Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387387 times)

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1410 on: November 13, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
"Insubordination? Get down and conjugate 50 verbs!"

*in a proper drill-sergeant roar* YOU'RE NOT CONJUGATING FAST ENOUGH! YOU'RE NOT MOTIVATED!

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1411 on: November 13, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »
MA'AM, YES, MA'AM!  Permission requested to observe training, MA'AM!

Uh... how do you say "maggot" in Norwegian? 

And how do you say, "Ain't no use in going home/ Jody got your gal and gone./Sound off! 1-2! Sound off! 3-4!"

Or maybe you'll take more the Bill Murray approach to training your troops?
I just remembered the R. Lee Ermy drill routine, but I can't post that here without breaking bending my own rules... so... yeah.  I can neither confirm nor deny the suggestion that it cracks me up hysterically into fits of sobbing laughter.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1412 on: November 13, 2014, 07:06:59 PM »
*in a proper drill-sergeant roar* YOU'RE NOT CONJUGATING FAST ENOUGH! YOU'RE NOT MOTIVATED!
*watches from the sidelines*
*is now too horrified to join* O___O

I used to play quite a bit of chess in high school.  We were really bored in study hall, and we raided the cabinets and found a board sitting there and said, "Hey, why not?"  We got pretty good.  There was one guy I could never beat.  I probably went against him like 60+ times, but only beat him once...  My fatal flaw was just not looking at the board enough.  I'm a slow thinker, and when I'd move, I would immediately lose a piece pointlessly because I didn't see the other person's pieces.  Haven't played in a couple years...
I used to play too much chess X'D there was a chess club at school and we competed with other schools, no age levels, and one school got really mad when my tiny little sister beat this huge tough guy with some special move and so for revenge we beat nearly all of them in horrible, slow and agonizing games where they were so mad and upset some of them left......looking back, out teacher was a PSYCHO SADIST and it really showed in our chess O_____O we were a team of monsters. Monsters. ;_;
I forgot all the swishy moves so I only play for fun and derpy theatrics now. :3

It would be so cool if we could set up a minion chess game or something! That would be so fun X'D

(Agh the hairdresser wanted to try a new style on my fringe, and now it's all choppy and 'casual' but my hair keeps trying to straighten out and be neat X'D it's kinda terrible. I'm glad I don't have to go to class for a while :P)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:10:16 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1413 on: November 13, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »
*watches from the sidelines*
*is now too horrified to join* O___O
I used to play too much chess X'D there was a chess club at school and we competed with other schools, no age levels, and one school got really mad when my tiny little sister beat this huge tough guy with some special move and so for revenge we beat nearly all of them in horrible, slow and agonizing games where they were so mad and upset some of them left......looking back, out teacher was a PSYCHO SADIST and it really showed in our chess O_____O we were a team of monsters. Monsters. ;_;
I forgot all the swishy moves so I only play for fun and derpy theatrics now. :3

It would be so cool if we could set up a minion chess game or something! That would be so fun X'D

(Agh the hairdresser wanted to try a new style on my fringe, and now it's all choppy and 'casual' but my hair keeps trying to straighten out and be neat X'D it's kinda terrible. I'm glad I don't have to go to class for a while :P)
Ohhh my gosh, that's hilarious.  From chess assassin to derpy board game theatrics. 
There are plenty of ways to play games online.  I'm pretty sure windows computers come with board games that have online capabilities.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1414 on: November 13, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »
Ohhh my gosh, that's hilarious.  From chess assassin to derpy board game theatrics. 
There are plenty of ways to play games online.  I'm pretty sure windows computers come with board games that have online capabilities.
Heheh, it was like "Well, I could put you in check mate right now, but I'm trying to take all your pieces in ascending order first you know? Yes we have been playing for half an hour... If you keep moving like that this will just take longer...heeeeere bishop-bishop-bishop!"
O_____O *shudders*

Ooooh that sounds interesting...hmmmmm....*ponders*

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1415 on: November 13, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »
Heheh, it was like "Well, I could put you in check mate right now, but I'm trying to take all your pieces in ascending order first you know? Yes we have been playing for half an hour... If you keep moving like that this will just take longer...heeeeere bishop-bishop-bishop!"

