Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411643 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13800 on: February 01, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
And if you don't have a cat just leave the window open for a bit, you'll get one. Or at least that's how it works for us, I once thought I heard a weird sound, turned around and saw someone's tail sticking out from behind our coffee table like a periscope...

Could be worse! (Or more adorable)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #13801 on: February 01, 2016, 06:59:10 PM »
Could be worse! (Or more adorable)

Either way, you get tuna-breath.

Just got word, the whole winter festival is closed until the end of the week due to warm temperatures and rain. It's really kinda sad. They're trying to save the ice sculptures, and all the events have been cancelled until I think thursday or friday.

Aw, Vi!  Too bad about the job.   :(  Pity you can't do something wild like dock floats under the trailer (in case the ice breaks) then switch to kayak rental.  It would be beaut if it worked.... 
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13802 on: February 02, 2016, 02:47:14 AM »
I just realized that I've pretty much been lurking without saying anything the past few days... *waves hello*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13803 on: February 02, 2016, 03:10:17 AM »
I just realized that I've pretty much been lurking without saying anything the past few days... *waves hello*

Hello hello! I like to think of forums as a calm summer cottage evening with friends. Not everyone has to talk all the time, some might even go do something else for a while if they like to have a quiet moment all to themselves... it's being in the company of friends that matters more than whether or not you're "actively socializing".

Pffftttt this news article. An American tourist came over and misspelled one road name from Laugavegur to Laugarvegur for his GPS and drove way past Reykjavík, all the way to Siglufjörður five hours to the north. A local lady he asked for help managed to fix his Reykjavík hotel booking and helped him book another room in Siglufjörður, so all was well in the end (he had wanted to travel in Iceland anyway, just maybe not straight after a long flight from New York).

EDIT: now also available in English.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:59:44 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13804 on: February 02, 2016, 03:46:29 AM »
Hello hello! I like to think of forums as a calm summer cottage evening with friends. Not everyone has to talk all the time, some might even go do something else for a while if they like to have a quiet moment all to themselves... it's being in the company of friends that matters more than whether or not you're "actively socializing".

You've actually... nailed on the head what it feels like to hang out here for me. I suppose it's why I didn't notice how little I've been posting, haha. I've already been thinking of the forum as a home, but this is a lot more accurate o: (And just showing up to say good morning and goodnight... like I usually do at home :P)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13805 on: February 02, 2016, 04:08:46 AM »
Yeah, I find the forum a nice place to hang out. My activity tends to be frequent but in erratic bursts, and often at odd hours. Often I'll work for a couple of hours, then sit down to rest, and amuse myself on the forum while doing so. Or if I'm awake during the nights, which is fairly frequent, I'll come here and visit for a bit.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #13806 on: February 02, 2016, 06:42:21 AM »
EDIT: now also available in English.

And that article led me to this one which informs me that Icelandic for "Batman" is "Leðurblökumaðurinn". Which I find amusing because,

a) The first bit looks like "leather bloke", which isn't a terrible description of Batman.
b) I'm coming down with some kind of fever and my brain is now not work so gooding yes?

I think I'd better go to bed.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13807 on: February 02, 2016, 07:29:30 AM »
And that article led me to this one which informs me that Icelandic for "Batman" is "Leðurblökumaðurinn". Which I find amusing because,

a) The first bit looks like "leather bloke", which isn't a terrible description of Batman.
b) I'm coming down with some kind of fever and my brain is now not work so gooding yes?

Well, leður indeed means leather but blaka means to flap, and together these two words make leðurblaka which is Icelandic for a bat. I'm - I'm not sure if that's much better, actually...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13808 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:36 AM »

In Finnish it's "Lepakkomies". "Lepakko" also happens to be slang for "lesbian", though, which makes Batman "Lesbian man".
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13809 on: February 02, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »

*waves from slightly uptown of you today*
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #13810 on: February 02, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
*wanders in* The groundhog didn't see his shadow! Less winter for us!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13811 on: February 02, 2016, 10:28:26 AM »
*wanders in* The groundhog didn't see his shadow! Less winter for us!

Pffff. I'm still waiting for winter to start  ;)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #13812 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »

Would you like some of mine? I have extra. ;V
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #13813 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
Haha, true...we haven't actually had much of a winter, except for the edges of that big snow storm a few weeks ago. But I'm pretty much always rooting for winter to be over, so I don't mind if it goes easy on us this year.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13814 on: February 02, 2016, 10:40:29 AM »
Would you like some of mine? I have extra. ;V

Seriously though. Last year it was like -40°c at this time of year. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 7°c and raining. It's actually breaking a heat record.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help