Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411610 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #960 on: October 31, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Juuust kidding  ;)
Thank you for the praise, it's appreciated.
::)
I really did enjoy it.  :)

People are screaming outside my apartment, now.  College is weird.

Also, my neighbors are some of the most disgusting people I've ever met.  They don't take out their trash, they just leave it outside their door.  They've had a pretty big pile their for a while now, but the raccoons found out a couple nights ago, and have been stalking our building ever since.  Yesterday when I left for work, there was half of a sub sandwich sitting directly in front of the door and 5 torn trash bags on the other side of the porch, with old food scattered in front of their door.  It's been more than a day and a half and it's still not clean.  I thought athletes were more diligent...
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #961 on: October 31, 2014, 10:13:32 PM »
::)
I really did enjoy it.  :)

People are screaming outside my apartment, now.  College is weird.

Also, my neighbors are some of the most disgusting people I've ever met.  They don't take out their trash, they just leave it outside their door.  They've had a pretty big pile their for a while now, but the raccoons found out a couple nights ago, and have been stalking our building ever since.  Yesterday when I left for work, there was half of a sub sandwich sitting directly in front of the door and 5 torn trash bags on the other side of the porch, with old food scattered in front of their door.  It's been more than a day and a half and it's still not clean.  I thought athletes were more diligent...

Fffff, I'm glad I don't have your neighbors. All of mine are very pleasant to live with, though I will agree that university's weird.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #962 on: October 31, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
Fffff, I'm glad I don't have your neighbors. All of mine are very pleasant to live with, though I will agree that university's weird.
The raccoons are still cute, though.  I was doing laundry last Wednesday, and the baby raccoon was like 1m away from me and ran half way up a tree and stared at me.  Then he climbed back down and scampered/waddled off.  I saw the dad raccoon today on my porch (next to my neighbors' pile of trash)  and he ran off down the stairs to safety.  They're like chubby little ferret-cats with masks... probably not good pets though.
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #963 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
The raccoons are still cute, though.  I was doing laundry last Wednesday, and the baby raccoon was like 1m away from me and ran half way up a tree and stared at me.  Then he climbed back down and scampered/waddled off.  I saw the dad raccoon today on my porch (next to my neighbors' pile of trash)  and he ran off down the stairs to safety.  They're like chubby little ferret-cats with masks... probably not good pets though.

Probably not. We have a bunch of hedgehogs here. Sometimes when I'm out at night I almost step on them because they're so small and they don't really run away.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #964 on: October 31, 2014, 10:43:27 PM »
We have a bunch of hedgehogs here. Sometimes when I'm out at night I almost step on them because they're so small and they don't really run away.

In our neighborhood, we have a bunch of cats, at least five, and every. Single. one of them is black. I pet one today. :P

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #965 on: October 31, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
In our neighborhood, we have a bunch of cats, at least five, and every. Single. one of them is black. I pet one today. :P

We have... Moles. I think I'm going to twist an ankle "walking" across the yard one of these days because I forgot it was uneven and was running. We need to level it. Or a cat. Or both.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #966 on: October 31, 2014, 11:00:21 PM »
Probably not. We have a bunch of hedgehogs here. Sometimes when I'm out at night I almost step on them because they're so small and they don't really run away.
You mean hedgehogs can't run?  You should teach them how to.

We have some cats who prowl around campus over here.  We aren't allowed to pet or feed them because the school doesn't want us to be able to sue if one of us gets scratched. 

More screaming.  The prankster brought a motorcycle, and I thought it was a chainsaw from in here...
Also, I just remembered, I'm going to Scarowinds tomorrow!  (Halloween season version of a local amusement park)  It's gonna be spooky scary.
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #967 on: November 01, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »
We have... Moles. I think I'm going to twist an ankle "walking" across the yard one of these days because I forgot it was uneven and was running. We need to level it. Or a cat. Or both.

We have a few of them as well, thankfully they live in an area surrounded by tarred ways. Even though the tarr is only about 2-3 inches thick and layed upon earth they are not tring to get on the other side. Considering the mass of hills displaing on the meadow it must be pretty crowded for them now.

We have ginger tigers going around here. Three of them but none of them related. One is always sitting on the window ledge peering into the kitchen while I'm cooking meals. If I move too close to the window I frighten her off though I never intended to do so.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #968 on: November 01, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »

You need a Norwegian Elkhound! Preferably a fat, round one.
We had an elkhound named Blaze when I was a teenager.  Although the breed wasn't intended to dig up prey (since they have blunt noses and big snowshoe paws), he liked to go after moles in the lawn. 

Occasionally he'd catch one.  And then I'm afraid he'd treat it like a hacky sack -- toss it in the air, kick it around, and then throw it on the ground and roll on it.  They were sad, flat little mole-silhouettes when he was through with them.  We'd look out the window and say "Oh, there goes Blaze -- steamrolling his moles again..."
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #969 on: November 01, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »
You need a Norwegian Elkhound! Preferably a fat, round one.
We had an elkhound named Blaze when I was a teenager.  Although the breed wasn't intended to dig up prey (since they have blunt noses and big snowshoe paws), he liked to go after moles in the lawn. 

