Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387411 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10485 on: September 16, 2015, 03:55:33 PM »
Today has been a very adult day. I went to the post office, did laundry, I applied for jobs, I got my proof of residency, and now I'm going to go register to vote.

Oh dang, does this mean I have to speak like a Real Adult to you too? Uh... briefcase. Taxes. Get off my lawn! >:O
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10486 on: September 16, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
Oh dang, does this mean I have to speak like a Real Adult to you too? Uh... briefcase. Taxes. Get off my lawn! >:O

Haha no you're fine Curry :P

Thank you everyone else! I feel like I'm getting the hang of this and it's a great feeling :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #10487 on: September 16, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
Hello! Sorry for being off-topic but
I just started school and this is so cool :0 unintentional rhyme
I'm in the laST YEAR OF JUNIOR SCHOOL. SEND HELP. My new teacher said that everything is "light" this week but next week we are all going to die. Nice.
Spoiler: show
Also, I might be a little bit in love with my catalan teacher. Oh my god-

So yeah, that's all
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #10488 on: September 16, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »
in my recent spurt of my deleting all my old accounts, i deleted my old youtube channel. all videos gone. poof. bye.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #10489 on: September 16, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »
Hello! Sorry for being off-topic but
I just started school and this is so cool :0 unintentional rhyme
I'm in the laST YEAR OF JUNIOR SCHOOL. SEND HELP. My new teacher said that everything is "light" this week but next week we are all going to die. Nice.
Spoiler: show
Also, I might be a little bit in love with my catalan teacher. Oh my god-

So yeah, that's all
Enjoy the infatuation!!  While it lasts, take comfort that there is no need whatsoever to say a single mumblin' word about it.   :D  Just...enjoy, and like a good camper, leave no trace.  :)

It doesn't always work, but it's a good approach.  ;)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #10490 on: September 17, 2015, 02:09:54 AM »
Enjoy the infatuation!!  While it lasts, take comfort that there is no need whatsoever to say a single mumblin' word about it.   :D  Just...enjoy, and like a good camper, leave no trace.  :)

It doesn't always work, but it's a good approach.  ;)

Hahah, thanks!! ^^
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #10491 on: September 17, 2015, 02:15:10 AM »
I've not been here in a while (and I won't be able to return for a while either), but I think our Pacific members need to know about this:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/earthquake-in-chile-rocks-capital-santiago?CMP=fb_gu
I know it says "earthquake in Chile", but it was huge and a tsunami/strong wave warning is going out across the Pacific.
Stay safe.

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #10492 on: September 17, 2015, 05:02:28 AM »
I've not been here in a while (and I won't be able to return for a while either), but I think our Pacific members need to know about this:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/earthquake-in-chile-rocks-capital-santiago?CMP=fb_gu
I know it says "earthquake in Chile", but it was huge and a tsunami/strong wave warning is going out across the Pacific.
Stay safe.
Thanks for the heads-up. It looks like my region will be okay, and I hope everyone else will be safe too.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #10493 on: September 17, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
Stay safe.

Stay safe, and good luck, everyone.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #10494 on: September 17, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
Stay safe.
Oh no that's terrible :(
What do the numbers mean on the map? I'm so bad at chart-maps

On a totally different topic, (:/ awkward topic change) I made biscuits today: lime-coconut melting moments.
Spoiler:  a cookie tale • show
Last time I made them they got eaten too fast and only lasted a day, so I endeavoured to make them smaller so there would be more biscuits to go 'round. (I couldn't double the recipe because I only had the exact amount of butter for one dough batch) So I popped them in the oven and went up the other end of the house to fold the mountain of washing, which would take about fifteen minutes.

However, I was really stupid. REALLY STUPID. I should have remembered this but \;o;/ I forgot instead: Because the biscuits were smaller, they needed waaaaay less time in the oven. Simple facts. And I only realised this when I was walking into the kitchen, so the final metres to the oven were a mad rush and I nearly forgot to put oven mitts on to get the trays out and... they were very...um...well, what I could see of them after the smoke cleared...
They were toast. And I nearly cried because I had no more butter to make a second batch, and I put so much effort into the lime taste balance and and and. (I was less upset over "there are no biscuits" than "I wasted 125grams of butter. Our last butter.") I got brave and tried one. I had to spit it out and get a drink. Just, nO.

And then, I suddenly thought "...What would Mikkel do?" >:3c

So I meticulously sorted out the charcoal biscuits from the "yeah I can cover that up" burnt biscuits, and sorted them into pairs (I was one ok-biscuit short so I used a dead-biscuit shhhh) and went to make the icing. I then remembered that I had no more butter and therefore could not make butter icing. So I just used milk instead, which required a LOT more icing sugar to get a decent consistency <_< And it tasted REALLY BAD.

