Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410245 times)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12765 on: December 04, 2015, 02:10:32 AM »
Unrelated to current topic, but I have a thought.
So you know that hairstyle that's short on the back and sides and a little longer and dyed on top? In 45 years, will that be old people hair/ "oh wow did people really do that, dad"/mullet equivalent?
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12766 on: December 04, 2015, 02:19:02 AM »
*sass mode instantly reactivates* And ninjas.

The world doesn't lose a great ninja in me anyway so... headdress here I come!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12767 on: December 04, 2015, 02:42:32 AM »
The world doesn't lose a great ninja in me anyway so... headdress here I come!

For some reason I read "headdress" and pictured you as one of those frilled lizards. I think I need some sleep. ::)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12768 on: December 04, 2015, 02:53:52 AM »
For some reason I read "headdress" and pictured you as one of those frilled lizards. I think I need some sleep. ::)

*googles up frilled lizard*
Yeeees, I approve. ;D

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12769 on: December 04, 2015, 08:52:26 AM »
*googles up frilled lizard*
Yeeees, I approve. ;D

You mean the Pope?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12770 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »
Today's discovering : sending a parcel to a country which have customs when your doesn't have :D

"Description". Well, it's supposed to be surprises, but okay, I understand you have to know what is inside. Maybe the recipients are used not to read this paper in order to keep the surprises. Especially when the answer to my question "Must I write it in English ?" was negative. I can do it, you know ? But okay, French...
"Number". Okay, you don't like the concept of surprises at all, isn't it ?
"Price". NOW it's embarrassing ! Who offer something and let the person know how much it could have costed ? Especially me who buy things because it could make a friend happy and doesn't pay attention to the total price. And you really think I remember the price for everything I bought ? It was only a small thing, and an other small thing, and this one maybe less, and... oh. Okay. Hi, I'm the girl who sometimes spend a lot of money in swaps and is perfectly fine with that !

Bonus, after ten minutes (No, I don't have the phone number of the person I'm sending this, do you really think everybody call everybody with such a distance ? No, I can't give you my email address, I don't have enough space for that an my address is only firstname.lastname @ xxxx.xx) and verify weigh.
Post office lady : It will be (more than what I can have expected).
Me : O_o
Post office lady : Yeah, it's because they have customs duties :/ and it's even worst than US with the recent events.

What an adventure ! ^^ (Precision : I'm not complaining, only sure it would have been funny to see all of that and listen to my inner voice making comments at every new thing to declare :D)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #12771 on: December 04, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
Today's discovering : sending a parcel to a country which have customs when your doesn't have :D

"Description". Well, it's supposed to be surprises, but okay, I understand you have to know what is inside. Maybe the recipients are used not to read this paper in order to keep the surprises. Especially when the answer to my question "Must I write it in English ?" was negative. I can do it, you know ? But okay, French...
"Number". Okay, you don't like the concept of surprises at all, isn't it ?
"Price". NOW it's embarrassing ! Who offer something and let the person know how much it could have costed ? Especially me who buy things because it could make a friend happy and doesn't pay attention to the total price. And you really think I remember the price for everything I bought ? It was only a small thing, and an other small thing, and this one maybe less, and... oh. Okay. Hi, I'm the girl who sometimes spend a lot of money in swaps and is perfectly fine with that !

Bonus, after ten minutes (No, I don't have the phone number of the person I'm sending this, do you really think everybody call everybody with such a distance ? No, I can't give you my email address, I don't have enough space for that an my address is only firstname.lastname @ xxxx.xx) and verify weigh.
Post office lady : It will be (more than what I can have expected).
Me : O_o
Post office lady : Yeah, it's because they have customs duties :/ and it's even worst than US with the recent events.