You sound like my husband. He once played somebody to a stalemate instead of putting them in checkmate just to mess with them. The second half of the game was full of the sounds of his laughter and his opponent screaming and swearing in frustration every time he didn't just kill him already. It was beautiful.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1416 on: November 13, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
You sound like my husband. He once played somebody to a stalemate instead of putting them in checkmate just to mess with them. The second half of the game was full of the sounds of his laughter and his opponent screaming and swearing in frustration every time he didn't just kill him already. It was beautiful.
Wow! X'D that is awesomely evil!

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1417 on: November 13, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »
That sounds like my dad. In every goddamn game I play with him. Or every political debate. Or every competition, pretty much. I want my own son, if just for the sake of visiting the same grief and frustration upon them.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1418 on: November 13, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
That sounds like my dad. In every goddamn game I play with him. Or every political debate. Or every competition, pretty much. I want my own son, if just for the sake of visiting the same grief and frustration upon them.
My dad tried really hard to find something we could do together, bless his heart, but we just don't have anything in common, as far as interests go.  I don't think I want... more than one son.  I do want one, but I don't want my kids to do any of the stupid things I did... the numerous, numerous, stupid things that I did.  Really, I just don't want my kids to be anything like me.  *Disparages* 
I'll be fine with a couple of daughters, but one son will be more than enough.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1419 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »
My dad tried really hard to find something we could do together, bless his heart, but we just don't have anything in common, as far as interests go.  I don't think I want... more than one son.  I do want one, but I don't want my kids to do any of the stupid things I did... the numerous, numerous, stupid things that I did.  Really, I just don't want my kids to be anything like me.  *Disparages* 
I'll be fine with a couple of daughters, but one son will be more than enough.
My dad tried that, (I think he wanted sons haha) we sort of have things in common. We like fishing and nature but for different reasons, my dad only sees functionality and use while I like not useful things as well as function. Like he can't see the beauty in a rainy day, it just stops him from working, I like fishing because it's relaxing and fish are cool, he wants to catch the big fish for meals (more meals out of less fish, but that means going into dangerous sea), I like forest because it's got so much cool stuff in it, he sees a fire hazard and firewood :/ hmmmmmmm
I think if I was a son I would've ended up more like him and not my mum....which I don't think would be good. For a start, I'd've probably died in a silly stunt-attempt accident or working in the forest or fish farms by now :S
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:04:16 AM by OrigamiOwl »

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1420 on: November 14, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »

Quite so! It is one of the many, many reasons why I married the man.

So on the "what I did today" topic: I don't know how many of you people are interested in guns, but I recently was given an adorable little Beretta Tomcat secondhand as a concealed carry weapon. Seriously, it is the cutest, tiniest little thing. I took it with me to the range and shot off a couple practice rounds to see how it felt, and I could not rack the slide at all. This isn't unusual for me, as I have weak and tiny girl hands and have trouble getting a good grip, so I thought it was just stiffer than most pistols, and set it aside as a gun to use when my hand strength was in existence better.

Fast forward to today, when the hubby and I sat down to clean the guns (I'm not remotely experienced with guns, so this was the first time I was doing it myself instead of just observing him). We field stripped the tomcat and found that apparently it had never been cleaned basically ever. There was so much powder and carbon and gunk in the rails that it took ages to get it all out. When we finished, I tried racking the slide again--and immediately started laughing. Smooth and easy. Yeah.

So basically today I learned which of my guns are reliable enough to not jam up hopelessly when dirty, and that I must always always clean a new gun before attempting to do anything with it, because the previous owners cannot be trusted to have done so themselves. \o/

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1421 on: November 14, 2014, 12:51:48 AM »
My dad tried that, (I think he wanted sons haha) we sort of have things in common. We like fishing and nature but for different reasons, my dad only sees functionality and use while I like not useful things as well as function. Like he can't see the beauty in a rainy day, it just stops him from working, I like fishing because it's relaxing and fish are cool, he wants to catch the big fish for meals (more meals out of less fish, but that means going into dangerous sea), I like forest because it's got so much cool stuff in it, he sees a fire hazard and firewood :/ hmmmmmmm
I think if I was a son I would've ended up more like him and not my mum....which I don't think would be good. For a start, I'd've probably died in a silly stunt-attempt accident or working in the forest or fish farms by now :S
My parents wanted a son, they stopped at me for a reason.  One thing my dad and I do that your just reminded me of, is watch summer storms.  It makes the hot day so much better, and he and I will just sit back on the front porch and eat peanuts for a while.  In fact, he's the one who pulls me out there, cause he gets excited about it.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  :)  My dad can be like that too, but he appreciates the breaks he can catch, whenever they come his way, and I know he likes some good music.  We watched a part of the Eric Clapton homage-concert together, and that was fun.