So I rummaged through the pantry and found a ye olde bottle of coconut flavouring (a miracle omg) and put some into the icing. Still tasted bad, but now also coconutty. Smelt great though so at least the burnt smell wouldn't be noticed. ;) So I limed it up (forgetting that citric fruit juice and milk just....u_u) and slathered it onto the biscuits to glue them together. It was a mess. But a functional mess.
I put all the little biscuits onto a plate and dusted them with more icing sugar (cavity grenades u__u) to cover up the burnt colour, and put them in the fridge.

My dentist sister gets home, exclaims "I CAN SMELL BISCUITS YESSSSS" goes straight to the fridge, grabs a biscuit and EATS IT. I was like O___O" and asked if it was ok-tasting <_<
Apparently it was "Really yummy, the icing is a bit sweet, *takes two more* why?"
U____U
MIKKEL I HOPE YOU'RE PROUD /;__;/

How they looked last time (and I thought they were burnt then!):

Death-biscuit:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:12:18 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

eyjafjallajoke

« Reply #10495 on: September 17, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
On a totally different topic, (:/ awkward topic change) I made biscuits today: lime-coconut melting moments.
Last time I made them they got eaten too fast and only lasted a day, so I endeavoured to make them smaller so there would be more biscuits to go 'round. (I couldn't double the recipe because I only had the exact amount of butter for one dough batch) So I popped them in the oven and went up the other end of the house to fold the mountain of washing, which would take about fifteen minutes.

However, I was really stupid. REALLY STUPID. I should have remembered this but \;o;/ I forgot instead: Because the biscuits were smaller, they needed waaaaay less time in the oven. Simple facts. And I only realised this when I was walking into the kitchen, so the final metres to the oven were a mad rush and I nearly forgot to put oven mitts on to get the trays out and... they were very...um...well, what I could see of them after the smoke cleared...
They were toast. And I nearly cried because I had no more butter to make a second batch, and I put so much effort into the lime taste balance and and and. (I was less upset over "there are no biscuits" than "I wasted 125grams of butter. Our last butter.") I got brave and tried one. I had to spit it out and get a drink. Just, nO.

So I meticulously sorted out the charcoal biscuits from the "yeah I can cover that up" burnt biscuits, and sorted them into pairs (I was one ok-biscuit short so I used a dead-biscuit shhhh) and went to make the icing. I then remembered that I had no more butter and therefore could not make butter icing. So I just used milk instead, which required a LOT more icing sugar to get a decent consistency <_< And it tasted REALLY BAD.

So I rummaged through the pantry and found a ye olde bottle of coconut flavouring (a miracle omg) and put some into the icing. Still tasted bad, but now also coconutty. Smelt great though so at least the burnt smell wouldn't be noticed. ;) So I limed it up (forgetting that citric fruit juice and milk just....u_u) and slathered it onto the biscuits to glue them together. It was a mess. But a functional mess.
I put all the little biscuits onto a plate and dusted them with more icing sugar (cavity grenades u__u) to cover up the burnt colour, and put them in the fridge.

My dentist sister gets home, exclaims "I CAN SMELL BISCUITS YESSSSS" goes straight to the fridge, grabs a biscuit and EATS IT. I was like O___O" and asked if it was ok-tasting <_<
Apparently it was "Really yummy, the icing is a bit sweet, *takes two more* why?"
U____U

Death-biscuit:

Those look extremely tasty either way! I love baking. I haven't baked in awhile, though, not much for me to make.

On another note, I'm home from school sick, lazing around in bed, so you might be able to expect me to be on a little more than usual. Yay..?

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10496 on: September 17, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
Oh no that's terrible :(

Possibly hours until the main wave/tsunami reaches a given area.

The tsunami forecast looks like this:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:42:13 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10497 on: September 17, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
Possibly hours until the main wave/tsunami reaches a given area.

The tsunami forecast looks like this:

Wow, that's a really dramatic map!  The path of the biggest projected waves looks like a horizontal volcanic explosion.

Despite the severity of the disaster, it speaks well of Chile's planning that relatively few people have died.  If a quake that big had happened somewhere with less resilient architecture, the deaths could have been in the thousands. 

Speaking of big quakes, some of you on the West Coast of the U.S. and Canada may not have seen this big investigative story on the surprisingly high risks of quake damage to the Pacific Northwest.  (Overdue for a big quake and underprepared, according to the article.)  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

What Fimby said:  Hours till the Big Wave from the quake reaches that line. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10498 on: September 17, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

Mmmmm.  Would you share the recipe in the recipe thread?
Also, points for MacGyvering a nifty solution to a cookie problem.   8)

U____U

Death-biscuit:

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #10499 on: September 17, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
>snip<

U____U

Death-biscuit:

Yon's a muckle o' Mikkel, Owl.  Well Done!! ;D (Extremely well-done; someone had to say that ;) . )

Re: your sister, as one gets older ones taste buds adapt so that anything one didn't personally have to cook tastes at least two times better--usually three. :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:52:57 AM by DaveBro (Phasing out "ReturnOf") »
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)