Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387205 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10680 on: September 22, 2015, 07:21:50 AM »
Also, I had a rain-fueled art need: what if..emil shook water everywhere like a fluffy dog and lalli is soaked and just horrified and highly offended like the look of utter disgust and mrrrrrdrrrrrr

That is a wonderful thought and I thank you for posting it. : D

I'm sorry you got wet, though! Tried to snow?! Ugh, awful.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #10681 on: September 22, 2015, 07:38:13 AM »
Oh oh oh you guys are discussing Dr Who? :D (*ditches previous attempts at discussion with non whovians u__u* You know who you are, I'm sorry. Your silent horror offends me not, it's cool. If you hide and don't answer the door, I will go away XP)
Spoiler: show
I grew up with the classic series (I'm not old...the tv station decided to rerun them in my early school years <_<) and I only ever missed one episode because I was on a school camp and everyone forgot to tape it for me. Never forget. It was an Ice Warrior one I'm pretty sure? Definitely Tom Baker U__U
But I liked them! The music.... XD I like the reboot series. The back-in-time historical ones are my jam....
Spoiler: rambled list • show
The werewolf one, the Agatha Christie one, the Pompei onnnnne, the Shakespeare oneeeee, Marie Antoinette, Charles Dickens, sort of the Cowboy one, the Orient Express In Space one, The Impossible Planet (omg that one aa) Van Gogh, like The Library, the Byzantium, also the creepy weeping angel house/Sally's environment etc you know. Ones set in a place and stuff? (the steampunk ones got a bit tiring for me and i love steampunk?!?)

The space-heavy ones...I just...space kinda freaks me out..and it just seemed a bit boring setting-wise for me. Like, the classic series had scene after scene shot in old quarries and stuff and that worked! But the latest ones...too much "typical grey moffat-ian spaceship slowly spinning in space" type sets. Kinda feels like a rip off to me, even though Dr Who's DEAL is space. Like, Moffat just tends to go with "random place in outer space" as the setting a lot (I was dreading/loathing the recent episode until they unspoilered the setting) and it's kinda boring? He doesn't do anything really interesting with it and the concrete interiors and over-glossy cgi exteriors just...have no...zing. Maybe that's just me. And when Moffat does use a setting, it's only for about thirty seconds or just so a character can emerge coolly, say some one-liner and then "snappy scene change" to another setting repeat for character after character ad nauseum until you're halfway through the episode with only half a clue of what the plot actually is only that it's apparently the biggest "battle" ever and the Dr is certainly going to die (Trenzalore, the recent one, the one with the random astronaut in the lake, mmmmaybe Pandorica etc etc etc) and then YES IT'S EXACTLY the "mystery in a mystery wrapped in a mystery" type thing and it just gets solved in the end and stuff..but nothing really happened?! Like, the new ones are getting fancier productions but less...I dunno, oomph. The classic series were so weird and every story went for like, ten million parts but they were still engaging and had cool ideas and stuff. The early reboot ones were also weird but they kinda had quality over quantity when it comes to audience connection? Like, I cried a lot at the sad episodes with 9 and Tennant, but I don't think I've felt much close connection at all with the 11 and 12 episodes so far? That I can remember? (Oh wait the Van Gogh one made me cry, but mostly because Van Gogh and Art feels)
And the latest ones are all just CGI Setting + ALL THE SETTINGS ONE SECOND EACH+ convoluted (not the good kind) plot + more characters then you can shake a stick at + EPIC MUSIC + supposedly high stakes every time but it kinda feels a bit over-produced and flat occasionally. Like, they just shove stuff at you and the monologues/speeches/lines seem kinda unrelated to the story sometimes for me, like they wrote it Just Because and it was Clever. Which it always is, but it doesn''''t hhhhhhavevvevve connectiiivvveveveve ooommmppphh[/spoiler]

Oh gosh Im so sorry for just blurghing out a Who rant ;___; Imma put the whole thing under a spoiler
I agree with you, and oh, yes, the one with the Library was wow ! And the one with Van Gogh just gave me the envy to go back to Orsay's Museum :)
Someday I should maybe try the "old" ones...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #10682 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:44 AM »
That is a wonderful thought and I thank you for posting it. : D

I'm sorry you got wet, though! Tried to snow?! Ugh, awful.
:D (can...cccan someone draaaaw eeeeet? u__u)

yeah, I had just come to accept that I need to buy lighter pullovers for the new spring weather and then suddenly, sleet, freezing cold bed (still on the camp bed <_< haaaa) and no sleep and then just cold drippy sadness before the Catullus lecture.

Ignore the meter <_< or the fact that it's a load of baloney and just me throwing words

Most multidisciplinary of Nature's weather-
That is, that was, that would be ever-
Most varied of seasons, Early Spring:
Best thanks in the world from this small Owl Thing,
Least waterproof of all students. Truly, never
was there a less rain-ready gal whatsoever
That of all the seasons, you're most clever.

(based of the Len Krisak translation
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:00:14 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10683 on: September 22, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »
:D (can...cccan someone draaaaw eeeeet? u__u)

yeah, I had just come to accept that I need to buy lighter pullovers for the new spring weather and then suddenly, sleet, freezing cold bed (still on the camp bed <_< haaaa) and no sleep and then just cold drippy sadness before the Catullus lecture.

Ignore the meter <_< or the fact that it's a load of baloney and just me throwing words

Most multidisciplinary of Nature's weather-
That is, that was, that would be ever-
Most varied of seasons, Early Spring:
Best thanks in the world from this small Owl Thing,
Least waterproof of all students. Truly, never
was there a less rain-ready gal whatsoever
That of all the seasons, you're most clever.

(based of the Len Krisak translation

*Ping!*  You said the magic word:  Catullus.  I love his poetry -- I took a whole semester of it in college.  Of course, at our super-slow Latin translation speed we didn't get through more than a sampling of his work, but it was enough to get me hooked.  I like not just his cleverness and emotional depth (I'm convinced if he lived nowadays he'd be in an emo band) but the occasional show-offiness (yes, and the naughty bits too). 

Your poem is terrific!    :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10684 on: September 22, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »
Oh oh oh you guys are discussing Dr Who? :D (*ditches previous attempts at discussion with non whovians u__u* You know who you are, I'm sorry. Your silent horror offends me not, it's cool. If you hide and don't answer the door, I will go away XP)
I grew up with the classic series (I'm not old...the tv station decided to rerun them in my early school years <_<) and I only ever missed one episode because I was on a school camp and everyone forgot to tape it for me. Never forget. It was an Ice Warrior one I'm pretty sure? Definitely Tom Baker U__U
But I liked them! The music.... XD I like the reboot series. The back-in-time historical ones are my jam....
The werewolf one, the Agatha Christie one, the Pompei onnnnne, the Shakespeare oneeeee, Marie Antoinette, Charles Dickens, sort of the Cowboy one, the Orient Express In Space one, The Impossible Planet (omg that one aa) Van Gogh, like The Library, the Byzantium, also the creepy weeping angel house/Sally's environment etc you know. Ones set in a place and stuff? (the steampunk ones got a bit tiring for me and i love steampunk?!?)

The space-heavy ones...I just...space kinda freaks me out..and it just seemed a bit boring setting-wise for me. Like, the classic series had scene after scene shot in old quarries and stuff and that worked! But the latest ones...too much "typical grey moffat-ian spaceship slowly spinning in space" type sets. Kinda feels like a rip off to me, even though Dr Who's DEAL is space. Like, Moffat just tends to go with "random place in outer space" as the setting a lot (I was dreading/loathing the recent episode until they unspoilered the setting) and it's kinda boring? He doesn't do anything really interesting with it and the concrete interiors and over-glossy cgi exteriors just...have no...zing. Maybe that's just me. And when Moffat does use a setting, it's only for about thirty seconds or just so a character can emerge coolly, say some one-liner and then "snappy scene change" to another setting repeat for character after character ad nauseum until you're halfway through the episode with only half a clue of what the plot actually is only that it's apparently the biggest "battle" ever and the Dr is certainly going to die (Trenzalore, the recent one, the one with the random astronaut in the lake, mmmmaybe Pandorica etc etc etc) and then YES IT'S EXACTLY the "mystery in a mystery wrapped in a mystery" type thing and it just gets solved in the end and stuff..but nothing really happened?! Like, the new ones are getting fancier productions but less...I dunno, oomph. The classic series were so weird and every story went for like, ten million parts but they were still engaging and had cool ideas and stuff. The early reboot ones were also weird but they kinda had quality over quantity when it comes to audience connection? Like, I cried a lot at the sad episodes with 9 and Tennant, but I don't think I've felt much close connection at all with the 11 and 12 episodes so far? That I can remember? (Oh wait the Van Gogh one made me cry, but mostly because Van Gogh and Art feels)
And the latest ones are all just CGI Setting + ALL THE SETTINGS ONE SECOND EACH+ convoluted (not the good kind) plot + more characters then you can shake a stick at + EPIC MUSIC + supposedly high stakes every time but it kinda feels a bit over-produced and flat occasionally. Like, they just shove stuff at you and the monologues/speeches/lines seem kinda unrelated to the story sometimes for me, like they wrote it Just Because and it was Clever. Which it always is, but it doesn''''t hhhhhhavevvevve connectiiivvveveveve ooommmppphh[/spoiler]

Oh gosh Im so sorry for just blurghing out a Who rant ;___; Imma put the whole thing under a spoiler
Sorry, Owl. XD  I was going to wait the necessary 3-4 years that it takes for me to motivate myself to watch shows, and /theeeen/ respond.  Seriously, it takes me ages to decide to watch anything... especially if it's on Netflix or something. u__u
Either way: *patpats*
Feel free to PM.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #10685 on: September 22, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »
Sorry, Owl. XD  I was going to wait the necessary 3-4 years that it takes for me to motivate myself to watch shows, and /theeeen/ respond.  Seriously, it takes me ages to decide to watch anything... especially if it's on Netflix or something. u__u
Either way: *patpats*

I too am quite a slow one to choose and i never bring myself to start any, but when i do i just burn through it as fast as i can taking like two days watching a 50 episode anime.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10686 on: September 22, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
I too am quite a slow one to choose and i never bring myself to start any, but when i do i just burn through it as fast as i can taking like two days watching a 50 episode anime.

Same... I might have once watched the whole Mushishi in one go. I've also marathoned at least Gurren Lagann, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent and Tatami Galaxy - oh, also Mawaru Penguindrum (but I don't recommend marathoning this one unless you're some level of a masochist). :-[
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10687 on: September 22, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
oh, also Mawaru Penguindrum (but I don't recommend marathoning this one unless you're some level of a masochist). :-[

22nd of October Laufey confirmed that they were indeed an incurable penguin masochist. Mawaru Penguindrum marathons? Rivets and pleather? Woolen coats in Sweden on a summer day? Rotten foods? Delicious torment.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:22:58 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #10688 on: September 22, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
22nd of October Laufey confirmed that they were indeed an incurable penguin masochist. Mawaru Penguindrum marathons? Rivets and pleather? Woolen coats in Sweden on a summer day? Rotten foods? Delicious torment.

As my defense I don't actually enjoy the pain! D: Well - ok - Mawaru Penguindrum is an exception and the foods too, but sewing pleather or wearing wool on a hot day, that's for cosplay and cosplay is suffering.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #10689 on: September 22, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
Okay, today I drew more than I have drawn in a long long time. But I drew.

I drew a couple of OCs.

I copied (without tracing though) art of a couple of webcomic characters and tried to break them into basic shapes so I could understand them better.

I traced and broke down into shapes a greek statue.

I made a silly thumbnail of a drawing I am planning to make, of the crew climbing a giant cake.

Today was a good day.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #10690 on: September 22, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »
I think I do... Boom Town, right? The one where there's a Slitheen in Cardiff?
Someday I will watch the entire classic series. It's on my list.

(I tried once and failed miserably)

Yeah, okay. I have to agree with you about "The Wedding of River Song". That episode was so lame. :/
And The Silence really don't have a bigger role other than have an interesting way of making people forget things.

For your second sentence : it is Moffat weakness for me ; he come with interesting ideas, and all seems so good and huge during more than half the season and... he don't give a proper end for several of them, as if it had been forgotten, which is a bit a shame for me because it could really have been good and huge :)
But I think I'll try the new season, I'm still a little curious.

Hey, Whovians, any objection to my moving the discussion of "Dr. Who" to the TV/Movies Thread?  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=213.0

I'd like to see this not get buried in the usual mad rush of General Discussion comments.  I keep hoping I might *someday* get around to watching Dr. Who.  Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get one of those Victorian Novel Diseases where I have to spend 3 months in bed?  (But not the kind of Victorian disease where I also have to spend those three months in the dark so as not to strain my scarlet fever/measles/whatever-infected eyes.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #10691 on: September 22, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
Hey, Whovians, any objection to my moving the discussion of "Dr. Who" to the TV/Movies Thread?  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=213.0

I'd like to see this not get buried in the usual mad rush of General Discussion comments.  I keep hoping I might *someday* get around to watching Dr. Who.  Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get one of those Victorian Novel Diseases where I have to spend 3 months in bed?  (But not the kind of Victorian disease where I also have to spend those three months in the dark so as not to strain my scarlet fever/measles/whatever-infected eyes.)
Of course you can :) If you promise us not having a too bad Victorian disease.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #10692 on: September 22, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
Hey, all (especially Curry, Red Cloud, Haiz, Yuuago, etc....)

In late August there was a discussion on this thread of Tumblr and why/how to do it.  Started around here:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=5.msg61701#msg61701

Viola and I meant to move this discussion to a more specific thread where it'd be easy to find again... and then in the hustle and bustle of moving/new school year, we didn't.  I'd still like to extract and preserve that discussion.  Where would you like it?

1) In the Other Social Medias thread?  (Despite that thread's first post, we either don't have a thread dedicated to Tumblrs, or I'm overlooking it.)
2) In a Tumblr-specific thread, if we have one?
3) If not, create a new Tumblr-specific thread? 
4) Something else? 

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10693 on: September 22, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
Hey, all (especially Curry, Red Cloud, Haiz, Yuuago, etc....)

In late August there was a discussion on this thread of Tumblr and why/how to do it.  Started around here:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=5.msg61701#msg61701

Viola and I meant to move this discussion to a more specific thread where it'd be easy to find again... and then in the hustle and bustle of moving/new school year, we didn't.  I'd still like to extract and preserve that discussion.  Where would you like it?

1) In the Other Social Medias thread?  (Despite that thread's first post, we either don't have a thread dedicated to Tumblrs, or I'm overlooking it.)
4) Something else?
other social medias sound fine for me, unless the OP wanted that thread to be specifically to list up forumite's other social media channels......
you'll know where to find me.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10694 on: September 22, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
4) Something else?

Well, we have the SSSS Tumblr thread, where most people just posted their normal/personal blogs, related to SSSS or not - but I think Other Social Medias is fine since some people posted their unrelated-to-SSSS tumblr blogs there, IIRC.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: