Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2437464 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #11295 on: October 09, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »
I wonder whether there exist some extra-sneaky headphone models that specifically project the BOOMBADABOOM outward to help turn the all-too-interested folks away, rather than directing the music inwards into the wearer's ears like usual ones do ...

Ye olde boombox should do the trick.

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #11296 on: October 09, 2015, 02:11:17 PM »
Just popping in to confirm that I'm alive. Currently beginning my second week of classes. The school's great, my roommates are awesome, the courses are exciting, and y'all probably won't be seeing much of me for the next, oh, three years or so.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #11297 on: October 09, 2015, 02:11:52 PM »
Today I begun my search for a temporary job for the summer. I'm a little nervous, I never had to do a job hunt before, it's kinda weird. Especially given that I'm not feeling really well, and life seems a little clouded right now, with so many decisions and the whole "what am I going to do with my life" phase.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11298 on: October 09, 2015, 02:32:20 PM »
First full week of work done. I'm so tired, but it's the good kind of tiredness, and I'm having a cozy evening with a very nice smoky-flavour dark beer. On Monday I'll be sitting at a framery shop alone, which makes me feel something in between excitement and dread (according to Haiz this feeling is called FLAIL) buuuuut I'm sure it'll all go fine. Remind me of my famous last words if not. :D

Then to whine a bit about papercuts. Don't read the spoiler if you don't want to know about papercuts in detail. There'll be papercuts in the spoiler.

Spoiler: show
So the passe-partout cutting machine we have at work does a really nice and clean 45° angle for the cardboard, both the window and the edges, but this means the edges are really, really sharp. Long story short I cut myself today in the thumb, right along the root of the nail. Not a shallow cut either, I actually bled on the floor a bit. D:

It makes my teeth hurt to think about it so of course I keep thinking about it...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11299 on: October 09, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »
I drove today for the first time in like a year (and before I was still only beginning to learn), and I actually did pretty well? Like I was fairly confident and everything it was wonderful. of course there was some internal freaking out going on, but all in all I freaked out a lot less than I had before.
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11300 on: October 09, 2015, 06:36:12 PM »
Spoiler: show
So the passe-partout cutting machine we have at work does a really nice and clean 45° angle for the cardboard, both the window and the edges, but this means the edges are really, really sharp. Long story short I cut myself today in the thumb, right along the root of the nail. Not a shallow cut either, I actually bled on the floor a bit. D:

It makes my teeth hurt to think about it so of course I keep thinking about it...

Root of the nail? Isn't that just the skin and bone part above the outermost finger joint? I'm surprised it's possible to cut deep there.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11301 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »
Root of the nail? Isn't that just the skin and bone part above the outermost finger joint? I'm surprised it's possible to cut deep there.

Go lengthwise. Ow. Still hurts to think of that.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11302 on: October 09, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
Just popping in to confirm that I'm alive. Currently beginning my second week of classes. The school's great, my roommates are awesome, the courses are exciting, and y'all probably won't be seeing much of me for the next, oh, three years or so.
Nooooooo, we would miss you and your wonderful drawings ! But all seems to be great for you, so enjoy ! :)

Daéa, good luck :) I didn't want to go to my appointment with the service supposed to help to find a job earlier in the week and all went... let's say well because it wasn't at all as awful as what I was fearing. You can do it ! *Hugs*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11303 on: October 09, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
Ow.

Let me tell you about that one time I cut through my nail and into the flesh beneath. Or not, suffice to say you should avoid that. Fun fact: humans have an extreme amount of nerves running just under the nails so that they can feel when their fingers touch something more easily.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:51:18 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11304 on: October 09, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »
Let me tell you about that one time I cut through my nail and into the flesh beneath. Or not, suffice to say you should avoid that. Fun fact: humans have an extreme amount of nerves running just under the nails so that they can feel when their fingers touch something more easily.

I'm doing my fiercest ICK ICK ICK -dance at the moment but as a craftsperson, these things just happen. Thankfully I've had no nail accidents but while goldsmithing I did occasionally clip myself with metal scissors, sawed into my finger or on one count grabbed a red hot piece of chain from middair (it fell while I was soldering it and my brain is legendary in giving DO SOMETHING -orders with very little practical thought going into the equation) so I can confirm, finger damage in general effing hurts.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #11305 on: October 09, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »

My uncle was making a coffee table and the wood slicer decided that it wanted the tips of his fingers. Now on one of his hands his fingers are flat across the top instead of different lengths.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
« Reply #11306 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
I'm doing my fiercest ICK ICK ICK -dance at the moment but as a craftsperson, these things just happen. Thankfully I've had no nail accidents but while goldsmithing I did occasionally clip myself with metal scissors, sawed into my finger or on one count grabbed a red hot piece of chain from middair (it fell while I was soldering it and my brain is legendary in giving DO SOMETHING -orders with very little practical thought going into the equation) so I can confirm, finger damage in general effing hurts.
Some of life's worst injuries come from crafting. Such as accidentally running your finger under the sewing machine needle as it's running. which reeeeally hurts.
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #11307 on: October 09, 2015, 07:22:56 PM »
My uncle was making a coffee table and the wood slicer decided that it wanted the tips of his fingers. Now on one of his hands his fingers are flat across the top instead of different lengths.

Fun fact time again, the worst accidents tend to always happen to the experienced ones. The people who know what they're doing, the people who get into routine and for one split second forget to watch what they're doing. It was mostly the students who got small cuts and burns, the ones to lose pieces of themselves were our teachers...

(And ok, a few students too but usually always because they were either a) trying to do something faster and in a not-so-safe way, or b) went to use a machine they had never used before without asking someone to show them the ropes first.)

Some of life's worst injuries come from crafting. Such as accidentally running your finger under the sewing machine needle as it's running. which reeeeally hurts.

*high five* I've done that too! And yes it does. Crafting just always comes with the fact that it takes blood, sweat and tears to make your vision real, literally.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #11308 on: October 09, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »

I'm rubbing my fingertips just reading this discussion.
My mom had the tip of her index finger cut off in a car door when she was a kid, so now she has one stubby finger. The worst I've gotten was my fingernail falling off after pulling out a couch bed the wrong way and, well, crushing my finger. Fun times, fun times.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #11309 on: October 09, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »
Not crafting, but cooking. I was helping my mom with opening up her manual food processor (whirling blades of death!) and and sliced most of one of my knuckles off. I managed to encourage it to grow back together, but my knuckle still looks a little weird.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: