Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410864 times)

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10980 on: September 28, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »
Was it a private school? Why would they give detentions for not having a hat? That seems strangely excessive.

It's actually not as excessive as you might think. Australia and New Zealand have one of the highest number of incidents of skin cancer due to sunlight (this stems from a higher than European level of UV and also a combination of people wanting to go outside and a random reluctance to wear sunblock/suncream/sunscreen). During summer, children get told to Slip, Slop, Slap and Wrap, even though now I have no idea what that means. It's a fairly common occurance in primary school for people to not be allowed to go outside in summer without a hat. People take sun safety very seriously here.

However, what's excessive is that it's detention in high school. That's quite serious for a school not located on the Gold Coast or summin. I mean, I'm pretty sure that New Zealand has a higher rate than Australia and after primary school, I've never really been told off for not wearing hats (though that might be me moving from Wellington to Auckland).

(It might also be me not ever going to a private school in New Zealand. It might be different.)
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10981 on: September 28, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »
It's actually not as excessive as you might think. Australia and New Zealand have one of the highest number of incidents of skin cancer due to sunlight (this stems from a higher than European level of UV and also a combination of people wanting to go outside and a random reluctance to wear sunblock/suncream/sunscreen). During summer, children get told to Slip, Slop, Slap and Wrap, even though now I have no idea what that means. It's a fairly common occurance in primary school for people to not be allowed to go outside in summer without a hat. People take sun safety very seriously here.

However, what's excessive is that it's detention in high school. That's quite serious for a school not located on the Gold Coast or summin. I mean, I'm pretty sure that New Zealand has a higher rate than Australia and after primary school, I've never really been told off for not wearing hats (though that might be me moving from Wellington to Auckland).

(It might also be me not ever going to a private school in New Zealand. It might be different.)

Ahh I guess that makes sense. Thanks :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #10982 on: September 28, 2015, 07:59:07 PM »
Yep. Slip (on a shirt) slop (on a hat) slap (on sunscreen) seek (shade. Because after all that you're still not allowed in the sun) and slide (on sunglasses). The song would be catchier if there wasn't a duck singing it. <_<

Yeah here the public schools don't really care what you wear. Even when I went to private school in California though, they never really cared about whether or not we had hats. It just surprised me that your school would be so strict about making you wear hats.
My school was strict about everything you wore: no necklaces, bracelets, hair clips hair ties and ribbons had to be regulation colours (navy blue) scarves had to be school brand, even if they're the same colour it has to be bought from the school shop, and gloves had to be black or navy. They only changed the uniform rules after my little sister got there: by making a school brand winter vest (not to be worn in public, for in-grounds use only) because they were fed up with detentioning girls for wearing non-uniform jackets under their blazers in winter. XD
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:02:45 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10983 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
My school was strict about everything you wore: no necklaces, bracelets, hair clips hair ties and ribbons had to be regulation colours (navy blue) scarves had to be school brand, even if they're the same colour it has to be bought from the school shop, and gloves had to be black or navy. They only changed the uniform rules after my little sister got there: by making a school brand winter vest (not to be worn in public, for in-grounds use only) because they were fed up with detentioning girls for wearing non-uniform jackets under their blazers in winter. XD
Oh jeez, that sounds really stressful. At my school it's pretty much "don't come to school butt naked." I mean, there are technically rules about skirt length and profanity on clothing and stuff, but nobody really cares unless you're flaunting.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10984 on: September 28, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
Oh jeez, that sounds really stressful. At my school it's pretty much "don't come to school butt naked." I mean, there are technically rules about skirt length and profanity on clothing and stuff, but nobody really cares unless you're flaunting.

^That's how it was at my high school, too. Pretty sure I saw some people wearing pajamas on separate occasions.

On the topic of detention, I got lunch detention once in sixth grade for forgetting to bring scissors, and I've been called out maybe twice for talking when I shouldn't... Piney, the rebel. For some reason I've never had a teacher hate me, and I've even talked back to a teacher who was just like "ok", when I'd seen other classmates get reprimanded for the same thing. I'm not even gloating; I honestly just don't understand.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #10985 on: September 28, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
Like a lot of people here, I got stuck in detention for reading when I wasn't supposed to. Oops.

And then there was the time I got into an Incident with another student. Well, okay, it was a couple different occasions. But, man, those jerks deserved it. Every time. (Wouldn't recommend fighting in school, though. Don't be like me, everyone.)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #10986 on: September 29, 2015, 05:40:02 AM »
Yeah? Would a public school be different.....?
Sun safety and sun cancer are big things here I guess :/ there were 2 hats you had to have: a school logo sunhat, and a school logo straw boater. You could not wear the boater as a sun hat it was only for when you were in public or for formal occasions. -A-

I guess the classic straw boater doesn't have enough brim compared to a sunhat?  The only one I ever found here was waaaayy back in 4th grade, and it was molded of styrofoam.  ::)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #10987 on: September 29, 2015, 06:00:11 AM »
Just found out that Salakirjat, a Finnish bookstore specialized in folklore, esotericicsm and "living history", is now selling a new print of Lönroot's in 1880 published book Suomen kansan muinaisia loitsurunoja ("The Ancient spell poems of Finland's folk"). It has almost 400 pages full of spells related to healing, hunting and everyday life. A real treasure for those interested in Finnish runo spells ;)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #10988 on: September 29, 2015, 06:38:30 AM »
Something weird happened to me today/yesterday: my aunt Facebook messaged my mom asking for help with her daughter's math homework. My mom asked me to help. I did it.

All good so far, right?

Well, it's 11:30pm here in New Zealand, my aunt's in the Philippines and the help I gave was basically a crash course in basic shading. I don't know how that happened. If anyone can tell me, I'd really appreciate that.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #10989 on: September 29, 2015, 06:44:59 AM »
Just found out that Salakirjat, a Finnish bookstore specialized in folklore, esotericicsm and "living history", is now selling a new print of Lönroot's in 1880 published book Suomen kansan muinaisia loitsurunoja ("The Ancient spell poems of Finland's folk"). It has almost 400 pages full of spells related to healing, hunting and everyday life. A real treasure for those interested in Finnish runo spells ;)

*A*
Want
Want want want waaaaant
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10990 on: September 29, 2015, 06:46:01 AM »
I always read during classes, but I was really good at hiding it, so I never got in trouble because of it. e_e
And I don't think brazilian school system has anything like detention. Actually, students nowadays can do pretty much whatever they want, and that's why our schools are completely chaotic.

Somewhat experienced the consequences of this... There were quite a lot of cultural conflicts between our teachers and Brazilian exchange students (university) when it came to classroom discipline. And punctuality  ::)
But they played the "we are cute, you love us and you won't be able to get angry at us seriously" card and got away with everything eventually. And now we totally miss them.

Elementary school punishments... once I was forced to eat food I really disliked - a stew-like dish made of lentil with sausages - I can't stand the sight or the smell of it ever since...

And of course I was scolded several times for making yarn bracelets and other creative products under the table  ;)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #10991 on: September 29, 2015, 06:54:17 AM »
*Opens the fridge, remembering her housemates had put some new things inside yesterday* So, it's past noon, what could I eat tod...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1frkinx4dfqt34u/P1000290.JPG?dl=0
Okay. Something else.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10992 on: September 29, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »
And of course I was scolded several times for making yarn bracelets and other creative products under the table  ;)

I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

*Opens the fridge, remembering her housemates had put some new things inside yesterday* So, it's past noon, what could I eat tod...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1frkinx4dfqt34u/P1000290.JPG?dl=0
Okay. Something else.

Not into auto cannibalism? :D

O_O That sounds amazing.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10993 on: September 29, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »
Meanwhile Lovely Planet makes an interesting article about the Finnish national dress. I'm not even sure if I'm offended, splitting my sides laughing or just massively confused but fact is there's not a single Finnish national dress pictured in that article (cosplayers and Sami people will no doubt find familiar things there though).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #10994 on: September 29, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »
Meanwhile Lovely Planet makes an interesting article about the Finnish national dress. I'm not even sure if I'm offended, splitting my sides laughing or just massively confused but fact is there's not a single Finnish national dress pictured in that article (cosplayers and Sami people will no doubt find familiar things there though).

That one woman almost looks like she's dressed up as the Red Queen to me(not meant to be offensive somehow, just what she reminds me of here). >_>;

Definitely not a traditional Finnish dress. It kinda reminds me of like, I don't know, something you would expect to see someone wearing in the Victorian era? Maybe?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:24:25 AM by Ari »