Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387960 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12225 on: November 14, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »
Congratulations on your driving lessons, Haiz! :D
ahhh I don't have....... lessons yet........ I've merely decided to sign up for them haha

I love your little life-illustrations :)
But is it allowed to drive on public roads without a driving licence? - It's forbidden here (observing the law is a different matter though).
thanks!!
I have a practicing license, meaning I can drive if I'm with a sober adult who's had a licence for at least 5 years, and if I have an extra mirror and a red L somewhere visible. It seems like we've lost the extra mirror somewhere though.....

oh, ninja'd by fimby. have double the info!

2nd edit: we're getting close to 77 777 posts on the forum O: O: O:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:06:13 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12226 on: November 14, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
[snip]
That'll work on some I recon, but then you have
a) people like me, who don't trust no robots
b) people who've been driving manually ever since they got their first car and don't see the point
c) people who can't afford a new car

and so forth.
[snip]
Yeah? Good luck selling that idea in a democratic society. It won't happen because people don't like mandatory stuff and politicians don't like thinking about the tremendous costs involved.
It will most likely be implemented as most new safety standards in cars are. "All new cars sold after year 20XX will be required to be self-driving." No forced switching.
Selling the idea to most people will be easy. It's both safer and more convenient.
Pretentious? Moi?

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12227 on: November 14, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »
You can if you have a "legal adult" (cannot find a better term right now, basically a person above 25 years of age with at least 5 years of driving experience) with you and you have completed a theoretical course.

I have a practicing license, meaning I can drive if I'm with a sober adult who's had a licence for at least 5 years, and if I have an extra mirror and a red L somewhere visible. It seems like we've lost the extra mirror somewhere though.....

Oh, it's reasonabe (at least in places with not too much traffic), and clearly makes getting a driving licence less expensive.
No "you still need another three lessons before I ask for an exam date"...
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12228 on: November 14, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »
Oh, it's reasonabe (at least in places with not too much traffic), and clearly makes getting a driving licence less expensive.
No "you still need another three lessons before I ask for an exam date"...

Agreed! I learned to drive before I went to a driving school, but in Finland that's only legal if you drive on private roads. I did a lot of driving at out summer cottage area, wonderful experience on driving on pot-holed moon-terrain dirt roads and a learning experience on how my parents take to my driving. After that, my dad will always and forever sit on the backseat, him kicking the floor of the car by reflex every time he thinks I should be breaking already drives me up a wall...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #12229 on: November 14, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »
Agreed! I learned to drive before I went to a driving school, but in Finland that's only legal if you drive on private roads. I did a lot of driving at out summer cottage area, wonderful experience on driving on pot-holed moon-terrain dirt roads and a learning experience on how my parents take to my driving. After that, my dad will always and forever sit on the backseat, him kicking the floor of the car by reflex every time he thinks I should be breaking already drives me up a wall...
I learned to drive in massive suburban parking lots with my dad, and navigating my little lawn-mower-engined minibike all over the area on subdivision back roads.  The one time my Mom was going to give me lessons, she got the literal screaming heebie jeebies from sitting on the passenger side, screaming that I was about to hit the curb, mailboxes, road signs, whatever.  ::) :P  The first flat side road, I pulled over, gave her the keys, and walked back home.  I refused to drive her again until I got bullied into it at 22.  >:(  I don't remember much about that trip, but it wasn't the last.  I just never, ever, volunteered.  :-\ :-\
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12230 on: November 15, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »
I learned to drive in massive suburban parking lots with my dad, and navigating my little lawn-mower-engined minibike all over the area on subdivision back roads.  The one time my Mom was going to give me lessons, she got the literal screaming heebie jeebies from sitting on the passenger side, screaming that I was about to hit the curb, mailboxes, road signs, whatever.  ::) :P  The first flat side road, I pulled over, gave her the keys, and walked back home.  I refused to drive her again until I got bullied into it at 22.  >:(  I don't remember much about that trip, but it wasn't the last.  I just never, ever, volunteered.  :-\ :-\

Meanwhile my mum's so calm nothing seems to shake her. The world has lost a great driving instructor in her becoming an engineer instead.

And now for something completely different. I bought myself some sushi and, ok, so the order may have been on a large side for one but still, I picked it up and got home and then realized they had packed me all the additionals in pairs: double soy sauce, soy sauce plates, chopsticks etc. Are these people insinuating I eat worth two or what... D:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #12231 on: November 15, 2015, 12:10:18 PM »
And now for something completely different. I bought myself some sushi and, ok, so the order may have been on a large side for one but still, I picked it up and got home and then realized they had packed me all the additionals in pairs: double soy sauce, soy sauce plates, chopsticks etc. Are these people insinuating I eat worth two or what... D:
Maybe just thinking you could buy a meal for two without the possible second person and being thoughtful ? :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12232 on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Meanwhile my mum's so calm nothing seems to shake her. The world has lost a great driving instructor in her becoming an engineer instead.

…And I couldn't help thinking of this:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #12233 on: November 15, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
In Japan I am frequently offered two of everything if I am standing with a friend when I buy it, or if I have more than one "main dish". And if I go to a restaurant with a friend and only one of us orders a salad, sometimes they give us an extra bowl in case we want to share--even though the menu has different categories for one-person and shared salads and it's a one-person salad that has been ordered.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12234 on: November 15, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
Maybe just thinking you could buy a meal for two without the possible second person and being thoughtful ? :)
In Japan I am frequently offered two of everything if I am standing with a friend when I buy it, or if I have more than one "main dish". And if I go to a restaurant with a friend and only one of us orders a salad, sometimes they give us an extra bowl in case we want to share--even though the menu has different categories for one-person and shared salads and it's a one-person salad that has been ordered.

Japan is really unbeatable in things like this. Over here you usually have to request everything specifically (f.ex. this sushi place I like to go to seems to be entirely Icelandic-run) so getting extras was a bit surprising. I'm mostly just amused though, being used to Finnish customer service means any attempt at being nice to the customer is practically a bonus. :D

…And I couldn't help thinking of this:

Yes, very much my mother giving driving instructions.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12235 on: November 15, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »

Who cares, free soy sauce and chopsticks!

One day I'll try sushi. Maybe tomorrow actually, since I'm in Oslo - sitting on the 24th floor of a hotel bored out of my mind. Guess I'll poor a bath with decadent amounts of soap.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #12236 on: November 15, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
One day I'll try sushi. Maybe tomorrow actually, since I'm in Oslo - sitting on the 24th floor of a hotel bored out of my mind. Guess I'll poor a bath with decadent amounts of soap.
hey, there's lots to do at a hotel! you could............. uh........ yeah pouring baths with decadent amounts of soap is probably the most entertaining thing to do at hotels if you don't work there.
i didn't even know we had 24 floor buildings in norway.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12237 on: November 15, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »
hey, there's lots to do at a hotel! you could............. uh........ yeah pouring baths with decadent amounts of soap is probably the most entertaining thing to do at hotels if you don't work there.
i didn't even know we had 24 floor buildings in norway.

I did walk around Oslo by night for a couple of hours, but despite being surprisingly lively it was quite boring.

It used to be the tallest hotel in Northern Europe until the Swedes built a three meter taller one, because that's what they do. Sweden, "capital of Scandinavia", what a bunch of [redacted].

It's got a swimming pool on the 36th floor though, and a gym so narrow that you can jump from one side to the other on the 37th floor.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #12238 on: November 15, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »
I did walk around Oslo by night for a couple of hours, but despite being surprisingly lively it was quite boring.

It used to be the tallest hotel in Northern Europe until the Swedes built a three meter taller one, because that's what they do. Sweden, "capital of Scandinavia", what a bunch of [redacted].

It's got a swimming pool on the 36th floor though, and a gym so narrow that you can jump from one side to the other on the 37th floor.
whaaaaaaaaaaaat
I'm so used to Trondheim where, for the longest of times, it was illegal to build anythign taller than the cathedral. 37th floor

I'm going to oslo (again) in a couple weeks for another concert, but i'm not staying anywhere as fancy as a hotel. more like. the small cramped (but hopefully a little bit tidier than last time) flat of my friend. where we'll stay and play eldritch horror board games on the couch or something. aw yeah

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12239 on: November 15, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »

Did- you take the glass elevator? I'm a wimp who's afraid of heights, so that is a complete nu-uh for me, but if you're not, it might be worth doing? *has a really hard time giving advice on what to do in own city*

For those who wonder, if  Fimby is not talking about this place I'll eat my hat seriously question my knowledge of hotels in Oslo
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:16:07 PM by Unlos »