Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410383 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10005 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »
yeah let's not discuss this further. It's also worthy to note that Norwegian city culture is all about avoiding strangers on the street, and that what I consider Not Rude At All may be seen as contemptuous other places, so keep that in mind^^" plus here religion is seen as a very private thing and pda is also... no.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:00:00 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #10006 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
yeah let's not discuss this further. It's also worthy to note that Norwegian city culture is all about avoiding strangers on the street, and that what I consider Not Rude At All may be seen as contemptuous other places, so keep that in mind^^"

Yeaaah sorry about starting this :/

Also, a place where you can avoid people sounds nice xD People are hard to deal with ;_;

Let us talk about uh... Uhm....

Oh hey. Yesterday I went to Verona. I'll soon have pics to share but:

- I bought a VERY VERY PRETTY mask! It's in the pics thread for those of you that I still have not forced to look at it.
- I visited Giulietta's House, which would've been nice except SO MANY PEOPLE. Also, lots of love souvenirs, ugh. Hearts and locks and love stuff. No books or anything interesting. Also, there is a statue of Giulietta. Touching her breasts apparently brings good luck. Definitely not a strategy for certain kinds of people...
- I saw the Arena, which honestly looks epic, but getting inside costs too much. Also, there were giant pharaoh (is that even how you spell it) statues outside, which was hilarious because it's a Very Italian thing. Such Italian. Much Renaissance.
- Tourists. So many tourists. And expensive food because tourist city. I starved the whole day ;_;
- I got a cute old-style pocketwatch for €3. It probably doesn't work but it's awesome to look at.
- Oh right, apart from the pharaoh statues we saw Roman soldiers and Egyptian ladies. We were very confused until we also saw a giant ad for a staging of Aida in the Arena. Everything is now clear.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:05:50 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #10007 on: September 03, 2015, 03:28:53 PM »
- I bought a VERY VERY PRETTY mask! It's in the pics thread for those of you that I still have not forced to look at it.
- I visited Giulietta's House, which would've been nice except SO MANY PEOPLE. Also, lots of love souvenirs, ugh. Hearts and locks and love stuff. No books or anything interesting. Also, there is a statue of Giulietta. Touching her breasts apparently brings good luck. Definitely not a strategy for certain kinds of people...
- I saw the Arena, which honestly looks epic, but getting inside costs too much. Also, there were giant pharaoh (is that even how you spell it) statues outside, which was hilarious because it's a Very Italian thing. Such Italian. Much Renaissance.
- Tourists. So many tourists. And expensive food because tourist city. I starved the whole day ;_;
- I got a cute old-style pocketwatch for €3. It probably doesn't work but it's awesome to look at.
- Oh right, apart from the pharaoh statues we saw Roman soldiers and Egyptian ladies. We were very confused until we also saw a giant ad for a staging of Aida in the Arena. Everything is now clear.

I was going to say something along the general gist of what Nimphy said before but nevermind

The mask is very very pretty! *still wants to travel all over*

...I confess that I was obsessively researching/looking at cloaks/cloak patterns over the weekend, and that turned into a mask & cloak discussion with a friend. Someday when I'm rich and famous I'll be able to afford a mask from Merimask. (Either that I'll venture out to a fabric store and buy several yards of cloak-appropriate-fabric, which might be (slightly) cheaper.)

And yeah, tourists and expensive tourist food. Whenever we travel I always get super concerned that we're being annoyingly tourist-y, for some reason? I don't know. But for the last few times we've travelled with friends who are very good at 1) planning and 2) finding places that aren't ridiculously expensive, which means so far we haven't succumbed to "very tired very hungry must stop at first place to eat." Except museums which give you no other choice

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #10008 on: September 03, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »
I was going to say something along the general gist of what Nimphy said before but nevermind

The mask is very very pretty! *still wants to travel all over*

...I confess that I was obsessively researching/looking at cloaks/cloak patterns over the weekend, and that turned into a mask & cloak discussion with a friend. Someday when I'm rich and famous I'll be able to afford a mask from Merimask. (Either that I'll venture out to a fabric store and buy several yards of cloak-appropriate-fabric, which might be (slightly) cheaper.)

And yeah, tourists and expensive tourist food. Whenever we travel I always get super concerned that we're being annoyingly tourist-y, for some reason? I don't know. But for the last few times we've travelled with friends who are very good at 1) planning and 2) finding places that aren't ridiculously expensive, which means so far we haven't succumbed to "very tired very hungry must stop at first place to eat." Except museums which give you no other choice

Ooh yes! That is my biggest concern! Like, yesterday I was super-nervous because we were behaving like typical tourists and I thought we might be stupid and annoying, but yeaaaah not much of a choice.

Also, another fun fact, when we were visiting Giulietta's house there was her tomb, plus some others. Only that getting out of the room was difficult without stepping on them, and I actually said "Sorry, mr. Francesco." out loud as I tried my best not to step too much on his tomb xD
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10009 on: September 03, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
And yeah, tourists and expensive tourist food. Whenever we travel I always get super concerned that we're being annoyingly tourist-y, for some reason? I don't know.

I know the feeling well. Sometimes it's fun to be the regular tourist, but I like to go places that are off the beaten track. I rarely know where those places are, however.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #10010 on: September 03, 2015, 03:46:32 PM »
I like to go places that are off the beaten track. I rarely know where those places are, however.

That's the thing. As soon as a place is well know it will quickly be flooded by tourists, provided it's not too exotic or exclusive.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #10011 on: September 03, 2015, 03:51:52 PM »
I feel so completely totally for facepalming right now. I mean, everybody's been talking about mad max fury road for quite a while now, and I only just realized that this was not the old movies with Mel Gibson. Even after I googled Furiosa because of cosplay reference thing, that fact had escaped me!
...Carry on.

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #10012 on: September 03, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
I feel so completely totally for facepalming right now. I mean, everybody's been talking about mad max fury road for quite a while now, and I only just realized that this was not the old movies with Mel Gibson. Even after I googled Furiosa because of cosplay reference thing, that fact had escaped me!
...Carry on.

... that's hilarious. thank you for relaying this story.
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #10013 on: September 03, 2015, 10:38:57 PM »

yEAH GOODBYE G O O D B Y E byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Spoiler: explanation • show

its my fimfiction account. as in my little pony. as in yes its just as bad as you think.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #10014 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
AAAaaaaaahhh! My kitty tried to attack the forum logo because it was turning into the gold disk X'D haha
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:31:53 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #10015 on: September 04, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »

yEAH GOODBYE G O O D B Y E byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Spoiler: explanation • show

its my fimfiction account. as in my little pony. as in yes its just as bad as you think.

what did you do

AAAaaaaaahhh! My kitty tried to attack the forum logo because it was turning into the gold disk X'D haha
THAT IS SO CUTE

today
I was a useful member of society
and voted
for the second time in my life
i feel like a privileged member of roman society

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10016 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »
So my mom tells me, like right before we're about to leave, that my stepfather's coming to New York with us...... and that just ruined any excitement I had for today. :/

But anyways, goodbye friends, I must go

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #10017 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
So my mom tells me, like right before we're about to leave, that my stepfather's coming to New York with us...... and that just ruined any excitement I had for today. :/

Good luck Piney, I hope all will be all right even if your day isn't exactly what you were waiting for *Hugs*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #10018 on: September 04, 2015, 11:10:45 AM »
today
I was a useful member of society
and voted
for the second time in my life
i feel like a privileged member of roman society

Haiz's Adult Quest:  Leveled up

What sorts of things were you voting on?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #10019 on: September 04, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »

crossing fingers that it won't be all bad!

Haiz's Adult Quest:  Leveled up

What sorts of things were you voting on?
*google translate* umm, county and municipal elections?? I turned 18 the year of the last election, that happened to be for the whole country/prime minister, so that was an intense adulthood debut.