Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387591 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12750 on: December 03, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
Yes, most definitely. *hands cup of tea*
*Makes an exchange with her own cup of tea*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #12751 on: December 03, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
*Makes an exchange with her own cup of tea*

Ooo! Tea! Thank you.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12752 on: December 03, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »
LOOK HERE YOU that's a Finnish style Medieval dress! I'm just being, uh, Laufey/Louhi. The... jötunn kind. Rather known for having a really straight-forward attitude towards things she wants to have.

You need one of these at your belt then.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12753 on: December 03, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #12754 on: December 03, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »
You need one of these at your belt then.
Hooooooo, damascus knife ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #12755 on: December 03, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »
Hahaha fun fact most of the ancient dresses already come with a knife!

I can understand that.  A good knife is extremely useful!
Hooooooo, damascus knife ! :D

But Damascus is a looooong way from Finland!

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Mélusine

« Reply #12756 on: December 03, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »
But Damascus is a looooong way from Finland!
Nooooooo, the technique to... ah, I'll be unable to explain that in English, but my best friend's best friend was doing this kind of blade when we were seventeen or eighteen years old (which was absolutely amazing). I saw several knives or sword made with damascus steel, it's wonderful.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #12757 on: December 03, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Nooooooo, the technique to... ah, I'll be unable to explain that in English, but my best friend's best friend was doing this kind of blade when we were seventeen or eighteen years old (which was absolutely amazing). I saw several knives or sword made with damascus steel, it's wonderful.

Oh, I know, I'm just being silly.

You'll eventually come to recognize "silly" as my default state.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12758 on: December 03, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »
LOOK HERE YOU that's a Finnish style Medieval dress! I'm just being, uh, Laufey/Louhi. The... jötunn kind. Rather known for having a really straight-forward attitude towards things she wants to have.

H-ha, of course I knew that, I was just teasing. That actuallu sounds like a pretty interesting villain concept though, if a little weird (steal all the cakes).
Do you have a costume like that? If you do you need to make a Levan polka video sometime. Don't ask, just .. trust me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12759 on: December 03, 2015, 03:30:38 PM »
H-ha, of course I knew that, I was just teasing. That actuallu sounds like a pretty interesting villain concept though, if a little weird (steal all the cakes).
Do you have a costume like that? If you do you need to make a Levan polka video sometime. Don't ask, just .. trust me.

Not yet, stress on the word yet because I badly want a Medieval lady's dress and I'll have one eventually, not necessarily one of the national dress cavalcade but something similar. That said my own national dress is of the ancient dress repertoire, an Aino-dress.

If I made a long wool dress and a linen serkur to go underneath it would be appropriate...

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12760 on: December 03, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Heh, conversely you'd have a hard time getting me to drive an automatic! They are a mystery to me, I don't think I've ever even seen one o_o How do they even work? What are you supposed to do when you're driving?
Switching from manual to automatic is easier than the other way 'round. (Also, usually improving fuel economy these days.) The simplistic approach is that your right hand stops touching the stick, and your left foot stops operating the disappeared pedal, and that's that.

Some people find it difficult to remember not to "do manual" and get ideas like tying their left shoelace to the seat to "remind" them not to use that foot anymore. They usually accept that that's a bad idea after forgetting the first time to undo the lace before getting out of the car.

I've switched from manual to automatic about a year ago (to a DSG, to be precise), I found it worthwhile to do change my using the accelerator somewhat, after all. (Not that it would have been strictly necessary.) An automatic gearbox doesn't see the upcoming traffic situation, so at times, you do know better what gear it should go to. With seven gears, it usually is possible to lift or lower the foot a bit to the point that the gearbox follows suit, without reaching for the stick (which would allow me to do an outright override).

Also, pressing down the accelerator normally (say, from a standstill at a light turning green in medium-dense traffic), I found that the automatic gearbox will take about a second or a little less before the car actually begins to accelerate. I've begun to hit the pedal that much earlier. Will probably have to get rid of that habit real fast when(ever) I switch back to manual.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12761 on: December 03, 2015, 05:01:41 PM »
Pffffftttttt for added difficulty levels try driving a 2CV, the gears are in a different order than normally. One of the funniest moments around that car was watching a vehicle inspector try to drive it for a bit, which basically went "ooops reversing, ok he got it now" *boing* "nope" *boing - boing - HRRNNNN* "haha he skipped one" *boing*. He gave up quickly, possibly thinking he wasn't being paid enough to do that with us smiling happily at him all the while.

Heee I'll pass on the 2CV. I have absolutely no need of bumping more cars, my own, rented, or other people's, thankyouverymuch. (Hm, my comment rate of is somewhat slow for replying to this fast-moving thread :-))

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12762 on: December 03, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
Not yet, stress on the word yet because I badly want a Medieval lady's dress and I'll have one eventually, not necessarily one of the national dress cavalcade but something similar. That said my own national dress is of the ancient dress repertoire, an Aino-dress.

If I made a long wool dress and a linen serkur to go underneath it would be appropriate...

Nice dress there prillarguri, I really like the hachigane. What do you mean Aino? As in the Japanese native tribe?

Heee I'll pass on the 2CV. I have absolutely no need of bumping more cars, my own, rented, or other people's, thankyouverymuch. (Hm, my comment rate of is somewhat slow for replying to this fast-moving thread :-))

Maybe you need a Renault Twizy, that think couldn't put a dent in anything even if it tried.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12763 on: December 03, 2015, 05:50:48 PM »
Nice dress there prillarguri, I really like the hachigane. What do you mean Aino? As in the Japanese native tribe?

PFFFTTTTT ok with that pose I was prolly asking for it. Aino is literally just the name of this dress - most Finnish national dresses point to the area they're supposedly from, but Aino-dress is a bit special in this regard that it's just named after a mythological hero. It was the first one of the ancient dress series and designed after a grave find (the original was much longer though, the hem got shorter with changing fashions)(which is a pity because ankle length looks way better imo)

I'll shed the hachigane asap tho, ribbons are for young girls...

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12764 on: December 03, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »
PFFFTTTTT ok with that pose I was prolly asking for it.

I like the pose, it's very cheeky (warning: swearing)

I'll shed the hachigane asap tho, ribbons are for young girls...

*sass mode instantly reactivates* And ninjas.