Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409309 times)

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10095 on: September 05, 2015, 09:07:53 AM »
I know there are several schools in Norway that offer animation, but most of them are like. 3d animation. maybe this one has traditional 2d animation but it would probably still require me to move out of trondheim ha ha

I'LL BE READY ONE DAY

Volda is small compared to Stavanger, so there might be an element of deprivation, for sure.
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Marienara

« Reply #10096 on: September 05, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
So, I had entered the black hole of the internet, and was clicking around on a few sites when I came upon this list. I was thrilled that both SSSS and aRTD were included, but they got the description totally wrong. So wrong I'm pretty sure they've never even read the comic...

A post-apocolypic tale of a bumbling space crew trying to explore a new world. It’s focused on the interpersonal relationships of the crew with some magic and monsters. Beautiful old-timey art.

here's a link to the page if any of you want to comment about it.

http://www.geeksvip.com/the-18-best-webcomics-you-should-be-reading/6/?ipp=3&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=ijammedia-whatsonnetflix&utm_content=AgingHorriblyUSDesktop&utm_campaign=AgingHorribly

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10097 on: September 05, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »
Volda is small compared to Stavanger, so there might be an element of deprivation, for sure.
it's not about the size of the place, it's moving out in general I'm not really ready for. or I'm starting to get ready, but not ready enough.
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10098 on: September 05, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »

Volda might be small in size, but its heart is big (trust me, I know. I have family there).

At least it's got more Norwegian character than pretentious, noveau-rich Stavanger.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10099 on: September 05, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »
At least it's got more Norwegian character than pretentious, noveau-rich Stavanger.
goshdarn stavanger that stole trondheim's spot as 3rd biggest norwegian city, to boot
you'll know where to find me.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #10100 on: September 05, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »

"space crew"? "new world"? That's... interpreting it creatively, to say the least.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #10101 on: September 05, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
HELP HELP
MY PHOTOSHOP IS EATING PARTS OF MY ART PROJECT AND I DONT KNOW WHYYYYY???

I'm making gif sets, and I opened up an older finished one...and the background layer is gone and giant square chunks have vanished from the top animation layer???? And then the same thing is happening with the one I just 'finished': it plays fine, then the background layer gets weird and has cut out a zig zag of on of the ye olde layers I merged ages ago into the background layer and...???? It even uploads like that, the weird chunks gone and I don't know what to dooooooo I've never worked with photoshop before have I done something wrong????????

If anyone knows anything that could help....... ;_____;

Spoiler: the chunks • show

don't mind the poopy animation i need to fix it <_<
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #10102 on: September 05, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
HEY GUYS I'M REALLY FEELING STARTING MY PRACTICE COMIC RIGHT NOW AND I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION!! Has anybody heard of any free websites to host comics on? This particular one has been in the works for about a year or two and I actually have a beginning and end planned with a reasonably nice middle (which is probably going to be incredibly shortened from what I originally planned because I just decided to swap my practice and real comic plans, ehehe)

I have been maniacally researching this for Reasons. So far I've found:

Smackjeeves: as RTR said. I've heard dubious things about it, but it seems to be okay enough.

ComicFury is another hosting site like Smackjeeves; you get a subdomain and free-ish reign from there.

Tapastic: Really nice site + built in readerbase. Downsides are that you can't customize the design of anything, site-wise. They also have an endless-page-by-page-scrolling format, which is nice, but I find is very impractical for long-form, single-page-update comics (if you binge read like me all the pages you end up loading causes the browser to lag).

Webtoons: Same as Tapastic with the built-in readerbase/ site-wide design. Lenny is probably more knowledgeable on this. I prefer the pagination of this site over Tapastic, but that's just me.

Non-comic specific sites are, obviously, any blogging site like Wordpress.com, Blogger, and Tumblr. The latter two are great if you're paranoid about how your site will look, and as a plus can also integrate with Disqus. (Since you're already on tumblr you probably have a better idea of all the drawbacks/ benefits than me.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:55:11 AM by mithrysc »

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10103 on: September 05, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »
This morning has been quite an adventure. Our uni has activities for the first week and in order to participate you have to buy a wrist band so they can keep the under 17s seperate from the over 18s for alcohol purposes. So I finally find my group and I wait in line and I get to the front and realize I have the wrong ID. So I go back to my room, get my ID, come back and line up. I get to the front again and the ID works and I'm all ready to pay and then they only take cash. So now I have to go find an atm and get cash. I get back, and now I'm in the line for the 3rd time. Hopefully everything will work out this time and I'll be able to go eat lunch or something in a nice air conditioned place.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10104 on: September 05, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
I'm back in New York! My room is basically a closet and it's across from the trash dumping room, but at least the room's all mine. :P
...except that the wifi is dreadful how am I going to live

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #10105 on: September 05, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »
I just made a funny association: the names Tuuri and Lalli sound very much like the musical terms duuri and molli, "major key" and "minor key". Now I can't help thinking of Tuuri as a joyful melody and Lalli as a melancholy one =D
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #10106 on: September 05, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
I just made a funny association: the names Tuuri and Lalli sound very much like the musical terms duuri and molli, "major key" and "minor key". Now I can't help thinking of Tuuri as a joyful melody and Lalli as a melancholy one =D

That's... actually very fitting, for those two. : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #10107 on: September 05, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #10108 on: September 05, 2015, 12:40:14 PM »
HEY GUYS I'M REALLY FEELING STARTING MY PRACTICE COMIC RIGHT NOW AND I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION!! Has anybody heard of any free websites to host comics on? This particular one has been in the works for about a year or two and I actually have a beginning and end planned with a reasonably nice middle (which is probably going to be incredibly shortened from what I originally planned because I just decided to swap my practice and real comic plans, ehehe)

A year or two ago I would have recommended Inkblazers, but that one is gone, gone, gooooone... so...

I'd go for Tapastic or Webtoons myself. Webtoons is great if you actually really do want to become a proper paid comic artist - if you're a regular updater with a comic that's good, chances are you'll get into the paid section easy. Webtoons also has a nicer scrolling format. A lot nicer. Tapastic is a bit eh on the loading side of things. Must add that Webtoons is made for webtoons, not one page comics (as in made for entire chapters/episodes to be uploaded at one time and then read by scrolling down - if you're familiar with Korean webtoons, that's what it's made for), but it can be used for one page comics regardless. I will also add that I have seen no option for seeing viewer counts - in other words, on the statistics side of things, Webtoons is not that great. There is also an additional note that if you ARE an officially Webtoons-paid artist (this doesn't go for the casual!), they do want original content that isn't hosted somewhere else. i.e., don't go publishing it on an individual site as well as Webtoons. (Disclaimer: this info is from several months back, they may have changed it since - due to initial translation errors and other things the Terms of Service do change every now and then.)

If you want to go more casual, I'd go Tapastic. It's basically replaced Inkblazers, and is working much more successfully than Inkblazers ever did. It's also got a more neutral colouring than Webtoons. I'm not sure how the paid side works, but heard nothing horrible about it, and a huge amount of well-known comic artists upload their stuff there. It also has no restrictions on where else it is allowed to be hosted, as far as I'm aware. Gamercat, for instance, is on Tapastic as well as the author's own site with no problems.

Thing with both of these is that they're pretty much forced to be good. Webtoons is done by NAVER, who owns the largest part of South Korea's webtoon industry (as well as pretty much being South Korea's Google) and has a huge amount invested in keeping a good reputation. Tapastic could be considered Webtoons's rival, and aims to be the largest international comic site online. Coincidentally also located in South Korea, heh. Both have the aim of actively pleasing both the artists and readers, which means that the chances of being ripped off by either is pretty low, and if problems do happen, they will attempt to rectify it very soon if you contact them. It's similar to publishing in a wellread magazine, if you choose one of these two - even on the unpaid/casual parts of it.

If you want a pretty website matched with the comic, then you're going to have to go Smackjeeves or Tumblr or Wordpress or Blogger or similar. That's like self-publishing, and you're going to have to have an already decent amount of followers to have some advertisement for it, and/or invest in advertising techniques. It also, obviously, involves having the time to set up the website as you want it. If you want to invest this time, awesome, perfect. If you just want to publish the comic and focus on that... I'd choose something else.

tl;dr : My recommendation is Tapastic, if you're going to be doing this on a casual basis and don't want to invest time and effort in choosing/tweaking/designing a template that fits the comic + do not have a large amount of followers. If you DO, then go ahead and go with Tumblr! You know it pretty well, and I am guessing most of the people who follow your art are on Tumblr: a plus, they don't have to get to know a new website for it then. Also, don't feel restricted to one website. You can publish on multiple: I know several that publish on deviantART, Tapastic, and also on their own private website. (The reasoning behind this is to keep as large a readerbase as possible.)

I chose Webtoons because I am a really really really big webtoon fan. (There are other reasons, notably that it was holding a pretty huge contest at the time and I needed money, but that's the biggest. I am ridiculous, yes.)

Also... feel free to ask whatever else you'd like. I'll answer to the best of my ability, or attempt to point you in the right direction.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #10109 on: September 05, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
Smackjeeves.com. Nothing fancy, but freebie.
Oh yes! Prague Race used to be on there before Hiveworks took it in, it worked fine :)
I have been maniacally researching this for Reasons. So far I've found:
[sneep snop]
A year or two ago I would have recommended Inkblazers, but that one is gone, gone, gooooone... so...
[sneep snop]

So far I'm torn between ComicFury, Smackjeeves, and Tapastic. I've looked up a couple reviews since and they're all inconsistent as to whether ComicFury or Smackjeeves is better, and I'm intrigued by Tapastic's layout, but I'd probably be updating one page at a time instead of whole chapters :\ Tumblr is certainly an option and then I could get my theme done with the help of m-ew (who's RAD at themes) but I'm not sure how convenient it seems navigation-wise. Huuuuuu I'll decide soon enough

SCREECHES IN EXCITEMENT
FELLOW EXCITED SCREECHING
YEET