Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387261 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1020 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:59 AM »
Since many Forumites are cat people, I thought you might like the latest strip from "Hijinks Ensue," a slice-of-life comic whose author (Joel Watson) follows Minna on Twitter.

In no way do I endorse taking humorous selfies of an unwilling cat.

http://hijinksensue.com/comic/totally-unprovoked/ 

His comments on today's strip:

In my home, I am beset on all sides but fuzzy dumbasses. Tivo, the brown and grey one, is a miserable, whiny grump who is terrified of essentially all things. He also doesn’t like to be touched below the waist. He SPECIFICALLY doesn’t like to be touched at the base of the tail. Naturally, I find great amusement in poking that spot like a sort of “whine button” whenever he’s getting on my nerves. The first few pokes elicit a whimper, the second few get an angry whine and a “why aren’t you dead yet?” glare, and with the last couple of pokes you just get blood. Just an impossibly fast, brownish-greyish, swipey blur and blood.

Tivo has injured me from time to time for no reason. Either because he is terrified of a shoe, or a box, or a shoe near a box or some other harmless juxtaposition of items he assumes I have arranged just so to cause him distress. Like I said: fuzzy dumbasses. These are the injuries I get angry about. But the tail poking injuries… I really can’t get upset with the cat for these. I am specifically provoking him and walking on the goddamn razors edge. GOD, I FEEL SO ALIVE! Wait, no. I mean foolish. So bloody and foolish.

Replay (the white and grey fuzzied dumbness depicted above) is less likely to cause a human, even a human provocateur, actual harm. He knows how to “play bite” where as Tivo only knows “do not stop until teeth touch bone.” Where as Tivo’s fight or flight response is set so far to “fight” that the knob is broken off, Replay’s is set to “find a happy place in your mind and go there. GO THERE AND NEVER LOOK BACK!”

When he wanders around the house screaming at full volume, despite having a full bowl of food, a clean litter box, no desire to go outside and every possible comfort a fuzzy dumbass could ever desire, I find myself inclined to do the one thing he hates more than anything: turning him upside down and carrying him around like a baby.

When I do this, he doesn’t actually attack me. His eyes sort of gloss over and he gets this look on his face that seems to say, “If I had a secret poison filled compartment in my tooth, I would be opening it right now.” But, he does stop screaming. So score one for the humans, I guess.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #1021 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »
Since many Forumites are cat people, I thought you might like the latest strip from "Hijinks Ensue," a slice-of-life comic whose author (Joel Watson) follows Minna on Twitter.

In no way do I endorse taking humorous selfies of an unwilling cat.

http://hijinksensue.com/comic/totally-unprovoked/ 

His comments on today's strip:

Ha ha ha ha, that's so cute. I haven't slept for over 24 hours.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1022 on: November 03, 2014, 09:42:02 AM »
Ha ha ha ha, that's so cute. I haven't slept for over 24 hours.

Well that's not smart.
Goodbye! School-time again!

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1023 on: November 03, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »
Well that's not smart.
Goodbye! School-time again!

You don't say...
 Mostly quiet.

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #1024 on: November 03, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
Till then carry on,
And miss me when I'm gone,
Don't let anyone,
Give you awaaaaaay...

Just carry on,
And miss me when I'm gone,
Don't let anyone,
Take my plaaace,
Take my place...

Random song quoting...
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

Raya

« Reply #1025 on: November 03, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
I wouldn't worry about how long it's going to take really, I started on the series in 2011 and am still going whenever vacations come around. I've never even started on The Hunger Games. I assume it's a lot like Battle Royale.

Despite what the author claims otherwise, it's pretty much a shameless rip-off of Battle Royale. My theory is that this is why the third book is so utterly shite: the first two books ripped off BR1 and 2, but she had nothing to go on for the third book and had to make it up herself. With terrible results.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Hunger Games...probably because it's a rip-off of my favourite film of all time ;D

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1026 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
Despite what the author claims otherwise, it's pretty much a shameless rip-off of Battle Royale. My theory is that this is why the third book is so utterly ****e: the first two books ripped off BR1 and 2, but she had nothing to go on for the third book and had to make it up herself. With terrible results.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Hunger Games...probably because it's a rip-off of my favourite film of all time ;D

Heh, I've still to watch Battle Royale... I probably will. One day. Still, while I like HG,I do agree with you, the third book is complete crap and I was very very annoyed when I discovered that it will be split into two movies. Who is stupid enough to make the worst book into two movies?!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1027 on: November 03, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »

Going to guess that Battle Royale is your favourite movie of all time.

Heh, I've still to watch Battle Royale... I probably will. One day.

One day when you're not 14 young lady.

(<---- watched Battle Royale at age 12'ish)

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1028 on: November 03, 2014, 05:13:48 PM »
Going to guess that Battle Royale is your favourite movie of all time.

(<---- watched Battle Royale at age 12'ish)

It's interesting, because Hunger Games rips off Battle Royale, and Divergent rips off Hunger Games, so now I'm waithing for something to rip off Divergent. Nobody's made a copy of Twilight though, thank god.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1029 on: November 03, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
It's interesting, because Hunger Games rips off Battle Royale, and Divergent rips off Hunger Games, so now I'm waithing for something to rip off Divergent. Nobody's made a copy of Twilight though, thank god.
50 Shades of Grey was actually an internet fanfiction of Twilight, when it started.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1030 on: November 03, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
50 Shades of Grey was actually an internet fanfiction of Twilight, when it started.

Aaaaaaaaagh!!! The cycle of story-recycling continues.......
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #1031 on: November 03, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »

I actually read and liked Twilight. I don't think hating something just because everyone else on the internet hates it makes you cool.
 Mostly quiet.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1032 on: November 03, 2014, 06:07:39 PM »
I actually read and liked Twilight. I don't think hating something just because everyone else on the internet hates it makes you cool.
I dunno, I read the first ten chapters and was like "nope". Also, speaking of doing what everyone else is doing,
have you ever been someplace, just kind of stopped paying attention to what's going on, then everybody else starts clapping, you start clapping because everybody else is, and you have no idea why you're clapping.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1033 on: November 03, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
I read twilight early in high school, and I liked them because I read the whole thing thinking it was full of humourous derpy sarcasm, I thought it was a rom com basically, but when I saw the movie I was like: "Oh no. It was all literal. I read it wroooooong." X'D

Ack, help my little sis set up her photography stuff and she is soooooooo unorganized. She's worse than ME!! ;___;  there shouldn't be this much exercise involved!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #1034 on: November 03, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
Photography just reminded me of that whole "Selfie Stick" thing, which, of course, there are people who just a whole bunch of pictures of themselves with that... not that I see anything wrong with it, but it just feels like "That's all you're using it for?" I mean, unless if like say, a newly-wed couple went on a honeymoon and loved the scenery and wanted to take a photo with both of them in it, that makes a bit of sense, since there wouldn't be anyone else around to take it for them. My mom told me about how people just spin around on the ground with those things in hand, and I can't seem to imagine it at the moment.

But I really would love to get one of those in case if I get to travel somewhere, and I would love to take photos to keep as memories.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: