Author Topic: The Gardening Thread  (Read 41933 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Gardening Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »
Birds do like to scratch up seedlings. Something I have found helpful is to cover large pots with chicken wire, with the seeds or seedlings under it. If the wire is at least a few inches above the soil surface, by the time the plants grow through the wire they are much harder to scratch up.

The cat must be truly desperate if it will eat aloe, which is both spiky and intensely bitter. Does it have access to fresh water? And have you considered planting up a pot of catgrass so it has safe greens to chew on? Don’t let the cat chew on random houseplants: many of them, such as lilies and dieffenbachia, are irritants or are poisonous. Might be worth talking to a vet about the cat’s diet and general health too. Does the cat get wormed? Sometimes a cat will eat purgative plants like aloe if they have a worm infestation. Good luck!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

refract3d

« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
I have the plants inside the window for now, but would like to move them outside as the season progresses. I'll try that, thanks! There's a ton of pigeons that like to hang out on the roof below my window because my neighbor feeds them and I was concerned about them scratching up and eating things.

He's quite well fed and has water available, I think it was mostly curiosity. I don't know if he actually ate it last time but there were definitely some tooth marks. Hopefully he's learned a lesson and won't try again? That's honestly more reassuring than anything, I just don't trust him not to bite things, he's a weird furball who likes to use his teeth. (he's a big ginger boy with a very strong hunting instinct and a lot of playful energy)

I'll talk to my roommate about planting some catgrass anyway. Thanks!
Native language: :usa:
A little :vaticancity: :japan: Korean
Learning :norway: :spain:

Ask me about cuttlefish!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »
The peonies began to blossom two days ago. 
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2019, 10:04:02 AM »
https://66.media.tumblr.com/946904549f466dfb28baafdc4017cc0c/tumblr_psktsskxH71ti7cwto1_1280.jpg
https://66.media.tumblr.com/10fd8caf103356c5c01dfc498bbcb4d3/tumblr_psktwbnBP91ti7cwto1_1280.jpg
https://66.media.tumblr.com/03515401f43192f041119583bb16a3b8/tumblr_psku228bhk1ti7cwto1_1280.jpg
The house is 101 years old. It was a company house in the old woolen mill days and was built for a supervisor. The peony bushes are over 50 years old. My mother planted bulbs given to her by a neighbor of her mother.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:07:00 AM by midwestmutt »

Róisín

« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2019, 11:14:32 AM »
Midwestmutt, those pæonies are gorgeous! Which cultivar are they? I have several plants but none quite that pretty. Are they scented?

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »
They have a wonderful scent. I'm afraid I don't know which particular species they are. They have been a feature of the yard for nearly my whole life.They are the popular type in my area. Possible Chinese or Sarah Bernhardts though wiki says those are pink not red.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:33:28 AM by midwestmutt »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
Just gorgeous!  And I love your deep porch/veranda.  We had an old pale pink peony bush when I was growing up, but what I remember most about that was the ants!  I couldn't just enjoy the blooms, because they were always covered in ants. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »
Now the peonies are in full bloom. There is a bee about to land on top left. I've always felt that the ants help the flowers open up.  https://66.media.tumblr.com/b654899c6eb4492cf905f01b2368ad87/tumblr_pslk5g336U1ti7cwto1_1280.jpg

Róisín

« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2019, 12:29:51 AM »
Lovely. And I think what you have is a P. edulis cultivar, the very old one used in Asiatic traditional medicine.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »
This comes up as passion fruit on google.

Róisín

« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »
Sorry! Botanical conventional usage is that the abbreviation refers to the last genus name used in the ongoing conversation starting with that letter. Which in this case was Pæonia. The passionflower is Passiflora edulis. Many plants have the specific epithet (species name) edulis, or edule, which means edible. Doesn’t always mean that it is something you would regularly eat, the Pæonia, for instance, is more used in medicine than in food, though in some cultures the seeds are used as a spice, just that eating it is possible. A lot of botanical names have adjectives telling something about the plant, such as ‘alba’ or ‘albiflorum’ (having white flowers), ‘nana’ (tiny or dwarf) or ‘angustifolium’ (having pointy leaves). Too easy to forget that I am not talking to another botanist,

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »
Ah OK now I got it. I'd say you nailed it. Everything I see on google describes these to a T. The only other flowers to bloom soon will be the tiger lillies. The tulips and lilacs are done.

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2019, 11:30:55 PM »
Your peonies are so ridiculously beautiful, Mutt!!!! Enjoy them while they last  :))
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Róisín

« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2019, 05:44:02 AM »
My lilacs and tiger lilies didn’t bloom at all this year, and only three of the tulips did, rather than the few hundred flowers I normally get from them.  And I grow hardy species tulips rather than the delicate cultivars. Let’s hope next year is better. This year has been the single worst one I have ever had for fruit and flowers, both here and anywhere else I have lived. Normally I have plenty of flowers on my land for the bees both wild and domestic, the butterflies and the nectar-eating small birds, as well as yielding me a profitable amount of flowers to sell as ‘cottage flower bunches’ at the Farmers Market. I will not scant the animals of their food, so this is likely to be the second week I will have no flowers for the market. *grumblemuttercurse*.

At least I have been successful in propagating some of the food plants which are rare here such as Gynura and  Basella, as well as some rare cacti and flowering groundcover succulents, and the New Zealand Rock Lily, which is also uncommon in these parts, and the lemon crop is coming on, so I will have something to sell at the market. I have lost my Chinese Ground Orchids to the weather, which is annoying because those are medicinal as well as pretty, but I know somebody who will trade me some for young fruit trees, and I have managed to trade some bromeliads and Gynura for new starts of Crosnes, which I had lost to the extreme weather last year. Glad of that, because as well as being for the market, crosnes are one of my favourite vegetables to eat, as well as having pretty flowers.

I’m glad your pæonies are surviving and blooming for you.