Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387362 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14310 on: March 03, 2016, 06:37:47 PM »
Ok, maybe a little accident-prone but nothing tragic (I hope). :-\

Well, no judgement at all here, though it's not the first time things in the workshop have taken unexpected turns. Still, like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park you have the capacity to learn, and that nullifies most setbacks (like velociraptors' lack of opposable digits)  ;)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14311 on: March 03, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
Laufey, some picture-framers have a specific tool for pulling staples which makes the job a great deal easier and safer. I think it is actually called a 'staple puller'. It looks sort of like a pair of tweezers with two flat, slightly slanted metal plates set at 90 degrees to the stems at the tips, so that when you squeeze the stems of the tweezer the two little plates close like jaws under the flat part of the staple. Maybe your boss has such a thing in a toolbox somewhere.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

IKEA

« Reply #14312 on: March 03, 2016, 11:21:22 PM »
Laufey, some picture-framers have a specific tool for pulling staples which makes the job a great deal easier and safer. I think it is actually called a 'staple puller'. It looks sort of like a pair of tweezers with two flat, slightly slanted metal plates set at 90 degrees to the stems at the tips, so that when you squeeze the stems of the tweezer the two little plates close like jaws under the flat part of the staple. Maybe your boss has such a thing in a toolbox somewhere.
In the US they're pretty commonly found in department stores and hobby shops.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14313 on: March 04, 2016, 01:36:17 AM »
Well, no judgement at all here, though it's not the first time things in the workshop have taken unexpected turns. Still, like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park you have the capacity to learn, and that nullifies most setbacks (like velociraptors' lack of opposable digits)  ;)

In a workshop small nicks and cuts and actually kinda normal. When you work with your hands your hands are often first in the line of damage, I could tell you so many stories from the goldsmith students!

I hope I'll get to keep my opposable digits in my human (= non-ssssona) form. Those velociraptors were cool though...

Not in any of those toolboxes that I have at my use, alas, I went through the whole place in "I HAVE to have something better for this!"-desperation. I might ask the bossman about it though, because where I'm working I do get this kind of work every now and then. Main problem with the staples was that they were so deep in the frame it was hard to wiggle anything between the staple and the frame in the first place, which is where the little slips happened.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14314 on: March 04, 2016, 05:21:37 AM »

Like an 'office crocodile'? Even I have that on my work desk but I've only ever used it to fight my actual taxidermised alligator head in times of desperate boredom.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14315 on: March 04, 2016, 05:28:36 AM »
Like an 'office crocodile'? Even I have that on my work desk but I've only ever used it to fight my actual taxidermised alligator head in times of desperate boredom.

Alas, one of those wouldn't do the trick. The staples are hit into a wooden frame, their business ends don't come through the other side and the top part sits so close to the frame (sometimes partially below the level of the frame, as the frame dents easily) it's impossible to get the office crocodile jaws underneath. :-\

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

IKEA

« Reply #14316 on: March 04, 2016, 05:44:22 AM »
Alas, one of those wouldn't do the trick. The staples are hit into a wooden frame, their business ends don't come through the other side and the top part sits so close to the frame (sometimes partially below the level of the frame, as the frame dents easily) it's impossible to get the office crocodile jaws underneath. :-\
Would needle-nose pliers work?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14317 on: March 04, 2016, 06:03:06 AM »
Would needle-nose pliers work?

Only after I've managed to pry the staples up a little bit with the screwdriver... before that there just isn't anything to grab.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14318 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:51 AM »
I'm not sure I want to know how you managed to cut yourself with a screwdriver, but I kinda do.
I'll spare you the story how I stuck a screwdriver through one of my fingers, then ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14319 on: March 04, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
I'll spare you the story how I stuck a screwdriver through one of my fingers, then ...

...Yes, thank you for sparing us that. D: Because seriously, what. D:
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14320 on: March 04, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »

I wanna hear!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #14321 on: March 04, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »
I wanna hear!
... spoiler time it is, then ...

Spoiler: bit of bleeding • show
It's actually not a long story. There are situations where you'll find that you need to press down hard on a screwdriver, e.g. when the head of the bolt is damaged and the screwdriver insists on slipping out - and that is when the danger of it going someplace else is the highest. In this particular case, I shouldn't have been using a screwdriver in the first place - I was planishing [is that the right term?] a car in the student dorm's parking lot and had nothing else to reach into its wing and around and press the tin from the inside out to remove the dent. Of course I also didn't think it necessary to take the time and remove the fender to get better access.

Sure enough, I slipped - and rammed the blade through the gap between fender and tin and into one finger of the other hand that was holding the undented part of the sheet metal in place (so as not to end up with a shallower but bigger dent). Complete with the greasy dirt it had met with in the open cavities.

My family heals (and coagulates) pretty well, so I pondered the situation for a moment, pulled the screwdriver back out, wrapped the finger in some gauze from the first aid kit, and finished an a-bit-more-sloppy job with just the "strong" hand while making a fist with the injured one, so as to have the bandage create pressure. No more bleeding when I was done, healed without a problem (so I was lucky not to cut a muscle or tendon), I don't even remember what finger exactly it was ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14322 on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »
I don't know why but for some reason it's really hard to pronounce "rear view mirror".

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14323 on: March 04, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »
I don't know why but for some reason it's really hard to pronounce "rear view mirror".

I believe you mean rear vier mrr

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14324 on: March 04, 2016, 01:57:38 PM »
Urge to read Norse sagas rising (warning: mature/graphic language).

How to know you're in one:
- You have started a bloody multi-generational feud by stealing cheese.
- The current feud in which you are embroiled seems likely to be resolved by prodding a blindfolded horse off a cliff with poles. This horse is known for its malice.
- You have enraged a family of Sami wizards, who like to stand on your roof and sing all night.
- You think a summer of raiding and mercenary warfare will curb the violent tendencies of your young relative.
- At the age of three, you were already composing skaldic verse and outdrinking grown men. Your grandparents are very proud of you.
- Everyone you have ever loved, been related to, or looked at flirtatiously during the summer parliament has died in a feud. You are raising your sons to continue the feud.
- If you can compose a sufficiently good poem praising the king, you’re off the hook for killing his infant son.
- No man in Iceland was your equal, so you became a zombie-killing nun instead.

Especially if you have a British accent.
"Reeeview Myrrha"