game or in any saved game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:06:59 AM by P__ »

Grade E cat

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 06:53:52 AM »
Happened to me once too (although my camera moved top right). Did you pause the game while the screen was scrolling down in the landscape? I did when the problem happened and thought it might have something to do with it.
I wasn't able to make it happen on purpose (yet), so I think it's just due to a critter randomly spawning too early/too close and messing things up...

It was actually top right for me too (I corrected my original post), I absent-mindedly got both mixed up while writing last night. Otherwise, no, I didn't pause the game while it was scrolling down, or a least haven't been aware of doing so.
Note to self: I live in France and go to bed early, I do NOT get time zone induced early updates
Native: :france:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :usa:
Buried under years of non-existent practice: :spain:
Mummified remains: :japan: :germany: