Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410832 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #13095 on: December 24, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »
Haiz: I had a good giggle over your little teaparty! I tend to have a lot of such conversations myself, these years. My husband describes them as my "Whatever became of old so-and-so and what did they die of?" conversations.  And usually then politely absents himself.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #13096 on: December 24, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
I FINALLY HAVE HOLIDAYS.

Admittedly, only 10 days of it (including today), but HOLIDAYS.

I haven't had a proper rest since Auguuuuust... *collapses*

Merry Christmas, all. *crawls into chat/gaming cave and doesn't come out unless forced by social conventions*
Am notified of private messages via email.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #13097 on: December 24, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »
I guess you'll love Mirror Mirror, then.
i've seen it, it was pretty good! but it can't beat the nostalgia of czech cinderella.

I love that movie!!! I made Gwenno watch it in November because it was close enough to count for Christmas. :)
aaa whaat!!! this is the first time i've heard of anyone outside norway and/or czech having seen it O:

Haiz: I had a good giggle over your little teaparty! I tend to have a lot of such conversations myself, these years. My husband describes them as my "Whatever became of old so-and-so and what did they die of?" conversations.  And usually then politely absents himself.
haaa... so old people DO chat about these things, and not just former hospital employees. good to know. good to know.

ok PHEW just had a last minute gift-wrapping session. of course, I've wrapped all my gifts long before, but my entire family seems to need my help to wrap theirs. also, for some reason, my grandparents only have a broad tape in their house, which makes cutting up pieces of tape quite the hassle. i was this close to proclaiming the tape my arch enemy - except that spot is taken by printers, and not even hard-to-cut tape can meet that standard of evil.
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #13098 on: December 24, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »
I FINALLY HAVE HOLIDAYS.

Admittedly, only 10 days of it (including today), but HOLIDAYS.

I haven't had a proper rest since Auguuuuust... *collapses*

Merry Christmas, all. *crawls into chat/gaming cave and doesn't come out unless forced by social conventions*

Wooooo! Congratz Len you've earned it! *collapses also and enjoys break*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13099 on: December 24, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »
Sure! I don't know when/if I'll actually manage to have enough time to write the thing, but if I do, I'd be happy to post a translated summary or something. Anyway, the basic gist of the thesis is that most SSSS characters with nurturing roles are male (Mikkel being the cook and medic, Emil's interactions with Lalli and his cousins, Onni being protective of Tuuri and Lalli, and if we count the prologue characters, there's also Aksel being such a worrywart about his grandmother) and that's very interesting and cool and worth looking into.

Ooh, yesyesyes.

I think it could be extended both ways as well: there's Tuuri as the engineer who's driving the big tank, and Sigrun who's first on the front lines and puts her life on the line to protect the people she's with. One thing that just occurred to me is an application to the battle with Leaftroll, where Sigrun put her own body between Reynir and his attacker while Mikkel yanked him backwards out of the way. Without Sigrun and Mikkel's protective/proactive and nurturing/defensive actions, respectively, Reynir probably would have been bitten when Leaftroll went for him. And while Mikkel's role in that is easy to overlook because it wasn't as flashy and he wasn't the one who ended up bleeding, it still made the difference between Reynir getting away with a scratch and them needing to shoot Reynir in the head.

Anyway, this is way outside of my field so I can't be sure whether I'm using the correct lingo, but I think that I'm getting my point across.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13100 on: December 24, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
aaa whaat!!! this is the first time i've heard of anyone outside norway and/or czech having seen it O:
*ahem*

It was filmed in Babelsberg, after all ...

(Edit to quote IMDb's trivia section: "Shown on Norwegian, German, Swiss, Czech and Slovak television every Christmas.")
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:50:20 AM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13101 on: December 24, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
PurpleWyrm, I am VERY curious about that. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Another thing with the protectiveness is Agneta, on the Dalahasten. She seemed to fill kind of a Sigrun/Mikkel role -- stayed relatively calm despite the giant eating her train and the weird children warning her, worked out a good course of action, and (with the help of her train-guard buddies) successfully defended the thing.
There's also the support team -- Trond is kind of sketchy from an ethical standpoint, but he'll pull all of his weird favours to ensure mission success. Siv seems to lose hope early on, too.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Nietos

« Reply #13102 on: December 24, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
There are actually more instances of that. Lalli counts as a protector, too, and likely occasionally brings food on the table as well, though we haven't seen that happen yet. Then there's Gunnar (though his role in pre-Rash Dalsnes is tied to the boat), and Stigs patience with his parents lasting longer than Ulrikas (but they are his parents, after all).

On the other hand, we have Sigrun being the first and apparently so far only main character to even think of hunting for food, and the y0 Finnish family had only Eino as a proactive male in the first place ... "against" his two sisters, wife, and the "remote competition" of Helmi running a restaurant ...
These are all excellent points! I didn't remember Gunnar and Stig at all, so those are really good additions. I need to think about Lalli more to form a coherent opinion, but that's an interesting way of looking at him.
Ooh, yesyesyes.

I think it could be extended both ways as well: there's Tuuri as the engineer who's driving the big tank, and Sigrun who's first on the front lines and puts her life on the line to protect the people she's with. One thing that just occurred to me is an application to the battle with Leaftroll, where Sigrun put her own body between Reynir and his attacker while Mikkel yanked him backwards out of the way. Without Sigrun and Mikkel's protective/proactive and nurturing/defensive actions, respectively, Reynir probably would have been bitten when Leaftroll went for him. And while Mikkel's role in that is easy to overlook because it wasn't as flashy and he wasn't the one who ended up bleeding, it still made the difference between Reynir getting away with a scratch and them needing to shoot Reynir in the head.

Anyway, this is way outside of my field so I can't be sure whether I'm using the correct lingo, but I think that I'm getting my point across.
This definitely works both ways! I'd thought about Sigrun's role (since it's fairly easy to spot) before and I find it really refreshing that she's the main physical force of the crew (and the most experienced military-wise) while also being a good captain who can take care of her crew (see how Sigrun handled Emil during their first book-salvaging mission) without falling to the stereotype of a "tough woman who's so tough she's as tough as any man and did I mention she can kick any man's ass, she's the toughest". On the other hand, I hadn't thought much about Tuuri since it's more low-key*, but yeah, her areas of expertise are coded masculine (like you said, engineering and driving).
Anyway, your point about Sigrun and Mikkel's actions in the scene is spot-on, too.

*I need to do more research before I can comment on the significance of her academic prowess since that can be portrayed as a masculine or feminine.
Another thing with the protectiveness is Agneta, on the Dalahasten. She seemed to fill kind of a Sigrun/Mikkel role -- stayed relatively calm despite the giant eating her train and the weird children warning her, worked out a good course of action, and (with the help of her train-guard buddies) successfully defended the thing.
There's also the support team -- Trond is kind of sketchy from an ethical standpoint, but he'll pull all of his weird favours to ensure mission success. Siv seems to lose hope early on, too.
Heh, Agneta is yet another character I hadn't remembered and thought of at all. :D; Good points!

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #13103 on: December 24, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
My family, 90% of the year: *waves small Norwegian flag*
My family, Christmas: *covers entire house in spritz cookies and krumkaker* JA SURE YOU BETCHA IT'S TIME FOR JULEKAKE
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #13104 on: December 24, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
My family, 90% of the year: *waves small Norwegian flag*
My family, Christmas: *covers entire house in spritz cookies and krumkaker* JA SURE YOU BETCHA IT'S TIME FOR JULEKAKE

Hahaha yup. Right now we are having a mix of Scandinavian desserts and Middle Eastern appetizers. Spritz and hummus on the table. My family has the oddest combinations of things sometimes. Just like put ALL the traditional food. And ALL the languages. Our family holidays could be UN meetings.... :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #13105 on: December 24, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »
*ahem*

It was filmed in Babelsberg, after all ...

(Edit to quote IMDb's trivia section: "Shown on Norwegian, German, Swiss, Czech and Slovak television every Christmas.")
aa okay okay okay. I still don't understand how Gwenno came to know of it, though!

anyway I just saw the movie and i'm so happy hahaha. TRUE LOVE: throw a snowball at the prince. just do it
oh, and a side effect of having seen the force awakens three times within a week: "WHAT IF CINDERELLA WAS A JEDI"
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:20:53 PM by Haiz »

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #13106 on: December 24, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
Hahaha yup. Right now we are having a mix of Scandinavian desserts and Middle Eastern appetizers. Spritz and hummus on the table. My family has the oddest combinations of things sometimes. Just like put ALL the traditional food. And ALL the languages. Our family holidays could be UN meetings.... :P
we're holding two separate smorgasbords in the next like week and a half send help

I don't have much of the combinations thing? idk
(although last time we had a smorgasbord someone brought chinese food, does that count?)

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #13107 on: December 24, 2015, 04:45:24 PM »
we're holding two separate smorgasbords in the next like week and a half send help

I don't have much of the combinations thing? idk
(although last time we had a smorgasbord someone brought chinese food, does that count?)

We are having one tonight and one tomorrow night. When my other aunt comes she brings Japanese pastries, but she and my cousins are in Japan this christmas. My mom basically runs the club for moms who move to the area from different countries so whenever we have parties our house is full of her friends who are from Scotland, France, Spain, Germany, Canada etc. And when you're talking to them all of them speak English but everyone is switching languages to talk to their own kids and my mom told everyone I'm learning german so that means I guess I'll be slaughtering speaking german with her new friend from germany...

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #13108 on: December 24, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
This definitely works both ways! I'd thought about Sigrun's role (since it's fairly easy to spot) before and I find it really refreshing that she's the main physical force of the crew (and the most experienced military-wise) while also being a good captain who can take care of her crew (see how Sigrun handled Emil during their first book-salvaging mission) without falling to the stereotype of a "tough woman who's so tough she's as tough as any man and did I mention she can kick any man's ass, she's the toughest".

I find Sigrun on the whole to be a really refreshing character, not least for being a woman action hero who can be goofy and badass by turns. And I'll confess, it took me a lot longer than it should have to warm up to her, not least because the last goofy action hero I saw was this guy:

And I'm aware of how odd this comparison probably is, but it's one I can write essays on.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #13109 on: December 24, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
I find Sigrun on the whole to be a really refreshing character, not least for being a woman action hero who can be goofy and badass by turns.
OK BUT REALLY THOUGH this is so important to me. most ~*Strong Female Characters*~ are always so... serious and perfect, y'know? there aren't any female jack sparrows out there. *bangs hands on table* MORE FEMALE JACK SPARROWS
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:20:19 PM by Haiz »