Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2388024 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1200 on: November 09, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
I had a friend from Chile in high school, and she would tell us about her Christmas beach trips every year, and it was always very unusual to think about.  Partly because every Christmas movie ever involves snow and fireplaces, and partly because during Christmas time I'm used to it being cold and being near fire places. 

Farm work is just... I have respect for you and your family.  I can barely do yard work without feeling like my arms are about to fly out of their sockets.  Hmm.  (Possibly horrible suggestion) If anyone's willing to sell the farm one day, that would open up the possibility of vacation time.
It's just become normal to us down here to be bombarded with snowy tv specials, cards and decorations, winter fashion etc when it's summer X'D
I'd love to have Christmas in the northern hemisphere one day :P with real snow and everything!

Heh, it would take a Västerström-level financial catastrophe to put the farm up for sale, at least before I inherit it. I'm not sure if I could bare to sell it and watch it become a rural suburb/elderly home city estate thing. It splits perfectly into thirds- one for each sister, but I'm not sure if I could handle the fruit industry on my own. So I would either sell it to another orcharding family, or turn it into a huge garden/park or something, maybe for weddings and stuff. :P
My dad likes to say "Yer can only get a proper holiday when yer dead." U___U

EDIT: I just poked my head into the "who's online" section and saw that "Unknown Action" (which always made me laugh because I imagine them doing interpretive dance) has been changed to "Nothing, or nothing you can see...." And nearly died after inhaling the post-exam-milkshake I was drinking.
Nearly got my permanent holiday sooner than I planned O_____O
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:04:51 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1201 on: November 09, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
It's just become normal to us down here to be bombarded with snowy tv specials, cards and decorations, winter fashion etc when it's summer X'D
I'd love to have Christmas in the northern hemisphere one day :P with real snow and everything!

Heh, it would take a Västerström-level financial catastrophe to put the farm up for sale, at least before I inherit it. I'm not sure if I could bare to sell it and watch it become a rural suburb/elderly home city estate thing. It splits perfectly into thirds- one for each sister, but I'm not sure if I could handle the fruit industry on my own. So I would either sell it to another orcharding family, or turn it into a huge garden/park or something, maybe for weddings and stuff. :P

EDIT: I just poked my head into the "who's online" section and saw that "Unknown Action" (which always made me laugh because I imagine them doing interpretive dance) has been changed to "Nothing, or nothing you can see...." And nearly died after inhaling the post-exam-milkshake I was drinking.
Nearly got my permanent holiday sooner than I planned O_____O
Was it me, or a guest?  That might be important, cause I just deleted a bot account that's been trying to get in for several weeks, under the radar (and totally not doing interpretive dance with my laptop shut).

He'll get a holiday when his kids take over.  Or, is that when he dies?  My dad's in a similar situation right now.  He doesn't have the permanence of a farm to think about, but he's only got a few employees right now, and some of them... aren't very bright.  Like, zero common sense.  And most of the ones who are smart don't speak English very well.  He doesn't have anyone who can really take over for him, and he's not going to be able to retire for a while.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1202 on: November 09, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
Was it me, or a guest?  That might be important, cause I just deleted a bot account that's been trying to get in for several weeks, under the radar (and totally not doing interpretive dance with my laptop shut).

He'll get a holiday when his kids take over.  Or, is that when he dies?  My dad's in a similar situation right now.  He doesn't have the permanence of a farm to think about, but he's only got a few employees right now, and some of them... aren't very bright.  Like, zero common sense.  And most of the ones who are smart don't speak English very well.  He doesn't have anyone who can really take over for him, and he's not going to be able to retire for a while.

It was you this time, but I have noticed guests doing it too lately. The unknown action, not the new unseen action :P

My dad is in the same boat, we go through soooooo maaaaany workers, most of them foreign (because the local ones are rude and have no cares/respect for the work etc) and their visas run out or their gap year ends or they're already inheriting a car factory and a castle in Germany or something (true. He had a Ferrari too, and a yacht with like, 3 masts) or they're too old, or just started a family etc. Maybe dad does have plans to sell the farm, but only after he's made enough for everyone to live comfortably. I think that's his plan.

