Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387930 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13845 on: February 04, 2016, 07:41:07 AM »
In four days' time we're going to be having Bolludagur over here, a holiday for, well, eating bollur. They're a bakery product thing a lot like profiteroles/cream puffs, delicious and filled with so many yummy things and whipped cream. Of course they're already selling them at the bakeries and of course I'm eating some every day... I'll probably put on a few kilos before the week is over but no regrets!

That sounds DELICIOUS and I want some. : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13846 on: February 04, 2016, 07:55:46 AM »
In four days' time we're going to be having Bolludagur over here, a holiday for, well, eating bollur. They're a bakery product thing a lot like profiteroles/cream puffs, delicious and filled with so many yummy things and whipped cream. Of course they're already selling them at the bakeries and of course I'm eating some every day... I'll probably put on a few kilos before the week is over but no regrets!

We have the same thing, although disguised as Fastelaven - remnants of feasting the day before the 40 days fast before easter. Now only the buns and twigs decorated with feathers (originally a fertility ritual but I remember being told in kindergarden that it was for beating the grown-ups  - supposedly fastelavenssøndag was the only day of the year when children were allowed to spank their parents) remain for most people ;D

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13847 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:03 AM »
We have the same thing, although disguised as Fastelaven - remnants of feasting the day before the 40 days fast before easter. Now only the buns and twigs decorated with feathers (originally a fertility ritual but I remember being told in kindergarden that it was for beating the grown-ups  - supposedly fastelavenssøndag was the only day of the year when children were allowed to spank their parents) remain for most people ;D

Icelandic kids do that too, except it's more like a decorated rod than twigs. Then they try to sneak up on their parents and beat them with them screaming "bolla", and they get some bolla if they succeed. The Icelandic tradition has same roots as yours but for some reason Icelanders celebrate on a different day than the rest of the Nordics, no idea why...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13848 on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »

Wait, you need a holiday to eat stuff like that?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13849 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
This sudden need to bake something... ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13850 on: February 04, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
Another storm outside, I got a reminder that in Iceland rainwater can and does attack you from all sides at once. You know the feeling when you walk under something and get a huge droplet of water right in the parting of your hair? Ok, now imagine that feeling but getting hit right inside the ear. I have no idea how this is even possible but I'll never forgive this offence, NEVER. >:(

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13851 on: February 04, 2016, 09:33:26 AM »
In Hungary this period is the "tail of Carnival" (farsang farka) the time of the largest celebrations and feasts. The feast includes not only pastries (though we have some special carnival pastries), but basically everything that you can't eat during the Lent (not many people fast in lent, but everybody loves to eat during carnival)
And we have Fat Thursday - a day dedicated to eating, when most restaurants offer great discounts. Uhmm yes, we do love our food  ::)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13852 on: February 04, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »
In Hungary this period is the "tail of Carnival" (farsang farka) the time of the largest celebrations and feasts. The feast includes not only pastries (though we have some special carnival pastries), but basically everything that you can't eat during the Lent (not many people fast in lent, but everybody loves to eat during carnival)
And we have Fat Thursday - a day dedicated to eating, when most restaurants offer great discounts. Uhmm yes, we do love our food  ::)

And in the Anglosphere (or parts of it at least) we have Shrove (or Pancake) Tuesday. When we eat (wait for it!) pancakes. Which is OK I guess, but bollur and carnival pastries sound so much better!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13853 on: February 04, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
Back in the day the pancakes were to use up 'luxuries' like butter and eggs before the austerity of Lent. Also to provide people with a last good feed before said austerity. Lent does tend to coincide with the 'hungry gap' of agriculture.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13854 on: February 05, 2016, 03:05:38 AM »
The guy who trusted his GPS and ended up in Siglufjörður instead of Reykjavík is now a bit of a celebrity in Iceland. Siglufjörður people showed him the local herring museum and made him try rotten shark (which BBC seems to have confused with skata, another not-so-pleasant fish dish). Back in Reykjavík his hotel had upgraded his single room to a suite and offered him free parking and a dinner by the hotel, mostly because the owner was so amused by his adventure. All's well that ends well! :D

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13855 on: February 05, 2016, 04:52:16 AM »
The guy who trusted his GPS and ended up in Siglufjörður instead of Reykjavík is now a bit of a celebrity in Iceland. Siglufjörður people showed him the local herring museum and made him try rotten shark (which BBC seems to have confused with skata, another not-so-pleasant fish dish). Back in Reykjavík his hotel had upgraded his single room to a suite and offered him free parking and a dinner by the hotel, mostly because the owner was so amused by his adventure. All's well that ends well! :D

Wonderful.
So... will I get discount in hotels and free meals if I act as an exceptionally stupid foreigner? It might worth it  :D
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13856 on: February 05, 2016, 05:26:12 AM »
Wonderful.
So... will I get discount in hotels and free meals if I act as an exceptionally stupid foreigner? It might worth it  :D

Most likely, but you'll have to come up with something new and unbelievable and go through some amount of trouble and embarrassment. Once your "suffering in Iceland"-quota is full you gain full sympathy points!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13857 on: February 05, 2016, 06:21:53 AM »
Could the world stop with Valentine's Day ? No ? Pfff...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13858 on: February 05, 2016, 07:06:26 AM »
Ok, so our GPS-following tourist Noel got lost again trying to find his way with the GPS. This time he was trying to find the Blue Lagoon spa but ended up somewhere else, coincidentally crashing a Blue Lagoon staff meeting...

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13859 on: February 05, 2016, 08:53:45 AM »
The Nordic Hel is quite different to the Christian Hell, but this map of Hellish Place Names in Norway is still pretty cool.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t