Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409688 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13260 on: January 02, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »
first i was like "oh, if only there was a way to record the way i say them to demonstrate" and then i remembered vocaroo exists, so here's my take on the names. again, i'm not sure about the finns and reynir but it can't be TOO wrong, can it
(also i don't have a proper microphone so the quality is terrible but whatever)

That was pretty good! Tuuri was the only one mispronounced (Finnish U is more open, like the oo sound in "look") but all the others sounded right. Also fun to hear how Sigrun's name is actually supposed to be pronounced, I tend to pronounce it like the Icelandic Sigrún which is not quite right, I now know.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #13261 on: January 02, 2016, 04:30:29 PM »
You can come visit me and then she can come here too and we can all run around Ottawa and eat beavertails and poutine!
And then we can all go to iceland and show up randomly at laufey's house with cake or something \o/
*Just notices that Laufey is fine with the idea of three persons invading her house* ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13262 on: January 02, 2016, 04:45:39 PM »
BUT THEN
I SAW
tHE AIRPORT MAGAZINE

Hahahahaha this randomly reminded me of this time when a friend of mine had been doing some kind of a spring clean and happened upon a stack of magazines. Noticing one had an article on Iceland she opened it and

BAM Laufey dressed to the nines downtown Reykjavík. I can't even remember when the photo was taken so it must have been aaaages ago. :D

*Just notices that Laufey is fine with the idea of three persons invading her house* ::)

I advice to let me know in advance though, this house is a Moomin house and almost always hosts visitors from somewhere so I might need to go get a few extra chairs. ;D

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13263 on: January 02, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »
Well, I definitely have a better handle on it now than I did last night, so thank you!
happy to help ^______^

That was pretty good! Tuuri was the only one mispronounced (Finnish U is more open, like the oo sound in "look") but all the others sounded right. Also fun to hear how Sigrun's name is actually supposed to be pronounced, I tend to pronounce it like the Icelandic Sigrún which is not quite right, I now know.
eyyyy go me!! good to know that norway(/scandinavia?) are alone with this particular U prononciation, then. I know that's the letter my mom has the most problems with pronouncing in norwegian - especially altering between u, o, and ø. the absolute worst are the words humør (mood) and humor (humour), she always mixes them up.

BAM Laufey dressed to the nines downtown Reykjavík. I can't even remember when the photo was taken so it must have been aaaages ago. :D
whaaaaaaat!!!! that is amazing hahaha
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13264 on: January 02, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »

I advice to let me know in advance though, this house is a Moomin house and almost always hosts visitors from somewhere so I might need to go get a few extra chairs. ;D

I saw this picture and I was like oh look laufey. Wait that is actually laufey! :P

And yes we are coming to invade your house. We can watch hockey and eat cake.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #13265 on: January 02, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »
And yes we are coming to invade your house. We can watch hockey and eat cake.
And knit. And write. Errr. And visit Iceland ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13266 on: January 02, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »

I'm amused and think it's wonderful to have a Moomin house.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #13267 on: January 02, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
Interrupting your regularly scheduled discussion for a short PSA to US-Americans.
I just found this somewhat creepy website while browsing, it's essentially a wide open phone book that lists your age, relatives, current and past addresses, everything that can be gleaned from public and online records. I tested with the few American minnions whose full names I know and yes, you're on there. In case anyone finds that as creepy as I do, this tumblr post has instructions on how to remove yourself from the search.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #13268 on: January 02, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »
I'm amused and think it's wonderful to have a Moomin house.

It's never boring, I can say that. The record amount of people here at one time included five guests besides the regulars of the house, there was not enough space so the living room had to be half curtained off with sheets to allow at least a minimum amount of privacy...

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13269 on: January 02, 2016, 06:57:41 PM »
Interrupting your regularly scheduled discussion for a short PSA to US-Americans.
I just found this somewhat creepy website while browsing, it's essentially a wide open phone book that lists your age, relatives, current and past addresses, everything that can be gleaned from public and online records. I tested with the few American minnions whose full names I know and yes, you're on there. In case anyone finds that as creepy as I do, this tumblr post has instructions on how to remove yourself from the search.

Gah, THANK YOU. (I hate these kinds of websites.)
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #13270 on: January 02, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
Laufey's house sounds like mine, which is tiny and crowded but has a steady flow of people. Guests mostly wind up in swags on the lounge floor, but it works, and I enjoy feeding the multitudes.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13271 on: January 02, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »

Heh I'm on there but my info is wrong. The only thing it's got right is my name and one place I used to live. It's probably messed up due to me moving around so much. This also happens when I google myself. None of the results look related because they're from all over north america and it looks like they are different people. :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13272 on: January 02, 2016, 08:09:43 PM »
And knit. And write. Errr. And visit Iceland ! :D

So far the cake and visiting Iceland win over hockey, writing, and knitting.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

« Reply #13273 on: January 02, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »
So far the cake and visiting Iceland win over hockey, writing, and knitting.
I would write or knit while Vi would watch sport because I don't like that, but shhh... ::) Of course discovering the country is the first reason ! :D Something is telling me I would be so enthusiast !

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #13274 on: January 02, 2016, 11:00:41 PM »

*plays with it.* hmm. This is weird. I don't know what I think of it.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: