Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387350 times)

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12210 on: November 14, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
Surreal news. Thoughts and well wishes for all affected!

Stumbled on one of those cute-kitty-videos that sometimes overflows the social media. And now I can't not share it whith you guys, because it's derp-kitty! Right? Right! (If there is a spot wrong in the pattern, I don't care. It still is derpkitty)

So I can't embed facebook videos, so it's only the link.

Haiz behind the wheel: Haha, your reaction pics are the best!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12211 on: November 14, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
Welp, I'm marking Worldcon in my diary now. Fingers crossed, and all that!

Spoiler: haiz behind the wheel • show

I have no idea what Homestuck is but I found the rest rather funny!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12212 on: November 14, 2015, 11:58:36 AM »
I have no idea what Homestuck is but I found the rest rather funny!
it's a webcomic whose fandom has a rather... notorious reputation. most people don't know what it is so it's fine, it's just that I don't really wear this shirt much in public. partly because it's wayyy too big for me but that's what i get for ordering a men's shirt hahaha
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #12213 on: November 14, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »
@Haiz Good luck with the driving. It sounds like we both suffer from "OH NO I'M GONNA DIE" jitters. (And... this is why I still don't have my license yet; hopefully you will have more success.)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12214 on: November 14, 2015, 12:41:53 PM »

Wooooooooooo! Go Haiz! You can do it!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #12215 on: November 14, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »
It's nearly 7pm and I managed to do only one thing in my to-do list today. Well well well... *Sighs*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12216 on: November 14, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »
I eagerly await self driving cars. It's not just that I don't like driving it's also that I don't trust other drivers. Have you seen them? They're maniacs, other drivers are the worst! I absolutely trust computers more than them. I have no Idea how self driving cars are supposed to work in the winter though. When the roads are covered in a thick layer of snow and ice and there are small piles of snow on either side and the road signs are covered in snow you kind of just have to guess how you're supposed to drive there. Self driving cars will probably have some difficulty with that.
Pretentious? Moi?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12217 on: November 14, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
I eagerly await self driving cars. It's not just that I don't like driving it's also that I don't trust other drivers. Have you seen them? They're maniacs, other drivers are the worst! I absolutely trust computers more than them. I have no Idea how self driving cars are supposed to work in the winter though. When the roads are covered in a thick layer of snow and ice and there are small piles of snow on either side and the road signs are covered in snow you kind of just have to guess how you're supposed to drive there. Self driving cars will probably have some difficulty with that.

It's not as if you can force people to drive self-driving cars though. Even if such cars do come on the market I suspect most people will stick to driving their manual cars.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12218 on: November 14, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
Heck, forget other drivers, I wouldn't trust myself behind the wheel half the time. And don't forget, just a few years ago the idea of a computer controlling a car would have seemed like sci-fi full stop - so I have no doubt that sooner or later they'll get good enough to handle bad weather.

It's not as if you can force people to drive self-driving cars though. Even if such cars do come on the market I suspect most people will stick to driving their manual cars.
You could appeal to people's laziness. "No need to drive the car any more!" That's probably a decent incentive.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12219 on: November 14, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »
I believe that when self driving cars are commonplace we will quickly start to make them mandatory.
Pretentious? Moi?

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #12220 on: November 14, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
I believe that when self driving cars are commonplace we will quickly start to make them mandatory.

I think they're legal in some places in the US. I had to write an essay about them in my philosophy course two years ago. We were looking into how they know how to drive and how they know how to react and then comparing that to how humans know how to drive and react. It was pretty interesting. I haven't been following too closely, but I know at the time they were not able to handle rain. If it rained the person in the seat would have to take over.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12221 on: November 14, 2015, 03:29:29 PM »
You could appeal to people's laziness. "No need to drive the car any more!" That's probably a decent incentive.

That'll work on some I recon, but then you have
a) people like me, who don't trust no robots
b) people who've been driving manually ever since they got their first car and don't see the point
c) people who can't afford a new car

and so forth.

Yeah? Good luck selling that idea in a democratic society. It won't happen because people don't like mandatory stuff and politicians don't like thinking about the tremendous costs involved.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #12222 on: November 14, 2015, 03:41:04 PM »
Four new pages on this thread, and I'm too lazy to read it all.
Congratulations on your driving lessons, Haiz! :D

I should've taken driving lessons five years ago, but I didn't. Now my younger brother is going to start driving before I do, what a shame!

I went to our city's annual book fair with my family, and it was amazing! I love the book fair, there are so many people, so many food trucks and piles and piles of books! <3
And the weather was so nice! It wasn't too hot, which was very good, because the fair is really big and you have to walk a lot to see all the stands. I remember that two years ago at this same time of the year it felt like you were walking in a desert, and I pretty much wanted to die.
We also saw one of those german marching bands (I don't know if this is the correct translation), they were playing in the middle of the square and suddenly started walking through the stands, and everybody stopped to look at them.
The general mood was so nice, very happy and peaceful! :)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12223 on: November 14, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »

well now i gotta draw that too

I love your little life-illustrations :)
But is it allowed to drive on public roads without a driving licence? - It's forbidden here (observing the law is a different matter though).

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #12224 on: November 14, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »
I love your little life-illustrations :)
But is it allowed to drive on public roads without a driving licence? - It's forbidden here (observing the law is a different matter though).

You can if you have a "legal adult" (cannot find a better term right now, basically a person above 25 years of age with at least 5 years of driving experience) with you and you have completed a theoretical course.