The current farmhand is great, he's educated and smart, really nice, and a hard worker. He's terrified of cows though, to the point where he nearly cries but he keeps going anyway ;u; poor thing :P

Your dad would want to be extra careful if he's considering retirement (is he oldish? Or do you guys get to retire earlier??), considering his line of work O___O

Edit: I'm pretty sure you guys can retire earlier. So I assume he's not old. Phew! I was kinda worried there for a minute!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:33:40 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1203 on: November 10, 2014, 07:13:18 AM »

Reminds me that there is actually a manga about Japanese farmers. If there's anything it taught me it's that being in the line to inherit a farm is never an easy position to be in.

I usually sit around the beach house and play guitar, because the shore is boring if nobody wants to swim (and nobody ever does).

That seems to be a common answer from you: "I'd rather just sit somewhere, anywhere, just playing my tunes man". I'm starting to picture you as Secret Tunnel Man from Avatar.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1204 on: November 10, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »
Today we started the fight :kex's family against the "Deutsche Bahn" (DB, German Train corporation) round one. At the weekend we received a neat yellow letter informing us that we had not paid for a contract. The sender did not bother on informing us about the contract's content or why there is an outside corporation collecting the money plus a nice little fee plus costs for a local court. So we contacted the DB - their answer: The other corporation wrote you already, then we won't tell you what the matter is. They do. We called the corporation and they said: You received several letters before so you are informed on the matter. Uhm. No we didn't and that is the problem. The first letters should have arrived in January. The last before bringing the case to court in March. What happened in between nobody knows but will clarified in round two. This will take place during the next two weeks so the fun will last for a while. We reached at last the period where we have to answer the letter by either paying or just refusing (which would add further costs because the court would need to take further action...) So yay!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1205 on: November 10, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
Today we started the fight :kex's family against the "Deutsche Bahn" (DB, German Train corporation) round one. At the weekend we received a neat yellow letter informing us that we had not paid for a contract. The sender did not bother on informing us about the contract's content or why there is an outside corporation collecting the money plus a nice little fee plus costs for a local court. So we contacted the DB - their answer: The other corporation wrote you already, then we won't tell you what the matter is. They do. We called the corporation and they said: You received several letters before so you are informed on the matter. Uhm. No we didn't and that is the problem. The first letters should have arrived in January. The last before bringing the case to court in March. What happened in between nobody knows but will clarified in round two. This will take place during the next two weeks so the fun will last for a while. We reached at last the period where we have to answer the letter by either paying or just refusing (which would add further costs because the court would need to take further action...) So yay!

So.... who won Round 1?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1206 on: November 10, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
Great, just great. DB messes up a lot in the last time. "DB" also looks like a shocked emoticon. I wonder why I pay for a BahnCard...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1207 on: November 10, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
So.... who won Round 1?

I fear at the moment this round leaves both sides even. Though we could gather some more time.

Great, just great. DB messes up a lot in the last time. "DB" also looks like a shocked emoticon. I wonder why I pay for a BahnCard...

At least in Northrhine-Westphalia there is an organisation which supports customers or former customers to be of the DB. But I think we have to take their help only in case round two goes bad ;).

Hehe, the emoticon is a clear sign.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1208 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »

I think train services in general are very prone to messing up both administratively and in actually getting the trains to run. The Norwegian national railway messes up all the time in various departments. I've also had to sleep like a hobo at two occasions in the UK because the trains stopped running for various reasons.

Reminds me: One thing that amuses me is how people further south seems to "lose it" when there's snowfall outside of season. It might be presented as overly extreme by the media, but it seems like schools just close, trains stop running and panic prevails.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1209 on: November 10, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »

Reminds me: One thing that amuses me is how people further south seems to "lose it" when there's snowfall outside of season. It might be presented as overly extreme by the media, but it seems like schools just close, trains stop running and panic prevails.