Not all boys do dangerous things.  I'm one of the guys who never tried to pull stupid stunts; the stupid things I did were of a different variety.  They were more mentally and emotionally dangerous than physically.  My group of friends were the same way.  Our testosterone didn't make us stupid or angry, it just made me tall and gave me longer ring fingers than index fingers.  Still, growing up as one of the only calm males in a high school full of weird, unthinking teenagers was strange.  I can be very competitive though...  to the point where it kind of becomes a negative thing, occasionally.

Oh gosh, I'm getting into sleep-drunk ramblings (sleepy-drunk does not need alcohol, only sleepiness), I just deleted like three lines of text because of sheer stupidity of the content...  It's time for bed.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1422 on: November 14, 2014, 01:10:12 AM »
My parents wanted a son, they stopped at me for a reason.  One thing my dad and I do that your just reminded me of, is watch summer storms.  It makes the hot day so much better, and he and I will just sit back on the front porch and eat peanuts for a while.  In fact, he's the one who pulls me out there, cause he gets excited about it.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  :)  My dad can be like that too, but he appreciates the breaks he can catch, whenever they come his way, and I know he likes some good music.  We watched a part of the Eric Clapton homage-concert together, and that was fun.

Not all boys do dangerous things.  I'm one of the guys who never tried to pull stupid stunts; the stupid things I did were of a different variety.  They were more mentally and emotionally dangerous than physically.  My group of friends were the same way.  Our testosterone didn't make us stupid or angry, it just made me tall and gave me longer ring fingers than index fingers.  Still, growing up as one of the only calm males in a high school full of weird, unthinking teenagers was strange.  I can be very competitive though...  to the point where it kind of becomes a negative thing, occasionally.

Oh gosh, I'm getting into sleep-drunk ramblings (sleepy-drunk does not need alcohol, only sleepiness), I just deleted like three lines of text because of sheer stupidity of the content...  It's time for bed.
My dad is a Mark Knopfler fan :P and used to race his car and dirt bike in comps and....not comps, so I probably would've followed those footsteps, because he would've bought me a dirt bike like the other local boys :P I'm pretty sure I still inherited the speed trait, but it's expressed in a different way, I like racing games (but have only ever played one twice ;__;) and running and swimming, but they were probably from my mum :3

Sleep-drunkiness :P that's why the juiciest secrets are spilt at sleepovers I guess X)

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1423 on: November 14, 2014, 02:14:42 AM »
I'm basically identical to my father. Both physically and in character, I mean. Once, when I was six, I looked at a photo of mine and wondered why was I riding a bike, since I couodn't ride bikes yet. Then granny told me it was dad's picture, not mine. It was identical. And we also share the same interests. And walk in the same way. And tend to go and steal food from the fridge in the same manner. And sit down to watch movies in the same identical manner, not to mention we both like the same movies (AKA the kind of movies my sister and sometimes my mom think are weird). I'm also told I've inherited his intelligence, but that may be the only difference between me and him.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1424 on: November 14, 2014, 04:45:13 AM »
MA'AM, YES, MA'AM!  Permission requested to observe training, MA'AM!

Uh... how do you say "maggot" in Norwegian? 

That's chief sir master petty seargant major destruction corporal punishment sir to you private.
I don't think we have a word for maggots, I've never actually seen one even though I've seen tons of carrion.

My dad tried really hard to find something we could do together, bless his heart, but we just don't have anything in common, as far as interests go.
Are we talking about Dad relationships? Sad to say but my dad and I will usually end up fighting whenever we try to do anything together. Taking driving lessons from him for months was actually pretty painful. But in a way it's reasonable, he's a military man and wants things done his way or the highway- and I'm Insubordinate with a capital I.

My mom has the lamest kind of humour
-*laughing intensely* Did you hear that, there's a guy called Stakkars Willy (norwegian for "Poor Willy")
- Mom, they clearly said Saakashvili (Foreign minister of Georgia)
- Stakkars Willy, there's a war in his country *laughing even more*
- Mom, c'mon...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:48:39 AM by Fimbulvarg »