Occasionally he'd catch one.  And then I'm afraid he'd treat it like a hacky sack -- toss it in the air, kick it around, and then throw it on the ground and roll on it.  They were sad, flat little mole-silhouettes when he was through with them.  We'd look out the window and say "Oh, there goes Blaze -- steamrolling his moles again..."

Um, are there huskies or German Shepherds mixed into it? These dogs look really nice though I fear the proportion of legs and body might be a problem when they get old? Our latest cat did the same with mice. Always show (look you big guys, nice present for you) and play (ha! you mice shall receive the largest expanse of fear possible).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #970 on: November 01, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
Just woke up from a weird dream involving my high school building complex and how time would behave strangely iin two different ways across this unseen divide.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #971 on: November 01, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Um, are there huskies or German Shepherds mixed into it? These dogs look really nice though I fear the proportion of legs and body might be a problem when they get old?
Our latest cat did the same with mice. Always show (look you big guys, nice present for you) and play (ha! you mice shall receive the largest expanse of fear possible).

According to Wikipedia and the American Kennel Club, the Norwegian Elkhound is a pure breed, though related to similar "spitz"-type Nordic dogs with thick coats and curly tails (which would make Blaze a distant cousin of Hannu's Ville!).  They are medium-sized, sturdy dogs, better for covering distances than speed.  They probably share some ancestry with Huskies, Klee Kai, and similar sled dog breeds, but the latter are taller, with straight tails and different facial markings -- probably closer to the ancestral wolf type. 

Elkhounds are prone to getting fat.  Blaze was practically circular in cross-section!  He would get tired after just a short run and start dragging his claws on the pavement.  (It's probably just as well; our family home was next door to a nature preserve full of deer, and he would have gotten into trouble if he'd ever actually caught one.)

Because my dad got him at the animal shelter, we never knew if Blaze was pure-bred.  But he looked so much like all the breed photos (including the "characteristically friendly expression" that Wikipedia mentions) that we felt sure he was an Elkhound.  He certainly barked enough for one!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #972 on: November 01, 2014, 09:47:53 PM »
Just woke up from a weird dream involving my high school building complex and how time would behave strangely iin two different ways across this unseen divide.
Whoah! I had a terrible dream yesterday about evil trees..... I drew a picture that I'll post up later, because they seemed really familiar and I thought someone here might recognize it...or not....

Aaaagh... We moved the bull this morning. It was one heck of a trial because he was pretty mad for some reason and therefore decided to buck like crazy in your face, attempt to ram you, tried to trample a seven-year-old (I don't know where she appeared from, but she was nearly a pancake) and wreak havoc in someone's English Country Garden after he leaped over their fence and through a hedge O___O
He also decided to turn around, barge through us and run back up the road....three times, which meant I had to do three times the running to overtake him every time, whilst not being run over by a senile and deaf grandfather in a ute. Just......sooooo many things went wrong.
And I personally think it was because Dad has lost his ability to plan a simple round-up, and upped his expectations of everyone carrying out his plan no-questions-asked and that plus an irritable and very heavy bull equals so much NOPE.

Buuuut we got him in the end, everything turned out ok, and I had to lie down on the road like a starfish when it was over because aaaaaaaaagghghahahahhhasdfghjkl

End rant.... U___U
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #973 on: November 01, 2014, 09:51:48 PM »

Aaaagh... We moved the bull this morning. It was one heck of a trial because he was pretty mad for some reason and therefore decided to buck like crazy in your face, attempt to ram you, tried to trample a seven-year-old (I don't know where she appeared from, but she was nearly a pancake) and wreak havoc in someone's English Country Garden after he leaped over their fence and through a hedge O___O
He also decided to turn around, barge through us and run back up the road....three times, which meant I had to do three times the running to overtake him every time, whilst not being run over by a senile and deaf grandfather in a ute. Just......sooooo many things went wrong.
And I personally think it was because Dad has lost his ability to plan a simple round-up, and upped his expectations of everyone carrying out his plan no-questions-asked and that plus an irritable and very heavy bull equals so much NOPE.

Buuuut we got him in the end, everything turned out ok, and I had to lie down on the road like a starfish when it was over because aaaaaaaaagghghahahahhhasdfghjkl

End rant.... U___U

Wow!  That sounds terrifying but also hilarious.  Owl, I think you need to start a comic strip based on your family.  I picture "For Better or for Worse" with a big injection of Australian badassery!   ;)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #974 on: November 01, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
Soooo... I've pretty much lost my voice entirely. Whenever I try to talk I squeak unintelligibly. If I want to be understood I have to whisper and even that sounds a little odd.