What an adventure ! ^^ (Precision : I'm not complaining, only sure it would have been funny to see all of that and listen to my inner voice making comments at every new thing to declare :D)
Yes, sending international parcels is quite complicated.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12772 on: December 04, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »
Unrelated to current topic, but I have a thought.
So you know that hairstyle that's short on the back and sides and a little longer and dyed on top? In 45 years, will that be old people hair/ "oh wow did people really do that, dad"/mullet equivalent?
I was thinking about the same thing just recently hahahaa. I think to some extent this style has existed in punk style cricles for a while, but I'm seeing a LOT of "shaved everywhere except very top of the head" styles nowadays. Doesn't even have to be dyed. I think that might be the Hair Thing we'll remember from the 2010's

you can't just mark it as gift? O: gifts are usually custom-free
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12773 on: December 04, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »

Gahhh I'm sorry that was such an adventure for you. Hopefully it didn't cost too much to mail it. D: I'm used to the forms, since I've sent a lot of international mail over time, but the first time I did it, I found it overwhelming.

And yeah, I usually don't look at the description details on the packages I receive, it's far better to be surprised. >3>
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12774 on: December 04, 2015, 02:41:58 PM »
woops, I spoke to quickly. I just learnt that even if you tick the "gift" section on the custom note thing, you still gotta write content and value.

I just sent a batch of calendars (not all of them, sadly, just the couple copies I had now) and was surprised at how cheap the total shipping price was - until i realized that the receipt only listed half the parcels. the post office can be happy i am such a Good and Honest person that reminds them of stuff like "the envelopes are huge and will cost extra" and "I haven't paid for everything yet". i could've saved so much money on other people's forgetfulness
you'll know where to find me.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12775 on: December 04, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12776 on: December 04, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
OKAY that was an interesting bus ride home.

First of all someone's car had broken in a roundabout and because there's so much snow everywhere the bus couldn't go around the car, there was just no space. After a ten min wait the car was towed and we got to continue - or so I thought.

We turned onto a smaller street where the snow was piled high on both sides of the road, and one part of it was really narrow. A jeepling was approaching from the opposite direction and stopped before the narrow part, so the bus driver must have thought he was going to let her pass first and drove on... but when the bus was already in the narrow part the jeepling driver drove on and ended up getting his car wedged between the bus and the snow bank. Neither could move, not the jeepling nor the bus.

A long wait ensued before the police came along. They took our details and we explained what had happened, the jeepling driver was being a total butt about the situation the whole time, trying to insist it was the bus driver's fault somehow. Btw when they were towing him out they managed to ram the front of his car against the bus, hard, which felt kinda - well, maybe not deserved but somewhere along the lines of poetic justice anyway. Eventually his car was freed and we could continue which was awesome because Rvík city buses aren't very warm and I was quickly turning into an icicle.

Now I'm home and fed with pizza because no way was I ever going to start cooking food after all that, and this beer tastes better than usually. Next: shower, I'm still a bit frozen.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12777 on: December 04, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
Yeah, some drivers are just idiots. Happy defrosting!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12778 on: December 04, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »
OKAY that was an interesting bus ride home.

First of all someone's car had broken in a roundabout and because there's so much snow everywhere the bus couldn't go around the car, there was just no space. After a ten min wait the car was towed and we got to continue - or so I thought.

"Jeepling" sounds like some kind of mischievous and annoying fantasy creature.

Anyway. That sounds like quite an ordeal. ;p I do not envy ya.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12779 on: December 04, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
Switching from manual to automatic is easier than the other way 'round. (Also, usually improving fuel economy these days.) The simplistic approach is that your right hand stops touching the stick, and your left foot stops operating the disappeared pedal, and that's that.

Some people find it difficult to remember not to "do manual" and get ideas like tying their left shoelace to the seat to "remind" them not to use that foot anymore. They usually accept that that's a bad idea after forgetting the first time to undo the lace before getting out of the car.
This reminds me of one time I was driving an automatic and I was going to stop at an intersection. Because of muscle memory my left foot started to press the clutch but it wasn't there of course so I started to look for it and found the left side of the double wide brake pedal instead and pressed it all the way down.  ::)
Pretentious? Moi?