Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409239 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11790 on: October 31, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »
Sooo the airlines messed up my ticket and now I don't have a place on the plane.

*attempts not to yell and run around the airport like a chicken with its head cut off*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #11791 on: October 31, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
Sooo the airlines messed up my ticket and now I don't have a place on the plane.

*attempts not to yell and run around the airport like a chicken with its head cut off*

D: OH NO. Were they able to put you on another flight that leaves within a reasonable time, at least?
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

« Reply #11792 on: October 31, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »

Tell me they'll find a solution ? *Offers tea while waiting next news, and pats pats Vi*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11793 on: October 31, 2015, 11:17:27 AM »
Tell me they'll find a solution ? *Offers tea while waiting next news, and pats pats Vi*

We're on hold with the ticket company. The airline is blaming the ticket company and the ticket company is blaming the airline.  :-\
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #11794 on: October 31, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »

Nightmare!
If I were in your place, I think I'd lose it and start running after the plane on the runway, but I'm sure it'll get sorted out.
Don't let them fob you off with a delayed flight either, by all rights you should be on that plane.

Mélusine

« Reply #11795 on: October 31, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
We're on hold with the ticket company. The airline is blaming the ticket company and the ticket company is blaming the airline.  :-\
Okay, but it's their fault anyway. You payed for your flight. They have to find a solution for you.

//FLIES IN ON A BROOMSTICK

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

*Tries to remember if she ever had something special for Halloween. Is not sure, excluding a birthday party at school years and years ago*
Have fun, all of you who'll celebrate it :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11796 on: October 31, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »
 I HAVE A WORKING PLANE TICKET NOW

*happy dance*

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11797 on: October 31, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »
I HAVE A WORKING PLANE TICKET NOW

*happy dance*

WOO! GO VI!
*happy dances too, just for good measure*
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #11798 on: October 31, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
I have also once liven a year in the official real life equivalent or Mordor - Birmingham, UK. Not kidding here, Tolkien was somewhat influenced by Bham when he wrote about Mordor.

Yeah, if my experience of the place is anything to go by, he prettied it up for the books :))
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11799 on: October 31, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
Yeah, if my experience of the place is anything to go by, he prettied it up for the books :))

It's been a while since Tolkien's time but I can say the place is still orc-infested, nightmarish, polluted and downright scary, although much depending on which part of the town you live in. I lived right next to Jewellery Quarter (on the other side of the canal) which at the time was about the worst place possible... a friend of mine lived in Perry Barr and I spent most of my weekends at her place because it was so much quieter there (and PB is not exactly a pleasant area either). So with all apologies to Brummies I would not live there again, it takes a certain spirit to survive Birmingham.

Oh, oh! I had another workplace story to share! I chanced to come across a work by one of Iceland's masters, Kjarval! I don't know who I should compare him to but imagine one of the most important artists of your homecountry, Kjarval is that to Iceland.

I had to take a small picture out of its frame, make it a new passe-partout, back cardboard and glass pane, the usual stuff. At first it didn't look anything fancy, just a print of a photograph on an old piece of yellowed paper with random, messy doodles of flowers, naked women and one viking ship all around it. Then my attention was drawn to an equally haphazard signature that seemed to read "Kjarval", although with that kind of handwriting you really can't know. Amused, I turned the frame around and true enough, the note behind it said "myndskreyting (= illustration), Jóhannes S. Kjarval"... I had some really nervous times working on that one. ;D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11800 on: October 31, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »
I made it hoooome! It's nice and below freezing here which is wonderful, and I'm probably going to see ruth later, so that will be fun!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11801 on: October 31, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
It's certainly the right weather for Halloween; we've got fog as dense as pea soup. I almost hit a deer with my car tonight as a consequence. It was faffing around in the middle of the road. If I hadn't seen the reflection of its eyes I would probably be washing venison stew off my car right now. Also, funnily enough all the stores in a nearby shopping centre have all their christmas stuff displayed. Didn't take them long to pack away the Halloween stuff and start focusing on the next money machine.

imagine one of the most important artists of your homecountry, Kjarval is that to Iceland.

His face is on a banknote so I guess he's the equivalent of our Edvard Munch. Their style is fairly different though.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #11802 on: October 31, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »
That gave me a delightful mental image involving hobbits and a bank in Mordor/Erebor.
Haiz confirmed for hobbit. again.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN even though it kinda ended in this timezone right now. oh well *stuffs self with leftover candy*
you'll know where to find me.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #11803 on: October 31, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Happy Halloween all! The celebrations are barely beginning here, heh.

Y'know, when I have my own house, and I'm the one handing out Halloween candy, I think I'll don a black cloak and a pure white mask. The children will knock, the door will open, and I'll hand out the candy in utter silence. Not a peep, not a reaction but a slow tilt of the head... then the door will close.

In other news, the trick or treating around here starts well before dinnertime, which I find kinda annoying, since it means many people lose the ability to eat in peace. Meh.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #11804 on: October 31, 2015, 07:30:19 PM »
In other news, the trick or treating around here starts well before dinnertime, which I find kinda annoying, since it means many people lose the ability to eat in peace. Meh.

I live in a university town. Last year in one building alone they called the ambulance 4 times and the police 5 times. The music has already started. I will be lucky to survive the night.