It amuses me as well *putsoutbeingsomewhatold*: As I was a young girl teachers expected you to fight your way to school if there was snow, in most garages skid chains were to be found somewhere and my parents would laugh at me if I even thought about asking them to drive me to school. In the last 6 years even teachers start to wince at falling snow hoping to get a day off.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1210 on: November 10, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
It amuses me as well *putsoutbeingsomewhatold*: As I was a young girl teachers expected you to fight your way to school if there was snow, in most garages skid chains were to be found somewhere and my parents would laugh at me if I even thought about asking them to drive me to school. In the last 6 years even teachers start to wince at falling snow hoping to get a day off.
A thing that happened to me during my school time. During that one heavy winter a few years ago, a lot of the busses where cancelled because they couldn't get traction on the ice and simply couldn't climb the mountains anymore. So I stood freezing on the bus station while wastching how more and more of the students who waited with me went home. At last my bus came, and I was one of the few who went to school with it. The other lucky bastards just got a day off.
The biggest problem was though that I came to school, but not back home. At last ALL busses had been cancelled, and I was stuck in my school town. My grandpa had to come and save me out of the cold and dark (because my mom was in the other direction at work). Neither of us was pleased that day.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1211 on: November 10, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »
A thing that happened to me during my school time. During that one heavy winter a few years ago, a lot of the busses where cancelled because they couldn't get traction on the ice and simply couldn't climb the mountains anymore. So I stood freezing on the bus station while wastching how more and more of the students who waited with me went home. At last my bus came, and I was one of the few who went to school with it. The other lucky bastards just got a day off.
The biggest problem was though that I came to school, but not back home. At last ALL busses had been cancelled, and I was stuck in my school town. My grandpa had to come and save me out of the cold and dark (because my mom was in the other direction at work). Neither of us was pleased that day.

I remember that one. About four or three years ago? All schools got the day off but though it was clear that no more than about two or three kids would show up the head mistress stated the importance of doing your duty as a official. How typically German. So nearly all colleagues where there herding about four children (out of three hundred). So we took all slighs we could find and went sledging. It was awesome :D

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1212 on: November 10, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »

Was this the great winter (fimbulwinter as the Norse called them) of 2010? I remember that, people all over Europe were freaking out.

(Also: holy smokes, so many guests! We just passed the record for people browsing the forum).

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1213 on: November 10, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Was this the great winter (fimbulwinter as the Norse called them) of 2010? I remember that, people all over Europe were freaking out.

(Also: holy smokes, so many guests! We just passed the record for people browsing the forum).
Yeah, that one. What does "fimbul" mean? (If you tell me I can translate your name.)

And, oh, holy, crows, now I noticed them, too. I guess that are all new readers... Wow, this comic is really getting popular.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1214 on: November 10, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
Yeah, that one. What does "fimbul" mean? (If you tell me I can translate your name.)

And, oh, holy, crows, now I noticed them, too. I guess that are all new readers... Wow, this comic is really getting popular.

I was just thinking of that, too. Many new readers. Many super-newbies, as well. I don't mind having a bigger community, and I love it when it comes to people like (for example) you and Piney, who talk with us a lot even though you're relatively new. But a lot of new readers just lurk around and have super-newbie accounts. Hmmm.

Things new readers won't get:

- Why we all have animal-themed avatars.
- The "Surpriiiiiisee! I mean--- acciiideeent!" references.
- The "He's so similar to Hannu" comments
- The entire "Now comes Puppy Fox/Swan of Tuonela" comments.
- What do we mean when we say "Half-tailed cat"
- What is a kantele and why are we all excited about it
- That Braidy is a guy, Tuuri is a girl, and all of our frustration when someone goes through the rite of passage. AGAIN.
- Etcetera
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: