Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409620 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
Actually the lumping together thing is new to me. I always find the three separated (or with one missing, usually Norwegian). Yes, I read those things, alright? It's a game. I read them out loud to my father and he gets to guess what it means. He's surprisingly good with Polish and Swedish. 

I have a very vague idea of what alkaline means, but I think "super strong cleaning agent" is the best definition ever!

And Eich: over here there's Italian, English, Swedish, Danish, (occasionally) Norwegian, French, Spanish, Polish, Russian, what I think is Serbian, Chinese, do I need to continue or that's enough?
Alkaline is some kind of chemistry word that means... something.  I didn't like chemistry :P
I figured as much.  Europe has so many languages packed so tightly together that it only makes sense for you to have a lot of languages on the packages.  Over here, I'd have to travel 677 miles to get to the nearest non-English speaking location in Louisiana.  And even then, everyone there speaks English, too.
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
You needn't worry about snakes
Erm. I was thinking of the animal we already know will go near that ton of tape ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
I have a very vague idea of what alkaline means
It's what the chemists call the defining property of leach. The opposite of "acidic". Water has a pH of 7, lower values characterize an acid, higher ones a leach.

(Fun fact: The pH scale was invented by the Danish chemist Søren Sørensen.)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:54 PM »
It's what the chemists call the defining property of leach. The opposite of "acidic". Water has a pH of 7, lower values characterize an acid, higher ones a leach.

(Fun fact: The pH scale was invented by the Danish chemist Søren Sørensen.)
Isn't "basic" the opposite of "acidic?"
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »
Isn't "basic" the opposite of "acidic?"

They're the same, to my knowledge.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
They're the same, to my knowledge.
Well I know that ammonia is a base, but an acid would be (well, they all have acid in the name anyway) ribonucleic acid, and that when you mix them together they neutralize out.  Alkalinity is the weird thing.
I'm gonna Wikipedia this.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Well I know that ammonia is a base, but an acid would be (well, they all have acid in the name anyway) ribonucleic acid, and that when you mix them together they neutralize out.  Alkalinity is the weird thing.
I'm gonna Wikipedia this.

You do just that. Isn't internet a lovely invention?

In other news, I've reached 100 posts and I'm the first Jr. Member of the forum!!! So you better get to those definition-thingies quickly, because another couple of users will son reach the number.

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
You do just that. Isn't internet a lovely invention?

In other news, I've reached 100 posts and I'm the first Jr. Member of the forum!!! So you better get to those definition-thingies quickly, because another couple of users will son reach the number.
It's quite the empowering little doo-dad, I must admit.  Apparently, bases and alkali are two names for the same thing, and they're both the opposite of acids.  Freakin' chemists and their nomenclature.

Yeah!  First person to do it!  I'll go ahead and edit the names now (JoB's "Ruler of a Derelict Airport" has been the highest rank for a few days, actually.  It got a good laugh out of me).  Also, I added another rank a couple days ago called "Super Newbie," for people who haven't posted.  Nobody can see it unless they visit one's profile page, but it's so I can get an idea of how many people aren't posting, even though they've made accounts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:20:28 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »
Erm. I was thinking of the animal we already know will go near that ton of tape ...

Heh, that's ok! As snakes are such a casual and common thing in daily lifestyle I just took your advice completely at face value hahaha if you had mentioned giant spiders and the like I probably would've taken that seriously too X'D oh dear I'm such a nutter haha

Kitty danger is pretty low :) she malts fur all the time, I'm sure some Jesus Tape wouldn't pose much of a threat what with her obsessive Emil-grooming ;3
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »
if you had mentioned giant spiders and the like I probably would've taken that seriously too X'D oh dear

Oh dear is right. (For multiple reasons.) We have had so many wolf spiders running around recently. They like to hide in the crack between the window and the grooves?/runners? - the windows slide up to open - and we have to go around and vacuum them up every couple days. (We just moved into a house that was vacant for a while. It had many previous residents who are still reluctant to go.)

But seriously, it's no fun looking up from playing piano to see four long, brown legs poking out of your window.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2014, 06:20:04 AM »
But seriously, it's no fun looking up from playing piano to see four long, brown legs poking out of your window.

Hehe I bet there were some wonky chords getting played XD

At least they're not hanging from the ceiling, slowly lowering over your bed while you sleep >;3

:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

JoB

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »
At least they're not hanging from the ceiling, slowly lowering over your bed while you sleep >;3
Just you wait for the next Internet craze.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2014, 08:32:01 AM »
General discussion thread and all: I'm saaad that I'm completely unable to play certain types of computer games. I just tried skyrim, and ten minutes in I had a bad case of motion sickness and needed to quit. Same, only even worse, with Portal. Curse my labyrinths, I really wanted to play that game!

Nimphy

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
General discussion thread and all: I'm saaad that I'm completely unable to play certain types of computer games. I just tried skyrim, and ten minutes in I had a bad case of motion sickness and needed to quit. Same, only even worse, with Portal. Curse my labyrinths, I really wanted to play that game!

Motion sickness while playing videogames??

Heh, I always wanted to play Skyrim, but my old computer was too slow. No Skyrim, no Assassin's Creed, almost nothing. It didn't bother me, as I could play Oblivion and was generally happy with it, but now that I have a new computer, I can play Skyrim. Fact is... 'all my Oblivion progress got loooooost T_T

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2014, 11:31:58 AM »

Maybe if you play a little bit every now and then you'll gradually get used to it?